Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    1000 More To Go!! Welling_is_pretty's Avatar
    I have to admit, I'm not that thrilled with this idea. If it had been Kripke's idea for his spin-off (the adventures of Samuel Colt and hunters in the Old West era) maybe. But an 'urban' hunter? Not sure that's such a great idea. Still, trying to keep an open mind...

From Variety, the spin-off will explore "the clashing hunter and monster cultures in Chicago." Also, the backdoor pilot will introduce new character(s!) that will anchor the spin-off.

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/the-...ff-1200569355/

May I ask....

WHY?????

Lol, the idea doesn't seem necessary when we've seen eight seasons worth of a hunter/monster clash and it's throughout the country, not just one city. The only thing I can think would work is if it revolves around a certain alive Alpha who starts to infest one city with his children. Anything else just doesn't make any sense really to focus on a spin-off with one city dealing with monsters and hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Welling_is_pretty View Post
    I have to admit, I'm not that thrilled with this idea. If it had been Kripke's idea for his spin-off (the adventures of Samuel Colt and hunters in the Old West era) maybe. But an 'urban' hunter? Not sure that's such a great idea. Still, trying to keep an open mind...
    Oh man, this would've been so amazing. Kripke also mentioned that we would've seen an ancestor of Bobby Singer too.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/30/su...ural-spin-off/

Let’s just call this one Season Nine, Time for a Spin-off!

But as buzz continued to build about Supernatural’s upcoming spin-off executive producers Jeremy Carver and Robert Singer yesterday shared with EW some new info about the spin-off, which is currently scheduled to be introduced to viewers in episode 20 of the upcoming new season.

In the Chicago-set episode, Carver said we’ll be introduced to a show that would, if picked up by the network, “explore the clashing monster and human characters” living in the city. In fact, he said, “we’ll have main characters who are both human and monsters.” That will include, added Singer, “families of monsters and families of hunters.” “It’s much more of an ensemble than Supernatural,” Singer said.

Starting with a fresh slate of characters, Singer explained, felt like a non-traditional approach to a spin-off that also left room for Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) to introduce viewers into the world. “Most spin-offs, you spin characters out and create a show about them. Jared and Jensen will be in the spin-off, but it’s an entirely different cast of characters,” Singer said. “And unlike Supernatural – which is a road show — this will take place in one place with a wider cast of characters.”

And while news of the in-the-works Supernatural spin-off may have caught some fans of the long-running series by surprise, Carver said he had a feeling it would eventually become a topic of discussion. “I think any time a show goes this long — unless you’re Chicago Fire [which got a spin-off after one season] — then you’re always in the back of your mind going to be thinking the what-if scenario,” he said.

“It’s going to be quite a departure — the same world but from a whole new perspective,” Carver added.

Meanwhile, CW president Mark Pedowitz said on Tuesday morning that the spin-off is in no way an indication of an upcoming end-date for the mother series. “As long as they keep telling great stories and Jared and Jensen still want to do it, why wouldn’t you continue?” he said.
    I still find this to be a bad idea and such at a random time to introduce this spin-off idea nine seasons in. It would be fine if Sam and Dean reached Chicago early on to see this cultural clash, but in season nine? It doesn't make any sense. And for it to also just be hunters and monsters. At least move the Alpha Vamp into the spin-off which makes way for why there could be so many monsters at one place now.
    Last edited by Anno_Domini; 07-30-2013 at 10:24 AM.

This "spin-off" is being piloted in episode 20, which means it must have something to do with the general arc of Season 9 or perhaps leading up to the theme of Season 10?? Otherwise, it's just a one-off right before the season finale. I know they have done one-offs close to seasons' end before, but this kind of really seems out there.....

Maybe it's just me, but Jared seems to be more in the forefront in both discussing seasons beyond 10 as well as discussing the spin-off. Jensen actually hit his head on the table at Comic Con in response to Jared's mentioning about seasons beyond the expected, and contracted, 10. Not sure what to make of that. And now with Mark Pedowitz basically giving the green light to infinity and beyond, I can't help but wonder if Jared is going to be involved in the spin-off somehow....

I am sure the buzz will be buzzing about this spin-off probably a wee bit more than Season 9....

I am holding onto my opinions about this spin-off until I see the pilot.

Forum Whiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/30/su...ural-spin-off/

I still find this to be a bad idea and such at a random time to introduce this spin-off idea nine seasons in. It would be fine if Sam and Dean reached Chicago early on to see this cultural clash, but in season nine? It doesn't make any sense. And for it to also just be hunters and monsters. At least move the Alpha Vamp into the spin-off which makes way for why there could be so many monsters at one place now.

It is kind of random. It definitely would have been more appropriate in Season 5 when the show was originally slated to end. It perhaps could have come about through the destruction of Chicago by Death's hand. However I think I would much rather see this than the show go 15 seasons. So there is perhaps a little bit of perspective.

You bring up season five when Death was going to wipe out Chicago...if Supernatural is leading up to a possible The End-esque ending for everyone, then what if what happens in Chicago now is that monsters run off to one specific place while the world is being over runned with more and more demons, and Leviathans and now angels.

Forum Whiz
    You bring up season five when Death was going to wipe out Chicago...if Supernatural is leading up to a possible The End-esque ending for everyone, then what if what happens in Chicago now is that monsters run off to one specific place while the world is being over runned with more and more demons, and Leviathans and now angels.

The monster does seem to be a bit of an endangered species as time goes on especially with the all the Alphas being obliterated. Perhaps the idea is seeing Hunter and Monster work together against these threats you mention because alone they can't defeat them all.

1000 More To Go!! Welling_is_pretty's Avatar
    Kripke also mentioned that we would've seen an ancestor of Bobby Singer too.
    Really? That would have been pretty cool. I've often wondered if that woman who helped Dean and Elliot Ness back in the 40's was an ancestor of Bobby's (she seemed very 'Bobby-ish' to me). And the hunter in the Old West could have been a Campbell (and now there could have been a Men of Letters thing thrown in as well!).

It could actually BE the Elliot Ness era and specifically that exact plot. That time had a lot of different groups of people....the gangsters (monsters) and FBI (hunters) with a few other smaller groups sprinkled in. This could actually be the back story for the MoL and hunters as I am not sure that Supernatural can tackle that as an arc of its own. They will be dealing with the present-day demons and angels. The pilot/new show being a prequel so to speak....

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSheltie View Post
    It could actually BE the Elliot Ness era and specifically that exact plot. That time had a lot of different groups of people....the gangsters (monsters) and FBI (hunters) with a few other smaller groups sprinkled in. This could actually be the back story for the MoL and hunters as I am not sure that Supernatural can tackle that as an arc of its own. They will be dealing with the present-day demons and angels. The pilot/new show being a prequel so to speak....
    If ONLY. I would watch this version of a spinoff. The Men of Letters is something that has so much potential and would be really interesting to explore as a story. And I loved Elliot Ness and that entire episode.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that they'll probably go for something modern so they can stick with their trademark pop soundtrack and have characters wearing the latest fashion trends etc, etc.

I think that a spinoff from a different perspective could be very interesting but I don't have much faith in them handling it well. I'm hoping I'm wrong because it would be nice to have a spinoff that was enjoyable to watch.

Forum Whiz
    If it was going to be a different era I am sure we would have been told that.

Quote Originally Posted by waynedeath1047 View Post
    The monster does seem to be a bit of an endangered species as time goes on especially with the all the Alphas being obliterated. Perhaps the idea is seeing Hunter and Monster work together against these threats you mention because alone they can't defeat them all.
    I think that would make the most sense...an alternate outcome of what we see in "The End", which ironically was an alternate future where instead of Chicago being wiped out which was planned since that's what Death was going to do, it ends up being a piece of territory that monsters and hunters both inhabit. Also, instead of angels leaving Castiel, angels are stuck on Earth while Castiel is now human. Some stuff can stick, such as Bobby would stay dead(from what seems to be the case) and I have no clue what'll happen with Sam and Dean by series end. That's so hard to predict these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Welling_is_pretty View Post
    Really? That would have been pretty cool. I've often wondered if that woman who helped Dean and Elliot Ness back in the 40's was an ancestor of Bobby's (she seemed very 'Bobby-ish' to me). And the hunter in the Old West could have been a Campbell (and now there could have been a Men of Letters thing thrown in as well!).
    I know I heard that once during the talk of the Samuel Colt spin-off idea; to say it was going to happen with the spin-off is another thing, but I definitely know there was talks of someone in Singer's family in the Old West days that would've been with Colt.

What hunter in the Old West do you mean? Are you referring to someone that was in "Frontierland"?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSheltie View Post
    That would be great, but as someone else said, I think a time period would have been mentioned already if the spin-off dealt with something from the past.

Forum Whiz
    More details emerge:

Details have emerged about the "Supernatural" spinoff that The CW has in the works, and it looks like fans of the long-running series could be seeing it pretty soon.

At the Television Critics Association Summer 2013 press tour, The CW president Mark Pedowitz said the "Supernatural" spinoff would be set in Chicago and will be planted in the show's upcoming ninth season.

Executive producers Jeremy Carver and Robert Singer told Entertainment Weekly earlier this week that the "Supernatural" spinoff is currently scheduled to be introduced to viewers as Season 9, Episode 20. Carver told EW that if The CW picks it up, the show will “explore the clashing monster and human characters," and "have main characters who are both human and monsters.” That will include,“families of monsters and families of hunters," Singer added, pointing out that the spinoff is "much more of an ensemble than 'Supernatural.'"

Though Pedowitz said that he didn't think there are "any plans for [regular] characters on 'Supernatural'" to be on the spinoff, the EPs told EW that the show's stars Jared Padelecki and Jensen Ackles will be a part of the Chicago-set spinoff. “Most spinoffs, you spin characters out and create a show about them. Jared and Jensen will be in the spinoff, but it’s an entirely different cast of characters,” Singer said. Will some of those characters be female? "Hopefully, depends how they craft the show," Pedowitz noted at TCA.

As for "Supernatural," The CW's current longest-running series, Pedowitz said he sees the show continuing to a Season 10 and perhaps beyond. "I would love 'Supernatural' to continue for as long as they can continue, as long as they have great stories to tell," Pedowitz said at the TCAs. "From what I've read, Jeremy Carver is writing arcs that could go longer. As long as fans are there and ratings are there, there's no reason it couldn't continue ... If they can still tell great stories and Jared and Jensen still want to do it, why wouldn't you continue?

It's kind of strange. One outlet is saying Sam and Dean will be in it. Another is saying they wont.
    Last edited by waynedeath1047; 08-01-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast