Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "City of Heroes?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It certainly was worth the wait! I loved the fact that Oliver went back to the island. I just wonder how it is possible that Thea runs the nightclub and still hasn't discovered the arrow base underneath the club.......

Comment

Originally posted by evaba
      Oh, they are already saying it on some non-moderated forums! Given that online fandoms as a rule are much more lenient towards the male protagonists than towards the female protagonists (just think of all the vitriol that was poured over poor Skyler White by the "Breaking Bad" fans!), I predict that Laurel will be quite severely criticized for going after the Hood, whatever her motives. Fortunately the Ksite posters respect other forum members and usually don't go overboard with their criticism. Anyway, since I usually try to defend Laurel and her actions, I will try to explain (or rationalize!) her stance by offering my POV on the matter:

First of all, if you look at it from a dramaturgical point of view it is a good move to have Laurel in the DA's office with the mission of catching "the Hood" because it will keep the Oliver/Laurel/Quentin storylines connected. Guggenheim admitted that the Laurel/Tommy storyline was somewhat disconnected from the rest of the action in season one and that they would try to keep their various characters and story threads tighter related to one another in season two. From that perspective, season two will be a reverse of season one-in season one Laurel collaborated with "the Hood" (and chose to disregard the lethal aspects of his mission) because she thought he could help her bring justice to her clients. She also came into conflict with her father because HE was hellbent on catching "the Hood", whom he regarded as a cold-blooded murderer. In season two Laurel will go after "the Hood" herself, partly because it's her job to bring him to justice, partly because of misplaced "survivor's guilt" and anger over Tommy's death....that is, for roughly the same reasons that Quentin went after Oliver/"the Hood" in season one! On the other hand, Quentin will be more lenient towards the Hood and even cooperate with him, something that might cause conflict between him and Laurel. These are just my predictions, so there is no guarantee that this is how things will play out.

Anyway, I personally think it will be exciting to see how Laurel's pursuit of "the Hood" will influence the Laurel/Oliver relationship. My impression from the season premiere is that they are still in love with each other, although they both feel that they can't be together as a couple. In a sense they seem closer now than they did in season one...in fact, I think that Laurel can understand Oliver's feelings about cheating on her with Sarah better now that she herself feels that she cheated on Tommy. So, apart from their grief over Tommy, Laurel and Oliver as a couple seem to be in a good place emotionally. On the other hand we will see Laurel in an antagonistic position towards "the Hood", who is in reality Oliver's alter ego. It will be interesting to see her discuss her pursuit with Ollie, not knowing that they are in fact the same man, as well as Oliver's reactions and how he will deal with his double identity as a friend/former lover and hunted vigilante in his relationship with her.

The second reason why I think this could be a good storyline is that it gives the writers the opportunity to deal with the issue of Oliver's killings, which TBH handled in a pretty half-assed manner in the previous season. I'm going to quote something that I found in an online review:

I know there are people who think that Oliver's killings are OK, because it's only television or because he kills for a good cause. There are also shipper "fangirls" who only regard Oliver as a gorgeous hero, who they want to see romantically involved with their chosen girl. I don't think there's anything wrong with shipping (I'm a bit of a fangirl myself!). However, I think that there is more to Oliver than being handsome and heroic. One shouldn't forget that Oliver has so far been portrayed as a highly flawed hero, and if his journey to becoming "Green Arrow" is going to make any sense they have to deal with his past, including his killings. And it doesn't really matter that he only killed "bad guys" (or rather, mostly the henchmen of the "bad guys"!). In the eyes of the law, there is no difference between killing a villain or a saint-either way you have to pay for it. I also agree with the reviewer that the whole question is a lot more complicated than "Tommy didn't like me killing people so I'll stop right now and hope everyone will forget that I've killed so many people in cold blood." It's not what Tommy thought about Oliver that should really matter, but Oliver's OWN feelings about the thirty or so human lives on his conscience. Up until the season finale Oliver was clearly in a "kill or be killed" mindset, and he seemed to be perfectly able to forget what he had done once it was over. If he is going to be more aware of the worth of a life, I think he has to somehow come to terms with what he has done in the past. In my humble opinion it's only after such a "crucible" that he can become a Real Hero. Laurel going after him may be a catalyst for that, mainly because she is a person whose feelings and opinions mean a lot to him. I'm sure this storyline will have repercussions for Laurel's development into B.C. as well, but I'll leave them for another post!

I hope this didn't sound to "soap-boxy"/moralistic or incoherent!
      Actually, I agree with what you're saying completely. I may not always be Laurel's biggest fan, but that's more because of some of the 'dumb' stuff the writers have her do rather than her character arc. Most of what she does fits with her personality, and with how she was raised. The only bone I had was with her decision to try and evacuate files from CNRI (which, it turns out, closed anyways thus rendering her attempt to save said files and Tommy's death moot besides the obvious changes to her and Ollie's nature), and we all know that was more the writers needing to set it up for Tommy to die. Honestly, they could've done something much better, like Tommy trying to help evacuate the Glades and show that he's more his mother's son than his father's (and that's the way he acts, so it wouldn't have been a stretch!), and then have him face a similar fate to his mother except at his father's hands (dying in the Glades).

I agree that of all the people whose going to get through to Oliver about his past as the Hood and change him more towards Green Arrow, it'll be Laurel with her moral edge and her viewpoint between justice and vigilantism (although, for many people, they wonder at the difference both in fiction and real life).

Soap-boxy is sometimes the best. That way you explain everything that you are seeing rather than it coming just piecemeal, bit by bit, over several pages. Not your fault if people don't like reading lots of words. That's the fault of the education system....

Comment

Still an enjoyable show, but still bugged by the cluelessness of everyone in Starling City. First, the vigilante appears shortly after Oliver Queen returns from a 5-year vacation on Lost Island (where Hurley was mysteriously a no-show). Then, the spotlight is cast on him as a prime suspect. Then after he's "cleared" thanks to the vigilante being spotted while he is in custody, which easily could have just been an ally pretending to be him to clear him (which it was) but nobody anywhere considers that possibility naturally. Then Oliver returns right back to his super-secret vigilante life with no one in the world monitoring him anymore even in the slightest. And now, we start another season with Oliver returning to Starling City yet again after a leave of absence -- and then boom, guess who else comes back not too long after that -- yes, the vigilante. (I guess now that Quentin Lance isn't a detective anymore he doesn't feel he has to use his brain anymore, because they're not paying him for that. Not that he was ever that bright to begin with. lol) Anyway that's my only real gripe with the series.

Comment

Hiya JD and thanks for the reply! I know that my posts are long-winded, so I'm happy when someone has the patience to actually read them and comment on them!

I have a few more thoughts on Laurel's new "mission", but I think I'll wait until the next episode, when we will know a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
            Still an enjoyable show, but still bugged by the cluelessness of everyone in Starling City. First, the vigilante appears shortly after Oliver Queen returns from a 5-year vacation on Lost Island (where Hurley was mysteriously a no-show). Then, the spotlight is cast on him as a prime suspect. Then after he's "cleared" thanks to the vigilante being spotted while he is in custody, which easily could have just been an ally pretending to be him to clear him (which it was) but nobody anywhere considers that possibility naturally. Then Oliver returns right back to his super-secret vigilante life with no one in the world monitoring him anymore even in the slightest. And now, we start another season with Oliver returning to Starling City yet again after a leave of absence -- and then boom, guess who else comes back not too long after that -- yes, the vigilante. (I guess now that Quentin Lance isn't a detective anymore he doesn't feel he has to use his brain anymore, because they're not paying him for that. Not that he was ever that bright to begin with. lol) Anyway that's my only real gripe with the series.
            Considering that 'the Hood' only just reappeared near the end of the first episode, I'd suggest you wait until at least mid-season to find out for sure before condemning the show. Also, while Arrow is semi-realistic, I would point out that in a city where the police are easily bought, I'd guess their masters would tell them to focus on catching the person giving them trouble, not the rich playboy that a cop with a vendetta has targeted (which is what Oliver made sure it looked like in 1x05). Now, you say Quentin is not the brightest tool, and you might be right on that. But he already suspected Oliver, and despite his anger at Oliver I'd say it'd be very surprising if his suspicions were purely out of anger over Sara's death. In fact, I have my suspicions that Quentin will once again be suspicious of Oliver, but this time he's his ally not his enemy; the 2x03 episode description suggests (to me) that Quentin will at least have strong suspicions that Oliver is actually the man he was chasing, since he'll be working with not only Felicity and Arrow, but also Diggle to catch a killer he put away.

Anyways, just some things to think on.

Comment

Originally posted by JDBentz
              Considering that 'the Hood' only just reappeared near the end of the first episode, I'd suggest you wait until at least mid-season to find out for sure before condemning the show. Also, while Arrow is semi-realistic, I would point out that in a city where the police are easily bought, I'd guess their masters would tell them to focus on catching the person giving them trouble, not the rich playboy that a cop with a vendetta has targeted (which is what Oliver made sure it looked like in 1x05). Now, you say Quentin is not the brightest tool, and you might be right on that. But he already suspected Oliver, and despite his anger at Oliver I'd say it'd be very surprising if his suspicions were purely out of anger over Sara's death. In fact, I have my suspicions that Quentin will once again be suspicious of Oliver, but this time he's his ally not his enemy; the 2x03 episode description suggests (to me) that Quentin will at least have strong suspicions that Oliver is actually the man he was chasing, since he'll be working with not only Felicity and Arrow, but also Diggle to catch a killer he put away.

Anyways, just some things to think on.
              Like Mirror Spock said to Kirk at the end of that classic ST episode, "JDBentz...I shall consider it." Lol but yeah you're right I'll give the show a chance to redeem the intelligence of its entire world. But if they don't show us on-screen that somebody, anybody, is on to Oliver, then nobody's on to Oliver. And if nobody's on to Oliver, then what exactly is Oliver fighting to save? A city that fails itself (by its lack of intelligence)? lol Anyway kidding aside I agree that Quentin will likely not turn Oliver in (for various reasons), if/when he does finally clue in.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
                Like Mirror Spock said to Kirk at the end of that classic ST episode, "JDBentz...I shall consider it." Lol but yeah you're right I'll give the show a chance to redeem the intelligence of its entire world. But if they don't show us on-screen that somebody, anybody, is on to Oliver, then nobody's on to Oliver. And if nobody's on to Oliver, then what exactly is Oliver fighting to save? A city that fails itself (by its lack of intelligence)? lol Anyway kidding aside I agree that Quentin will likely not turn Oliver in (for various reasons), if/when he does finally clue in.
                Another thing to think about is that a recent interview Stephen Amell did (they've got the video for it on the interviews or videos page at GreenArrowTV, I think) had him saying that there are people out there who know that Oliver is the vigilante; but he doesn't know that they know about him and that will cause trouble. Now, the most obvious group is ARGUS and its commander, Amanda Waller (in the Arrowverse). Should be interesting.

Comment

I thought it was a good episode
                  It were emotional times for a lot of the characters but they diddn't hammer on that to much
                  And that's what I loved about it because i'm all about the action!

Comment

I do really want to love this show and all. But it sucks that it can sometimes be very cheesy, like the scenes with Oliver and Laurel. They have no chemistry at all. And also the weak performances. I don't wanna bash on Katie Cassidy, but she really isn't suited for this role at all. I don't think she's a bad actress, I've seen her act well. But this role isn't right for her at all.

A weak 7/10.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎