No announcement yet.

Man of Steel Clark/Lois Relationship Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gem and Gemma

The kissing scene, which is explicitly defining their relationship as romantic, was awkward and awkwardly delivered by the actors who didn't appear to be all that invested in a moment that completely contrasts the tone of the scene and the environment in which they stood upon kissing. The awful dialog and delivery doesn't help either. Lois and Superman as allies was working for me until Goyer and co. continued to foist the usual "Lois/Clark" themeatics into their relationship because it was expected of them given their status quo in the comics, not that it was a natural progression of their relationship. The kiss was out place and most all, it was unnearned in a relationship based more or less gratitude, but with no any real familiarity of one another. Also anything a movie can't be arsed to address in its actual context and requires the audience to go buy a tie in with dubious canon, is automatically thrown into the ring of irrelevancy.
    I couldn't disagree more with this viewpoint. You are completely disregarding everything that happened before with Clark and Lois and labeling that kiss with something that it was not, at least in my eyes. Romantic. We'll get romance in the sequel.

I'll quote myself from the other thread:

...the chemistry is definitely sexual in nature, not really romantic. In those few brief scenes that they share together the heat between the actors is obvious, and I don't mean the fire coming out of Superman's eyes. That Kiss in the end was a release of tension and stress. You just see it on their faces, if they could of done it then and there they would have.
    Also, I personally did not see anything wrong with Henry's and Amy's acting or their chemistry. The kiss was nothing but raw and powerful but most of all sexual display of passion for each other.

I realize that perceiving on screen chemistry is different for each and every one of us, so we'll probably agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin
      I have a feeling I'm all alone on this one, but I would love to see a Superman movie WITHOUT Lois Lane.
      To me Superman without Lois Lane would be like ice cream without sugar. Just unthinkable.
      Sugar is an inalienable part of Ice cream... just like Lois is an integral part of Superman's History.

I think it's pretty important for Superman to have an independent and strong human woman by his side. It's his anchor to earth particularly when times get tough.
      Last edited by Kalebasse; 07-03-2013, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
        Personnally I'd love to see a Superman movie where Superman wouldn't need to save Lois once. Lois should be able to handle on her own.

It would have been so cool if Man of Steel had a fight scene between Faora and army brat Lois. Of course the movie would have had to introduce a kryptonite element to even the odds.
        Yep. Agree.
        It was missing in the movie. I want to see Lois kicking ass in the sequel for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kindoalkun
          My God, those are two good-looking people. Probably Kal's first kiss, too LOL.
          Lol but i don't feel it's Clark first kiss tough.
          I definitely see this Clark Kent having already undressed a few women.
          And that girl at the café who was smiling at him looked like she was into him and it's not impossible imo that they did have an affair or at least flirted.

But he clearly was breathless when he and Lois kissed; it was like he was ready to superspeed her away in a bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
            The biggest plot hole in the movie is the fact that Lois Lane is single.

Simply not realistic :-)
            Why?

Comment

Lois & Clark, the 1990s tv show, is one of the most popular incarnations ever. It reached 20 million viewers.

20 million viewers. Lois was the primary character.

You can't make a superman story for the mass market without Lois Lane.

Comment

Lois & Clark, the 1990s tv show, is one of the most popular incarnations ever. It reached 20 million viewers.

20 million viewers. Lois was the primary character.

You can't make a superman story for the mass market without Lois Lane.
                No shes' saying why is it not realistic for Lois to be single? Maybe she doesn't have much time to date seeing as the kind of job she's in.

Comment

Originally posted by CKent/KalEl
                  I couldn't disagree more with this viewpoint. You are completely disregarding everything that happened before with Clark and Lois and labeling that kiss with something that it was not, at least in my eyes. Romantic. We'll get romance in the sequel.

Also, I personally did not see anything wrong with Henry's and Amy's acting or their chemistry. The kiss was nothing but raw and powerful but most of all sexual display of passion for each other.

I realize that perceiving on screen chemistry is different for each and every one of us, so we'll probably agree to disagree.
                  I'm with you on all that man. Completely agree but I guess chemistry and beauty is all in the eyes of the beholder.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                    No shes' saying why is it not realistic for Lois to be single? Maybe she doesn't have much time to date seeing as the kind of job she's in.
                    It was not a serious comment.

It referred to the joke men sometimes make that a woman can be sexy, single, smart... But never all three. That's not really true of course , but Amy Adams did come off smoking hot and really sharp in the movie.

Comment

The biggest plot hole in the movie is the fact that Lois Lane is single.

Simply not realistic :-)
                      You are SO right! LMFAO

Comment

Originally posted by Kindoalkun
                        My God, those are two good-looking people. Probably Kal's first kiss, too LOL.
                        Considering Snyder states that Clark "Isn't a Virgin" in the Man of Steel Universe, Lois isn't his first kiss. He's done the deal before.

No, yeah, this is definitely an instance of agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Rianna
                          Couldn't disagree more. Lois wasn't a last minute addition or felt like one, she was the character Snyder and Goyer were looking for to cast after casting Henry, they've said this multiple times, they had already structured the movie to give her the presence and importance she had. The movie has divided the critics and the fanbase, taking Lois away might have made it unbearable and I'm sure, might have made it more 'hated' by critics, one of the biggest criticism and comments from people are the ones concerning the final moments, everybody was left wanting more of what we got during the final scene with Lois, Perry, Clark and the Daily Planet. Even you said it was the only moment that made you smile. So, for the hater that wanted a movie without Lois Lane, well, you can see how much damage that would have done.

I don't get the underdeveloped relationship accusations either. By the end of the film they're not getting engaged, or marrying, it's just a kiss!

MOS is obviously mostly Clark's journey, but they also worked more on building a solid foundation from which to then build into a romance in the sequel. Their relationship was built on trust and respect.

This wasn't love at first sight, first we see Lois 'hunting' Joe/Clark, months are passing and you can develop quite a strong respect for someone just like Lois did for Clark hearing all his heroic stories, then Clark says it himself "I'm not sure if I can trust humans either" he knows everybody is on the hunt for Kal-El, and he's afraid Lois is gonna talk, but when Lois abandones what she considers the biggest story of humanity (according to the MoS novelization) for him and doesn't say a word to the military when she's arrested Clark knows he can trust her, he says it himself "it made a difference to me". That is what I saw in their relationship in this movie, a strong sense of trust and respect for one another. It's only towards the end that it starts turning into a romantic connection, but the kiss was mostly a spur of the moment due to all the overwhelming emotions for both of them. Again, they're not in a relationship yet.

Very well said. I completely agree with you both.

Originally posted by Gem and Gemma
                          You're free to disagree, as is your right. But, first and foremost, you really need to drop the "Hater" line when referencing me. I really does you no favors in general discourse. I didn't hate the movie and I've never said I've hated the movie. I am critical of the movie and critical does not equal nor ever will amount to "hate". Furthermore, whether or not they cast Adams/Lois in the film directly after casting Cavil/Superman, holds little to no bearing on how poorly the character was utilized. Like I stated, Lois' position in the structure of the film more or less suggests removing her meant the film wouldn't have suffered any more than it did as result of its awful pacing and script structure. The same can be said characters like Perry White, Jenny Olsen and that random ticket guy. Lois showing up at the end movie only and repeating that line to Clark still would've made me smile. It's probably the only clever bit of dialog in the film outside of Zod's "...And I'm arguing its merits with a ghost." It certainly had nothing to do with my investment in the character.

You also seem to be deliberately misinterpreting my opinion of their underdeveloped relationship as well and the use of the word itself. "Relationship" is not strictly defined or exclusive to the romantic, it is. I also never asked or desired that they get engaged or married. I said their relationship in the romantic sense as displayed by the movie never clicked because the characters status never went above platonic. They romantic, they want the mere hint of it? Put in the sequel, don't place it in a movie wherein it has no place, period.

The kissing scene, which is explicitly defining their relationship as romantic, was awkward and awkwardly delivered by the actors who didn't appear to be all that invested in a moment that completely contrasts the tone of the scene and the environment in which they stood upon kissing. The awful dialog and delivery doesn't help either. Lois and Superman as allies was working for me until Goyer and co. continued to foist the usual "Lois/Clark" themeatics into their relationship because it was expected of them given their status quo in the comics, not that it was a natural progression of their relationship. The kiss was out place and most all, it was unnearned in a relationship based more or less gratitude, but with no any real familiarity of one another. Also anything a movie can't be arsed to address in its actual context and requires the audience to go buy a tie in with dubious canon, is automatically thrown into the ring of irrelevancy.
                          I am beginning to think that you and I watched two completely different films, because what I saw is diametrically oppposed to what you described. The progression of their relationship felt very natural to me, considering of course that this is a 2-hours movie and that romance wasn't the focus. In fact, I was actually pleasantly surprised of how well the development of their relationship flowed and how well the kissed worked. I am very happy with what we got in regards to Clark and Lois, and I can't wait to see where they take it in the sequel.

Comment

I really liked the innovation of having lois know the truth right from the beginning. It puts their relationship on more solid ground , than either of smallville, Lois and Clark, stas, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                              Lois Lane is integral to a story in every way not just as a love interest. Also see BG's first point.

You said you hate Lois Lane earlier so your maybe not wanting out her out for storyline maybe more because of personal taste.
                              I thought the new comic books were reducing her role considerably? And I'm more interested in Superman than I am in Lois Lane or his relationship with her, this preference goes way back even before I started hating the character. The fact that they are a package is what has kept Superman firmly in #2 spot for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin
                                I thought the new comic books were reducing her role considerably? And I'm more interested in Superman than I am in Lois Lane or his relationship with her, this preference goes way back even before I started hating the character.
                                All the Superman books are failing they're recording low numbers. Every single one of them Action Comics started great went downhill, his self titled book is horrible written by a guy called Scott Lobdell. He's a douche in that book. Unchained just launched and we now have Batman/Superman. About how they met for the first time. Superman Unchained just launched Scott Snyder says Lois will have a key role.

Yeah you maybe interested in Supes and so am I but Lois is a key in the story forget anything as a love interest but as an overall story she is key. Also the way MOS finished we will be getting more Clark Kent and more Lois in the sequel. More Daily Planet scene's, Lois keeping his secret etc. The producers all said Lois will play a key role in the future.

I'll post a gif set to get away from the doom and gloom.

Last edited by maasaloo; 07-03-2013, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎