Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gotham (FOX) - Original KSiteTV Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, is Gordon the main character, or is Bruce? As long as it doesn't degenerate into kid Riddler, kid Catwoman, kid Penguin, etc., there's something to be said for showing bits of the lives of Edward Nygma, Selina Kyle, Oswald Cobblepot, and the others before the days of Batman. Also, if the show is supposed to go from child Bruce to Batman, there must be a heck of a time jump at some point. And if it's really supposed to end with Bruce putting on the cape and cowl, I sincerely hope they plan out exactly how many seasons they need to effectively convey that journey. I don't want another ten years of stretching things out to the detriment of the character. They won't get that long on Fox anyway.

Comment

Jim Gordan will be the main character early on as it will be centered around him and the Gotham police but with this news released today where they say it will lead up to Bruce putting one the cowl could mean where getting big time jumps. As the first episode/season is apparently about Jim investigating the homicides of the Wayne's.

Comment

Maybe they shouldn't really show Batman. Just drop hints regarding Bruce's transformation. Towards the end, let there be these rumours about some sort of monster haunting Gotham. Gordon thinks it might be a vigilante. The last episode could be that classic rooftop scene. The 'creature' has essentially given Gordon enough clues to get him there and as he looks around we finally hear a familiar voice calling out his name. A weird shadow is seen behind Gordon, wings (cape) flapping in the wind. Gordon turns around and he gasps in shock as the silhouette of the cowl falls on his face. The End. Roll Credits.

Comment

Fox president Kevin Reilly threw comic book fans a super bone on Monday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour by affirming that Gotham, its recently ordered series about the origins of oneday police commish James Gordon, will not only also follow a young Bruce Wayne’s journey to becoming Batman but feature iconic villains, […]

Asked to expound on the presence of Bruce Wayne — a character heretofore declared basically untouchable by shows such as Smallville and Arrow — Reilly made clear: “We will arc a young Bruce Wayne from a child” of about 12 until whenever the series finale might be, at which point he “puts on the cape.”

Reilly explained to a small group of reporters after his executive presentation that Fox ponied up a “very healthy licensing fee” to secure “all of the underlying Batman rights for the entire franchise.” He added: “This is not some adjunct companion series. This is the Batman franchise, just backing it up (in chronology).”
          Looks like the show will be more about young Bruce Wayne's journey to becoming Batman than previously thought. Question is, will the series finale be guest starring Ben Affleck as the all-grown-up Batman?

Comment

Originally posted by gmster
            http://tvline.com/2014/01/13/gotham-...yne-to-batman/

Looks like the show will be more about young Bruce Wayne's journey to becoming Batman than previously thought. Question is, will the series finale be guest starring Ben Affleck as the all-grown-up Batman?
            it's not going to have any connection with the MOS/DC universe.

That's my opinion and they've not indicated in any shape or from that it will be connected.

Comment

If they tie it to MOS then the show would have to be a period piece. Affleck is playing a Batman in his 40s in the present day. That would require the show to be set in the early 80s. I don't see that happening. This is probably going to be its own thing.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                it's not going to have any connection with the MOS/DC universe.

That's my opinion and they've not indicated in any shape or from that it will be connected.
                I think because of SHIELD they've learned what not do and they'll leave the universes separate. It gives either universes a license to do what they want to with any or all characters and/or storylines.
                Last edited by darkphoenix21; 01-13-2014, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Please link to GothamSite whenever possible:

Add more credibility to your site - get a premium domain today. Straight-forward shopping experience.

Comment

From what I've read of the proposed series (which isn't much, considering most of the reports are based on FOX PR releases and press tour announcements), it's nothing like I had originally envisioned. That is mostly on me, I'll admit it.

They mentioned Jim Gordon being a central character, and with talk that he's investigating a double homicide, I had visions of a gritty real-world police procedural / crime drama in the vein of Gotham Central comics. Or, for non-comics readers, Law and Order or some of the great UK police procedurals.

Maybe there will be some of that in the beginning, but it looks like the focus is tracing Bruce's journey from boyhood to his destiny in the shadows.

They're apparently not above fast-forwarding the timeline, so I can see how they might go forward to Bruce in H.S. or college.

This is sounding more like SV (take that how you will). If it's true that many of Bats' rogues gallery will be there in some form, anyone want to take early bets on brooding Bruce being oblivious to quirky Selina and class vegan Pamela's attentions? I hope they take the elements that worked on SV and mercilessly discard what didn't. Gotham should be its own entity, not some 2nd generation imitation -- it's Batman we're dealing with here!

Batman is my favourite superhero. Fans are more than willing to call them to task when the Dark Knight is not handled well and I can't blame them. His recent history on TV has so far not been encouraging (BOP, "Adam Knight", etc.). The movie trilogy gives me some hope that they will handle Bruce Wayne with more care, as it's a standard to aspire to.

I stuck with SV all 10 seasons, even though Superman isn't my favourite superhero (he gets the silver medal in that dept.). I'd like to think I was both fair and harsh whenever the writing re: Clark fell short of the "ideal" of Superman, however you may define it.

Batman has a successful movie trilogy behind him and a solid post-New 52 comics presence. The standards are going to be pretty high, as least from fans who consider Bats the top dog. If FOX's Bruce falls short, they can (and should) expect no mercy.

Having said that, I will give this series a chance.

The "operatic soap" phrase the network used to describe it is definitely a hint at where this is going and, if the series gets past its initial season, it's the phrase Bat-fans like me will be going back to ... good or bad.

Don't botch it up FOX.
                    Last edited by President_Luthor; 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I might watch this now that it's been clarified that we'll see BW and other characters (like SK).

If Gordon will be investigating the murder of Bruce's parents, then I wonder how much interaction both characters will have because of that.

Obviously, they have to cast an Alfred Pennyworth. Who else will take care of Bruce, as I don't see it being Gordon?

This has so much potential to be great.

Comment

Ben McKenzie has been cast as James Gordon:

Add more credibility to your site - get a premium domain today. Straight-forward shopping experience.
                        Last edited by KSiteTV; 02-08-2014, 05:50 PM. Reason: GothamSite... Remember it. :P

Comment

^^ŵas just about to post that

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
                            ^^ŵas just about to post that
                            Heh, sorry! Not often I post the news first these days.

Comment

That's ok. It's going to be an interesting show. I guess we'll see how young Bruce Wayne losing his parents becomes what we know him to be while focusing on Gordon's (McKenzie) story

Comment

Interesting choice was pretty good in Southland.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎