No announcement yet.

Star Wars Rebels (Disney XD)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue screen of death

As for the first comment I also thought the fight was underwhelming at first. Then I realized the fight mirrored the duel between qui-gon and maul right before he killed qui-gon. Obi-wan went from his "normal fighting form" to that of qui-gon's. Maul tried the same attack that let him defeat qui-gon only to fail versus obi-wan. I thought it was a nice callback to what both characters were as well as defining points in their lives that made them who they were as the rest of their stories unfolded after naboo to who they are now. Old, tired, living with a potentially outdated paradigm. A lot was said without saying much in that scene. Maul and obi-wan had faced all their drama now it was time for them to close the circle.
    To put an image to your words:

Comment

Originally posted by Blue screen of death
      To answer your 2nd question first. It goes back to the whole "certain point of view" Obi-wan said to luke. In Obi-wan's eyes Anikin is dead and unredeemable therefore not the chosen one. Luke is, in his eyes, the last hope to destroy the sith. Though at the end of "jedi" it was Luke that redeemed anikin and brought him back from the darkside and made him (anikin) a "jedi" again and he killed the emperor and died of his wounds therefore destroying the sith and fulfilling his destiny as the chosen on. As Padme said at the end of "sith" before she died "there is still good in him" Obi-wan and yoda didn't see it or believe it. As the good man that was once anikin slywalker was destroyed when he became darth vader and no longer potentially the chosen one. I can go more star wars nerd into if you want, but that's an overview.
      So... does that mean Obi-Wan is wrong when he says that in the cartoon? Or, should I say, mistaken?

As for the first comment I also thought the fight was underwhelming at first. Then I realized the fight mirrored the duel between qui-gon and maul right before he killed qui-gon. Obi-wan went from his "normal fighting form" to that of qui-gon's. Maul tried the same attack that let him defeat qui-gon only to fail versus obi-wan. I thought it was a nice callback to what both characters were as well as defining points in their lives that made them who they were as the rest of their stories unfolded after naboo to who they are now. Old, tired, living with a potentially outdated paradigm. A lot was said without saying much in that scene. Maul and obi-wan had faced all their drama now it was time for them to close the circle.
      I did NOT pick up on the "same attack that let him defeat Qui-Gon" thing. That makes it a lot better. Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
        So... does that mean Obi-Wan is wrong when he says that in the cartoon? Or, should I say, mistaken?

I did NOT pick up on the "same attack that let him defeat Qui-Gon" thing. That makes it a lot better. Thanks for pointing that out.
        Obi-wan once believed as Qui-gon that anikin was indeed the chosen one, though qui-gon never waivered in that. So when obi-wan defeated Darth vader on mustafar he believed anikin failed to become the chosen one by joining the sith. Yoda Also believed this after order 66 and his defeat at the hands of palpatine. They both believed anikin was "dead and gone forever". Yoda warns luke during his training that once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny. Meaning in from that point of view once you go dark side there is no way back. Leaving only luke and or leia to defeat the sith. They believed Anikin would face off against the sith as a jedi knight/master and defeat the sith once and for all, not become what he was meant to destroy with redemption impossible. The jedi failed to evolve as the sith did in their belief of the force and where unable to see any other possibility other then what they thought. Yoda even mentioned this in a round about way when he says "A prophecy that may have been misread" So the short answer is yes Obi-wan was mistaken only because his prior teachings and experiences led him to that conclusion.

this video explains it better than i can without writing a novel.
        Help support Star Wars Reading Club by purchasing Star Wars items through Amazon: http://amzn.to/2njuAIrTwitter: @SWReadingClubTwitch: www.twitch.tv/swrcgami...

Comment

That makes his staying away from Luke kind of tragic. He thinks Luke is the chosen one but doesn't train him or even reveal his existence. He doesn't dare try with Luke after failing so miserably with Anakin.

Man, that's pretty deep for a cartoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
            That makes his staying away from Luke kind of tragic. He thinks Luke is the chosen one but doesn't train him or even reveal his existence. He doesn't dare try with Luke after failing so miserably with Anakin. Man, that's pretty deep for a cartoon.
            You can blame Owen Lars. Old Ben mentioned how Owen wouldn't allow him to give Luke the lightsaber and didn't want Luke to follow him on "some damn fool idealistic crusade." In one of the Kenobi flashback issues of the current Star Wars comic, they expounded on that a bit. Ben was encouraging Luke's piloting skills from afar by acquiring some parts for him, and Owen showed up on Ben's doorstep and yelled at him.

I believe Ben was intentionally portrayed as mistaken, but I have a hard time caring too much about the Chosen One prophecy. It's only ever vaguely addressed, and never do we get to know what it actually says, who said it, or the context in which it was said. Qui-Gon just ranted about it in one movie while everyone else was skeptical; then, everyone apparently started to believe it in the next movie. And what's even the point if Snoke and Kylo throw it back out of balance a few decades later (Sith or not)? There's also the question of what balance really is, and the Mortis trilogy in The Clone Wars, instead of answering anything, only created more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
              And what's even the point if Snoke and Kylo throw it back out of balance a few decades later (Sith or not)?
              There are rumors that suggest this question will be answered in The Last Jedi. They sound outlandish and I don't know that I believe them, but if you're interested in a potential major spoiler (if it's true) I'll put it in spoiler tags.

[SPOILER]
              There's a rumor that Rey is Anakin reincarnated. She learns from Luke that the Chosen One is constantly being reincarnated over and over again to re-balance the Force. He actually says to her, "You are my Father."
              [/SPOILER]

Again, could be total BS. Sounds like total BS. But it would answer your question.

Comment

[SPOILER]Rey as Anakin reincarnated[/SPOILER] is a rumor I recall hearing (among the multitude of rumors flying around) and not taking seriously. I may have even joked that [SPOILER]Rey was the new Chosen One[/SPOILER] at some point. I don't know. I'm not sure if that scenario would make me like the Chosen One idea more or less.

I haven't heard that quote, though. I can't possibly imagine that being used. That sounds like fanfic.

I'm sure someone did it, but it might be fun to look back at all the TFA rumors and see how many, if any, were remotely accurate.

Comment

For TFA only, I think a lot of the rumors were accurate because someone leaked a lot of details and JJ got pissed.

But your general point is dead on. Lots and lots of rumors end up being false.

Comment

Finally got around to watching the finale of Rebels. They certainly do up their game for the finales in terms of making them more cinematic than the typical weekly installment. It felt bigger and grander in scope, just like last year's. That said, this was basically two episodes to show us one uninteresting battle that should have ended with all of them being killed. Nearest I can tell, there are four main reasons Thrawn didn't end up killing every last one of them:

1: Konstantine was an idiot and disobeyed orders. It undermines Sato's sacrifice, in my opinion, because we're led to believe it wouldn't have worked had Konstantine held his position. This part of their escape is due to Imperial incompetence.

2: Ezra and the Mandalorians can destroy an Interdictor on foot from the outside. This, to me, is just stupid. What are these ships made of?

3: Thrawn stops firing on them. I know Thrawn has orders to take captives, but this is another one of those things where the Rebels don't actually do anything to save themselves.

4: Bendu intervenes. Bendu is unmoved by Kanaan's speech. He's a character that claims not to care about the conflict, but intercedes anyway. And this is really more dumb luck that they happened to put their base on a world with an omniscient being on it more than it is anything else.

So, if we step back and take a real overview of what the main characters accomplished and how they did or did not grow in these two episodes, what can we say? The only reasons any of them are alive are due to contrivances, Imperial incompetence, and dumb luck. None of the main characters grow from the beginning of the episode to the end. And.... that's really it. There's nothing else going on.

I was letdown.

Comment

• Star Wars Rebels proved to me that Thrawn is (again) one of the best villains in the universe that has no force powers.

Comment

• Comment

• Sad to hear that this will be the last season. At the same time, it's nice to see Filoni be allowed to conclude the story, that he and the others behind the shows set out to make. Instead of it getting cancelled and ending with a giant cliffhanger. Or being milked dry and overstaying it's welcome (*cough*Simpsons*Cough*). And, obviously, there will be more Star Wars shows in the future. I for one could see them doing a show, that explores the years after ROTJ. They could even bring back Mara Jade for such a show.

Comment

• It could just be retooled. Justice League ended after season 2, but Justice League Unlimited continued their story. And JL was just a continuation of several Batman and Superman series.

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                              Sad to hear that this will be the last season. At the same time, it's nice to see Filoni be allowed to conclude the story, that he and the others behind the shows set out to make. Instead of it getting cancelled and ending with a giant cliffhanger. Or being milked dry and overstaying it's welcome (*cough*Simpsons*Cough*). And, obviously, there will be more Star Wars shows in the future. I for one could see them doing a show, that explores the years after ROTJ. They could even bring back Mara Jade for such a show.
                              I've heard people reference "The Clone Wars" as one that got abruptly cancelled despite being a fun watch. Plus after Rogue One I think there's only so much they can do with the characters and stories given the period.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎