No announcement yet.

See you in the funny pages

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See you in the funny pages

As I watched the finale, I thought Chloe's comment "see you in the funny pages" was quite out of placed, like the writers were trying to make her say something clever but I didn't get it. Some people posted that it was a reference to Superman's comic strip origins.

However, upon thought, I think the comment was a reference to the (then upcoming) Season 11 comics. That's where Chloe will see Clark next.

What do you think?

The timing is wrong for it to be a tip to the Season 11 comics. Bryan Q. Miller had suggested the idea informally to Geoff Johns when the latter visited the Smallville writers' offices whilst working on the script for Booster. However, it seems that BQM was only officially approached by DC about writing a spin-off comic after the TV show had finished production, so it would have been too late to include a reference in Finale.

I think that it is pretty clear that "See you in the funny pages" line is meant to be Chloe hinting at the Smallville comic we see her reading to her child in 2018 (presumably it was one of the visions she got when she put on Dr Fate's helmet), and an in-joke nod to the Superman comics (as Clark is about to become Superman, this is where his story becomes the one we know from the comic books). That it could be seen as a nod to this version of Clark (and other Smallville characters) continuing in their own comic book is a happy coincidence that, in retrospect, may look as if it was planned.

Comment

You're probably right. Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎