Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

#9.05 "Bad Boys"

Just the title.

Forum Whiz
    I hope we get a some great Will Smith/Martin Lawrence quotes out of Dean in this one since he's the pop culture buff.

1000 More To Go!! Welling_is_pretty's Avatar
    When I read the title I thought "well now I'm going to have the theme from Cops stuck in my head the rest of the day!"

Forum Whiz
    I swear if one of them shoots the other in the ass I am going laugh for days.

Hrm.

Episode 9.05 of Supernatural has a character called Robin, who is now in her 30's and is now a waitress at a small diner. She remembers Dean from their adolescent romance from nearly 20 years ago.

Could a mod change this to be the 7th episode now? As with the other two episodes of "Dog Dean Afternoon" and "Heaven Can't Wait", this episode has been switched as well.

Interview with Carver on EW says we get insights into how Dean was not always about the hunting business in this ep. Apparently a big theme this season is to explore aspects of the boys personalities that we haven't seen before. Hence the "inside Sam's mind" in EP 9.01, Dean talking to Zeke, Sam talking to Dorothy.

Dean was not always into hunting, huh? I would like to see how that comes into play as it always felt like Dean was always about hunting ever since he was told to take care of little Sammy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
    I would like to see how that comes into play as it always felt like Dean was always about hunting ever since he was told to take care of little Sammy.
    I want to see how that plays out as well, since Dean always seemed like the one who was more gung ho about hunting (and finding the thing that killed his mother). Also wasn't there an episode where Dean talks about going on his first kill/hunt at around 16 or so? And that he'd been a hunter since then? The only thing I can think is we're going to see some of the missing 2 (or 4 depending on which way they go) years from when Sam was at Stanford. Maybe that is what they are talking about? Cause I can't really see any other time frame working...

It about adolescence, which is theoretically between 13 and 19. Although I figured it was on the younger side. Since Dean was older than 19 when Sam when to Stanford, I'm thinking it's hitting the younger side. I could definitely see it being BEFORE the time frame of the After School Special episode. Dean seemed to be both committed to the hunting life and fairly mature in his relationships (both the pink underwear incident and bendy Lisa were when he was 19). He was in the 12th grade in After School Special as well so I'm thinking 18 or 19 at best. Finally, we also know he dropped out of High School and had to get a GED so I'd be surprised if they covered anything after he had sort of established that "kick 'em in the ass" attitude.

With this in mind, the other two data adolescence data points are A Very Supernatural Christmas and The Girl Next Door. In the first Dean considers Dad a "superhero" and in the latter he's hunting with Dad and is 19 (it was 1998 and Dean is born in 1979) and Sam is 15. These two would likely "bookend" Dean's adolescence. I'm going to hazard a guess that the girl is from closer to A Very Supernatural Christmas. Dean was clearly Sam's daily caretaker and not hunting. Perhaps he still saw a non-hunting life for himself. I think it would be dramatically interesting if this "Bad Boys" episode is the one that really undermined Dean's self-esteem (as his pseudo girlfriend poked at in After School Special). I could see him taking solace in "the family business" if he felt like a freak that wasn't normal. Just spitballin' at the risk of creating misaligned expectations --- so I don't want to imply this is in fact the story line. But the title "Bad Boys" could be more about them being outcast freaks and judged external as "bad" rather than anything to do with the Will Smith/Martin Laurence movie.

So in sum... I think closer to the 13 year old portion of adolescence is what I'm thinking.
    Last edited by SVFancross; 10-18-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Well it dates back to 20 years or so ago too and Dean should be what now...34?(36 counting those two year leaps between S5/S6 and S7/S8). So yah, that sounds about right...that high school age, but even still...as I and Welling_is_pretty even said, it does seem odd that Dean had a change of heart so to speak on having doubts with that kind of lifestyle. For eight years, it has always felt like Dean was always into the life the very second he was aware of it, the direct opposite of Sam. At least it better make some sense, that's all. Maybe before Cassie, who was the first woman Dean opened up about the hunting life and what not, he was involved with that Robin girl and started to have feelings for her and realized that he couldn't be in a relationship with someone and for her to not know about his secret life. It could even bring up as to why Dean continued to tell Sam that he can never have a life with a girl and keep her in the dark about his past.

Quote Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
    as I and Welling_is_pretty even said, it does seem odd that Dean had a change of heart so to speak on having doubts with that kind of lifestyle. For eight years, it has always felt like Dean was always into the life the very second he was aware of it, the direct opposite of Sam.
    This. The first hint I remember ever getting that Dean was losing his lust for the hunting life was after Papa Winchester died. I mean, after that we started getting stuff like 'Croatoan' and Dean's speech to Sam. Before that he seemed all gung-ho about hunting. For him to have doubts as a child/teen? Seems a bit odd to me. But maybe he did go through a patch of wanting normal, like Sam, and then came back to the life? I guess we'll find out!

From a November sweeps press release:

YOUNG DEAN — Dean (Jensen Ackles) gets a call from an old friend named Sonny (guest star Blake Gibbons) asking for help with a ghost. Sonny runs a home for delinquent boys, and Dean was sent there for stealing food when he was younger. Sam (Jared Padalecki) is stunned he never knew this about his brother and asks for more information, but Dean dodges his questions.

Angst factor 12. I eat this up with a spoon.

Extended synopsis:

http://www.ksitetv.com/supernatural/...cription/25907

YOUNG DEAN - Dean (Jensen Ackles) gets a call from an old friend named Sonny (guest star Blake Gibbons) asking for help with a ghost. Sonny runs a home for delinquent boys, and Dean was sent there for stealing food when he was younger. Sam (Jared Padalecki) is stunned he never knew this about his brother and asks for more information, but Dean dodges his questions. Another murder occurs while Sam and Dean are at the house, so they scramble to find the culprit before anyone else dies. Meanwhile, Dean looks up an old girlfriend (guest star Erin Karpluk) and recalls his time at the house. Kevin Parks directed the episode written by Adam Glass (905).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast