11 21.15%

7 13.46%

1 1.92%

0 0%

2 3.85%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - This episode has failed this city.

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic episode. One of, if not the, best episode of the season. Can't wait for the finale! The only bad thing is...then the long wait for the premiere of season two. Ugh.
    Last edited by badraven; 05-10-2013 at 03:27 AM.

What an episode. Right on par with last week's I felt. Thoughts:

- I loved the Oliver-Diggle-Felicity teamwork in this episode. Great lines and some ingenious planning. Emily was funny as the burger deliverer, but Stephen had his moments too (with that annoying guy in the elevator ).

- The Undertaking storyline moved along perfectly. Leaves us with so many questions going into the finale. The Malcolm/Oliver confrontation, Walter and Moira's actions from now on, Quentin following the lead on Felicity and Thea and Roy's possible involvement.

- The island arc was also very eventful. Can't believe Yao Fei was killed.

- Not sure what to make of the Oliver/Laurel scenes. In a way (and even though I am an Oliciter), I'm glad they got it out of their system now instead of dragging it on until next season. But it creates the inevitable love triangle drama with peeping Tommy. It's just sad that the main purpose for the Laurel character right now is to triger Tommy's turn to the dark side. Both characters deserve better imo.

All in all, an awesome penultimate episode. 9/10 (still saving the 10, hope Sacrifice will earn it )

I also thought the one night stand between Oliver and Laurel was kinda wasted and not needed at all for this episode. It was a very wasted chess piece to help push Tommy over the edge. Too much Peter Parker stealing Mary Jane and then Killing Norman Osborne reference

Posting Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RightWingConspirator View Post
    About Malcom's "Oh No" comment....I think he's just pained over the fact that he's going to have to kill his son's best friend. Yeah, they're not best friends at the moment, but they were working on it, or so he thought.
    Considering they said the conversation between Malcolm and Oliver at the beginning of the finale will be a bit of a shocker (there's a link in the speculation thread for this episode, I think), there's gotta be more to it. Besides, why would he let Oliver wake up if he's just going to kill him? Why would he take the chance Oliver would escape and try to stop him again unless there's something more?

New In Town
    I will mention this in more detail this weekend on my podcast but the "Oh no" from M.M. is not out of fright more so a thing of there isn't many people that can destroy me but this person is trained, he is my child's best friend, and if anyone has conviction to do it, he is the one that can actually succeed in leaving me dead.
    Last edited by WSK9002; 05-09-2013 at 02:54 AM.

New In Town
    Quote Originally Posted by WSK9002 View Post
    I will mention this in more detail this weekend on my podcast but the "Oh no" from M.M. is not out of fright more so a thing of there isn't many people that can destroy me but this person is trained, he is my child's best friend, and if anyone has conviction to do it, he is the one that can actually succeed in leaving me dead.
    And also: "I created this by killing his father."

Such a great episode. The first one where my mind never drifted off at some point in a long time.

Mild Mannered Reporter CK_ALL_DAY's Avatar
    I wonder if Roy will have anything to with helping Oliver escape? Actually Oliver will probably escape on his own but it would be neat if Roy tracked him down to where Malcolm was keeping him.

I actually can't wait to see the finale, there were so many cliffhangers in that episode!

I wonder what's going to happen to Ollie now that Malcom knows he's the hood...

10!

I may have to rewatch it cause my signal cut out a few times but did they actually show Fyers' boss? It looked like a lady sitting at a desk? Loved Felicity in this EP and enjoyed the stuff with Thea and Roy alot too.

New In Town
    Today's Arrow's episode is a nod to batman begins. Malcolm Merlyn uses the device from Uni dac industries to topple the glades is very much like Ra's Al Ghul using the Microwave emiter to destroy Gotham City which Wayne Enterprises created. Malcolm is a combination of Bruce Wayne in an evil way and Ra's Al Ghul.

New In Town
    Merlyn Global got control over Uni dac industries and Malcolm Merlyn needed the applied science division of Queen Consolidated to build the seismic device that will be used to destroy the Glades. What plan Malcolm Merlyn has hatched out.

Forum Whiz
    Great episode. That action scene between Malcolm and Oliver at the end was really great, Oliver got completely owned. Liked the Roy/Thea scenes. Moira scenes are always superb- she is probably my favorite character. I'm also really intrigued by the woman behind the desk...

The only thing I didn't like or perhaps just didn't care about was the Oliver/Laurel scenes. The only time I enjoy Laurel is when she isn't involved in this stupid love triangle. She is much better away from both Tommy and Oliver I think.

Posting Pro
    Here are a few observations concerning the "Darkness on the edge of town" episode. I will again give it a ten out of ten.

I don't think that anyone here has mentioned this yet, but the title of this episode is taken from the 1978 Bruce Springsteen song/album with the same name. I can't say if this is intentional, but many of Springsteen's songs deal with blue collar or poor people and their lives and (broken) hopes. If we consider that the main theme of the concluding episodes is the destruction of the Starling city slums ("the edge of town") by a billionaire madman, it is quite a fitting title IMHO. Also, the lyrics of this particular song seem to fit many of the characters in "Arrow" in some way or another-Moira, Oliver, Malcolm-because they all have a secret that they need to keep:

Everybody's got a secret Sonny
    Something that they just can't face
    Some folks spend their whole lives trying to keep it
    They carry it with them every step that they take
    Till some day they just cut it loose
    Cut it loose or let it drag 'em down
    Where no one asks any questions
    Or looks too long in your face
    In the darkness on the edge of town

As for the action, there were so many things happening in this ep that I felt that I was watching a feature movie rather than a regular forty-minute television episode. Kudos to the writers and the directors for being able to provide this "big movie feel", despite the fact that they are surely working on a much tighter budget/schedule than what is customary for a normal feature movie.

The Laurel/Oliver "night of bliss/unbridled passion". I've been waiting for Laurel and Oliver to get together since episode one, so I was really glad to see them *finally* giving in to their feelings for each other...so although this scene was a bit soap opera-ish, I still did a fangirl swoon! As Oliver himself said, they had been doing "this dance" for far too long, and as the season moved to its end there had to be some kind of resolution. I also think that both Stephen and Katie were really good in their scenes together. Of course, we all know that their night of bliss will remain a "one night stand"-Oliver went to Laurel because he thought that after he had stopped the Undertaking he could hang up his hood, but we all know that it ain't so. That's why I'm willing to bet quite a large sum that, as far as Oliver is concerned, the sacrifice he will have to make is to stay away from Laurel. Anyway, I'm satisfied to see that Laurel/Dinah and Oliver have been established as the main couple, not only because it honors the comic book canon, but also because it fits with their own back story, as it has been presented in the show so far.

Having Diggle dress up as the Hood once again and interrogate Moira was quite a surprise, and a nice plot twist-Oliver and Diggle were actually acting out their own little play in that scene....though, as Felicity pointed out, Diggle was maybe a bit too rough on Oliver! I personally can't bring myself to despise Moira, despite everything she has done, and I felt even more for her in this episode. In my eyes she is not evil...she is rather a victim of circumstances, and I felt sorry for her when Walter left.

I still have a bit of a problem with "Dark Tommy"-the sudden change from a basically trusting and decent stand up guy to the hostile and somewhat sinister Harry Osborn wannabee is not convincing IMHO, maybe because we haven't really been seeing things from his POV at all in the later episodes. Tommy's character needs to be fleshed out more to make the transformation more convincing or believable, so let's hope we'll see some more of that in the season finale.

There have been complaints about the lack of continuity in "Arrow", but in this ep the writers showed that they are indeed able to maintain continuity over several episodes. I'm thinking of the Island scene where Oliver realized that the "exchange student" that he refused to help a few episodes back was in fact one of Fyer's employees. This shows that he did make the right choice after all at that stage in the plot.

Have to stop here! I'm really looking forward to seeing the Dark Archer/Green Archer showdown in the season finale , especially since it involves shirtless Oliver in leather pants, tied to the ceiling! I'm also curious about the lady in the high heel shoes....will she be one of the "Big Bads" of the coming season?
    Last edited by evaba; 05-11-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Board Master
    The Laurel/Oliver "night of bliss/unbridled passion". I've been waiting for Laurel and Oliver to get together since episode one, so I was really glad to see them *finally* giving in to their feelings for each other...so although this scene was a bit soap opera-ish, I still had a fangirl swoon!
    I don't actively ship them, but I accept they are the endgame couple, and I'm fine with them, and I don't ship Oliver with anyone else. I did like Laurel/Tommy, but we all knew that had an expiration date, and I actually liked the way it ended. But this just felt clunky to me - like it only happened because we were at the end of the season. Hopefully, they won't have them break up again and go right back to the "dance" next season. I do not want a hamster wheel where they never get anywhere or keep retreading the same ground over and over again.

Having Diggle dress up as the Hood once again and interrogate Moira was quite a surprise, and a nice plot twist-Oliver and Diggle were actually acting our their own little play in that scene
    At first I wondered if it was Malcolm (and he was going to kill Walter), but when I saw those two tied to chairs, I figured out what was going on. Guess kidnapping runs in the family. I am surprised that Oliver didn't try to see if Walter knew anything, though. Not that I'd expect him to kidnap Walter, after what he's just been through. Oh, I do like Walter. I'm sorry the character seems to be leaving, but I can't expect him to stay in that marriage. I generally love ST's performances as Moira and right now I'm wondering - will she be held accountable for the things she's done? I know they sort "excused" her for Frank, by having had him plant the bomb (neither one of them is excused, IMO), but she still hired (or had hired) kidnappers and assassins that killed innocent people.

I still have a bit of a problem with "dark Tommy"-the sudden change from a basically trusting and decent stand up guy to the hostile and somewhat sinister Harry Osborn wannabee is not convincing IMHO, maybe because we haven't really been seeing things from his POV at all in the later episodes. Tommy's character needs to be fleshed out more to make the transformation more convincing or believable, so let's hope we'll see some more of that in the season finale.
    I don't find it convincing, either. He's angry and bitter and jealous, I'm sure, but he's done nothing to indicate he's "dark" or evil or would hurt people. So if he does hurt people, I'll call it out-of-character. I could maybe be sold on him going after Oliver and Diggle and Felicity - if he's come to hate Oliver and blame all three of them for the murders Oliver perpetrated. But I can't see him hurting innocent people - he still has issues with Oliver's killing of criminals. He'd really have to have a mental break and no longer be sane for me to buy that happening at this point in time. Whether or not he'd enact vengeance for his father (against Oliver, not innocent people) would depend on how much he knew about what his father was planning to do and had already done. Does the public know the Dark Archer exists, has killed people, and was the one that took those hostages? I accidentally deleted that ep from my DVR and cannot remember.
    Last edited by Liriel; 05-09-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast