No announcement yet.

The Chloe/Oliver Relationship Thread #14

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...Annnnnd they're back!

Am very much wanting to see Ollie and Steve Trevor drawn by a different artist. Am wondering if their twin-ness is a tic of this artist's style or if it is deliberate in some way. Just seems weird to have two characters in the same scene, or the same story for that reason, who're distinguishable only by their clothes.

Am also wondering about [SPOILER]the ship over D.C.[/SPOILER] I've only been buying the Chlollie issues, but I haven't seen anything about it in the other reviews I've read. However, it sounded as if it didn't just appear. Assuming this will figure into Chlollie's next plot somehow?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingHigh
      Am also wondering about [SPOILER]the ship over D.C.[/SPOILER] I've only been buying the Chlollie issues, but I haven't seen anything about it in the other reviews I've read. However, it sounded as if it didn't just appear. Assuming this will figure into Chlollie's next plot somehow?
      In Chaos, Lois from "Earth-Majestic" told Lois and Clark how it (the Crisis?) started in her universe. I quote "One ship on each side of the Planet. They did something to Earth's core, and then started joining in from above other cities.... They are doing this in every major city. They hit D.C and Australia first... did something beneath the crust. Always in pairs, from opposing sides. Pair. After pair. City after city..."

The DEO and Chloe and Oliver don't know that much but I guess they are just being logical.

[SPOILER]And how this ship appeared, I'm not sure, but in this last chapter, I think we see ships through the Bleed when Lois and Clark escape.[/SPOILER]
      Last edited by Neverending Story; 08-23-2014, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neverending Story
        In Chaos, Lois from "Earth-Majestic" told Lois and Clark how it (the Crisis?) started in her universe. I quote "One ship on each side of the Planet. They did something to Earth's core, and then started joining in from above other cities.... They are doing this in every major city. They hit D.C and Australia first... did something beneath the crust. Always in pairs, from opposing sides. Pair. After pair. City after city..."

The DEO and Chloe and Oliver don't know that much but I guess they are just being logical.

[SPOILER]And how this ship appeared, I'm not sure, but in this last chapter, I think we see ships through the Bleed when Lois and Clark escape.[/SPOILER]
        That makes sense. [SPOILER]Stopping something from drilling through to the Earth's Core doesn't necessarily seem like a Chlollie-shaped problem, though. Hmm.[/SPOILER]

Thanks for the background! When I'm feeling less cheap I will need to go back and fill in the gaps...

Comment

• So let's talk Continuity. Specifically, Chloe's clothing continuity, because I am perplexed. In Chaos #2, she's got a green crew-neck shirt on, which is replaced by a green V-neck by Chaos #12, and has now changed into an off-the-shoulder number that might possibly be suitable for breast feeding. Question: is she now taking alterations breaks during the action to relieve stress, or did she just bring several changes of clothes with her to the DEO, possibly in whatever case they lugged the Green Arrow gear in?

Also, I've discovered that Steve and Ollie part their hair on opposite sides of their heads. Possibly something to tuck away for future reference.

In other news, I dislike Chloe's (and for that matter, Steve's and Lois') negativity about their chances. Since when has Chloe ever not believed in the hero's ability to prevail? I'll give 'em a pass this time since it was a conversation they repeated three times with three different characters, as if to make a point, but I expect an explanation.

Comment

• I'll answer that If I many.

What's coming is the greatest threat the DC universe ever had. Which is the Anti Monitors destroying evrey single reality one by one. So that's a pretty scary thought and considering they had Darkseid's Apokolips not so long ago I can see why they are a little pessimistic.

Comment

• I think it's a combnation of things:

It's one way to get across how potentially bad/dangerous the Crisis really is. They already know Earth 2 was completely destroyed due to E2's Chloe/Chloe memories.

It's a continuing theme for Chloe and Ollie. Having to grow up without parents (to a certain degree for Chloe) they've been doing everything they can to keep themselves and their baby safe. Honestly, when has any really important day for Chloe not been messed up by one thing or another?

Setting up their impending doom emphasizes how much the word really needs SM and the rest of the League.

As for the clothes, she's a Queen now, so why bother packing when she can buy anything she wants, anytime she wants! I just chalk it up to the same ole, same ole when it comes to Chloe's clothing issues.

Comment

• Credit : drasvaska

Comment

• Originally posted by maasaloo
                  I'll answer that If I many.

What's coming is the greatest threat the DC universe ever had. Which is the Anti Monitors destroying evrey single reality one by one. So that's a pretty scary thought and considering they had Darkseid's Apokolips not so long ago I can see why they are a little pessimistic.
                  Originally posted by AChloeChick
                  I think it's a combnation of things:

It's one way to get across how potentially bad/dangerous the Crisis really is. They already know Earth 2 was completely destroyed due to E2's Chloe/Chloe memories.

Setting up their impending doom emphasizes how much the word really needs SM and the rest of the League.
                  Yes, I can see where BQM might want to use two people who know exactly how bad it has gotten in the past to tell us exactly how much worse it is now. But. (You knew that was coming, right? ) Without going too far off the topic of the thread, pessimism isn't Chloe's m.o. (Nor do I think of it as Lois'. Steve, I don't know.). She has said "You can do better," to her heroes and she has said, "You're not thinking this through", but to my recollection she's never said "There is no solution". That there has always been SOMETHING that she thought could be done is at the root of a lot of her more questionable behavior, imo (and frequently Ollie has had to tell her "This is dumb, you can do better" when she gets up to shenanigans; I guess it's something they do for each other). That she would give up all hope might be a good way to emphasize how dire the situation is, or it might make it seem as if she'd been possessed by Brainiac again, metaphorically speaking. And while I appreciate the point that situations like these are why the world needs Superman and the League, the way the three conversations were laid out, it made it seem as if there was a line defining members of the League (Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow) as leaders who bring hope, the saviors, and their conversation partners as those who need to receive hope - those who need to be saved. And that would be fine if it were, say, a Secret Service agent or random DEO desk jockey who happened to be on the scene and in the know, saying "We're doomed!", but it wasn't. It was Chloe saying it to Ollie, and as I've said, that is not who Chloe is and that's not what I think Chlollie is, either. They've lived together through several narrowly averted species-extinction and planet-extinction events now, and they save each other.

Which is to say, I'm hoping this is a one-off for the sake of emphasis and not the first of a pattern BQM intends to repeat.

Originally posted by Neverending Story

Credit : drasvaska
                  This is lovely. Their expressions say it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingHigh
                    Yes, I can see where BQM might want to use two people who know exactly how bad it has gotten in the past to tell us exactly how much worse it is now. But. (You knew that was coming, right? ) Without going too far off the topic of the thread, pessimism isn't Chloe's m.o. (Nor do I think of it as Lois'. Steve, I don't know.). She has said "You can do better," to her heroes and she has said, "You're not thinking this through", but to my recollection she's never said "There is no solution". That there has always been SOMETHING that she thought could be done is at the root of a lot of her more questionable behavior, imo (and frequently Ollie has had to tell her "This is dumb, you can do better" when she gets up to shenanigans; I guess it's something they do for each other). That she would give up all hope might be a good way to emphasize how dire the situation is, or it might make it seem as if she'd been possessed by Brainiac again, metaphorically speaking. And while I appreciate the point that situations like these are why the world needs Superman and the League, the way the three conversations were laid out, it made it seem as if there was a line defining members of the League (Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow) as leaders who bring hope, the saviors, and their conversation partners as those who need to receive hope - those who need to be saved. And that would be fine if it were, say, a Secret Service agent or random DEO desk jockey who happened to be on the scene and in the know, saying "We're doomed!", but it wasn't. It was Chloe saying it to Ollie, and as I've said, that is not who Chloe is and that's not what I think Chlollie is, either. They've lived together through several narrowly averted species-extinction and planet-extinction events now, and they save each other.

Which is to say, I'm hoping this is a one-off for the sake of emphasis and not the first of a pattern BQM intends to repeat.
                    I think that during the middle seasons of the show that she was optimistic because Clark was there, powers and all, and she was his sidekick, trying to encourage him.
                    Then, came season 8 and 9. After everything that happened during season 8, all the suffering and the fact that she and Clark started to disagree. She became more cynical. And less optimistic, IMO. The nightmare she had in "Beast", when she saw Clark dead by Doomsday, for example. Then, after that, in Doomsdsay, she was still optimistic until Clark told her he was leaving. She didn't give up on the team but she started to be controlling and cynical.
                    She wasn't that optimistic at the end of Pandora and so she started PLANNING things with the weapons. She panicked in Salvation until Oliver told her that he PLANNED things and had a satellite for them already.
                    I think she was optimistic in season 10 because most of the things that happened at the time were things she had already saw via the Fate's helmet. So, it was part of a big plan.

I just think that Chloe's optimism comes from the fact she is prepared and have a plan, since season 9. Not saying that she isn't optimistic by nature anymore, I think it's still in her somehow, but in the big situations, I think her "control-freak" tendencies are more apparent. And when I say, control-freak, I don't say this as a bad thing or an insult. Having a plan (and back-up plans) is always good when you are part of the superhero world. Not being perfect and having flaws is good too, for a character.
                    Plus, since the end of season 9, she is feeling better and happier in life, but people don't heal in one day. It's a process.

Now in "Continuity", they don't know if Clark came back to their world yet and nobody seems to have a plan to stop all of this. They are not prepared. So, I guess, that's why she feels pessimistic.
                    Though again, their scene finishes with Oliver saying that he has maybe a plan to escape, for now. Tho, they are not sure if that'll work. Still, having sort of a plan is still a glimmer of hope. Like you said, Chloe and/or Oliver (depending of the situation) trying to figure out a plan/solution is usually how they roll.

This is lovely. Their expressions say it all.
                    I love the lyrics too.
                    Last edited by Neverending Story; 09-04-2014, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• Gorgeous Chlollie, thanks for sharing!

Now that Clark [and Lois] is back, I suppose the no-hope-for-the-human-race mentality will magically disappear!

Although I totally get what you're both saying, I have to wonder how much Chloe's role in the comic verses her role on the show has altered things. In the show she was Clark's BFF, confidante, sidekick, take-no-prisoners reporter turned WT, etc. Basically, Chloe served as the eyes for the show (this has been said several times by those directly associated with the show) and a HUGE part of Clark and his journey.

Whereas in the comic, she's not really any of these things (we're told she's a freelance reporter, not really shown). IDK, to me, she's at the action instead of in the action (which really undoes her epiphany in Hex that propelled her to becoming WT). By taking her out of all of these things, you're most likely not going to get the kick-butt-we-can-do-this-no-matter-how-dire-the-situation Chloe you knew and loved for years.

Am I making any sense?

Much of TV Chloe's role has been divided among three people: Her, Lois, and Tess. I'd say everything Chlollie related is there, but that's not completely true. There's no way those two would go this long without plenty of lip to lip kisses!

Sadly, Chlark is practically non-existent (got used to that sans S9/10)! Even more sadly -- all things WT has been given over to Tess. The first is disappointing, but the second . . . It breaks my heart and always will.

Sigh, no more Chloe as WT and no more GAWT!

Although I LOVE having Chloe/Ollie/Chlollie, it feels like something(s) is missing.

Maybe it's just me!

By no means am I saying nor implying this Chloe isn't the real Chloe or a watered-down version of her like the one DC attempted several years ago. This is the real Chloe, but much of her role has changed.
                      Last edited by AChloeChick; 09-06-2014, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neverending Story
                        I think that during the middle seasons of the show that she was optimistic because Clark was there, powers and all, and she was his sidekick, trying to encourage him.
                        Then, came season 8 and 9. After everything that happened during season 8, all the suffering and the fact that she and Clark started to disagree. She became more cynical. And less optimistic, IMO. The nightmare she had in "Beast", when she saw Clark dead by Doomsday, for example. Then, after that, in Doomsdsay, she was still optimistic until Clark told her he was leaving. She didn't give up on the team but she started to be controlling and cynical.
                        She wasn't that optimistic at the end of Pandora and so she started PLANNING things with the weapons. She panicked in Salvation until Oliver told her that he PLANNED things and had a satellite for them already.
                        I think she was optimistic in season 10 because most of the things that happened at the time were things she had already saw via the Fate's helmet. So, it was part of a big plan.

I just think that Chloe's optimism comes from the fact she is prepared and have a plan, since season 9. Not saying that she isn't optimistic by nature anymore, I think it's still in her somehow, but in the big situations, I think her "control-freak" tendencies are more apparent. And when I say, control-freak, I don't say this as a bad thing or an insult. Having a plan (and back-up plans) is always good when you are part of the superhero world. Not being perfect and having flaws is good too, for a character.
                        Plus, since the end of season 9, she is feeling better and happier in life, but people don't heal in one day. It's a process.

Now in "Continuity", they don't know if Clark came back to their world yet and nobody seems to have a plan to stop all of this. They are not prepared. So, I guess, that's why she feels pessimistic.
                        Though again, their scene finishes with Oliver saying that he has maybe a plan to escape, for now. Tho, they are not sure if that'll work. Still, having sort of a plan is still a glimmer of hope. Like you said, Chloe and/or Oliver (depending of the situation) trying to figure out a plan/solution is usually how they roll.

I love the lyrics too.
                        Good point about the PLANNING; that is exactly how I saw her in S9&10 too. And it looks as if Ollie's plan from the last issue worked; wonder if they are going to continue to use the boom tube to fight the blue bleed?

Originally posted by AChloeChick
                        Gorgeous Chlollie, thanks for sharing!

Now that Clark [and Lois] is back, I suppose the no-hope-for-the-human-race mentality will magically disappear!

Although I totally get what you're both saying, I have to wonder how much Chloe's role in the comic verses her role on the show has altered things. In the show she was Clark's BFF, confidante, sidekick, take-no-prisoners reporter turned WT, etc. Basically, Chloe served as the eyes for the show (this has been said several times by those directly associated with the show) and a HUGE part of Clark and his journey.

Whereas in the comic, she's not really any of these things (we're told she's a freelance reporter, not really shown). IDK, to me, she's at the action instead of in the action (which really undoes her epiphany in Hex that propelled her to becoming WT). By taking her out of all of these things, you're most likely not going to get the kick-butt-we-can-do-this-no-matter-how-dire-the-situation Chloe you knew and loved for years.

Am I making any sense?

Much of TV Chloe's role has been divided among three people: Her, Lois, and Tess. I'd say everything Chlollie related is there, but that's not completely true. There's no way those two would go this long without plenty of lip to lip kisses!

Sadly, Chlark is practically non-existent (got used to that sans S9/10)! Even more sadly -- all things WT has been given over to Tess. The first is disappointing, but the second . . . It breaks my heart and always will.

Sigh, no more Chloe as WT and no more GAWT!

Although I LOVE having Chloe/Ollie/Chlollie, it feels like something(s) is missing.

Maybe it's just me!

By no means am I saying nor implying this Chloe isn't the real Chloe or a watered-down version of her like the one DC attempted several years ago. This is the real Chloe, but much of her role has changed.
                        ACC, I think you may be right, in the sense that with a limited page count and an almost unlimited cast, finding a specific role for a non-powered character might be a challenge (hence the pregnancy, maybe?) I still don't think that excuses him writing her as completely out of character as she was in that scene, though. Her determination is who she is as a character; it's not a by-product of a relationship.

As far as a kiss goes, I give up. If Steve and Diana get one, I have no good idea why Cloe and Oliver can't share one (or should I say, any idea that's complimentary toward BQM and DC).

(My auto-correct just tried to change "toward" to "coward". Just putting that out there.)

ETA: Thinking a little bit more of the lack of a kiss and possible character restrictions, have we seen Black Canary at all since Ollie returned? I just checked the Watchtower scene again and I don't see her there, and the hero Ollie seems to team up with the most is Diana, even from before he was yanked and brought back. Just wondering Smallville is prohibited from using her, which approvals throw some more weight on the side of scale that says Ollie's portrayal has been somewhat limited as well.
                        Last edited by FlyingHigh; 09-07-2014, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Nearly a month since the last post, wow!

So, no Ollie on the cover with the others; no Chloe in the comic with the other female League members in this week's digital.

Hmm!

I think I've finally been able to figure out what's missing with Chlollie, other than them being taken away by DC only to resurface later. No doubt the affection is still there and they clearly love and adore each other.

Where is the passion? There's passion between Clois and Diana/Steven, but Chlollie . . . where the heck is it?

Not only for Chlollie, but for Chloe in the overall comic. Before the comic hit the digitals/stands, BQM said we'd be able to know how he feels about a character from his writing.

After two years, his writing has been telling me what he thinks/how he feels about each character, as well as the relationahips.

Sure, I could be missing something or misconstruing what I'm seeing or not seeing. I dont know!

I do know though, there is a huge difference between affection and passion. There is a great affection for Chloe and Chlollie in this comic, but the passion . . . where is the passion?
                          Last edited by AChloeChick; 10-04-2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AChloeChick
                            Nearly a month since the last post, wow!

So, no Ollie on the cover with the others; no Chloe in the comic with the other female League members in this week's digital.

Hmm!

I think I've finally been able to figure out what's missing with Chlollie, other than them being taken away by DC only to resurface later. No doubt the affection is still there and they clearly love and adore each other.

Where is the passion? There's passion between Clois and Diana/Steven, but Chlollie . . . where the heck is it?

Not only for Chlollie, but for Chloe in the overall comic. Before the comic hit the digitals/stands, BQM said we'd be able to know how he feels about a character from his writing.

After two years, his writing has been telling me what he thinks/how he feels about each character, as well as the relationahips.

Sure, I could be missing something or misconstruing what I'm seeing or not seeing. I dont know!

I do know though, there is a huge difference between affection and passion. There is a great affection for Chloe and Chlollie in this comic, but the passion . . . where is the passion?

You don't think BQM has any emotional investment in Chloe / Chlollie?

Comment

• From NYCC looks like Smallville comic book is finishing up with it's current run. It was a good run all thanks to BQM for prolonging Smallville for one more season. If it was going to end no better way than your version of Crisis on Infinite Earth's.

Moderator John Cunningham opened the panel by introducing DC Digital head Hank Kanalz, along with Bruno Redondo, Jeff Parker, Cat Staggs, Brian Q. Miller, Shawn Kittelsen, Marc Guggenheim, Alex Antone, and Kyle Higgins.

Miller kicked things off talking about the end of Smallville Season 11, the end of which will mark the end of the series. "We're bringing together our own proto Justice League to fight the Monitors. My artists hate me right now, cause it's a chance to draw everyone."

http://www.newsarama.com/22417-nycc-2014-dc-digital-download-this-live.html

Bryan Q. Miller @bryanQmiller · 3m 3 minutes ago

I'll do a proper Tumblr post about it when I get home, but yes, #SmallvilleS11- and the series- will be concluding with Continuity.
                              Bryan Q. Miller @bryanQmiller · 37s 38 seconds ago

It was planned well in advance that Continuity would bee the comic series' finale. We just couldn't announce that until today

Comment

• Hi, guys!!

Originally posted by Neverending Story

Credit : drasvaska
                                Gorgeous *__________*

wait what, I come back to find out Chloe is no more Watchtower and that the SV comic book will end???
                                whyyyyy

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎