Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Crucible?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic episode. Really set the stage for even more storylines, and I feel like Moira would even know a thing or two about the League of Assassins, as she did mention to her lawyer that some things may never be said again. Sara asking where Slade is was definitely interesting to hear and Sebastian "Brother" Blood using that green stuff. What was that? Vertigo? Some other kind of drug to create an army(maybe an early form of the Venom drug)?

HATED that they actually re-cast Sara and used Caity in those flashback scenes in the Gambit, but I guess Sara Lance is now our Rachel Dawes, lol.

Originally posted by Liko
    I loved this episode. We now know Sara is alive and back. I'm going to guess from the flashback she was looking for Ollie. We know brother blood is big bad villain number one. We still don't know who the second one will be. Could it be the league of assassins? That's who I think so and it's why I think we will see Bruce Wayne and maybe batman(it's a very long hope.) Do I think the lances will find out about Sara? Yes but not soon. But I could be wrong. . This episode set up for a lot.
    I thought the two villains are Isabel Rochev and Sebastian Blood?

Comment

On laurel I get a tony stark feel about the booze and pills.

all I know is this
      WOW!! What a show

beats hell out of reality tv
      Last edited by mocomic; 10-31-2013, 12:28 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

This season is going from strength to strength. This episode was the best so far. A great revelation at the start and another great one in the end. My only concern, and I said it last week, is that they are haggling with so many issues at the same time. Hopefully they have a plan about where they want to take every storyline. Observations:

- I am a fan of the flashback storyline so it was great to see more ties between that and the present arcs. Obviously there's a lot Oliver hasn't touched upon about those 5 years.

- It probably wasn't part of their original plan, but I liked seeing Sara reappear. Not sure why they felt like they had to change actresses, but her addition brings a new dimension to the present and past arcs. Don't know if the show has done a retcon to any degree, but it will be interesting to find out what exactly happened to Sara and why the Lances will never speak to Oliver again if they find out. Also, I thought Amell's acting was fantastic when he explained what happened to Diggle and Felicity.

- Sara asking about Slade makes me believe that we haven't seen the last of Slade in the flashbacks. She didn't know him before the pirates took Ollie captive and he suffered burns to his face, so I can only assume she met him on the ship?. It does make you wonder though. If Oliver and Sara lost track of him, then the Deathstroke mask with the arrow through the eyelid probably isn't his.

- Speaking of the island, I hope they haven't forgotten about the woman who employed Fyers..

- Might be early days, but I am not yet sold on the Isabel character. On the other hand, they really took Blood's character to a new level. I don't know the character in the comics, so that revelation in the end threw me off. I was expecting to see Cillian Murphy pop out.

- So Laurel is now becoming an alcoholic. It means she'll do more dumb stuff and give us more reasons to hate her. I do like how they did an 180 in the dynamic between her and her dad. Quentin so far has been one of my favorite characters of the season.

- I kind of ship Diggle with Lyla (Digglyla? ). We need more of Felicity though.

So much stuff going on. It's like watching a 2 hour movie. 8 out of 10 this week.
        Last edited by costas22; 10-31-2013, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Whoa! Another amazing episode. This season just continues to impress and improve. These 4 episodes have been better than some shows whole seasons! Can't wait for next week.

Comment

Decided to Give Arrow another try and so far I have been pretty happy with the episodes and loved the introduction of Sara. The scene at the end with Ollie and Sarah in the hospital where he tells her she can come home was just really beautiful.

I would like a little more time with Thea, Roy, Felicity, Diggle, Slade and Shado (I know she isn't a regular) in coming episodes. I feel like they get pushed (not all at once) into the background for the crisis or new character of the week and there is massive room for all of those characters to get some depth as Oliver evolves.

Still not a fan of Laurel's story, and i've tried to be open minded about where she might fit into the story overall and endgame, but nope not working for me at all. And so far Isabel has been very meh. But there is plenty at this time to keep me watching every week and I am excited for next weeks episode.

Comment

Another great episode. Oliver looked so unnerved when he met Sarah I wonder if he was thinking if other people he thought dead had survived. Really liking Sarah but can't say the same about Laurel. The Mayor was cool as well.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the show is really trying to shove down our throats how Oliver doesn't kill any more. It's quite irritating.
              Last edited by Quark; 10-31-2013, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Why are people bagging on Katie Cassidy? She can and will be Black Canary.

Good EP. I am giving it a 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Caught_In_The_Sun
                  Why are people bagging on Katie Cassidy? She can and will be Black Canary.

Good EP. I am giving it a 10.
                  Katie will rock the suit. That much is certain.

Comment

I've just watched this episode once, and maybe I need to rewatch it, but as for now I get this sinking feeling that "Arrow" is on the verge of "jumping the shark"-at least for this viewer! So, you better prepare yourself for a bit of a rant!

One problem with this episode (and presumably with the whole season) is IMHO the retcon of the whole "Sara is dead storyline", which was such an important story strand in season one. The revelation that Oliver knows that Sara is alive (or at least that she didn't die when the Gambit went down) made me remember all those scenes where Oliver talked to Laurel and Quentin about Sara's death ("Damaged", scene with Laurel outside Verdant etc.). In that context these new revelations seem so odd...I mean, when I watched these scenes I didn't get any vibes at all that Oliver was NOT telling the truth-in fact, I got the impression that if he himself was convinced that Sara died when the Queen's Gambit went down. In this episode we learn that Oliver has been lying through his teeth all this time-or at least hiding the truth. That casts a somewhat dark shadow on him IMHO, in the sense that we have no idea if he's being completely truthful about ANYTHING that happened to him while he was away. Those are my feelings at least...

I can understand that he lied about Sara because he wanted to spare the Lances, but I have to admit that Oliver's revelations in his scenes with Diggle/Felicity and in his scenes with Sara come off more as a poorly executed retcon on the writers' part than something that would be "in character" with regards to the Oliver we saw all through season. It just didn't feel like organic storytelling to me and I'm kind of worried how the writers are going to get themselves out of this whole convoluted "Sara returns as some kind of proto-BC" mess. Apart from that I liked Caity Lotz and I think she has a good rapport with Stephen...so good that I imagine that some folks are already shipping "Sarliver" hard! I usually try to avoid making comments about actors, but I have to say that I noticed that Caity sometimes does something with her mouth that seems a bit odd to me...

The Laurel storyline...all I can say is that the writers are certainly working hard at making her life as miserable as they possibly can in season two! First she goes on a misguided manhunt for the Hood (which curiously seems to have been totally abandoned in this ep!), which results in a major breakdown when she realizes that it's her own sense of guilt that has been driving her. Then she hits the bottle and refuses to admit that she has a problem... and what more, she pushes away her own father and Oliver when they try to help her. This whole storyline also feels like contrived, melodramatic storytelling to me. I mean, it takes more than five months (if we presume that Laurel started drinking after the Glades disaster) to turn a composed, level-headed professional woman into a wine-gulping, pill-popping, DUI-driving (near) alcoholic! Most of the time I'm OK with the "Arrow" writers' brand of superhero melodrama, but with this storyline they ventured too much into soap opera territory for my comfort. I know that Laurel has been through some very hard times and I understand that the writers wanted to how show Tommy's death has made Laurel descend into her own private hell, but I think they could have done this in different manner, even though her turn to the bottle could be explained as a family trait. I also understand that Laurel, just like Oliver, has to go through some kind of crucible before she can become her Black Canary alter ego. I'm just having this feeling that when she finally reaches that stage, there might not be that many viewers/fans left to root for her! I'm the kind of viewer who tries to follow the story and the relationships as they are presented in the actual show, rather than creating my own scenarios....so if Laurel is destined to be the future B.C. and if Oliver and Laurel are supposed to be the show's destined couple, I'll go with that. I also think that this is merely a stage that Laurel is going through and that we will see a very different Laurel by the end of the season...someone who maybe even smiles and laughs a bit, like she did with Tommy or before the Queen's Gambit disaster. However, I still think the writers have to sit down and have a serious discussion concerning Laurel's character portrayal, rather than relying on clichés of the kind we saw in this episode...you know "troubled woman with a (former) alcoholic father starts drinking too much while doing what every alcoholic does, namely denying her problems.."

More ranting...Isabel Rochev is not a very exciting Big Bad IMHO and I get no sense of imminent danger or threat from her presence in Oliver's life. In fact, I find myself longing for Malcolm Merlyn/the Dark Archer...now that was a villain worthy of his name! I guess I should wait and see what happens in the upcoming episodes, but right now Isabel appears more as an Ice Queen who turns up and delivers a few vaguely threatening lines than as a sinister force who will wreak havoc with Queen Consolidated and Oliver's life!

I'm sure you folks are wondering if I didn't find anything positive about this episode, and in fact I did. I thought Stephen's acting was great, especially in the emotionally charged encounters with Sara and when he made his confession to Diggle and Felicity. The flashback scenes were pretty intense as well. I was also happy to see hints that Diggle might get some love action in season two, with his lady colleague (Lyla?). IMHO she would be a great love interest-she and Diggle have a similar background and they seem to have a similar way of approaching things, so I'm hoping we'll see more of her in upcoming episodes.

There many other things to say about his episode, but I think I'll have to stop here.
                    Last edited by evaba; 10-31-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anno_Domini
                      Fantastic episode. Really set the stage for even more storylines, and I feel like Moira would even know a thing or two about the League of Assassins, as she did mention to her lawyer that some things may never be said again. Sara asking where Slade is was definitely interesting to hear and Sebastian "Brother" Blood using that green stuff. What was that? Vertigo? Some other kind of drug to create an army(maybe an early form of the Venom drug)?

HATED that they actually re-cast Sara and used Caity in those flashback scenes in the Gambit, but I guess Sara Lance is now our Rachel Dawes, lol.

I thought the two villains are Isabel Rochev and Sebastian Blood?
                      If she is, she is quite boring, but I really think it will be a curve. A corporate villain is so boring. I would really hate to see Ollie broke and out of money.

Comment

I'm wondering who it is that keeps giving every season two episode very low ratings? It sure isn't me, although I ranted about "Crucible"! It seems a bit odd that someone would watch a show if he/she dislikes it that much...

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Isabel turns out to be the woman who hired Fryers and has a much darker background than people realize. Right now it seems that the writers are trying to push Sebastian Blood as the first main villain by giving him more screen time and revealing who he really is. I think Isabel's true self will be a slower work in progress and will be shown towards the second half of the season.

Comment

Brother Blood's speech during the last scene leads me to believe he is the precursor to Ra's al Ghul/ League of Assassins arc. That sort of speech he gave is something along the lines of what Ra's would have given and what he preaches.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                              Brother Blood's speech during the last scene leads me to believe he is the precursor to Ra's al Ghul/ League of Assassins arc. That sort of speech he gave is something along the lines of what Ra's would have given and what he preaches.
                              We can only hope

Comment

Is it bad that I like what they've done with this version of Black Canary so much, that I almost hope they kill off Laurel and have Sarah continue on? The moment they alluded that she had some kind of training under Ra's Al Ghul, I've been attached to her. No to mention her fighting scenes are high octane and fun to watch. Just have her change her middle name to Dinah after Laurel dies..or something lol

The Brother Blood reference was the ultimate cherry on top in this episode. I don't know how anyone could honestly think that Agents of SHIELD is worthy superhero-based TV when Arrow is delivering to this extent! Even just the realistic possibility of a GA feud with Deathstroke, is enough reason to put this show ahead! I also like that Roy is showing a genuine likability in his character.

I feel that the way they're handling this show is the way Smallville should have been handled. And that's mainly why I continue to be impressed and very satisfied with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎