Black Canary

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Canary

How awesome was Black Canary tonight?

I loved the "scream," and I love the look of her... if she wasn't, you know, a killer I'd totally be down with her in her own show. Who says the producers need to sleep.

What does everyone else think?

Any Birds of Prey or Black Canary fan would love this ep. -- it's full of cool references to Canary's world, with the sonic effect, the Sin character, etc. Even her retreat is a clocktower!

'This' Canary kills, so it's one wedge between her and the recently non-lethal Arrow. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm really torn honestly. Black Canary is my all-time favorite comics character and I suppose it depends which era you're reading, but the Gail Simone version (which is the ultimate version for me) was very much about hope and not wanting to kill at all. And yes, I realize that this is the proto-Black Canary but I'm just disappointed that they're bringing in a Black Canary who killed two people in her first episode. Oliver killing is one thing but this goes against everything that the Black Canary I know and love IS.

I do dig the costume though and the Clocktower hideout was awesome and I so called the fact that they would use the sonic scream bombs that Dinah used back when she lost her scream in the comics. I'm pleased with that.

I also really hated them using a character who is not Sin from the comics one bit and yet calling her Sin. I don't mind them taking artistic license but naming a character after a character in the comics when that character is nothing like their namesake seems ridiculous to me. For those who don't know, in the comics Sin is an adorable little girl who was being trained by the people who trained Shiva. Dinah got her out of there and was considering adopting her and there was a lot of great storytelling involving Dinah figuring out how to parent a child that was trained to be a killer but had a sweet nature. Not to mention that Sin was Asian, not white. And certainly not a teenager.

Though it seems like I'll be in the minority with my feelings on the Black Canary's introduction. Oh well. There's always back issues to read and re-read.

Comment

I was shocked when she killed in this episode, too. My automatic reaction was: "What the --?!" Hope she's not painted as just another out-of-control vigilante like S1 Ollie was. (And the Huntress too! At least with Helena, the crossing-the-line issue is part of her character.) We'll see how this angle plays out on the show.

I am glad that she's a non-super-powered hero, a nice nod to the comics Canary when she lost her sonic cry.

I'd agree that Simone's Black Canary is the definitive one in the modern comics era, I actually need to catch up with the rest of her run on BOP. She is leagues above Chuck Dixon's version of BC, though he did write Barbara Gordon well enough during his run.

Comment

/* Possible Spoiler */

Now I've never read any comic books so this may sound dumb. But at the end I heard reference towards Ra's al Ghul. Isn't that the guy from Batman, Batman's enemy? I didn't know he had reference to the black canary. That being said, do you think there will be any tie in to batman?

If the black canary trained with Ra's al Ghul then she has to have some serious fight skills and has possibly fought for the wrong side before and is now switching to good, possibly because the crazy loon doll guy killed one of her friends?

Or could the Canary be Laurel's (prusumed dead) sister that survived the boat sinking and perhaps she was picked up by Ra's al Ghul and trained and came back with the same idea Oliver had when he came back?

That was a good episode and now I have all kinds of thoughts rolling through my head

Comment

Ra's al Ghul is a Batman villain but Arrow has used other Batman villains already.

Firefly (Garfield Lynns), Deadshot (Floyd Lawton), Dollmaker (Barton Mathis)

Comment

Originally posted by thatoneguy
              /* Possible Spoiler */

Now I've never read any comic books so this may sound dumb. But at the end I heard reference towards Ra's al Ghul. Isn't that the guy from Batman, Batman's enemy? I didn't know he had reference to the black canary. That being said, do you think there will be any tie in to batman?

If the black canary trained with Ra's al Ghul then she has to have some serious fight skills and has possibly fought for the wrong side before and is now switching to good, possibly because the crazy loon doll guy killed one of her friends?

Or could the Canary be Laurel's (prusumed dead) sister that survived the boat sinking and perhaps she was picked up by Ra's al Ghul and trained and came back with the same idea Oliver had when he came back?

That was a good episode and now I have all kinds of thoughts rolling through my head

there's all sorts of tie-ins. as Halberdier17 has pointed out, Arrow is making use of Batman's rogue gallery (don't forget Bronze Tiger too!)

and btw, Canary IS Laurel's sister Sara Lance.....CW president Mark Pedowitz spoiled that detail a few months back

EDIT: didn't want to double post, but has anyone else noticed that whenever the Canary exits a scene, you hear a canary tweet?

Comment

Again, this is just some thoughts. I don't mean to sound I think that this Canary should be THE Canary. But bear with me. The show producers have said something along the lines of how they introduce characters first who we think we know, but they end up not being so. A lot of people, myself included, thought that the Dark Archer was Yao Fei and that the producers were just screwing with the canon of the character by not using the 'Merlyn' name (since generally the Dark Archer has been Green Arrow's mentor). But as it was put another way: "The first Green Arrow we saw wasn't Oliver, it was Yao Fei. The First Deathstroke wasn't Slade Wilson, it was Bill Wintergreen."

Everyone is assuming that Sara is the 'Proto-Canary' since the Black Canary character is Dinah Lance and Laurel's real first name is Dinah (revealed in the pilot episode). However, there were numerous teases about Laurel being the Canary in Season 1: Her fighting skills that her cop dad made sure she had; the comment about the fishnets; and the talk about the black canary her father bought her sister. All of this would suggest that she will become the Canary, but what if Laurel was the Proto-Canary all along? Sorry, but if it comes down to it, Sara's got better fighting skills than Laurel does. It took both Oliver and Sara five (or six) years to become who they are now. The writers cannot realistically work it out so she can train that quick and become as agile and fast as her sister and ex-boyfriend.

Again, I don't want to come across as saying I hope it isn't, but the facts just don't support Laurel being the actual Canary in my opinion. But hey, I could be wrong and the idea that Sara is the Proto-Canary could be the right one. I honestly would rather they twist canon a little and have Sara be the Canary than them trying to shoehorn Laurel into the position.

Comment

Originally posted by JDBentz
                  Again, this is just some thoughts. I don't mean to sound I think that this Canary should be THE Canary. But bear with me. The show producers have said something along the lines of how they introduce characters first who we think we know, but they end up not being so. A lot of people, myself included, thought that the Dark Archer was Yao Fei and that the producers were just screwing with the canon of the character by not using the 'Merlyn' name (since generally the Dark Archer has been Green Arrow's mentor). But as it was put another way: "The first Green Arrow we saw wasn't Oliver, it was Yao Fei. The First Deathstroke wasn't Slade Wilson, it was Bill Wintergreen."

Everyone is assuming that Sara is the 'Proto-Canary' since the Black Canary character is Dinah Lance and Laurel's real first name is Dinah (revealed in the pilot episode). However, there were numerous teases about Laurel being the Canary in Season 1: Her fighting skills that her cop dad made sure she had; the comment about the fishnets; and the talk about the black canary her father bought her sister. All of this would suggest that she will become the Canary, but what if Laurel was the Proto-Canary all along? Sorry, but if it comes down to it, Sara's got better fighting skills than Laurel does. It took both Oliver and Sara five (or six) years to become who they are now. The writers cannot realistically work it out so she can train that quick and become as agile and fast as her sister and ex-boyfriend.

Again, I don't want to come across as saying I hope it isn't, but the facts just don't support Laurel being the actual Canary in my opinion. But hey, I could be wrong and the idea that Sara is the Proto-Canary could be the right one. I honestly would rather they twist canon a little and have Sara be the Canary than them trying to shoehorn Laurel into the position.
                  if i could +1 or rep your post, i would! i would actually go along with your theory than the mainstream theory that Laurel will become the Black Canary....but hey, whatever this show decides to use, i'll just be happy with how they will present it the way that they present other things! (pretty sure i just violated a grammar rule or two with that sentence)

Comment

Let me say to all, in whatever version of Black Canary you read, my old school father will say it was Dinah Lance. AKA Laurel's mom. And according to my dad, back then she was from an alternate universe. And with many references in season one to the Lance's as being Black Canary, this doesn't seem so in S2. My second guess was maybe Summer Glau, but I don't see a dimple chin in most of her picks. (First guess Felicity, but proven wrong early on in episode). I'll leave you with Trust the Arrow and Stephen Amell. Only good things to come.

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
                      How awesome was Black Canary tonight?

I loved the "scream," and I love the look of her... if she wasn't, you know, a killer I'd totally be down with her in her own show. Who says the producers need to sleep.

What does everyone else think?
                      I'd be fine if she did kill on her own show, lol. Especially the kind of people she is killing.

And I really enjoyed the idea of how the Canary Cry is used. Smart to use a device and not give her powers like that as it would be difficult to even explain how powers like that were developed.

Comment

MOD EDIT I'm not saying Laurel will become Black Canary in this series. But if she were to somehow be trained by this Black Canary, show it in one ep and then 8 episodes later she is that good? She already had training. And every episode is sometimes a day or two or weeks. And lets face it, it does not take weeks of training to use a sonic device .
                        Last edited by Vergon6; 11-03-2013, 09:38 PM. Reason: Rule #10-fan on fan talk

Comment

It would have been cool/er if she had the device by her mouth but I wont be picky.

Comment

yeah i exactly agree with you!

Comment

Here's a question, kind of speculation too but I'm spoiler-tagging it just because some people might not want to know who the Canary actually is.

[SPOILER]This is verging on "Chlois theory" territory, I know, but Sara Lance is dead, right? Is it possible that this revived Black Canary is using an alias... perhaps her mother's maiden name of Dinah Drake? "Dinah Drake" IS the Black Canary of the comics these days, I think. It'd be weird since Laurel is a Dinah too, but still...

I like Katie Cassidy but I cannot see her in that costume doing those moves. Black Canary, even killing, is already 500x cooler.
                              [/SPOILER]

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎