Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Do I Start Watching?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

When does it air on PBS? I've been searching my local one here and they don't seem to air it?

Btw BBC America is reairing the Fox TV movie from 1996 tonight as The Doctors Revisited: The Eighth Doctor. It's a good time and I'd urge you to check it out. Ad thing is while the others were repeated right after they ended on Revisited they appear to only be airing this one once. Anyone know why that is?

Comment

I just started watching on Netflix and am through 6 episodes of Eccleston's run. I'm having a hard time getting into it. I've heard several people suggest that it gets better and you need to stick with it. Is there a specific turning point I should definitely wait for?

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
        I just started watching on Netflix and am through 6 episodes of Eccleston's run. I'm having a hard time getting into it. I've heard several people suggest that it gets better and you need to stick with it. Is there a specific turning point I should definitely wait for?
        Each season gets better than the last. For me, it got really good in the middle of Tennant's run.

Comment

Yeah, it does. I started it a few months ago. I am up to series 7. I am holding off seeing the series until right before the 50th anniversary special. With Netflix you tend to binge on several episodes at a time and than you crave more after you finish a show in a matter of weeks.

Comment

I've been on a 2-4 episodes per week pace. That could easily pick up if I start enjoying it. I remember ripping through Farscape and The X-Files pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
              That could easily pick up if I start enjoying it.
              How does the show feel now? I hope you're enjoying it.

Comment

I just started the 2nd half of series 7 (episode 6; The Doctor finds Clara in present-day London)....There's a new mystery; Who is Clara Oswin Oswald?

My first thought is that she could be River Song. The phrase that she kept saying, "Run, Clever Boy and Remember", sounds like a line River would say. But... the only thing with that is that River can no longer regenerate and if she could it would be a different person/persona after each death. So I really don't know. Its going to be fun to try to figure this mystery out.
                Last edited by darkphoenix21; 10-28-2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I was thinking of getting into this show they have the last seven seasons (2005-Present) on On Demand from Comcast and I don't know if I have enough time to get caught up since all the episodes will disappear after December 31st.

Comment

Originally posted by Halberdier17
                    I was thinking of getting into this show they have the last seven seasons (2005-Present) on On Demand from Comcast and I don't know if I have enough time to get caught up since all the episodes will disappear after December 31st.
                    Every doctor starts a new mythology. I'd say watch seasons 1 (9th doctor) and 2-4 (10th doctor) + the 2005 specials.

All in all that's the amount of 2 full american seasons.

Comment

I just finished watching Series 1 (Season 27) with the 9th Doctor; I can't find the 2005 specials so I guess I will to the next Season.

Comment

Originally posted by Halberdier17
                        I just finished watching Series 1 (Season 27) with the 9th Doctor; I can't find the 2005 specials so I guess I will to the next Season.
                        The specials are actually from 2009, not 2005. I'm not sure how Comcast have organised things, but I have heard that some on-demand providers have put-up the series, but skipped any specials. Just to clarify, here is the original running order:

Series 1 (2005 - Christopher Eccleston)

The Christmas Invasion (2005 Christmas Special - David Tennant's first episode)

Series 2 (2006)

The Runaway Bride (2006 Christmas Special)

Series 3 (2007)

Voyage of the Damned (2007 Christmas Special)

Series 4 (2008)

The Next Doctor (2008 Christmas Special)

Planet of the Dead, The Waters of Mars, The End of Time {Parts One and Two) (collectively known as "the 2009 specials" - no full season that year to allow David Tennant to play Hamlet for the Royal Shakespeare Company, and to ease handover to a new production team)

Series 5 (2010 - Matt Smith takes over as the Doctor)

A Christmas Carol (2010 Christmas Special)

Series 6 (2011)

The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe (2011 Christmas Special)

Series 7a (2012 - 5 spisodes)*

The Snowmen

Series 7b (2013 - 8 episodes)*

*The split series was officially to ease Steven Moffat's workload since he was executive producer/head writer on both Doctor Who and [/i]Sherlock[/i]. Saving money by spreading one series across two years might have been another motivations (budget cuts have been imposed across the BBC in recent years).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Okay thanks I just noticed tonight BBC America is having the Christmas Invasion and the Runaway Bride so I will probably DVR them tonight so I can watch them.

On Demand doesn't have the Christmas Specials but they have all the other episodes.

Comment

So I just finished series 1 on Netflix and so far watched 2 episodes of series 2.

My thoughts:

This show is quirky. Sometimes a little too quirky for me. Hell, as if my dreams weren't weird enough! But the show has a lot of heart I'll give it that. I didn't really start to get invested into it until the second half of series 1. One of my favorite episodes is when Rose meets her Dad. I really enjoyed Eccleston's run and felt he should've stayed on longer. Maybe it's only because i'm two episodes in but Tennant hasn't quite warmed up to me yet.

Despite it's quirkiness, I think the heart of the show is what's keeping me interested. Let's just see if I can enjoy Tennant as much as Eccleston.

Comment

I'm currently 4 episodes into series 6 and I really love the series so far.

Comment

Just finished series 3 and now onto series 4!! I really like Tennant, but he's a little too cartoonish. I think I will really like Smith. From clips I've seen he's done a really good job.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎