Matt Smith announces his departure from Dr Who

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Smith announces his departure from Dr Who

This news has really saddened me.
    Last edited by KSiteTV; 06-02-2013, 08:27 AM. Reason: Use the KSiteTV link, thanks.

Matt Smith Is Leaving Doctor Who!

This one really surprised me. Details:

What does everyone think?

Comment

Not terribly surprised. I had a feeling after Karen and Arthur left Matt wouldn't be far behind. If it wasn't Christmas, I saw him going at the end of the next series.

Feelings? Conflicted, as usual in this situation. On the one hand, I really believe Matt Smith being cast as the Doctor is one of the best things to ever happen to this show. If nothing else, Moffat can be proud of doing that.

I just think Smith has been the Doctor for me like none of the others - and I say this as a former Tenth Doctor devotee. I really believed after Tennant left that I would enjoy other actors' portrayals, but nobody would ever replace David as my Doctor. That went out the window ten minutes into Matt's first episode.

The Eleventh Doctor has been the most magical out of all of them. That back and forth with little Amelia in The Eleventh Hour - "I don't have a Mum and Dad, just an aunt" "I don't even have an aunt." "You're lucky!" "I know!" - pure fairytale. He was merry and whimsical and funny, and at the absolute drop of hat revealed himself as a 1000 year old alien who has suffered terrible losses. That moment in The Beast Below where he just plain loses it - "Nobody talk to me. Nobody human has anything to say to me today!"

So yeah, I could gush about Matt all day. And honestly, I could watch him play the Doctor till the end of time (part 2 ). But having said that, I do think it's the right decision at the right moment.

Matt wants to do other stuff. He's got a growing fanbase in the US and is about to be in Ryan Goslings new film - doors are going to be opening left and right for him and I think he has too much respect for the show to mess it about by splitting time between others jobs and Who. It really feels like only yesterday that he spun around in a state of shock and declared "Legs! I've still got legs!" - but it's been three years and a busy three years at that. He's done more than enough, and he's bowing out before he overstays his welcome.

I've made my feelings about the current state of the show very clear over the last couple of weeks: I'm not happy with the stories and the writing and blah, blah, blah, internet nerd speak. I have never once complained about Matt's performance because there's been no need to. He has been flawless from day one, and I only hope that the show as a whole gets it's act together so the Eleventh Doctor gets the send off he deserves.

And now the comes the incredibly fun and incredibly scary part. Because this may well be the end, but you can damn sure bet it's been prepared for. I'm just gonna come out and say it: Female Doctor all the way!

Comment

I'm actually a little surprised, seeing as I thought they had announced he'd be doing series 8 also. It will be sad to see him go.

But, at the same time, I understand. He's been doing this for three years (which is the length for many actors in the role) and wants to move on.

I just hope they won't screw up, like they did with David's exist, by playing up regeneration as an actual death.

Comment

I know this will be a minority view, but I'm pleased to hear this news. I've never really taken to Matt's doctor - bit too clownish for my liking. What's more, I feel the show needs a relaunch. It used to be a highlight of my week, real "must-see" stuff, but recently I've been less and less interested, to the point where I'm not bothered if I miss an episode. Some of the recent episodes have been weak, IMO (the singing episode was especially poor, and even the Ice Warrior ep felt like a missed opportunity), and a fresh start could be just what's needed. However, I fear that the key reason I've lost interest is not Matt, but Moffat - as he's staying, I suspect my love for the show may not be rekindled by a new face.

Comment

I'm glad we at least know the score now because the constant speculation about when was Matt leaving from almost the moment he started in the role was quite annoying.

So, is Moffat staying on even for season 8/post Matt Smith? Because I think this sounds like a great time for someone else to take over, it's time for Moffat to go, and take his disappointing "magical" finales (and River Song) with him.

I don't know who could replace him but it might mean me enjoying the show in a way I haven't since 2009. Perhaps keep Moffat on as an occasional guest writer, keep him away from the main arcs and finales, let's face it that was when he served the show best, when he just wrote some of the episodes.

someone on another site:
            The show has shifted from mildly entertaining to a shipwreck aimed at 3 year-olds
            Last edited by Tekken Force; 06-02-2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I'm not shocked to be honest because he has sort of hinted that his time as the Doctor may be coming to an end in a few interviews but I'm of course a bit sad because he is such a great actor who has done a fantastic job as the 11th doctor.

Three series/seasons is a lot and I can understand that he is ready to do other things now so I wish him the best of luck, hope that he will get to do some great exciting projects.

I'm looking forward even more now to see the 50th anniversary as well as the Christmas special.

Comment

Sad news. Matt had quickly become one of my favourite Doctors. I loved his quirky take on the character. I had hoped he would stick around for another season at least.

All those extended breaks between seasons and within seasons since Series 6 frustrate me: I mean about a year passed between the end of Series 6 and the beginning of Series 7 with only one episode (Christmas Special 2011) in between and then there was another big gap within Series 7. Now we have to wait for over a year till Series 8 (with two episodes in the gap). Seems to me they could have given us another season or at least half of one with Matt if it hadn't been for these looooong breaks.

Ah well I wish all the best for his future.

Comment

Im going to miss Matt terribly. He is my favorite Doctor and the one I identify with the most. Ive had friends tell me he reminds them of me and vice versa. I liked David but Matt made himself my favorite with his first ep. Esp when he stepped through the face of David and said "Basically, run."

I must admit I had the feeling Matt was leaving when they did The Doctors Revisited. They showed his pic with the title during Peter's ep last week and I said "Why does it feel like Matt is walking away?"

To Matt I say thank you. I cant wait to see what you do next and I think we will see him again in our friendly TARDIS again sometime in the future. Geronimo!

Comment

Hey, remember when I wrote something about it being "the right decision at the right moment". Well forget that. Because I've woke up this morning and seen it in the papers and it's just hit me. Bloody hell I'm going to miss Matt's Doctor. I'm at the depression stage here, guys. It'll be a while before I get excited about someone else taking the role (but I'll get there). I've just been watching regeneration videos all day, and I'm getting emotional already!

Comment

I might cry of sadness when Matt regenerates but if Benedict Cumberbatch (or a ginger) is the new Doctor I may cry with delight.

Comment

E was saying Matt is only making an appearance in the Christmas special. Ive heard anywhere from that to he will be in the whole thing. Anyone know what the truth is?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
                          E was saying Matt is only making an appearance in the Christmas special. Ive heard anywhere from that to he will be in the whole thing. Anyone know what the truth is?
                          According to Steven Moffat, the Twelfth Doctor will appear in a "very short scene" (presumably the regeneration) in the Christmas Special. Now, we know that Moffat lies to protect surprises, but the idea that the Christmas Special won't be Matt Smith's big finale seems to have come from fans who have taken the word "appearance" to mean "he's only doing a cameo", and have also become fixated upon the idea that the 50th Anniversary Special would end with the Eleventh Doctor regenerating into the Twelfth (a theory that was doing the rounds long before Matt Smith announced that he was leaving).

To be realistic, Peter Capaldi has commitments to other projects that means that, apart from a day's filming for the regeneration, he won't be free to shoot Doctor Who episodes until the beginning of next year (series 8 is pencilled in for UK broadcast in the third quarter of 2014). Until then, the most he will do is further preparatory work on developing the Twelfth Doctor - attending costume fittings, reading initial drafts of series 8 scripts and working with Steven Moffat on tweaks to make this incarnation of the Doctor his own.

Comment

Ty newbaggy. That helps a lot and im glad Matt will be in a good amt of the Christmas special.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎