Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Life Through Your Eyes (Jor-El/Lara, CLois) - PG13

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so glad you have updated this story...loving where it is going!

Comment

Originally posted by moviefan2k4
      You seem to be combining elements of "Smallville" and "Man of Steel". Its an odd approach, but I'm still interested.
      Yup! That's what I put in the summary. I'm only taking elements from "Man of Steel". For the most part, this fic will be Smallville based. Lara, for example, will have dark hair and blue eyes because I liked the way the actress on "Man of Steel" looked better for this and I thought she was a better actress. No offense or disrespect to Helen Slater. I hope you will continue to let me know how you enjoy my story!

Originally posted by kendrak
      I'm so glad you have updated this story...loving where it is going!
      Ooh! I'm so glad! I've been really excited to write this fic. It's been calling to me to write it for a while now.

I'm currently working on the new chapter but I will be updating my other fic first. As I currently work 2 jobs and have to shuttle my grandparents around on my off days since they don't drive, I don't have a set schedule. However, I am anxious to keep this going. I have a week off for Thanksgiving from one job and I'll be off from that same job (I teach at a Technical College) after Dec. 13th for about 3 weeks or so. So I hope to really be able to get some writing done.

Keep the comments/feedback/reviews coming and I'll work all the harder to get the updates coming regularly.

Beth aka SmallRozfan

Comment

I'm sorry, guys, but it looks like it will be a little bit before I can get the next update out to you. I haven't gotten it written yet and my family has needed more of my time due to health issues. It's the end of the semester at work for me and that means a crazy pace but after next week, I'm off from one of my jobs for about 3 weeks so I hope to really get cracking on writing. I'll keep you guys in the loop!

Hope all is well with you and yours!

Beth aka SmallRozfan

Comment

Beth, earlier this month i read chapter 2 and gotta tell you, i'm loving what you're doing here. can't wait to see Lara's birthday party where, i guess, she'll me Jor-El.
          i totally understand a demanding life LOL belive me!!
          I may not be around as much as i wanted but i'm aware of the updates and read the chapter every chance i have

Comment

Isn't it time for an update? really missing this story!!

Comment

Originally posted by cathy14
              Beth, earlier this month i read chapter 2 and gotta tell you, i'm loving what you're doing here. can't wait to see Lara's birthday party where, i guess, she'll me Jor-El.
              i totally understand a demanding life LOL belive me!!
              I may not be around as much as i wanted but i'm aware of the updates and read the chapter every chance i have
              You have always been a great...um, feedbacker? Feedback giver? Not sure how to word that correctly. (I'm not a morning person by any means and it's just after 8 am lol) Thank you for letting me know you are around and that you are enjoying this, Cathy!

Originally posted by kendrak
              Isn't it time for an update? really missing this story!!
              Um, yeah, I know that it is past time for me to get an update out on this story and I'm so, so sorry that it hasn't happened but it seems that one thing after another has prevented me from really being able to write. I AM working on it, however, and now that I have the beginning of the new part started and know where I want it to go, I'm hoping to get it out within the week. My work schedule looks a little lighter this semester than last so maybe I'll have more time to write like I want. (I work for a technical college.) I'm trying to schedule regular times for things like rest and relaxation (including writing) so that I am able to handle the stress that is my life better.

All that rambling aside, I'm sorry to have left you hanging for so long but I have not abandoned this! Don't give up on me!

Thanks,

Beth aka SmallRozfan

Comment

Hey, guys! Just an update...I got stuck on the update for this story so I skipped over to my other fic The 7 Year Hitch and will be finishing that update and posting the new part tonight or tomorrow. I did start the update for this one and now that I've got the creative juices going again, hopefully it won't be long before I get the new part out for this story. Thanks so much for your patience!

Beth

Comment

Good news! Due to wacky weather conditions I have been home all day today & will be for the next 2 days. I have finished the update for this. I'm still editing but unless the power or internet goes out, which is a real possibility, I will post it tomorrow evening.

Comment

Update! Update!

Hey, everyone! I'm back with the new part! It isn't the party like many of you were hoping for but I felt it important to show things from both POV's, Jor-El's and Lara's. I hope you like it and I'm already writing the next part, which will have the party and they meet. Let me know what you think of this part. Thanks in advance for reading and reviewing.

Beth

My Life Through Your Eyes
                    Chapter 2

Clark had been disconcerted at first by the method that his “parents” had chosen to show him their past. The story had started from his mother’s point of view, and he thought at the beginning he had somehow been sent back in time to Krypton and was trapped inside her body. He seemed to be watching everything through her eyes and had no control over anything said or done. Before he could reach the point of being totally freaked out by this, he realized that watching through her eyes was exactly what was happening. It was an illusion, albeit a very elaborate and realistic one, done by technology that had been lost when his home planet was destroyed.

Once Lara had somehow subconsciously reassured Clark that Lois was fine and experiencing what he was, he began to relax and even enjoy learning about his mother. Getting to see his grandparents was more than he had thought possible, even though he really hadn’t had any idea what to expect. But Lara…betrothed to Zod? Was that what happened? Was that a wedge between his parents or between Zod and his parents? That didn’t seem to fit with what little he knew of his family’s history.

He didn’t get very far in his musings, however, before the AI that represented his mother gently told him to relax and let the story unfold. He felt the urge to smile, but suddenly, there was a strange sensation, and he was transported to a different part of Krypton…

~JE/LLV~

Jor-El swore as the tool in his hand slipped from his grasp and hit him in the head, barely missing his eye. Sliding out from under the large machine in the center of the lab, he glared up at his brother, holding one hand over the place just above his right eye. He sat up and let out a soft growl.

“What is wrong with you, Zor-El, sneaking up on me like that?! I almost lost an eye!”

“Sneaking up…?!” Zor-El echoed incredulously. “I’ve been knocking and calling your name for the past 5 minutes or more. Even when I saw your legs sticking out from this—this--this contraption and called you again and again, you still didn’t acknowledge me. I thought something had happened to you under there! That’s why I knocked on this machine of yours. It’s not my fault that you were so deep in one of your brooding sessions that you weren’t paying attention.”

Straightening up from the sliding board that allowed him to roll under the machine on his back, Jor-El stretched and wondered at the stiffness of his body. How long had he been under there? “I thought I told you that I’d be working and asked to be left alone…” he muttered at his brother with a frown.

“Jor-El, that was hours ago! Even if I didn’t have a real reason for interrupting you, I would have come to make sure you have at least eaten,” Zor-El said, throwing up his hands.

As if on cue, Jor-El’s stomach rumbled, protesting at being neglected. He grunted and avoided meeting his brother’s gaze as Zor-El chuckled. “Just as I thought. That’s why I brought this,” he said, walking back to the door of the lab and bringing back over a small covered cart. He pulled off the cover to reveal a small assortment of foods. “Maybe we can talk while we eat?” he suggested.

Jor-El’s stomach rumbled again and he sighed. “Fine.”

He set his tool aside, grabbed one of the two plates on the cart and began to fill it with whatever struck his fancy. Zor-El filled the second plate, and the two brothers perched themselves on whatever was handy and, without delay, began to devour their food. They ate in companionable silence for several minutes before Jor-El glanced over and contemplated his brother as he chewed. Swallowing, he cleared his throat and prompted, “You did say you had a reason for coming to find me.”

Zor-El swallowed what was in his mouth and nodded. “I have some rather interesting news,” he said. Pausing, he wiped his mouth with a square cloth. His brother raised one eyebrow in his direction, only mildly interested. “Do you remember the other day that we had a visit from Lor-Van?” Jor-El gave a noncommittal wave that Zor-El didn’t bother to try to interpret. “It seems he came to invite our family to a party to celebrate his daughter’s 16th birthday. From what I’ve been able to glean from Father, it is to be a rather large affair, with most if not all of the great Houses and even the lesser noble Houses invited…certainly all those with young people around our age group.”

Jor-El’s eyes narrowed in thought, but after a moment or two, he shrugged. “I do not remember a young woman of the House of Van, but considering we are almost 3 years her senior, that is not surprising. We would not have had any classes together, even before being separated into the various division classes. Quite frankly, I don’t find that all that fascinating. You have always been the more socially inclined twin, so the news seems a bit more along your interests.”

Grunting in mild exasperation, Zor-El shot him a soft glare. “I wasn’t finished. If that was all I had to tell you, I would have waited for you to come out of your Fortress of Solitude in your own time, whenever that would be.”

Jor-El apologized half-heartedly and Zor-El took a couple of bites of food before continuing. “As I was trying to tell you, we have been invited, as have all the other great and lesser noble houses, at least the ones with people within our age-range. Like you, I couldn’t place the young lady in question and asked Father to tell me more of the House of Van to see if I could learn anything that might jog something in my memory of them. It seems that Lor-Van’s wife, Mara, is one of the first people who came down with the mysterious illness no one can seem to solve. I remembered her name mentioned at least once when Father reminded me. Other than that, I could not find any shared history and I believe none of us have ever met Lara Lor-Van.”

Jor-El barely avoided rolling his eyes at his brother. As usual, it seemed that Zor-El was excited about nothing, as far as he could tell. Not wanting to begin an argument and enjoying the good food, however, Jor-El decided to behave more graciously. “That’s the daughter, I assume?”

Zor-El nodded. “Yes, and while I can tell you are just humoring me at the moment because I have fed you, I appreciate your patience and will try to keep the rest of my story short.”

“I would appreciate it, so that I might get back to work.”

Eyeing the machine that his twin was always working on, Zor-El said quietly and matter-of-factly, “You do know you’ll never get this to work, don’t you?”

Seeing Jor-El straighten defensively, he shook his head and gave him a small, sympathetic smile. “I’m not saying that to be contrary, Brother. Even if you figure out how to get it to do what you want, the Approval Committee for the Science Council will never allow you to complete it.”

“You said you were going to finish your story so I could go back to work,” Jor-El reminded him, refusing to address the problems his brother had just given voice to.

Sighing, Zor-El nodded again and picked up his tale. “I went out after talking with Father to pick up some supplies for one of the projects I have going and happened to see Dru-Zod while I was out. I asked if he had been invited to the party for Lara Lor-Van and that’s when he gave a half smile--you know how serious he gets--and said that there were many reasons for the party. That’s when he dropped the biggest news of all.”

Jor-El didn’t say a word for fear of dragging this already lengthy tale out any further. He simply raised his eyebrows when his brother paused dramatically and waited for him to drop the ‘biggest news of all’. Zor-El went through everything that their mutual friend had been able to tell him.

When he finished, Jor-El still said nothing and stared in amazement for several moments before Zor-El finally broke the silence. “Well? Have you nothing to say? You are one of the chosen potential candidates, after all,” he said with a smile.

Jor-El shook his head slightly, a lock of his dark hair curling over his forehead. His lips pursed as he tried to feel anything but the overriding emotion that was dominating at the moment…horrified disbelief. “I’m not really sure what to say,” he said slowly. He couldn’t seem to get his brain to truly comprehend the situation. To stall, he asked, “As one of the other nominees, what do you think of the situation?” He was genuinely interested in what his brother thought.

Zor-El shrugged. “Arranged marriages are a centuries old tradition, especially for political reasons. To be honest, I am surprised they are allowing Lara to make a choice. The match would be advantageous for any one of the three of us…and for her as well. The House of Van has held a vote on the High Council for decades. You and I know that we would not both be allowed to hold the seat of the House of El.

“Dru-Zod also told me that the Marriage and Procreation Council has been meeting with the Resources Council and there are rumors of cut backs on the number of new gens allowed to be birthed each year,” he continued. “There hasn’t been a new birth in the warrior class in four years. It’s been even longer since the birth of one from the ‘explorer’ class, although since several of the old classes are being combined, I guess that’s hard to determine exactly.”

Jor-El couldn’t argue with any of the points his brother brought up, but… “I guess I just never even thought of marrying anyone,” he admitted. “Maybe it’s the ‘defect’ they insist is in us, but the idea of marrying someone that was picked out for me makes me shudder with dread. How could I be sure that we would be compatible? What if we hate each other? Or worse, that we simply live as roommates, merely existing in the same space?” He grimaced as he took a sip of his drink. “I’d as soon stay single.”

“The problem of compatibility is the responsibility of the Marriage Council. As for hating each other, well, the likelihood is that she won’t have enough emotion in her to allow hatred to be an issue,” Zor-El told him. At his brother’s frown, he smiled. “Truth is, Jor-El, you might have no say in the matter. You can’t fight destiny.”

Jor-El growled. That word was the reason he got into trouble so much of the time, with his father and other authority figures. The idea of his whole life being mapped out for him was repugnant to him. His father always argued that fighting it would only ever cause pain, to himself and others. Syg-El’s arguments always included the fact that his sons had been bred for science and look how happy it made them to work in their field.

Zor-El slapped him on the back. “But cheer up! Perhaps she’s actually my destiny, not yours...or Dru-Zod’s. I guess we’ll find out come the party.” When his brother’s eyes narrowed, he added, “Or you could always declare to Lara that you refuse to even be considered as a potential mate at her birthday party.” Jor-El’s eyes lit up and Zor-El rushed to assure his brother that he had been joking.

They finished eating and discussed various projects they had each been working on. Finally, Zor-El left, taking the food remains with him. Jor-El picked up a tool to get back to work, but he sat for a long time just turning the tool over and over in his hands. He didn’t understand why the idea of an arranged match bothered him so, but it did. Maybe it was that feeling of destiny again. How he hated that word!

Slapping his hands on his thighs, Jor-El climbed back under the machine. “If Lara Lor-Van thinks I’m her destiny, she has more thinking to do…and I won’t mind telling her so, birthday party or no,” he muttered.

Comment

great! I love to see a younger Jor El, struggling about destiny, he seems so much like CK

Comment

Originally posted by Eleidich
                        great! I love to see a younger Jor El, struggling about destiny, he seems so much like CK
                        Yeah, I tried to be careful in paralleling Jor-El and Clark. I wanted to make the similarities subtle but noticeable. From the "brooding", to him fiddling with the machine while thinking through his problems, to his hatred of "destiny" and the dark curl over his forehead, I wanted to point out the things that Clark would notice...and give Lois a little ammunition to use in picking on him.

Thanks for your review!

Beth

Comment

Wow! It has been a very long time since I was able to come to this website, let alone do anything with my writing. I know that most people have probably given up on me but the truth is, it's been a really rough few months for me and I just could not get any writing done. My muse, work, family and health issues have kept me from doing anything remotely relaxing for myself. lol That said, I'm currently working on the new part to this and hope I'll have it out soon. I'm having to go back and reread what I've already written and dust off my keyboard and rewatch some episodes to get myself back into the mode. Hopefully, someone will still wish to read this story. I thank anyone who might still be around and looking for updates to this story.

Beth

Comment

My Life Through Your Eyes
                            A/N: I know it has been forever since I was here with an update. Life conspired against me for a while and left me with absolutely no time to do anything at all with writing, fan-fiction or otherwise. I’m hopefully getting back into the swing of things albeit slowly. I hope I’m able to come around more often in the next month or two as I’ll have some real time off from one of my jobs. I hope someone out there is still reading this. Please forgive the long absence. It was unavoidable.

Chapter 3

Lois was amazed. It all felt so, so real! This wasn’t like watching a movie, even a 3D movie, back home. Actually, Lois, technically, I don’t think you ever left “home”, she told herself. It was like she was really there on Krypton, in the room with Lara Lor-Van and Jor-El. She saw what they saw, felt what they felt, even tasted what they tasted! She had been able to taste the food that Jor-El had been eating, which was really bizarre considering that she had nothing to compare some of the flavors to.

When she caught a glimpse of Jor-El’s reflection, Lois had been startled with how much he looked like Clark. At first, she had thought it was her mind planting the image of Clark onto his father, but then she remembered Lara hadn’t looked like anyone she knew, and there was a small nudge to her consciousness telling her that Jor-El had looked that much like Clark…or technically, she guessed, Clark looked that much like Jor-El.

But more than their similarities in appearance, Lois was surprised by how similar they were in their mannerisms. Just the brief glimpse she had already gotten was enough to show her that while Jonathan and Martha Kent had been Clark’s parents for as far back as his memories allowed, genetics had played a strong hand in his personality as well. Now she knew where Clark got his brooding, and the memory of Clark’s expression on Jor-El’s face made her smile.

She couldn’t wait to see what happened when Lara and Jor-El met at this party. Although…they were a little young for really getting serious. Lois frowned as she remembered just who Clark was interested in at 16…and 17…and 18…and pretty much all of his life. Lana Lang. While Lois knew that Clark loved her and she knew that Lana was no threat to their relationship, she couldn’t help a little sigh that it looked like Jor-El and Lara’s relationship was destined from the minute they met. Lois would admit that she had been attracted to Clark right from the start…until he opened his mouth. Sighing again, she contented herself with the knowledge that they finally had it right with each other.

~JE/LLV~

Lara checked her reflection one more time. She could hear people already milling around downstairs. She had never had a party thrown in her honor before and she was a little nervous, especially since the guest list included so many important families and politicians. She sighed. She hoped she didn’t do something to embarrass herself and her parents.

At least her mother was feeling well enough to participate in the festivities. The effect of the party on Mara’s health had been a real concern and two of the five physicians that had been seeing her had advised against the party altogether. But Mara had taken a turn for the better and planning the party and having it to look forward to lifted her spirits like nothing else in quite some time.

There was a brief tap on the doorway to Lara’s room and then her cousin’s head appeared. They were the best of friends, though Vara was about a year younger than Lara. Both were only children and were closer than sisters. They both had dark hair but that was where the similarities stopped. Vara was the daughter of Lara’s uncle, Dur-Van, and an unknown female donor to the procreation pool. Surprisingly, she had been assigned to the Warrior class, one of the last in several years and the first in several generations in the House of Van. Her mother’s family must have been strong fighters, however, because Vara thrived on her training and excelled beyond her age level.

“Lara, did you know there’s a party in the Great Room being thrown in your honor?” Vara teased. “And you aren’t there! Now what kind of gratitude is that?”

Lara grinned. “I know…I’m coming. I’m just a little nervous.”

Vara entered the room completely, looking surprised. “Nervous? What do you have to be nervous about? You are one of the most daring and brave people I know.”

“Behind the scenes maybe, but I’ve never been good in a spotlight,” Lara pointed out. “Besides, your idea of daring and brave is what my father calls a pension for mischief. Then there’s that whole choosing a husband thing hanging over my head. So, yes, I’m just a bit worried about how things are going to go tonight.”

“Oh that! That’s nothing to be worked up about!” Vara said, waving her hand dismissively. When Lara started sputtering in protest, she hurried to point out, “You don’t have to make a decision tonight. You’re just going to meet your choices. Personally, I think it’s exciting! So come on and let’s go meet them.”

Lara obediently, though reluctantly, followed her cousin out of her room and allowed the door to close behind her. “Do you know any of the potentials?” she asked her cousin.

Vara nodded. “Dru-Zod and I have several classes together and have even done some hand-to-hand training together.”

“What is he like? I had a couple of classes with him years ago but haven’t really been around him, or any of the others for that matter. Although, I did assist Mul-Ong with some research at the library a couple of times and he seemed polite and pleasant enough.”

“I don’t know much of Mul-Ong, except that the House of Ong has long had a strategic place on the High Council for several generations. Dru-Zod is a serious student, very quick and very sharp. Though he doesn’t say much, his manners are without reproach and his smile is warm.

“One of the other young men I trained with got a little too rough for our training and Dru-Zod stood up for me, calling him out and reminding him that exercises were just that and we weren’t at war with each other. He wasn’t hateful, but matter-of-fact and got his point across. The other boy could take no offense, and Dru-Zod checked with me to make sure I was alright. He has good potential as a leader of Krypton,” Vara recalled. “He is also friends with the twins from the House of El. I don’t know them but have seen them a couple of times, and Dru-Zod has mentioned them often enough to let me know they must be fairly close.”

“Scientists and a warrior as close friends, strange combination,” Lara reflected. “That’s three, and as you say Mul-Ong is of a long line of politicians. That leaves my fifth choice, Ko-Bar, whose family is of the Merchant Class. He is the richest of my potentials and I have never laid eyes on him, that I can recall. Do you know anything of him?”

“Not a thing,” Vara answered, shaking her head. Seeing her cousin frown, she added, “But you shouldn’t worry. I will be by your side all evening unless you want me to go and do scouting on your list of five.”

Lara’s face cleared and she smiled. “I would love to see what you could find out, after we meet all of them, of course. I’m just glad they don’t know they are being considered as potential mates for me. Can you imagine how awkward that would be? It’s already awkward enough with me knowing.”

~JE/LLV~

Jor-El frowned as he followed his father and brother into the dwelling that served as the family seat of the House of Van. He had tried every argument and excuse he could come up with to get out of being here today, but Seyg-El would have none of it. For whatever reason, he was adamant that Jor-El would not only be at the party, but he had given his son a lecture on his behavior and had insisted both his sons bring a present for Lara Lor-Van. Jor-El hadn’t felt the sting of that kind of lecture from his father in years. Certainly, they argued frequently and rarely saw eye to eye on matters, but it had been some time since he had been lectured like a five year old.

Now, he adjusted the clip that held his cape closed over his shoulders with one hand while grasping firmly the present he had brought for the young lady of the house. He lagged behind his father, knowing they were late. Jor-El hoped he had missed the receiving line and he would be able to simply hide in a corner until this evening was over. He bit back a groan as it seemed he was on fate’s bad side; a man and woman stood just inside the entrance, welcoming their guests.

As he approached the man he recognized as Lor-Van, Jor-El felt his gaze wander over to the Lady Mara. He was curious as to her illness but didn’t feel right about inquiring about it outright. Her skin was pale and her face a little drawn, making her look tired and delicate—the word “weak” came to mind—but the smile she wore was bright and welcoming and her eyes shown with warmth and intelligence. Overall, Jor-El felt drawn to the woman and so his smile was genuine when he nodded his head in greeting to Lor-Van.

“Welcome!” Lor-Van boomed, a large smile on his face. “It is nice to officially meet you and your brother, Jor-El. Your father and I were friends in school many years ago, and I’ve been sorry that we haven’t stayed as close over the years. Our lives just seemed to take us in different directions most of the time. I understand that you and Zor-El are following in the El family tradition of science.”

Jor-El found himself liking the large man’s matching personality. “Yes, sir. Though I do believe that our studies and interests will take us in different branches and applications. Thankfully, our talents tend to complement each other’s instead of compete.”

Lor-Van looked the slightest bit concerned. “So you and your brother are close?”

The younger man could almost read his mind. Lor-Van was worried that his daughter might come between the two brothers. Well, that’s a complete impossibility, my lord, Jor-El thought to himself. Aloud, he simply nodded and said, “Close friends as well as blood brothers, my lord.”

Moving along, Jor-El was greeted by Lady Mara warmly. After making a reply that would have made his father beam had he noticed, Jor-El found himself asking, “So where is the young lady of honor? I had thought she would be eager to greet her guests as they arrived.”

Mara raised an eyebrow and murmured, “Indeed? Well, she was here with us, but as the arrivals started to trail off, she grew tired and slightly frustrated at trying to remember all the names of the guests. We sent her along to enjoy her party with her cousin. However, if you are so eager to find her, it should not be so difficult.”

Jor-El felt his cheeks warm and he cleared his throat. Lady Mara gave him a small grin. The sparkle in her eyes made him wonder if she knew he had learned his true purpose in being here. Either way, he was suddenly uncomfortable, mumbled his thanks for the invitation and moved along into the large crowd, not meeting her eyes again.

~JE/LLV~

“So have you met our possibly intended yet?” Jor-El asked his brother and Dru-Zod several minutes later. The three young men were currently standing between the refreshment table and a table laden with gifts for Lara Lor-Van.

“I haven’t laid eyes on her. Wouldn’t know her if she were standing right next to me,” Zor-El answered. “But then, if you hadn’t dawdled we might have gotten here earlier and would have met her in the receiving line.”

Jor-El ignored the accusation in his brother’s tone and turned to their friend. “Well, Zod? Have you met her?” At his friend’s nod, he asked, “What did you think of her?”

Zod was amused at the obvious apprehension in Jor-El’s manner. He shrugged casually. “First impression…she is lovely, obviously loves her parents…somewhat reserved, but her reputation from school and the impression I get is that she is very intelligent. She is already working in the Great Archives under the tutelage of the Master of Records, the Chief Librarian, and Head of Research.”

Jor-El picked up his hesitation and small smile. “What? What are you holding back?”

Still hesitating, Zod got a glint in his eyes. “I remembered hearing tales of her…exploits, shall we say, throughout school. I believe that she has a bit of a wild and somewhat mischievous spirit in her. I can’t share any concrete evidence of that, but the impression was there nonetheless. I believe there were rumors that she was the one behind the Teranian Box Hares being released in the science building at school a couple of years ago.”

Lara Lor-Van did that?” Zor-El gasped. “They were finding those critters for weeks after that.”

Zod shook his head. “It was never proven who was responsible.” He turned back to Jor-El. “You don’t seem thrilled by the idea of an arranged union, my friend.”

Scowling, the other young man shook his head. “I’m not,” he answered flatly. “But maybe that’s because I’m not sure I want to be joined to anyone at all. A marriage of political convenience seems just so…so cold.”

~JE/LLV~

Lara’s eyebrows came together and the corners of her mouth turned down as she and Vara walked away from Ko-Bar. Her first chat with Ko-Bar was interesting. She wasn’t quite sure what to make of him. One moment he was bragging about his family lineage and the goods and places they had seen and traded with, and the next he was asking about the last Parthay Match between old rival teams, of which he was on one. He never seemed to stop talking, mostly about himself. He had told Lara that she would know his gift from the others even without an ID because it would be the most luxuriant.

“Stop frowning like that,” Vara hissed through teeth clenched in a smile. “We are facing Ko-Bar’s parents and his mother appears to be watching us. You don’t want to give her the wrong impression.”

A smile automatically appeared on Lara’s face and she murmured back, “Or the right one. I’m not sure what to make of Ko-Bar. He certainly thinks a lot of himself and the House of Bar.”

“He’s a 17-year-old boy!” Vara pointed out. “They are usually only thinking about themselves. It doesn’t mean he would be a bad match…just that he might need a bit more maturing than you had thought. He could grow out of that tunnel vision. Most young men his age do.”

But not all, Lara thought to herself. Still, she didn’t comment aloud and that was a plus in her favor. Her mouth often got her into trouble. Spotting a group of three young men standing by the table holding her gifts, she pulled on her cousin’s arm. Two of the young men were unfamiliar to her, but she noted the familial resemblance, and they were currently speaking with Dru-Zod.

“Vara, are the two young men with Dru-Zod the boys from the House of El?” she whispered. “I don’t remember meeting them in the receiving line and they look like they could be brothers, at least from what I can see.” One of the young men had his back to her, but she caught a glimpse of his profile now and again.

Nodding, Vara confirmed her conclusion. “Yes, that’s them. Shall we go and introduce ourselves?”

Tilting her head, Lara shook it. “No, not outright. Let’s go to the refreshment table and see if we can hear what they are talking about. If they notice us, we can introduce ourselves.”

The two girls picked up plates and moved quickly down the table, grabbing things at random to fill their plates. As they stood towards the end of the table and worked on getting drinks, they could clearly hear what was being said. Dru-Zod was the only one of the three facing them directly. Lara and Vara had not yet caught his eye but that could change at any moment.

“You know, if you give this young lady a chance, she might make a very good match, brother. She headed in the field of research and you being a scientist. I for one am willing to see how it plays out,” the thinner and taller of the two young men said.

Lara frowned. It sounded like they knew exactly what was going on. Her parents had assured her that they would not tell the young men about the possibility of a betrothal just yet. She waited to hear what the other brother would say.

“I’m not even sure I want to be mated at all. The fact is that Lara Lor-Van is the daughter of a man who comes from a long line of explorers, an admirable profession, but one that is no longer of any use to Krypton, especially since the higher-ups decided to keep to ourselves in the universe. Then there’s her mother, a woman who has the reputation of a brilliant mind, but is affected by a mysterious illness no one seems to be able to figure out and makes everyone a little uneasy,” the other brother pointed out.

Lara stiffened and sucked in a breath, catching Dru-Zod’s attention and his eyes widened. He cleared his throat to say something to intervene but the other young man plowed on. “The truth, it seems to me, is that she would benefit more from being mated to me than the other way around. I get into enough trouble by myself with my own experiments and research without throwing another troublemaker into the mix. So, forgive me if I seem less than eager to meet my possibly intended, but I find the whole situation to be galling. I have absolutely no desire to become betrothed to an ambitious pest.”

Vara gasped lightly, but evidently the young man hadn’t heard her, but the other two had. The lankier youth looked at Dru-Zod with horrible comprehension in his eyes and Dru-Zod nodded subtly. With a small, tight smile, Zod asked, “And you would have no trouble telling all this to Lara Lor-Van herself?”

“Probably not in quite so many words, but yes, in the right setting and at the right time.”

“By all means, let me save you the trouble of trying to figure out when and how that should be,” Lara interrupted smoothly, her tone razor sharp. The young man whipped around and his eyes widened in panic. “I believe you have made your feelings quite clear…”

“Jor-El,” Dru-Zod supplied for her quietly.

“Jor-El,” Lara repeated. As he obviously struggled for something to say, she continued. “Please don’t struggle to apologize. I would much rather find out exactly what a pompous windbag you are now rather than later.”

Jor-El’s cheeks reddened, but if it were due to embarrassment or anger Lara could not say, nor did she care. “Thank you all so much for coming. I hope you enjoy the party. Perhaps you might enjoy the sour pickles, Jor-El.” Turning on her heel, she tossed her long hair and stalked away, Vara right with her. She gave herself a pat on the back in her mind for restraining herself from dumping the contents of her plate over Jor-El’s head.

“Now see what you’ve done!” Zor-El hissed at his brother. “Father will be furious with you!” He raced after the two young women, probably to reassure them that he did not wish to be lumped with his sibling.

As Jor-El simply stood with his mouth hanging open, he felt a hand clap his shoulder. “Well, my friend, looks like you made one great first impression!” Dru-Zod told him before walking away as well. Snapping his mouth shut, Jor-El swallowed and tried to ignore the sinking feeling in his stomach that proclaimed that this time he had really messed up.

Comment

Great, excelent up date. I´m loving Lara and Jor El. Pls up date sooner!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eleidich
                                Great, excelent up date. I´m loving Lara and Jor El. Pls up date sooner!!!
                                I'm trying! lol Believe me, I wish I had been able to write over these past few months. I'm currently working on the update for my CLois fic and then I'll try to switch back to this one. I'm trying to alternate between the two. Glad to see that someone is still reading!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎