Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malcolm Merlyn

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that Malcolm is dead, and that Oliver lied to Tommy knowing that it's what Tommy wanted to hear. Truly spectacular performances in this show...Arnell gave an Emmy-winning performance IMO when Tommy died. Goosebumps still thinking about it....

Comment

There is still so much potential with the character that if they really did kill him off it's a shame. I still like to see him become the Dark Archer, his connection to the League of Assasins, and what he's going to do now that his wife AND son are dead. Please don't let him be truly dead.

Comment

Originally posted by pochemuchka
        The thing is that *I* almost felt he was justified for killing thousands. I got taken in by the sadness. Which is fantastic, because even though I love villains, I've never thought "Yeah, I hope this genocide works out for them"
        Yeah, same here as well. And that's what made Malcolm such a brilliant character, and why I hope we'll see him in Season 2. I mean, yeah, I tend to like the villians, especially in superhero shows/films, and I do have a soft spot for John Barrowman as well, but this went a step further than that - there's quite a big difference between thinking "I hope he won't get killed" and "I hope he'll succeed"

Comment

Originally posted by super_j_man
          I still like to see him become the Dark Archer, his connection to the League of Assasins
          Well, even if he has actually been killed, there's no reason why they couldn't explore that stuff in flashbacks. But I'd definitely prefer it if he was still alive - he's such a great character, and as you said, it'd be interesting to see how he'd react to his son's death. If he was dangerous before, imagine what he'd be like with literally nothing left to lose...

Comment

Originally posted by ruby_took
            Well, even if he has actually been killed, there's no reason why they couldn't explore that stuff in flashbacks. But I'd definitely prefer it if he was still alive - he's such a great character, and as you said, it'd be interesting to see how he'd react to his son's death. If he was dangerous before, imagine what he'd be like with literally nothing left to lose...
            But technically he was responsible for his sons death do you think that might change how he acts since it was his own actions that cost his son his life.

That is if he is still alive; If he isn't they could still have Arthur King become "Merlyn" or whoever trained Malcolm become the Dark Archer.

Comment

Originally posted by Halberdier17
              But technically he was responsible for his sons death do you think that might change how he acts since it was his own actions that cost his son his life.

That is if he is still alive; If he isn't they could still have Arthur King become "Merlyn" or whoever trained Malcolm become the Dark Archer.
              Yeah I don't think he's dead, he could have just been severely injured and so faked dying to get Oliver off him. It'll definitely be interesting to see how he reacts to his role in his son's death.

Comment

Originally posted by Memph
                Yeah I don't think he's dead, he could have just been severely injured and so faked dying to get Oliver off him. It'll definitely be interesting to see how he reacts to his role in his son's death.
                I may be wrong, but isn't there some sort of Eastern-style meditation that can put you into an apparent state of death, but its really just controlling your body? If anyone would be disciplined enough to learn that, it would be Malcolm Merlyn. He said himself he's learned about redundancies. Besides, it'd be hard for them to bring in a 'Dark Archer' character and not have them with the name Merlyn.

Malcolm will probably blame Oliver or Laurel. He's not only a psychopath, but a narcissist. He cannot consider the possibility that what he's done is wrong, or that he has any role in Tommy's death. Of the two mentioned, I actually think he'll blame Laurel more. It was Laurel that Tommy rushed to rescue after Oliver told him to leave and get to safety. Malcolm would have heard that with the door cracked open. So even though he and Oliver will be enemies regardless, I don't see him blaming Oliver when Oliver told Tommy to get to safety.

Malcolm will, of course, have a very different role to play. The police will be looking for him, so I doubt he'll be as frequent a guest star on the next season. I see them bringing him back for the final season as a regular and being the final primary antagonist for "Arrow". But there's plenty of others to bring into play, both for single episodes and for more recurring villains. I still say Slade is going to show up. Though I'd bet anything that every single villain will be connected to the League of Assassins in one way or another...

Comment

Lord I pray that Malcolm is dead and Oliver just lied to Tommy to make his final moments peaceful. PLEASE let Malcolm be dead. Otherwise I may not be responsible for the decibel of my screaming.

Comment

Just wanted to add my opinion to others on here regarding John Barrowman's performance as Malcolm. I have been very impressed with just how good he has been playing a villain. I'm so used to him playing Captain Jack Harkness (which he is fantastic at) that at first I wasn't sure what he would be like as a villain. I can now say that he has surpassed all my expectations and I love him in this role. You can tell from both his on screen performance and the comments made by other actors on the show that he too is loving playing this character. i hope he is not dead so we can have more of Malcolm in future season.

Comment

I don't think he is dead. They never went back to that rooftop at the end, so he probably survived! Or could he have a "doppelganger" of himself who got killed, and the real Malcolm is still alive (pretty much like the redundant quake device that was hidden away).
                      Thoughts guys & gals?
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by pochemuchka
                        The thing is that *I* almost felt he was justified for killing thousands. I got taken in by the sadness. Which is fantastic, because even though I love villains, I've never thought "Yeah, I hope this genocide works out for them"
                        Same here. I was drawn in to Malcolm's character and I credit John Barrowman and his wonderful performance for making me feel sympathy for a psychopath.

When Malcolm revealed that he had a second device, I actually cheered because I was impressed with his cleverness and pleased that he would get some measure of revenge. (How twisted is that? Again, a credit to the actor.)

I would love to see Malcolm come back, now with his Berserk Button permanently pressed due to his son's death, because he's a fantastic villain but I thought I heard somewhere that a show executive confirmed Malcolm is dead. If true, bummer.
                        Last edited by RedRabbit; 05-25-2013, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRabbit
                          Same here. I was drawn in to Malcolm's character and I credit John Barrowman and his wonderful performance for making me feel sympathy for a psychopath.

When Malcolm revealed that he had a second device, I actually cheered because I was impressed with his cleverness and pleased that he would get some measure of revenge. (How twisted is that? Again, a credit to the actor.)

I would love to see Malcolm come back, now with his Berserk Button permanently pressed due to his son's death, because he's a fantastic villain but I thought I heard somewhere that a show executive conformed Malcolm is dead. If true, bummer.
                          I think it's still up in the air on Malcolm. I don't think he'll be back in a lot of episodes; I see him more as a recurring villain now that he's on the run from the police and most likely the FBI/DHS/etc. Since this series is taking a more realistic approach and seemingly basing it slightly in a world like our own, one could assume that Malcolm Merlyn is on the top Most Wanted Terrorists list for his actions if he's alive.

Now, I'm not up in comics, and I've asked this a couple times but no one's really answered: Isn't Merlyn/Dark Archer supposed to be Green Arrow's 'archenemy' type, like Lex Luthor is for Superman and the Joker is for Batman? If so, I don't see them killing all off the entire Merlyn family in the first season. The only option I can think is what someone else already suggested: Malcolm has another son that he left to be raised in Nanda Parbat.

A few years down the road, they might even be able to get Colin Donnell back to play the final Merlyn, which would be more explainable for him to play a Dark Archer character than the unbelievable element people were banding about for Tommy prior to the finale. I wouldn't mind it. Colin played his role here magnificently, and there were moments where I could see him playing the villain in a future season. I hope the producers think about doing something like that. He's just too talented an actor, in my opinion, to not use in a future season.

Comment

Is there a chance Tommy will be back?

Comment

Malcolm

What are your guys' thoughts on them bringing Ra's/The League of Shadows. Will DC even let them? Would it make sense, or would it just feel like they are cashing in on Nolan's success?

Comment

Originally posted by Qcore
                                Is there a chance Tommy will be back?
                                It's very unlikely.. the writers of the show said he wont be back but Colin Donnell (The actor that plays Tommy), said "Thank God for flashbacks" So I'm hoping he comes back in flashbacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎