No announcement yet.

Why Batwoman Can't Get Married

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Batwoman Can't Get Married

Since 2007, Jezebel has been the Internet's most treasured source for everything celebrities, sex, and politics...with teeth.

Originally posted by Doug Barry, Gawker media
    Less than three days since the controversy surrounding DC Comics’ refusal, we have a great non-explanation explanation from the DC brass about why the publisher refused to allow characters Kate Kane (Batwoman) and her partner, Gotham City police officer Maggie Sawyer, to marry each other. You ready? (I mean, it’s so obvious — you might be kind of embarrassed.) Ooookay — so, Batwoman can’t get married because she’s a hero, and, by the enduring logic of all the grimmest and grittiest storylines threading through the perpetually midnight streets of Gotham City, heroes should be miserable. Like, all the time, if possible.

"Heroes shouldn’t have happy personal lives. They are committed to being that person and committed to defending others at the sacrifice of their own personal interests.
    That’s very important and something we reinforced. People in the Bat family their personal lives basically suck. Dick Grayson, rest in peace—oops shouldn’t have said that,—Bruce Wayne, Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon and Kathy Kane. It’s wonderful that they try to establish personal lives, but it’s equally important that they set them aside. That is our mandate, that is our edict and that is our stand." - DC co-publisher Dan Didio

It's too bad the creative team is changing. And even worse is the fact superheroes of the big two aren't allowed to be happy...like at all. Oh well, at least there's Robert Kirkman's Invincible.

Comment

They are also messing around with Aquaman's marriage:

I was just assured by a senior DC executive that, quite deliberately, “Aquaman is not married in New 52″. And never was. No Mephisto needed.
      Today, Dan DiDio told a packed hall at Baltimore Comic Con that heroes shouldn't get married. And he explained how heroes have to sacrifice their personal

I haven't kept up with Aquaman's book but from what I understand it's currently a matter of Atlantis and Xebel legally recognizing Arthur and Mera's marriage. Something about a technicality. LOL

Comment

its' frikin joke. The way Mera and Arthur were being written by Geoff Johns they were acting like husband and wife. But no all of a sudden they say oh no Arthur/Mera were never technically married.

They're website list's her as her husband. Dan Didio is a joke. Can't have happy and committed relationships. No sir ree. marriage is like the boogeyman it's not to be spoken of and your life is finished after you get married.

Comment

Geoff himself is writing the whole "legal technicality" thing with Aquaman's marriage.

DiDio has some weird problem with marriage though he himself is married if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Mid life crisis maybe or he's not happy in his. I don't like speculating on other people's marriages but you know.

No wonder he's stuck up Batman's a** because he's the one hero who usually is not allowed his happily ever after well not permanently unlike other heroes.

Comment

That kind of makes me scared for our happy Smallville couples.

Comment

Their logic baffles me. "Superheroes can't have happy personal lives and committed relationships". Huh? In real life police officers, firefighters, etc have families too. Wives, husbands, children. Or is that a myth?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtgirlTexas
                  That kind of makes me scared for our happy Smallville couples.
                  Smallville is set. It's the build up to the flash forward in 2018 that we saw in Finale. That can't be changed unless you do some major retcon which would drive away what loyal fan base that smallville has. Also the comic book has brought in new readers who don't like the New 52 version to some semi what classic Superman which smallville is.

god knows why my father married my mother being in the police force you know they could never be happy. BUNCH OF CLOWNS.

Comment

I think Bill Cosby said it best...

Comment

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Comment

This is the video of Didio spewing this nonsense. His tone as he speaks is so much worse than I imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                          Smallville is set. It's the build up to the flash forward in 2018 that we saw in Finale. That can't be changed unless you do some major retcon which would drive away what loyal fan base that smallville has. Also the comic book has brought in new readers who don't like the New 52 version to some semi what classic Superman which smallville is.
                          Good. Point.

Angst is all well and good and makes for a good tale and all, but constant unceasing angst gets boring to me after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                            I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
                            Earth is the best place in the solar system for you.

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
                            This is the video of Didio spewing this nonsense. His tone as he speaks is so much worse than I imagined.

He sounds like a politician, militantly defending his policy that heroes have to be miserable.

Honestly, DC comics just comes off as some cancer-ridden corporation. They have this lunatic in a position of authority, they had creative freedom over the Green Lantern movie and made an absolute turd of a script, and they have Superman dating Wonder Woman in the new 52 ... lol.

Comment

More from the great DiDio on twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎