View Poll Results: Loved it? Hated it? What did you think, padawans?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - The Force is strong with this one.

8 36.36%

4 18.18%

4 18.18%

3 13.64%

1 4.55%

1 4.55%

0 0%

1 4.55%

0 0%
  • 1 - Not even cool new light sabers could help this!

0 0%
Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast
    Banned

Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)

I thought the film deserved it's own thread instead of being clogged up in the Disney buy's Lucas one.

Release date is December 18, 2015

Star Wars: Episode VII will be directed by J.J. Abrams (Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek) and is being scripted by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi). Shooting is scheduled to begin spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios.
    Last edited by WickedJenn; 12-30-2016 at 08:24 AM.

And thus my beautiful thread about Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm will wind up at the bottom of this section.

Nah, I agree it's time this film had its own thread. With shooting scheduled to begin in 4-6 months, we should have more info about the casting pretty soon.

The Force is Strong!!! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Training the next generation of Jedi legends
    It needs its own sub category with different threads. It's just a cultural phenomena ...and I'd go far as to say bigger than any Batman /Superman movie that may come.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 05-31-2016 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkphoenix21 View Post
    t needs its own sub category with different threads. It's just a cultural phenomena ...and I'd go far as to say bigger than any Batman /Superman movie that may come.
    Depends on what you mean by that. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises put up worldwide numbers comparable to the prequels. TDK's domestic gross was actually better. Inflation adjusts things a little bit, but not to the point where they aren't in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward Galaxy View Post
    Depends on what you mean by that. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises put up worldwide numbers comparable to the prequels. TDK's domestic gross was actually better. Inflation adjusts things a little bit, but not to the point where they aren't in the same league.
    I don't think he was talking about money.

Quote Originally Posted by jon-el87 View Post
    I don't think he was talking about money.
    Yep, I was referring to what they are, not how much they'll make/ have made.

Quote Originally Posted by darkphoenix21 View Post
    Yep, I was referring to what they are, not how much they'll make/ have made.
    Then, I don't know what you mean. How much money a movie makes informs us as to how many people bother to go watch it. How is Star Wars bigger or more important if the same number of people see it?

Incurable Postaholic DA_Champion's Avatar
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Then, I don't know what you mean. How much money a movie makes informs us as to how many people bother to go watch it. How is Star Wars bigger or more important if the same number of people see it?
    You're not doing a full actuarial analysis that accounts for comic books, novels, video games, action figures, etc.

Here are the facts. Disney thought that Marvel was worth 4 billion dollars. A few years later, they thought that Star Wars + Indiana Jones was worth 4 billion dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
    You're not doing a full actuarial analysis that accounts for comic books, novels, video games, action figures, etc.

Here are the facts. Disney thought that Marvel was worth 4 billion dollars. A few years later, they thought that Star Wars + Indiana Jones was worth 4 billion dollars.
    I'm not disputing the argument. I'm just asking on what he/she is basing it.

Here's a fact, too... While Disney was willing to pay 4 billion dollars for Star Wars + Indiana Jones, Warner Bros considers DC so valuable that they haven't sold it.

Superman and Batman also sell comic books, novels, video games, action figures, posters, clothes, statues, graphic novels, etc...

If the cultural impact of Star Wars is so much greater than Batman and Superman, prove it. You can't use the movies, because that's a wash with Batman straight up. So, where's the argument? Again, I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just asking why you think it's right.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 11-08-2013 at 03:11 PM.

I'm not disputing the argument. I'm just asking on what he/she is basing it.

Here's a fact, too... While Disney was willing to pay 4 billion dollars for Star Wars + Indiana Jones, Warner Bros considers DC so valuable that they haven't sold it.

Superman and Batman also sell comic books, novels, video games, action figures, posters, clothes, statues, graphic novels, etc...

If the cultural impact of Star Wars is so much greater than Batman and Superman, prove it. You can't use the movies, because that's a wash with Batman straight up. So, where's the argument? Again, I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just asking why you think it's right.
    I'm not sure how one would measure cultural impact. It also doesn't make sense to compare a 1938 product to a 1977 product. Why not compare the cultural impact of Superman to that of The Illiiad?

I meant more in terms of what's going to be more valuable, here on out. Disney assesses Marvel and LucasFilms as equally valuable, or at least nearly equal. They have access to a lot more data than we do, and they asses Star Wars

WB would not sell DC to Disney unless Disney overpaid, for the same reason Pepsi would not sell Tropicana to Coke unless they overpaid. You don't give up an entire sector.

I'm not sure how one would measure cultural impact. It also doesn't make sense to compare a 1938 product to a 1977 product. Why not compare the cultural impact of Superman to that of The Illiiad?

I meant more in terms of what's going to be more valuable, here on out. Disney assesses Marvel and LucasFilms as equally valuable, or at least nearly equal. They have access to a lot more data than we do, and they asses Star Wars

WB would not sell DC to Disney unless Disney overpaid, for the same reason Pepsi would not sell Tropicana to Coke unless they overpaid. You don't give up an entire sector.
    Well, then my original question to the original poster still stands.

Let's just say DC and Marvel are comparable in terms of value. One could argue that Marvel is ahead, but probably only because of very recent successes, and they owe some of that to film franchises currently controlled by Sony and Fox. Keep in mind, we are talking about the impact of motion pictures, Star Wars VII vs. Superman/Batman. If Marvel is worth around the same price as Lucasfilm, and DC is comparable to Marvel, then the value of DC properties are comparable to Lucasfilm, assuming both are steered correctly from a creative standpoint (or at least similarly).

We've already determined that the Star Wars movies sell equal to the best Batman movies. So, it's a draw there.

Star Wars does incredible numbers in the merchandise categories, but it's not like Superman and Batman symbols aren't on underwear and lunchboxes from Miami to Malibu.

So, exactly how is the cultural impact of a new Star Wars movie greater than that of a Superman/Batman crossover? Based on what? Again, I'm not disputing it, but I don't see any evidence to support it either.

Ok....I never meant to say movies or meant Batman Superman (meaning the next movie) I meant as a brand (Superman or Batman); it was my mistake and didn't have a chance to correct my post. Someone got what I meant to say. Anyway.. as in everything: movies, merchandise, comics, etc. Star Wars as a brand is a MONSTER compared to what is the brand of Batman or Superman and it will continue to be so in the next wave of those things to come. But...before you guys go posting crazy it was all meant as my own personal opinion.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 11-08-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Well, then my original question to the original poster still stands.

Let's just say DC and Marvel are comparable in terms of value. One could argue that Marvel is ahead, but probably only because of very recent successes, and they owe some of that to film franchises currently controlled by Sony and Fox. Keep in mind, we are talking about the impact of motion pictures, Star Wars VII vs. Superman/Batman. If Marvel is worth around the same price as Lucasfilm, and DC is comparable to Marvel, then the value of DC properties are comparable to Lucasfilm, assuming both are steered correctly from a creative standpoint (or at least similarly).

We've already determined that the Star Wars movies sell equal to the best Batman movies. So, it's a draw there.

Star Wars does incredible numbers in the merchandise categories, but it's not like Superman and Batman symbols aren't on underwear and lunchboxes from Miami to Malibu.

So, exactly how is the cultural impact of a new Star Wars movie greater than that of a Superman/Batman crossover? Based on what? Again, I'm not disputing it, but I don't see any evidence to support it either.
    There's also a huge number of geeks out there who come off like their lives are ruined by the Star Wars prequels. MoS was hated by people but I don't know that a lot of people or any people in fact are arguing that their lives are destroyed. It hasn't gotten the same hate as Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones. That implies a smaller contingent of ultra rabid fans :-)

Funnily enough I had a similar discussion with someone recently. The debate was about which film will have the biggest box office success in 2015: MOS 2, Avengers 2 or Episode VII. I agree with darkphoenix that Star Wars in general is a pretty huge brand. Is it bigger than Marvel and DC's? It's not for me to say and I am not sure how I would even measure that. However, my early feeling is that Episode VII won't be the the biggest hit that year. Marvel has a lot of momentum, so I feel Avengers 2 will top the list. Out of those 3 films. Not in general. Avatar 2 might give it a run for its money in that category.

As for Episode VII, with 3D technology and the return of the 3 original lead characters I feel it will surpass the Phantom Menace in overall gross.

There's also a huge number of geeks out there who come off like their lives are ruined by the Star Wars prequels. MoS was hated by people but I don't know that a lot of people or any people in fact are arguing that their lives are destroyed. It hasn't gotten the same hate as Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones. That implies a smaller contingent of ultra rabid fans :-)
    I don't necessarily agree. Superman has been around and active across a wide variety of mediums for a while, whereas Star Wars was primarily 3 movies and some books for a very long time (but mostly just the 3 movies to a lot of people). Superman fans have a lot more to grasp onto than Star Wars fans, a lot more to fall back on.

The two also catered to somewhat different generations. Star Wars was specifically huge from 1977-1983, which means it was that 15-35 year old generation that was responsible for the entirety of the craze. Superman and DC have a more diverse generational appeal because they've been big and around at a bunch of different times and groups. Thirdly, Man of Steel was bad in a different way. It didn't pander to younger audiences the way the first prequel did with Jar Jar Binks and Kindergarten Jedi. Finally, maybe most people think Man of Steel was just plain better. But I don't think Superman fans are any less rabid.

Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast