Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Sacrifice?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

There sure was lots of action and (melo)drama in the season finale! I think I have to rewatch it, because there was so much happening everywhere and all the time that I got a little dizzy towards the end...but I guess that's what a finale is supposed to look like. I'll try to write something more coherent after a second viewing, so this will just be some random comments.

Oliver "Houdini" Queen-kudos to the "Arrow" writers/directors for providing lots of yummy fanservice and keeping the plot moving along at the same time. Also, judging by the way Oliver used those chains to take out the guards, I guess we can add three more mooks to his list of casualties.

Malcolm Merlyn is mad as a hatter, and Barrowman is so camp sometimes, but I still love him.

Oh, no Tommy died, just when he was starting to really grow on me! When he said that he had gone to Laurel's house to patch things up with her I almost started crying. Or maybe he didn't die for real...did we really see him draw his last breath? If he's really dead, then Oliver will be more guiltridden than ever before in the upcoming season, and so will Laurel. So I guess that "the night of bliss" was a one night stand after all and that "the dance" begins again....let's just hope that they can at least stay friends and comfort each other this time.

Lovely Lauriver moment at the Casa Queen.

Island flashbacks-Shado is a mean fighter! I'd love to see her kick ass in Starling city...maybe they can bring her in to guest star in a present-day plot? Also, in this episode we see the first glimpse of Oliver as the man he will eventually become.

"Sacrifice" was the overarching theme of this episode and here are a few sacrifices I can think of:

The biggest one-Tommy sacrifices his own life to save Laurel.

Quentin was willing to give up his career to help Oliver save the Glades. Maybe it's just me, but I have the feeling that Quentin is beginning to view The Vigilante as a kind of "partner", rather than a madman that he has to catch at all costs. Also, he really poured his heart out to Laurel in that telephone call, probably because he thought he was going to die. It's nice to see Detective Lance being emotional rather than snarky sometimes!

Moira was willing to reveal her own involvement in the Undertaking and go to jail in order to expose Malcolm's lethal scheme.

Roy Harper stayed behind to help the people in his neighbourhood.

In the flashbacks, Robert took his own life to save his son's.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that spring to mind.

In general, it seemed as though the showrunners had saved up all their Microsoft product placement money to give us a whopping finale with lots of fireworks, extras and special effects. My only complaint is that this episode was a bit too past-paced....the plot could very well have been stretched over two episodes instead of one.
    Last edited by evaba; 05-16-2013, 03:23 AM.

Comment

What a finale. Gave it a 10.

It was definitely an episode of surprises. I was worried about a number of good guys dying, but Tommy I didn't expect. They really threw us off there. But I am glad the likes of Diggle, Moira and Quentin survived. Great acting by Colin and Stephen there.

Now it will be interesting to see what happens with Malcolm. At first I thought he died, but I see many people say it was left vague. Maybe they'll have him return for a couple of episodes next season? Don't know if he has much of a story left to be told, so he could turn into DeadShot or the Huntress. Someone that pops up every once in a while.

The cliffhangers were interesting. Malcolm, Moira's fate, the damage to the Glades, Laurel and Oliver feeling guilty about Tommy (I am actually dreading that, lol), among them. Also, what happens next on the island now that Fyers is dead? They weren't your typical "everyone might die" finale cliffhangers, but they do make you wonder where the show will take it from here.
      Last edited by costas22; 05-16-2013, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
        It's a tv show, they can always find a way to bring him back
        Lazarus Pit anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Anno_Domini
          Great season finale, but also a stunning one. Did not expect Tommy to die, at least not so early in the game and going out as a good guy. I was expecting a Norman Osborn/Harry Osborn type of deal, but if Malcolm Merlyn is still alive, than I assume he's the main Merlyn as Ollie's archenemy. And speaking of is Malcolm is still alive...I thought he died, but why did Oliver tell Tommy that he's alive?
          I figure he was giving Tommy a moment of peace. If Malcolm did die from his injuries, I imagine Oliver would be using a rationale similar to Batman after Ra's al Ghul died in Batman Begins, Bruce didn't kill Ra's, Ra's killed himself by throwing himself into a situation he couldn't get out of (you never did learn to mind your surroundings). Malcolm could very well be still alive. Even in the Nolanverse, people have been through worse and survived. With his identity exposed, he would need to go underground. They would only need Barrowman when we need to see his unmasked face, otherwise, stuntmen could take up the slack. Then again, how do we know Tommy's not in a coma, to be revived by monks at a later date. I think the mystery woman who hired Fyers is Talia (though Nyssa Raatko, Lady Shiva, and Whisper A'Daire are also strong possibilities), and Leviathan organization will be season 2's big bad, with Slade, Deadshot, and the surviving Merlyn connected to the group in some capacity.

Comment

First time I've given any show on here a 10.

Wow, that was a better finale than any finale Smallville had in its 10 attempts at it. Arrow definitely deserves a TV "new series surprise of the year" award. Who expected this show to be as good as its first season was after most of the other crap CW has produced or after Smallville? TPTB might deserve a medal for how they handled this first season.

No way Malcolm survives with everything but I do think they left the door open a crack just in case. Their killing off Tommy was certainly unexpected and resolving the whole love triangle thing that other shows relied heavily on so soon in the show's life. Then again, nothing stops them from throwing other characters to stir things up. They do still have Shado and she is probably still out there along with Helena to come mess things up. Got a feeling that the "mysterious legs" is going to end up taking over Merlin Industries next season if Queen Industries/Oliver doesn't. They could use Shiva in some way and I'm sure it's already been said that she's a potential candidate for training Malcolm.

Originally posted by Nick Scratch
            I figure he was giving Tommy a moment of peace. If Malcolm did die from his injuries, I imagine Oliver would be using a rationale similar to Batman after Ra's al Ghul died in Batman Begins, Bruce didn't kill Ra's, Ra's killed himself by throwing himself into a situation he couldn't get out of (you never did learn to mind your surroundings). Malcolm could very well be still alive. Even in the Nolanverse, people have been through worse and survived. With his identity exposed, he would need to go underground. They would only need Barrowman when we need to see his unmasked face, otherwise, stuntmen could take up the slack. Then again, how do we know Tommy's not in a coma, to be revived by monks at a later date. I think the mystery woman who hired Fyers is Talia (though Nyssa Raatko, Lady Shiva, and Whisper A'Daire are also strong possibilities), and Leviathan organization will be season 2's big bad, with Slade, Deadshot, and the surviving Merlyn connected to the group in some capacity.
            I'm pretty sure that the rebar through his chest is a good indicator that he's dead, not to mention the debris that probably continued to fall on him. Only way Tommy ever comes back is if they go way over into further into Sci-Fi with cloning or the supernatural with a Lazarus Pit. Next season is probably going to start with a funeral or two. The chance of Malcolm still being alive is a million times greater than Tommy's.
            Last edited by PHOENIXZERO; 05-16-2013, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Sacrifice

Fantastic episode. The only character I knew was safe was Oliver, and there were times when I was worried that it would be Dig (facing Malcolm), Moira (assassinated after revealing The Undertaking), and Detective Lance. I almost cried when I saw it was Tommy - he was such a loveable character. I am glad though that they did not force Tommy into the villain role - he got a death anyone would be proud of. A few questions I have: 1) Is Malcolm still alive? I find it hard to believe they'd kill off Arrow's comic archnemesis after only 1 season 2) We never found out who Fryers was working for on the island, and I have no clue who it is. Those high-heeled shoes in the last episode were the last thing I expected. 3) Any ideas on who the villain will be for next season? Malcolm again, Slade, or someone totally new? Perosnally I am hoping they explain Malcolm was an agent of Ra's al Ghul. All in all a fantastic episode, and the single best season of television I have ever seen. If only Thea would have been in Tommy's place!

Comment

Originally posted by super_j_man
                Whatever happens with Lauliver next season, I just hope that it won't be some secret and lies crap like Smallville season 2. And hopefully they'll stay together and not yo-yo back and forth.
                My worst nightmare lol.

Comment

Originally posted by PHOENIXZERO
                  No way Malcolm survives with everything but I do think they left the door open a crack just in case. Their killing off Tommy was certainly unexpected and resolving the whole love triangle thing that other shows relied heavily on so soon in the show's life. Then again, nothing stops them from throwing other characters to stir things up.
                  Good point about the love triangle. I was glad it came to an end too. But now I am worried that they might look at Felicity-Oliver-Laurel as a new triangle.

Comment

OK I want to know the two people who gave this 1/10. Really to you it stunk that bad?

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                      OK I want to know the two people who gave this 1/10. Really to you it stunk that bad?
                      They might still be mad that Tommy died and voted for 1/10 just because it says "She's not worth it" the "She" meaning Laurel.

I personally voted 10 since it was the best episode of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                        Whenever there's a poll like that, there's gonna be some contrarian/hecker/troll that will pick one just for the helluv it.

Comment

I need to re-watch it cause my signal was screwed up alot.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathBySpoiler
                            1) Is Malcolm still alive? I find it hard to believe they'd kill off Arrow's comic archnemesis after only 1 season.
                            He probably is. Killing off both Merlyns would be pushing it.
                            We never found out who Fryers was working for on the island, and I have no clue who it is. Those high-heeled shoes in the last episode were the last thing I expected.
                            Probably either Talia or Lady Shiva, but she could be an original creation that serves as a temporary proxy for Natas or Vandal Savage.
                            Any ideas on who the villain will be for next season? Malcolm again, Slade, or someone totally new?
                            Malcolm will likely be in hiding, and licking his wounds, but he wasn't doing this alone. For my money, I think it was Natas who trained Merlyn at Nanda Parbat, and he has other students, throughout the world, seeking to chaos various forms of chaos. I could definitely see a Slade/Roy angle similar to the Slade/Robin in Teen Titans animated. I could also see an Arkham City type situation forming with the part of the Glades that was destroyed. But then businessman Curtis Knox (the Arrowverse version of Vandal Savage) comes in on his white stallion, intending on "saving" the Glades. But he, of course, has a sinister agenda. In the current comics, there's a guy calling himself Komodo that wears an outfit similar to Malcolm's, his true identity is unknown, he's schooled Oliver at least twice, and even after sustaining grievous injuries (including being blinded in one eye), he still had enough energy to escape capture. It occurs to me that there could be anyone under the Dark Archer's mask, we might not know for sure if Malcolm is back or if someone else is using the Dark Archer motif to mess with Oliver's mind, that's something they could play with for a while.

Comment

Great season and finale and will be watching next season...Ten!

Comment

10/10 but I didn't like tommys death if he is dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎