Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Broken Dolls?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome episode with the full introduction of Black Canary and her sonic cry device is realistic. I didn't care if she kills as long as she teams up with Oliver more. Nice of them to mention the League of Assassins and Ra's Al Ghul.

The writers are trying to redeem Dinah Laurel Lance where in the beginning she was dead set on taking down Green Arrow and after being rescued by him later on, she's having second thoughts as she blames herself for Tommy's death. I think this is the beginning of her possible downward spiral.

Looks like the flashbacks have moved forward in beginning of the end between Oliver and Slade.

We're introduced to the character of Sin, Black Canary's friend. It's a nod to the comics.

I think this episode belongs to Quentin Lance than anyone else as we see he and Green Arrow teaming up as it's a nod to Batman and Commissioner Gordon.

I like the easter eggs of Metamorpho and Amazo. Much better episode than last week's.

Comment

Originally posted by kdude22
      that was crazy!!

First, i'd like to say that this show needs more black canary. Can we make that happen?? Somebody get on that please.

Second, i like that officer lance is on "the arrow"'s side; doesn't even mind that he shots ppl in the neck with darts or through the shoulders. That being said, his "i'm still a cop" line didn't seem needed if he isn't gonna do cop things around him. Another thing about quintin, i like the convo he had with laurel at the office.

Speaking of laurel, third: I like how she came to the conclusion that tommy's death was her fault. Now it was nobody's fault of course, she couldn't have known what was gonna happen by doing what anybody else in her position would have done. But now, maybe she'll lay off the arrow a bit. I liked that "i'm not the only one to do a 180" line. Way to throw that out in the open writing team! Lol me likey.

Fourth, i understand the secret identity thing, but i feel like they should pull a man of steel soon and have laurel (or maybe her dad) find out ollie's secret. Can't hide it for forever from the ppl he's closest to without wearing a domino mask like bc, the face paint is kinda losing me.

And lastly, was sarah (pretty obvious now that we've seen her go after laurel without hesitation like she knew her) trained by the league of assassin's?! That explains so much and so very little at the same time. Lol that call out at the end though. That was more of a surprise than i was expecting. I'm assuming asian dude was an assassin too... Pretty sucky assassin.

10/10 from me. Ready for next week!!

dude i feel exactly what you said and you couldn't of said it any better!!!! I 100% wholeheartedly agree with you on this!!!!!

Comment

yeah I think they will keep mentioning Ra's Al Ghul's name throughout the series but I think we will never see him in a scene...

Comment

Even though at times I felt this episode was jaggling with one too many topics, I definitely enoyed it more than last week's. The last 5 minutes were just crazy! Ra's Al Ghul ()? Moira has more secrets? Where is Island Oliver being taken to? What's the fate of Shado and Slade?

Among the things I liked were the additional screentime for Quentin, his partnership with team Arrow, Laurel finally admitting her guilt and Black Canary. Of course the island storyline has a new intrigue now. I was kind of shocked at what happened to Slade. Not that I didn't expect things to go bad for him eventually, but I didn't think it would be so soon. Got to wonder when we'll see him again and in what shape. At least they aren't headed towards a Slade/Shado/Oliver triangle like I was afraid.

And for those keeping track of the Arrow/Smallville connections, Mathis was played by Michael Eklund. The actor that played the cage fighting promoter in Combat. Always up for creepy roles.

8 out of 10

Originally posted by Anno_Domini

I knew Black Canary would rescue him, and I was hoping...just hoping...Black Canary had dealings with the League of Assassins. What would be even more amazing is if she was revived from the Lazarus Pit.
          I remember you speculating about this recently. It definitely looks like they're headed there. Not sure about the Pit itself, with Arrow trying to be realistic and everything, but it looks like Ra's Al Ghul saved Canary. [SPOILER]Or to be more specific, saved Sara after the Queen's Gambit sunk. [/SPOILER]
          Last edited by costas22; 10-24-2013, 02:13 AM.

Comment

The only reference that I didn't like is enough already with the "52" references. I counted at least three, and that was about two too many last night.

Comment

Woah! That was probably the best episode of Arrow to date. Black Canary is beyond awesome already. Also that bad guy was really creepy. The only thing I didn't like is the fact that Officer Lance spent so much time with The Hood, it's a miracle he didn't recognise him. Also I think alarm bells should be ringing as it seems like Lance knows Diggle works for The Hood as well.

Comment

I'm absolutely thrilled with the episode. I am a huge Black Canary fan (second favorite superhero) and seeing her kicking major butt on the small screen like this gives me chills. I am pretty sure I know who she is (as most of us probably have an idea by now) but it will be interesting to see what happens in episode 4 when Oliver finds out who she is. Like everyone said, the nod to Ra's Al Ghul was more than I could have hoped for. You can basically gather from that short scene that BC probably spent a significant amount of time training with the League of Assassins. So far they are handling the character very well in my opinion.

Yes I get the whole 'killing' thing is an issue because it's not how most people know her, but I can see the character development going a number of ways and I really hope that Arrow and BC end up fighting on the same side before the end of the season. Just as Digs and Felicity have been amazing influences on Ollie, I want him to be a good influence on BC and show her that killing isn't necessary to fight injustice and clean up the city.

Also just a quick mention that I loved the device she used to help Ollie escape, as it was mentioned several times before, we won't see any 'super-powered hero' types until the Flash makes his appearance (which I am also geeking out over.)

So far, this season is blowing me away. Arrow is easily one of the best shows on television right now. I hope the writers/directors can keep up this amazing run, if they do I can see the show going on for several more seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by vantheman77
                  Awesome episode with the full introduction of Black Canary and her sonic cry device is realistic. I didn't care if she kills as long as she teams up with Oliver more. Nice of them to mention the League of Assassins and Ra's Al Ghul.

The writers are trying to redeem Dinah Laurel Lance where in the beginning she was dead set on taking down Green Arrow and after being rescued by him later on, she's having second thoughts as she blames herself for Tommy's death. I think this is the beginning of her possible downward spiral.

Looks like the flashbacks have moved forward in beginning of the end between Oliver and Slade.

We're introduced to the character of Sin, Black Canary's friend. It's a nod to the comics.

I think this episode belongs to Quentin Lance than anyone else as we see he and Green Arrow teaming up as it's a nod to Batman and Commissioner Gordon.

I like the easter eggs of Metamorpho and Amazo. Much better episode than last week's.
                  Yay, I was hoping someone would see the Amazon Easter egg as well, but I didn't see the Metamorpho reference?

Comment

Got to agree, 'Arrow' is 3 for 3. Just an amazing episode! So many things going on in this episode it would have been easy for one of the many plot threads to seem short changed, but it was nearly perfect. Can't wait for next week.

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
                      Apparently the Dollmaker's lawyer is "Tony Daniel," named after the creator of the current version of the character in the comics.

As for the episode itself... WOW. Arrow is 3 for 3 this season.
                      I noticed that too. I have some Batman books with his art.

Comment

I wonder how they will do the Lazarus pit since the show is based in realism. With Canary having a sonic device, I don't think they are going to be fantastical/comical with the Lazarus pit. It'll probably be something technologically advanced - Star Treky/Futuristic/James Bond kind of stuff.

Comment

I thought the EP was great. I loved the line from Felicity about wanting to be reimbursed for buying the skin creams. She kills me.

Comment

Arrow Season 2: Broken Dolls Review
                            This episode was excellent we got more of the Canary story and Laurel finally broke down facing what she been denying when Tommy died. This was more of a Lance family centered episode than a Queen centered family episode.
                            *Laurel dealt with a lot in this episode her trap for (The Hood) as she is calling him now did not pan out like she would have wanted it to. The new player Canary came in to save Arrow and that just showed that Canary is looking out for her family which we will find out in the future as Canary story comes more into play. Laurel did not see who rescued him so she was still in pursuit as he escaped and is safe so she continues her vendetta. The way she acted in the beginning was how her father acted in season one toward the vigilante. Since the villain is Barton Mathis from an old case of her father’s in the past it took her to break and face what she has been denying since the beginning her guilt toward Tommy’s death. So now she blame herself because Tommy came to save her as CNRI building collapsed so we will see how this affects her attitude as things continue. This helped her face that The Arrow was not the enemy but someone to help seeing that her dad was right with what he said to her facing the truth.
                            *Officer Lance an old case comes back to haunt him and makes him see that he has to go outside the law to take the serial killer down. He kept the file on Barton Mathis the Doll-Maker which he was called. So he enlist the help of (The Arrow) which nice reference to the new name and how he gets that help is through Felicity who he helped defuse the bomb in the end of season 1. He was willing to go through with the plan as Felicity as bait to lure Barton out but when Barton that actually happens it goes awry and so Barton retaliates capturing Laurel then have him watch. Also as it is happening he figures that Arrow lost someone that is why he does what he does so he shares the story of his daughter Sarah not realizing that Arrow blames himself for Sarah. When saved by Arrow he is there to support Laurel’s breakdown to help her.
                            *Canary story is revealed as she is hiding out in the Glades with her friend Sidney who looks out for her. First, we see her save Arrow by finding the right moment to jump in and save him as he puts his weapon down. To help, she uses a sonic device to break windows and distract the others. Second, as Roy finds information we find that she is running from whomever that had her captured so she sends Sidney out to lure Roy to her for interrogation. As she is trying to find out who sent him Roy’s phone goes off message from Thea saying Laurel is kidnapped so she goes off to help save her only confirming there is a connection to the Laurel and Quinten Lance. Once at the destination she help Arrow but Arrow does not kill Mathis but she does saying it won’t happen again him goes to jail. Finally, toward the end we find the first reference of Ra’s A’Ghul the villain has order her back by sending a messenger but Canary ends up killing the messenger when she refuses to go back to the League of Assassins.
                            *Flashbacks to the island just expand on last week with new people on the island searching for something. Team Hood (Oliver/Shado/Slade) find what they were looking for first. Oliver/Slade split with Shado to find what is going on. Shado tends to finding out about the skeleton they found while Oliver/Slade are attacked by the people attacking the island leaving Oliver to believe that Shado and Slade are dead he is captured by whoever attacks the island. This is the set-up for the episode featuring League of Assassins.
                            *Also sets-up for the episode: State vs. Queen featuring Moira’s trail. It is pre-court scene for ADA Adam Donner mentions they are seeking death penalty for the Glades incident. Good balance
                            I give this episode a 10 it was more a character driven episode but it was needed to further the storyline of the season.

Comment

Wow. What an amazing episode. Loved all the interaction between Arrow and Quentin. Great to see Laurel start to deal with her own feelings of guilt about Tommy. Black Canary is fantastic and I think I can guess how she is going to inspire Laurel to become the Canary in later seasons.
                              Great job by the writers and all the fantastic cast in moving the story forward and adding lots of DC easter eggs. Ra's Al Ghul being mentioned at the end is brilliant and I can't wait to see how the show handles the League of Assassins (not Shadows as in TDK trilogy).
                              I suspect we won't see Ra's this season but then if we do it will be amazing. Can't wait to see what they come up with for the rest of the season and can't wait for the Flash.

Comment

Loved it. This episode was like an exciting roller coaster. I'm a big fan of the action sequences. This one had me hooting and hollering at the tv.

Here are some other quick thoughts.

Roy - I was actually yelling at the tv when he was chasing the black canarys friend through the city. He is becoming a favorite, and that is something since last season i didn't have a good or bad opinion of him.

Laurel - Thank God they got her moving off of her anti-Arrow attitude. I don't like to see her suffering, but I really don't like these shows where most of the main cast characters can't stand each other. Even if she doesn't trust him, he can't be accountable for the Glades. He tried for an entire season to stop that from happening. I always like these scenes where Laurel and Quentin are together.

Quentin - I really like this guy. He's trying to find a way to do the right thing. He is played with a lot of heart. This whole situation where the freak kidnaps him and Laurel had me on the edge of my seat. I never know these days if a show is going to be the kind that actually kills off main characters, so wasn't sure what was going to happen there.

Arrow - it was really bugging me, this new "no kill" Arrow business. It still does to some extent, but I am greatly appeased after this episode. It's nice to see that "no kill" doesn't mean Arrow still can't inflict maximum pain and agony on these low lifes. It's also nice to see Arrow branching out a little, and trusting outsiders, such as Roy.

City Oliver - Seeing Oliver set aside Arrow issues to be there for his mom at court was nice. He bailed on his own charity gathering the last episode, but seeing him show up here was great. His talk with Thea, everything was nice. He is going to try and be a glue to bring back his family from scattering to the winds. I also felt that him going and getting Walter in that earlier episode was a part of this. Yeah, it had a tie in to the hostile take over, but the Queen Corporation has been a family affair. I think Oliver came to find Walter a part of his family after a time in the first season.

Island Oliver - These interactions with Slade and Shado are interesting. I think they are trying to show that Oliver is going to care about people, even if it puts him in more danger. This ties to the modern Arrow in him being able to bring in Diggle, Felicity, and Roy. This Oliver is becoming somewhat more capable, but he is still one mistake away from being killed.

Slade - This guy is trying to help Oliver survive. I don't think he would be offering all of this advice if he didn't want Oliver to survive. When he set off chasing Oliver into the disaster, I was thinking, he doesn't have to do this. He should let the guy run to his doom, not follow him into it. So I think Slade has taken quite a liking to Oliver, but it cost him dearly in this episode. I don't even know if he is going to survive. It seemed to me his hands were on fire, so if he does survive, he will be injured from that for some time.

Shado - I like Shado, but this season she seems more of a back drop for a conflict between Oliver and Slade.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎