0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - She's not worth it

2 3.17%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySpoiler View Post
    A few questions I have: 1) Is Malcolm still alive? I find it hard to believe they'd kill off Arrow's comic archnemesis after only 1 season
    In the comics the Dark Archer/Merlyn's real name is Arthur King so they could have another person become Merlyn maybe he is inspired by Malcolm Merlyn or he was Malcolm's teacher and takes up the Merlyn name to get revenge on Ollie.

New In Town
    I think it was THE best episode of the season. At first I thought Malcolm was dead, but after watching it for the second time i have my doubts. Though I've been hating Moira, I believed she definitely was the "bigger man" last night by taking one step aside and blaming herself.
    I really want Shado to have an important role in season 2.
    To be honest, I've never read any of the comics but i see everyone is talking about "a woman", the one that was talking to Fyers. Could someone explain it a little bit to me? Thanks in advance!!

I thought this was the best episode of the season.

Posting Pro
    Stephen A. wrote on his FB page that watching the final episodes back to back could possibly give you a heart attack, and my heart was surely thumping during the whole season finale. It was SO melodramatic, but in a good way. There is a thin line between good melodrama and pure cheese, and there were a few moments that I found somewhat cringeworthy. But then again, a certain amount of "cheesiness" kind of comes with the whole comic book show/CW brand of television package, so I'm not complaining.

Here's the Wikipedia definition of melodrama films, which also fits melodrama TV shows IMHO:

Melodrama films are a subgenre of drama films characterised by a plot that appeals to the heightened emotions of the audience. Melodramatic films tend to use plots that often deal with crises of human emotion, failed romance or friendship, strained familial situations, tragedy, illness or emotional and physical hardship. Victims, couples, virtuous and heroic characters or suffering protagonists in melodramas are presented with tremendous social pressures, threats, repression, fears, improbable events or difficulties with friends, community, lovers, or family. The melodramatic format allows the character to work through their difficulties or surmount the problems with resolute endurance, sacrificial acts, and steadfast bravery. unquote

If we apply these criteria to the season finale, it would surely fit the bill of a true melodrama-heroic characters, disastrous events, crises of human emotion, strained familial situations, tragedy, tremendous social pressures, threats, fears, emotional and physical hardship as well as resolute endurance, sacrificial acts and steadfast bravery. If we add bit of Barrowman-esque archvillainy and comic book madness, I think we have pretty well covered the whole gamut of melodramatic tropes that characterized this final episode.

It seemed as though almost every major character had some kind of epiphany or went through an emotional turning point during the course of the action in this episode. In some cases it involved their relations with other characters, and in some cases they were of a more private nature. I've tried to sort them out a bit by looking at each character in turn and see if I could find some of the pivotal moments for our beloved "Arrow" cast of characters. Since Ollie is the protagonist, it's only fitting that he should have the most "defining moments" in this episode, so I'll start with him and try to cover the other characters in another post.

Island scenes:

In the finale Island episode we see Oliver perform his first two really heroic deeds-he averted the missile and he saved Shado. So, I guess that these were the turning points for Oliver in the Island storyline. As a side note, it's quite amazing to see how Stephen's body language has changed during the course of the Island arc-in the final episode he carried himself much like he carries himself in the present-day, and when he aimed at Fyer's he had the same "steely" look in his eyes that he has when he shoots his arrow through someone in the Starling city scenes. Now, if they only could get rid of that horrendous WIG everything would be perfect!

The Starling city storyline:

Oliver's confrontation with his mother concerning "The Undertaking"-when he walked into the room he told Moira that he didn't want to hear "any more lies".....but it was actually Oliver himself who finally stopped lying to his family about his Island experiences and told Moira the truth about Robert's death. I think that's when Moira realized that *she* can't use the "I'm only trying to protect my children" shpiel any longer as an excuse for her own cowardice, something which made her decide to publicly expose Malcom as well as acknowledging her own role in the Undertaking.

Laurel and Oliver scene at the Casa Queen-although I had wanted Lauriver to get together by the end of the season, I was somewhat disappointed when Oliver went to her place in the "Undertaking" episode. Not that I'm a prude, but I thought it would have been better/more appropriate if they had had a serious heart-to-heart talk instead of immediately jumping each others' bones (mods, please delete if you find this too offensive!). On the other hand, I guess that it was something that they had to get out of their system after a season of UST...

The scene in "Sacrifice" , when Oliver told Laurel that she has always been able to see his true self was really sweet though, and it tied in nicely with the scene in "Verdant" when Laurel told him that she is finally beginning to see him as the man he really is. That's a bit of a paradox, of course...if she always knew that he was a good guy deep down, why would she say he's changed? My interpretation is that in the past she always tried to see the best in him, and that's why she trusted him, despite him being a "bad boy". When he let her down so monumentally ("the sister debacle") she lost that trust and over the course of the season she has slowly regained her earlier belief in him. I've probably been reading far too may romance novels, but that's my take anyway!

The Great Malcolm Merlyn/Oliver Queen Showdown. I'm sure many viewers have wondered why Oliver suddenly loses his kick-ass powers whenever he's up against Merlyn/The Dark Archer. In fact, I think that's the reason why the writers let Merlyn himself comment on it in his first confrontation with Oliver, when he said "You can't beat me Oliver. You don't know what you're fighting for". Oliver's powers are enough to take down "The Bad Guys of the Week" and tick their names off the List , but in order to be able to defeat the Ultimate Evil he has to know what his real mission is. I'd say that this was Oliver's major epiphany in the season finale...in fact, he said so himself, after he drove that arrow through Merlyn's chest: "Thank you for teaching me what I'm fighting for"...which I take is to help people rather than taking revenge on a bunch of crooked businessmen. In that sense he didn't accomplish his mission, since the Markov device went off, causing death and destruction all over the city it seems. So, Oliver's first lesson as a Real Hero might be that you can't save everyone everytime...

I do love to see Barrowman "hamming it up" in his portrayal of Merlyn/The Dark Archer....I think he's having a lot of fun playing the Archvillain, and it shows. I don't know if anyone here is old enough to remember Joan Collin's portrayal of Alexis in "Dynasty", but it reminds me a bit of Barrowman's take on Merlyn (though I think Barrowman is a better actor). Anyway, her Alexis is over the top all the time and a delight to watch. Check her out on youtube, especially her epic "cat fights" with the angelic Krystle Carrington, and you'll know what I mean.

Oliver and Tommy-their last farewell was heartwrenching, but at least they made up before Tommy died. So now Oliver will have to live with the loss of his best friend, and that will be another major turning point in his life.

Have to stop here and sorry about the length of this post!
    Last edited by evaba; 05-17-2013 at 06:30 AM.

New In Town
    As a person who has tuned in and out of the show over the season and watched half the episodes I didn't feel the awesomeness that some have expressed who have been following diligently. But there were some really excellent action sequences in this episode which are easily up there with the best I've ever seen on television. (The Oliver breaking out of the chains reminded me very much of the opening of the Chronicles of Riddick).

I also felt that each of the cast were given a stellar moment or moments with some working better than others in my opinion. The Oliver/Malcolm in the beginning I felt was a bit 'flat' as was the Oliver/Laurel at the mansion. The Laurel/Dad when they thought they were going to die, Moira revealing the plan to evacuate the glades, Oliver and Tommy (death scene), Diggle taking a knife and Felicity holding the fort amongst the boom - were some of the highlights.

As a show/season the story telling (flashbacks to the island), the Laurel/Oliver relationship, Laurel in general (Thank goodness they don't really call her Dinah because I don't think she is anything like Dinah from the comics) and Oliver's continuing body count are big turn offs for me and its now a case of what isn't working for me out ways what does work so I don't think I will be watching any further. But for the rest of you who are continuing- hope you get what you want.

Posting Pro
    This is part two of my episode review ("review" sounds a bit pretentious, but anyway). Here are a few more thoughts on turning points or pivotal scenes with regards to the rest of the characters:

The Laurel storyline. As I wrote elsewhere, I'm quite disappointed with the way the writers handled Laurel's character in this episode. Here I thought that she was finally free from the "love triangle" quagmire, but in this ep she was again used as a plot device...I mean, if Laurel had acted as the rational person she is supposed to be (she is a lawyer after all!) she wouldn't have gone to the Glades at all, especially since both Oliver and Quentin specifically told her to stay out of there. Of course, the writers had to ditch character building and credibility in order to get her to the C.N.R.I. offices, so that Tommy could make his great sacrifice, and give his life in order to save hers. That was a very noble thing to do, I just wish it could have been done in a different manner...for example, they could have shown the C.N.R.I. employees as helping the people in the neighbourhood to get out of the area (rather than trying to save their goddamn *files*!), and Tommy intervening to save Laurel during that rescue mission.

Anyway, Tommy's death is bound to be a huge turning point for Laurel, which will have repercussions on her relationship with Oliver. If the cheating and Sarah's death was the "elephant in the room" standing between Oliver and Laurel in the first season, I guess the death of the former boyfriend/best friend will be the major obstacle in season two. I really liked the "happy and carefree" Laurel in the "Undertaking" flashbacks and I had hoped to see more of happy Laurel in season two, preferrably in her scenes with Oliver, but I guess we are more or less doomed to see more angst and bad conscience as far as Lauriver is concerned in the following season. Another possible development is that now that the C.N.R.I. is defunct, Laurel will decide to go outside the law and become a vigilante of her own, with or without Oliver...

Quentin also had his turning point in the season finale. My impression of the Quentin-Laurel relationship is that he wasn't a particularly good or supportive father to her after Sarah died and Dinah senior left him. Judging from information in earlier episodes he has either been too distant and wrapped up in his work or too interfering and judgmental (concerning her choice of boyfriends etc). So, in the season finale, when he realized that he could possibly die he decided to make amends and tell Laurel how much she means to him and how he is willing to change for her sake. I imagine that this is a major breakthrough for someone like Quentin, who seems quite reluctant to accept that he might be wrong concerning anything, really. I also have a hunch that Quentin will actually become Oliver's ally in the upcoming season, using his position as police detective to provide "inside" information and helping him in his mission.

Tommy (R.I.P). I know that Oliver is supposed to be the Hero of the show, but the concluding episodes convinced me that the true Hero is actually Tommy. Among the major characters in the Merlyn-Queen story line, he is the only who has stayed consistently true to his own ideals and never lied to anyone, from the beginning to the end, and that might be the reason why he had to die....he was just too good a person to be able to survive in the "Arrow" universe. He also went through more changes in this episode than anyone else, the most shattering ones having to listen to his mother's last words and learning that his father was planning to level the Glades.

Last but not least, Felicity also had her turning point in this ep. Since Felicity is a secondary character, her role has been mostly instrumental, in the sense that she is the one who provides Oliver with useful hacker information. Apart from that her character hasn't really been developed that much beyond the "cute and quirky" Internet nerd stereotype IMHO. As I see it, her defining traits so far has been her social awkwardness and her somewhat timid nature on the one hand, and her extreme confidence as a computer person on the other. Also, in previous episodes she never acted on her own, since she always had either Oliver or Diggle watching her back. However, in the season finale she had to fend for herself, and the fact that she actually managed to save Quentin's life must surely be a boost to her confidence and a major turning point in her character development.

The only character/storyline that remains a bit of a mystery to me is the Roy Harper/Thea story line. I know that Harper is Oliver's sidekick in the comics, but in the TV series I have yet to understand his role in the plot. Even in the season finale the Harper/Thea storyline seemed a bit random an disconnected IMHO...but maybe they just need some more time.

A few random comments...

Did anyone count how many times the word "sacrifice" was mentioned in this episode?

When Oliver asked what local channel his mother's confession was shown on, I broke out laughing. As far as I can see, there is only *one* channel in Starling city, with *one* anchorman, namely the "person of color" (as Diggle would say!) who appears in the opening credits ("Oliver Queen...etc")!

I'm going to stop here. I probably won't go online as often now that the show has ended for the season, so I'd like to wish everyone a great summer. Take care and let's hope we all survive the summer "hellatus"!
    Last edited by evaba; 05-18-2013 at 06:34 AM.

I thought the finale was an incredible hour of TV and Stephen was definitely right to warn viewers about the possibility of heart failure.....mine nearly stopped several times. Wonderful action scenes and gut wrenching emotional scenes....this episode had it all. My favorite line from the whole episode was Felicity looking at Oliver and saying, "If you're not leaving then I'm not leaving." I love that she stands up to him. She's grown alot in her interactions with him this season while keeping the awkwardness that makes her so lovable. I'm looking forward to her becoming a regular cast member next season and many more amazing scenes between her and Oliver.

I'm really going to miss Tommy. Even when he was being a jerk to Oliver (which I completely understood) I could never bring myself to hate on him. He definitely earned his hero status this episode, although, if Laurel wasn't such an idiot to go to the Glades after being told TWICE to stay out of there, Tommy wouldn't have needed to save her sorry butt. I hate when the writing makes a character look so impossibly selfish. I hope next season they do something to make her a rootable character for me....but so far, I feel nothing but aggravated with her.

Overall an excellent ending to a stellar first season. I'll soon be counting down the day to season 2.

Settling In
    Quote Originally Posted by Halberdier17 View Post
    In the comics the Dark Archer/Merlyn's real name is Arthur King.
    That's not actually true. Pre-Flashpoint, his real name was unknown, Arthur King was just a common alias. In Volume 5 of the current Green Arrow comic, Tommy Merlyn appeared in the #0 issue, he is injured and put in a coma, and wakes up years later at a mysterious monestary (Nanda Parbat). He next appears in the pages of Batman Incorporated, working with Talia al Ghul's Leviathan organization. Meanwhile, volume 5 of GA has Oliver pitted against another Dark Archer, Komodo (called "Mr. Lacroix" by business associates, but clearly an alias). He wears a costume with some similarities to Malcolm's Dark Archer costume, and has a connection to Oliver's past, but his true identity is unknown. I imagine his real name will turn out to be Malcolm Thomas Merlyn, or something along those lines.
    Slightly OT, but if the Dark Archer is one of the 8 super assassins that's going to be in Batman: Arkham Origins, I hope he's wearing a costume similar to Malcolm's, that mask is just too badass.

New In Town
    Quote Originally Posted by super_j_man View Post
    Whatever happens with Lauliver next season, I just hope that it won't be some secret and lies crap like Smallville season 2. And hopefully they'll stay together and not yo-yo back and forth.
    If anything, it'll probably be Tommy's death that causes problems for Lauliver.

Hopeless Forum Addict Halberdier17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Scratch View Post
    Slightly OT, but if the Dark Archer is one of the 8 super assassins that's going to be in Batman: Arkham Origins, I hope he's wearing a costume similar to Malcolm's, that mask is just too badass.
    I hope he would be in Batman: Arkham Origins; I know Deathstroke is supposed to be the dragon to Black Mask in it so I don't know if Deathstroke will count as one of the 8 assassin's from what I understand.

Fantastic finale to a great season. Everything was played perfectly by the cast and looked like a big budget movie instead of a TV show. The fight between Ollie and Malcolm was brilliant and I was genuinely shocked when Tommy died. Up to a certain point in the story I was sure Detective Lance was going to die. Amazing cliff hanger and now I can't wait for season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchersPet View Post
    Wow. Definitely 10/10. I didn't really know what to expect coming into the episode but it sure wasn't THAT! It exceeded all my expectations for sure. Everything was so well done.
    This.

Best episode to date. And more DC heroes on the way in Season 2!

This is the best episode of the season, for many of the reasons already stated. There was some closure with the island story line, tying up a few loose threads, and Ollie's final confrontation with Fyers. The finale definitely had that anything-could-happen tone to it, where we didn't know if one (or more) of the main characters would ever make it out of the Glades.

I know Laurel and Ollie are destined to be together, but I don't know if it's just me -- I'm not 'there' yet in buying into their relationship. I expected them to get together maybe next season. Plot-wise I think it was bold for the writers to have Tommy Merlyn be the one to make the sacrifice for Laurel, as it will no doubt play a role in Laurel's own character development -- next season. The fact that Tommy went in to save Laurel in spite of everything made his sacrifice more "valuable" in the grand scheme of Oliver Queen's path to destiny. If Season 2 lives up to what Tommy's death would deliver -- more personal growth for Ollie and especially Laurel -- then it's a sacrifice that is worth the risk of removing one of the strongest actors on the series. Colin Donnell was solid throughout this season. After this episode, he is the man. He'll be missed.

Felicity's character has evolved from a one-shot into one of the most interesting characters on the series. There's so much potential for her and I hope that momentum continues into Season 2.

The flashbacks over the season could have distracted from present-day Ollie's story, but on the whole they didn't. They added context to Ollie's character development. I'm also surprised that I became more interested in Roy and Thea's subplot as the season progressed. I know theirs a bit 'West Side Story'ish, with Thea falling for the dude from the wrong side of the tracks etc., but I found I bought into their relationship more than the late-season Ollie-Laurel bonding.

Season 1 ended on solid footing. Now the expectation is that next season will deliver on the Ollie and Laurel front, as well as Diggle, Felicity and others.

Rating: 9/10.

[P.S. Anyone else found it somewhat amusing that, in the midst of an earthquake, there were still Glades locals who couldn't resist looting. Self-preservation didn't come across their minds when the earth was literally caving in beneath them?]

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by President_Luthor View Post
    [P.S. Anyone else found it somewhat amusing that, in the midst of an earthquake, there were still Glades locals who couldn't resist looting. Self-preservation didn't come across their minds when the earth was literally caving in beneath them?]

I found the fact that some of them were running around aimlessly like a herd of sheep with signs saying "The end is near" (or something like that!) even more odd....I mean, who has time to make a sign when he's running in panic from a possible disaster??? If we're supposed to empathize with the poor and downtrodden in the Glades, the way they were portrayed in the season finale surely didn't help reinforce that sentiment, with the looting and the ridiculous signs.

I've griped about the unreality of the Glades as a representation of a typical American slum before, so I'll just add that I don't find Colton Haynes as Roy Harper that convincing as a kid from "the wrong side of the tracks".....to me he looks more like he's walked straight out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalogue.

He should have studied Patrick Swayze (Darell Curtis) and C. Thomas Howell (Ponyboy) in "The Outsiders" to get some idea of how you portray "poor/working class white" in a convincing manner. This is just my opinion, folks...I presume that some viewers find Haynes' chiseled looks just perfect for the part. Maybe when the Roy Harper storyline gets more screen time there will be an opportunity to fill out his character more and make him more believable.

I should add that verisimilitude when it comes to portraying characters from different social strata is not the show's strong point anyway...for example, I've always wondered how a cop's daughter like Laurel came to mix with billionaire boys like Tommy and Oliver. But I digress, so I better sign off here!
    Last edited by evaba; 05-27-2013 at 04:29 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast