0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Failing This City

1 2.22%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    10!

Very good start to the season.

Posting Pro
    I'm a little too busy right now to come up with a review, so I asked a cyberfriend of mine if I could post her observations on the similarities between the season one pilot and the season two premiere. She even got a twitter response from Marc Guggenheim that these similarities were intended and included in the script! Anyway, here they are:
    There is a lot that is very different from the Arrow Pilot and the first episode of season 2, City of Heroes, but then again there are some similarities. For me they were like hats off to the Pilot, here is a list of how I saw it.

• As the visitors land on the island they notice the Deathstroke mask on the beach.
    • Oliver is rescued again from the island.
    • Oliver returns to Starling City from being missing, pilot was 5 years this time only 5mths.
    • Oliver is driven through the city to see what has changed.
    • There is a great welcome from Thea, who has missed Oliver.
    • There is a push for Oliver to take over the family business, but this time it works.
    • There is TV news report on the return of Oliver Queen, but at least they got a new reporter. My comment: what happened to the African-American guy?? I liked him and I hope he will appear again sometime.
    • Laurel is surprised by a visit from Oliver.
    • Oliver and Laurel reconnect at an event, were they seek a quiet area to have a private discussion. In the pilot Oliver pushes Laurel away, but this time it is Laurel pushing Oliver away.
    • Oliver gets his man cave, i mean Arrow Cave.
    • There’s the escape out of a high-rise office building through a window.
    • Oliver apologies to Laurel over Sara’s death.
    • On the island Oliver discovers he is not alone, at least this time he didn’t get an Arrow though him.
    • A Queen is taken hostage by masked men, this time it’s Thea, and again Oliver solves the problem. Body count is a lot less.

I thought these observations were very astute. I'll add one difference between the Pilot and the season two opening episode, and that's the absence of Tommy...I really miss him! Hopefully he will return in a flashback in later episodes.

Summer Glau is too awesome

Forum Whiz
    Great episode. Favourite part being when Thea and Moira were talking and Thea says "If I hug you are they going to shoot us?" Also like the new businesswoman. Hope the next episode is as good.

Also I have to say that Laurel looked stunning.
    Last edited by Quark; 10-11-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Arrow Season 2: City of Heroes Review
    Oliver Queen’s actions are understandable not wanting to come back as the vigilante. A lot of his reluctance is because of the guilt he carries he feels he has failed those he cares about which affects his relationships with those he cares about.
    *First, Tommy is the biggest fail because of the Hood side of him being a killer that is all Tommy saw as he died. Then there is Laurel side of that factor when he saw that Laurel and he slept together.
    *Second, Laurel and the long complicated history between the two. He has this ideal of Laurel because he dwell on the past of the relationship. Also there is the element of Sarah that he took on the boat with him and he sees the guilt every time Laurel lashes out at him.
    *Third, Thea that still is a up and down relationship because Oliver still see the little girl but is also proud of who she is becoming.
    *Fourth, Felicity being a breath of fresh air but still a little mystery to her. She believes in him and gets who he has become making him see that he can be a hero. Helping him see beyond the list his father left him.
    *Fifth, Moira his mother someone that can help him see his potential of being leader to the family company and helps him see that he can turn to others to help. That is he estranged husband Walter Steel.

Laurel Lance’s actions are understandable too because of the guilt she carries sleeping with Oliver. Then also Tommy died saving her so she is looking for a scapegoat blaming the Hood for his death. So her actions affect her relationships with the people around her.
    *First, Tommy like I said the guilt that she could not let go of her past with Oliver when they were on a break.
    *Second, Oliver her complicated past with him. First finding out that her sister went with him on the boat him being responsible her death. Second, when Oliver returned him being alive and her sister is dead. Third, sleeping with Oliver when she stilled cared for Tommy.
    *Third, Quentin her father who she sees blames Oliver just as much for her sister’s death. Also since her mother left she was there to take care of her father in the downward spiral.
    *Fourth, the Hood at first believing in him even though everyone in her life thinks he is dangerous. After everything that happened now she sees what other sees and also blames him for Tommy’s death as a scapegoat. Which she does not know yet it is Oliver Queen she is blaming.
    *Fifth, everyone else she interacts with are a direct consequence the above relationships. That is why she is so quick to trust people before she gets the whole story and it makes her a good lawyer.

Team Hood(Oliver/Shado/Slade) versus Team Arrow(Oliver/Felicity/Diggle)
    *In the flashbacks we see with new players showing up on the island we see that it is to survive either get killed or kill.
    *In the present it is to find justice not to be killed or kill but to follow the law to keep the city safe.

New players
    *Black Canary to protect the Glades and family from new threats. I loved the debut fight very much like the Hoods first fight.
    *How long has she been in Starling City?
    *What is her background story?
    *Who is she connected to in Starling City?
    *Adam Donner (District Attorney) to clean up Starling City by taking down the Queen name by making an example of Moira Queen.
    *Isabel Rochev to gut Queen Consolidated and then build it anew by taking The Queeen’s out of the picture.

Keep in mind I don't rate until I have watched the episode twice and put the things that stick out to me. I give it a 10 because great introduction to Black Canary and the new storylines that will go throughout the season.

New In Town
    Does anyone have a good idea how Laurel would know that Malcolm Merlyn was also the Dark Archer? Not even Moira knew this. Does everyone know now? Did Oliver tell? But then they would ask how he would know... so he probably didn't.

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Astra View Post
    Does anyone have a good idea how Laurel would know that Malcolm Merlyn was also the Dark Archer? Not even Moira knew this. Does everyone know now? Did Oliver tell? But then they would ask how he would know... so he probably didn't.
    If the police found Malcolm's body he was wearing his Dark Archer costume when he fought Ollie so they might of released that information to the public.

New In Town
    Quote Originally Posted by Halberdier17 View Post
    If the police found Malcolm's body he was wearing his Dark Archer costume when he fought Ollie so they might of released that information to the public.
    Of course. In my head he is still so much alive that I totally missed that explanation LOL
    I was wondering about Tommy's grave though. I would have expected someone as rich as Malcom has a huge family grave where his wife already is and they are buried as well. Note, there was only Tommy's gravestone but not Malcolm's... which brings me back to question one

I also wonder how someone as rich as Moira would not have the money to pay a caution to not be in prison prior to her trial?

Banned
    The Lazarus Pit saves all.

New In Town
    I have no complaints. It was very good. One thing I liked was the part with the 4 copycats were pinned to the wall and after speaking to Quentin (who is now like James Gordon) he ascends up [Vancouver's Hastings Overpass]. It kind of reminded me of the old Spider-man cartoon series of the 1960's. I wonder if he will now leave messages signed The Arrow or whatever his superhero name is like Spider-man - he'll probably use recorded messages not paper. Also I liked how Deathstroke has his own theme when they showed the mask and also Black Canary with the canary tweets when she leaves.

Incurable Postaholic RightWingConspirator's Avatar
    I liked it a lot. Not really seeing why Laurel is blaming The Hood for Tommy's death though. Black Canary debuts! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by RightWingConspirator View Post
    I liked it a lot. Not really seeing why Laurel is blaming The Hood for Tommy's death though. Black Canary debuts! Yay!
    It is like Laurel said "Tommy was caught in a war between two archers." So since one is dead she needs to punish the one that is alive the Hood to bring justice in her mind. Like I had said she needs a scapegoat right now and this is where the Black Canary comes in and will have an impact on her. Hope that helps.

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RightWingConspirator View Post
    Honestly, Laurel needs a scapegoat because she feels a bit of guilt as well, and for her she needs someone to go after. She is very much her father's daughter (1x13 for reference) and so she's dealing with her grief that way. However, the casual viewer is not going to look too deeply into the psyche and so for any casual viewers of Arrow, well, I can't say what Laurel appears to be because it'd be edited by the mods...

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JDBentz View Post
    Honestly, Laurel needs a scapegoat because she feels a bit of guilt as well, and for her she needs someone to go after. She is very much her father's daughter (1x13 for reference) and so she's dealing with her grief that way. However, the casual viewer is not going to look too deeply into the psyche and so for any casual viewers of Arrow, well, I can't say what Laurel appears to be because it'd be edited by the mods...
    Oh, they are already saying it on some non-moderated forums! Given that online fandoms as a rule are much more lenient towards the male protagonists than towards the female protagonists (just think of all the vitriol that was poured over poor Skyler White by the "Breaking Bad" fans!), I predict that Laurel will be quite severely criticized for going after the Hood, whatever her motives. Fortunately the Ksite posters respect other forum members and usually don't go overboard with their criticism. Anyway, since I usually try to defend Laurel and her actions, I will try to explain (or rationalize!) her stance by offering my POV on the matter:

First of all, if you look at it from a dramaturgical point of view it is a good move to have Laurel in the DA's office with the mission of catching "the Hood" because it will keep the Oliver/Laurel/Quentin storylines connected. Guggenheim admitted that the Laurel/Tommy storyline was somewhat disconnected from the rest of the action in season one and that they would try to keep their various characters and story threads tighter related to one another in season two. From that perspective, season two will be a reverse of season one-in season one Laurel collaborated with "the Hood" (and chose to disregard the lethal aspects of his mission) because she thought he could help her bring justice to her clients. She also came into conflict with her father because HE was hellbent on catching "the Hood", whom he regarded as a cold-blooded murderer. In season two Laurel will go after "the Hood" herself, partly because it's her job to bring him to justice, partly because of misplaced "survivor's guilt" and anger over Tommy's death....that is, for roughly the same reasons that Quentin went after Oliver/"the Hood" in season one! On the other hand, Quentin will be more lenient towards the Hood and even cooperate with him, something that might cause conflict between him and Laurel. These are just my predictions, so there is no guarantee that this is how things will play out.

Anyway, I personally think it will be exciting to see how Laurel's pursuit of "the Hood" will influence the Laurel/Oliver relationship. My impression from the season premiere is that they are still in love with each other, although they both feel that they can't be together as a couple. In a sense they seem closer now than they did in season one...in fact, I think that Laurel can understand Oliver's feelings about cheating on her with Sarah better now that she herself feels that she cheated on Tommy. So, apart from their grief over Tommy, Laurel and Oliver as a couple seem to be in a good place emotionally. On the other hand we will see Laurel in an antagonistic position towards "the Hood", who is in reality Oliver's alter ego. It will be interesting to see her discuss her pursuit with Ollie, not knowing that they are in fact the same man, as well as Oliver's reactions and how he will deal with his double identity as a friend/former lover and hunted vigilante in his relationship with her.

The second reason why I think this could be a good storyline is that it gives the writers the opportunity to deal with the issue of Oliver's killings, which TBH handled in a pretty half-assed manner in the previous season. I'm going to quote something that I found in an online review:

Laurel's new path against "The Hood" is a very important storyline for both herself and Oliver. Someone like her needs to draw the line in how far a vigilante can go and someone needs to make Oliver realize what he's done wrong. Oliver's reason to stop killing is pathetic at best. He doesn't seem to grasp it's nowhere near as simple as "Tommy didn't like me killing people so I'll stop and everyone will forget that I've killed so many people in cold blood." This entire season is useless if someone like Laurel doesn't challenge Oliver to help him become the Green Arrow.
    I don't care if Laurel catches flak for this storyline because good writing has nothing to do with fan reactions. It'd be nice if people came to like my favorite character but she doesn't need to be butchered for them. Oliver isn't a sweet angel who can do no wrong just because he's the protagonist. When someone kills the way he does, I don't get why it's so hard to realize that people have a damn good reason to go after him. To them, The Undertaking is also a huge mystery with the only source of information coming from Moira Queen who they would be fools to trust.

I know there are people who think that Oliver's killings are OK, because it's only television or because he kills for a good cause. There are also shipper "fangirls" who only regard Oliver as a gorgeous hero, who they want to see romantically involved with their chosen girl. I don't think there's anything wrong with shipping (I'm a bit of a fangirl myself!). However, I think that there is more to Oliver than being handsome and heroic. One shouldn't forget that Oliver has so far been portrayed as a highly flawed hero, and if his journey to becoming "Green Arrow" is going to make any sense they have to deal with his past, including his killings. And it doesn't really matter that he only killed "bad guys" (or rather, mostly the henchmen of the "bad guys"!). In the eyes of the law, there is no difference between killing a villain or a saint-either way you have to pay for it. I also agree with the reviewer that the whole question is a lot more complicated than "Tommy didn't like me killing people so I'll stop right now and hope everyone will forget that I've killed so many people in cold blood." It's not what Tommy thought about Oliver that should really matter, but Oliver's OWN feelings about the thirty or so human lives on his conscience. Up until the season finale Oliver was clearly in a "kill or be killed" mindset, and he seemed to be perfectly able to forget what he had done once it was over. If he is going to be more aware of the worth of a life, I think he has to somehow come to terms with what he has done in the past. In my humble opinion it's only after such a "crucible" that he can become a Real Hero. Laurel going after him may be a catalyst for that, mainly because she is a person whose feelings and opinions mean a lot to him. I'm sure this storyline will have repercussions for Laurel's development into B.C. as well, but I'll leave them for another post!

I hope this didn't sound to "soap-boxy"/moralistic or incoherent!
    Last edited by evaba; 10-13-2013 at 03:29 PM.

New In Town
    Oh man im SO glad that Arrow has returned! I even went ahead and picked up the Season 1 Blu Ray the other day. I was a big fan of this episode, I also did a VIDEO REVIEW sharing my thoughts on the episode and whats to come for the season. Feel free to check it out, reply and if you want to see me, subscribe as I do these weekly

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast