Collapse
No announcement yet.

300: Rise of an Empire

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently tracking at 62% on RT, with 75% among top critics. That's a high score considering the bias against Zack Snyder.

I'm going to rematch the original right now, I own the widescreen on DVD. I'll be going to watch the new one in 3D tomorrow night.

Jesus, the dialogue in 300 was so epic.

"Arcadian ...., I have fought countless teams, yet I've never met an adversary that could offer me what we Spartans call 'a beautiful death'. I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."

Reminds me of the sweet "a good death is its own reward" line in MoS.

"Our arrows will blot out the sun"
    "then we will fight in the shade"

"Give them nothing. But take from them, everything"

"Let me guess. You must be ... Xerxes?"

"There is much our cultures could share"
    "Haven't you noticed? we've been sharing our culture with you all morning"

"I will erase even the memory of Sparta from the histories"
    "Every Greek historian and every scribe shall have their eyes put out, and their tongues cut from their mouth."

Seeing the immortals in live-action is so awesome after having used them in the video game civilisation. Movie doesn't disappoint, immortals are badass in the movie.

"I want it all. Wealth, women, and one more thing, I want a uniform"
    "Unlike the cruel Leonidas who require that you stand, I require only, that you kneel"

Last edited by DA_Champion; 03-06-2014, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Oh man can't wait I'm going to see at the weekend. The first one was film that I really liked.

Comment

One annoying thing though ... piece of **** DVD. It keeps hiccuping, and it isn't as though I've watched this 1000 times. I hate corporate America.

Comment

The critics make this sounds like it has similar issues with previous Snyder films, lots of style thin on the story-line. I wonder how much Frank Millar is involved with this film.

Comment

Originally posted by Degobunny
            The critics make this sounds like it has similar issues with previous Snyder films, lots of style thin on the story-line. I wonder how much Frank Millar is involved with this film.
            I think he's been involved from the beginning but only to give his recommendations. There was an article last year saying that he was on set on a few occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
              I think he's been involved from the beginning but only to give his recommendations. There was an article last year saying that he was on set on a few occasions.
              I wonder if he introduces himself as "the g d author".

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                I wonder if he introduces himself as "the g d author".
                Surely that's Alan Moore?.

Comment

Surely that's Alan Moore?.
                  Did I get it wrong? I thought Frank Miller was the one who wrote that into his Batman script. Or am I just not getting your joke?

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                    Did I get it wrong? I thought Frank Miller was the one who wrote that into his Batman script. Or am I just not getting your joke?
                    You're right Frank Miller wrote it but you didn't get my lame a** joke.

Comment

You're right Frank Miller wrote it but you didn't get my lame a** joke.
                      Darn, sorry. My bad.

Comment

No worries man.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't seen much love bar me. Thought some of you guys who regularly talk CBM's would be talking about this.

Comment

I am in the theater, the ads start in 10 minutes. Im hoping that this is good as I had an awful day at the office.

Comment

300: Rise of an Empire was badass.

It had a pretty compelling story and plot (it is after all based on important historical events), and the two core characters, Artemisia and Themistocles, were a lot of fun. I enjoyed their rivalry and games in the movie. Themistocles is a true hero. Eva Green's Artemisia is rather sexy when she's having sex, aside from being sexy the entire time. She's actually one of my favourite comic book villains at this point, she was smart, compelling, and powerful. The movie had strong characters ... there are a couple moments when I wanted to shed a tear for the characters, I wasn't expecting that out of a 300 movie.

The sword fights don't really disappoint, but we've seen sword fights before. What we had not seen was naval battles. The innovation in this movie was with the naval battles. Remember the preview of Troy where we see 1,000 ships and it looks awesome? We see 1,000 ships in this movie, and they actually do something, they don't just land on a beach. There are at least 3 naval battles, and they're each different and clever in their own way.

I like what they did with the narrative structure. It's neither sequel nor prequel to the first movie, but it's mostly parallel to the first movie, covering important events taking place elsewhere. However, I've watched the original movie 3 or 4 times, including one time last night. The narrative of the original film is fresh in my mind ... will other viewers understand what is going on? I don't know.

The world-building was good, they managed to make the Athenians different from the Spartans.

If I have one complaint, it is that Rise of an Empire maintains the style of the first, but only to an extent. It's a bit less like 300, and a bit more like Troy and Gladiator, and it doesn't have some of the clever dialogue we saw in the first movie, which is too bad.

8.5/10.
                            Last edited by DA_Champion; 03-07-2014, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Okay so we I went to see this today and yes i liked to an extent though I'll say this straight away Rise of an Empire isn't as nearly as good as 300.

The action scenes were great but I don't know something felt missing from them compared to Snyders take on them. Can't really explain it. Artemisia (Eva Green) was great in this though I thought a total bada**. She's entertaining and one ruthless biatch. Themistocles isn't a better leader or character than Leonidas and Xerxes is just a cool mofo.

7/10.

Comment

Now up to 291 million worldwide on a 110 million dollar production budget. I'm happy that the movie is succeeding.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎