Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Do I Start Watching?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just need two episodes to catch up; Series 7 Episode 12 and Episode 13.

Comment

Almost done with series 4. Just got to watch the specials that lead up to Tennant's last episodes.

Sometimes this show just hurts my brain! In "Journey's End", I didn't have a clue what was going on. Yet the charm of this show got me and I still enjoyed it.

BTW, do I need to watch all the 2009 specials or can I skip to "End of Time"?

Comment

Originally posted by super_j_man
        Almost done with series 4. Just got to watch the specials that lead up to Tennant's last episodes.

Sometimes this show just hurts my brain! In "Journey's End", I didn't have a clue what was going on. Yet the charm of this show got me and I still enjoyed it.

BTW, do I need to watch all the 2009 specials or can I skip to "End of Time"?
        The Next Doctor is pretty much a standalone story and could be skipped. The same could be said of Planet of the Dead, but there is are two lines uttered in the last five minutes that set-up the main plot of The End of Time. However, one of those lines is also referenced in The Waters of Mars, which I regard as a "must see" episode. Not only is it a cracking "base under siege" story, but you need to see it to understand the Doctor's initial behaviour in The End of Time...and I can't say any more than that ("Spoilers!").

Comment

Originally posted by newbaggy
          The Next Doctor is pretty much a standalone story and could be skipped. The same could be said of Planet of the Dead, but there is are two lines uttered in the last five minutes that set-up the main plot of The End of Time. However, one of those lines is also referenced in The Waters of Mars, which I regard as a "must see" episode. Not only is it a cracking "base under siege" story, but you need to see it to understand the Doctor's initial behaviour in The End of Time...and I can't say any more than that ("Spoilers!").

Alright thanks.

I did watch The Next Doctor, Waters of Mars and The End of Time. Planet of the Dead is not on Netflix so I never did get to see that.

I'm up to Matt Smith's first episode, The Eleventh Hour. Series 5 here I come!

Comment

Originally posted by super_j_man
            I did watch The Next Doctor, Waters of Mars and The End of Time. Planet of the Dead is not on Netflix so I never did get to see that. !
            All you missed from Planet of the Dead were the Doctor being told by a woman who appears to be mildly psychic that "Your song is ending soon..." "....it is returning..." and "...he will knock four times." As that episode was originally shown at Easter 2009, viewers had several months in which to wonder what those words meant before the truth was revealed the following Christmas/New Year.

Comment

Originally posted by newbaggy
              All you missed from Planet of the Dead were the Doctor being told by a woman who appears to be mildly psychic that "Your song is ending soon..." "....it is returning..." and "...he will knock four times." As that episode was originally shown at Easter 2009, viewers had several months in which to wonder what those words meant before the truth was revealed the following Christmas/New Year.
              Hmm...I wonder why it's not on Netflix though. Yeah I was a little confused about the "he will know four times" bit but I got it by the end of The End of Time.

Comment

I'm about halfway through series 5. I really enjoy Matt Smith as the doctor but I felt the stories were better under RTD than they were under Moffat (so far).

Comment

This might be the obvious thing to say but I'd start at the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Devil
                    This might be the obvious thing to say but I'd start at the beginning.
                    It's a matter of which beginning though. You can start at the beginning of the original series, if you feel like spending and months going through it all or you can start at the beginning of the re-boot.

Personally, I suggest anyone new to the series to start at the reboot as it isn't absolutely necessary to watch the original series though if you have watched the original series then you will have more back story to certain things which are shown throughout the series (The Master, Daleks etc.)

Comment

Just as the OP, I hadn't see the Doctor, but thanks to Netflix and the holiday break from work I started binging. For no reason I started with Season 3 (although I would ultimately recommend 1). Good choice in that I find Martha Jones SO beautiful!!!!. OK, Rose and Amy are very, very fine, too. Anyway, love the show. I have Season 7 on reserve, and when it arrives I'll get caught up. Now I understand....."are you my mummy?"

Comment

You can catch any episode and season of the classic series anytime you want, as well as Movie and Anime too, FreeLinks.TV. These days i am watching ravenswood, its moving bit slow so can you suggest any other good show.
                        Last edited by christy01; 02-14-2014, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipzo
                          It's a matter of which beginning though. You can start at the beginning of the original series, if you feel like spending and months going through it all or you can start at the beginning of the re-boot.

Personally, I suggest anyone new to the series to start at the reboot as it isn't absolutely necessary to watch the original series though if you have watched the original series then you will have more back story to certain things which are shown throughout the series (The Master, Daleks etc.)
                          There only one beginning. Unearthly child (1963). Any further and It's like getting a book, flicking to the middle of the page and you've missed the synopsis and half of the story. I'd advise any newbie to the Whoniverse is to start with William Hartnell at the birth of the series and you'll get a better understanding of what is the phenomena of Doctor Who is all about.
                          Last edited by Red Devil; 02-16-2014, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I'd say begin with the reboot from 2005. Rose was an excellent starting point for me. The contemporary setting should be a lure for people unfamiliar with older black and white television and the storytelling techniques that came with the time period.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                              I'd say begin with the reboot from 2005. Rose was an excellent starting point for me. The contemporary setting should be a lure for people unfamiliar with older black and white television and the storytelling techniques that came with the time period.
                              I agree if you want bell & whistles and explosions with the 2005 series re-boot do but if you want to have a better understand of how it started and it evolved watch 1962 onwards, and yes in glorious B&W. Oh yeah!

Comment

I am excited for this TV show and it’s great.... I like very much!!!
                                You’ll catch any Anime series, and movie anytime you want, as well as TV Show also with FreeLinks.TV

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎