No announcement yet.

Thoughts/Theories from Haunted

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts/Theories from Haunted

Just finished part 4 (paper back) of haunted and here are some thoughts/theories.

First, I was really surprised that Bart turned out not to be Barry Allen, and that he really is Bart/Impulse from the comics. Also, that Barry and Wally exist still in this universe and that we might be seeing them soon. Next, I was surprised that Bart would be Smallvilles version of the Barry heroic sacrifice in this universe (much like how in Young Justice it's Wally who makes the heroic sacrifice). I like how this makes Smallville's Bart stick out from other incarnations and creates a special sentimentality to this particular incarnation. I will put it as an official record, because Young Justice and this issue, Bart Allen is officially my top favorite Flash. Both incarnations really show where you can take this character and how he stands out from the other flashes.

Now for some theories (which my have already been expressed on the forum)

Did Bart really die?
    In the comics, Bart is from the future who gets sent back to time. In Smallville's version, Bart is not from the future and existed in time along with Barry and Wally (in fact was a Flash before them). What if, to line up with the comics, Bart doesn't die, but in fact gets transported to the future, or sent there by the speed force. So as to line up with the comics.

Who is the Black Racer/Flash
    It never really gives us an explanation who to who this Black Racer is. What if the Black Racer is really from Earth 2? In fact, what if the Black Racer is really Bart of Earth 2. What if when the Earth 2 flash found out that he could run into the speed force, he went out hunting the other flashes in that universe to devour their power. Next, after now gaining these speeds, he now has the ability to run into alternate universes (like the early flash comics) and also run back into time (going back to the Max Mercury era).
    The reason I bring up him being an Earth 2 Flash is because we never meet an Earth 2 Flash only Ultraman and an Earth 2 Green Arrow. Secondly, when Bart and BR touch each other an explosion happens (possibly because of positive and negative matter touching)

Back to Theory 1 Theory
    What if Black Racer wasn't Bart of Earth 2 but was another Flash of Earth 2 (Jay or Max Mercury) and Bart is in Fact Barry Allen of Earth 2. In Smallville's origin of Bart we are only told that Bart only remembers what happens after he receives his powers. What if Bart didn't receive his powers when the light struck him. What if that was him running from one universe to the next? And an effect that it had on him was memory lose (similar to Days of Future past in X-MEN with Bishop). And his purpose was to track done the Black Flash and stop him from killing any more Flashes. But he forgot. This then could set Bart as being Barry Allen still, but an alternate version of the character.

Just some thoughts.

But when Clark and Bart first met, didn't Clark ask about Bart's parents? And Bart responded they didn't really understand or know how to deal with him, so he just took off and never stopped running.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceleader
      Just finished part 4 (paper back) of haunted and here are some thoughts/theories.

First, I was really surprised that Bart turned out not to be Barry Allen, and that he really is Bart/Impulse from the comics. Also, that Barry and Wally exist still in this universe and that we might be seeing them soon. Next, I was surprised that Bart would be Smallvilles version of the Barry heroic sacrifice in this universe (much like how in Young Justice it's Wally who makes the heroic sacrifice). I like how this makes Smallville's Bart stick out from other incarnations and creates a special sentimentality to this particular incarnation. I will put it as an official record, because Young Justice and this issue, Bart Allen is officially my top favorite Flash. Both incarnations really show where you can take this character and how he stands out from the other flashes.

Now for some theories (which my have already been expressed on the forum)

Did Bart really die?
      In the comics, Bart is from the future who gets sent back to time. In Smallville's version, Bart is not from the future and existed in time along with Barry and Wally (in fact was a Flash before them). What if, to line up with the comics, Bart doesn't die, but in fact gets transported to the future, or sent there by the speed force. So as to line up with the comics.

Who is the Black Racer/Flash
      It never really gives us an explanation who to who this Black Racer is. What if the Black Racer is really from Earth 2? In fact, what if the Black Racer is really Bart of Earth 2. What if when the Earth 2 flash found out that he could run into the speed force, he went out hunting the other flashes in that universe to devour their power. Next, after now gaining these speeds, he now has the ability to run into alternate universes (like the early flash comics) and also run back into time (going back to the Max Mercury era).
      The reason I bring up him being an Earth 2 Flash is because we never meet an Earth 2 Flash only Ultraman and an Earth 2 Green Arrow. Secondly, when Bart and BR touch each other an explosion happens (possibly because of positive and negative matter touching)

Back to Theory 1 Theory
      What if Black Racer wasn't Bart of Earth 2 but was another Flash of Earth 2 (Jay or Max Mercury) and Bart is in Fact Barry Allen of Earth 2. In Smallville's origin of Bart we are only told that Bart only remembers what happens after he receives his powers. What if Bart didn't receive his powers when the light struck him. What if that was him running from one universe to the next? And an effect that it had on him was memory lose (similar to Days of Future past in X-MEN with Bishop). And his purpose was to track done the Black Flash and stop him from killing any more Flashes. But he forgot. This then could set Bart as being Barry Allen still, but an alternate version of the character.

Just some thoughts.
      I honestly still think Smallville Bart is Barry even though BQM mentioned Barry and Wally and those three speedsters that Bart saw for the following reasons(three of the episodes that had Bart with alot of Flash/Barry similarities-"Hex","Prophecy" and "Haunted" were written by BQM :

- Smallville Bart, like Barry, is a founding members of the Justice League.

-Also, to note, until "Haunted" there doesn't seem to be any other speedsters other than Jay Garrick, leaving Bart to be the second superhero speedster, just like how Barry Allen is the second Flash and in "Run" to "Doomsday" it seems like he was only Flash/Speedster the silver age until Wally became Flash.

- In Run and Haunted Bart says lines like "I'll be there like a flash!" and "Back in a Flash" which in media like Young Justice and comics, Barry is known to frequently say.

-He is nearly the same age as Clark, only a little younger(BQM revealed on his twitter he was only around a year younger that Clark and he was around 23 during "Haunted"). In the comics Barry and Clark were also around the same age.

- In his first appearance, Bart Allen calls himself the fastest man alive a few times in "Run" and "Haunted", something Barry is known as.

-In his first appearance, Bart at first goes at the same speed as Clark but is revealed to be much faster than him. In The Flash: Rebirth, Barry is shown as being much faster than Superman, easily outstripping him as Superman tries to keep up with him. He claims that those times that the races between them were close were "for charity".

- In his first appearance, Bart's Smallville explanation on how he got his powers is much more in line with Barry Allen's origin(as well as Wally's-he was a kid when he was struck by lightning/doused with chemicals, post crisis Wally had a difficult childhood like Bart claimed he did in "Run" before saying he doesn't remember his life before the accident in "Haunted", Smallville Bart was a mix of DCAU Wally/80s Wally when he was Flash and hit the lottery and went public with his identity, etc), who was doused in chemicals then struck by lightning, as opposed to Bart's, who was born with his abilities, as well being Barry's grandson.

-In his first appearance, Bart's hair color is blonde and short, similar to Barry Allen's hair in the comics and how John Wesley Shipp who portrayed Barry Allen on the TV series The Flash. In the Season 11 comic Haunted,Bart shaved his hair back to his short blond hair, in order to cut down drag, similar to what swimmers do in order to be more aerodynamic when he runs coincidentally causing it to look similar to Barry Allen's hairstyle in the comics.

-, Bart's first Impulse costume and his casual clothing similar to the Barry Allen costume from The Flash TV series, as well as the Comics costume. While the season 11 Impulse costume was a mix of his comic Impulse costume, The first SV Impulse costume and Jay Garrick Pre-Flashpoint/New 52 Jay Garrick costume.

-In Toyman's files, Bart is listed as being a Central City native, as well as having blonde hair, blue eyes and the ability to pass through solid objects, similar to Barry in the comic books.This ability was later shown in Haunted when one of the Brain and Monsieur Mallah's monkeys hits Impulse so hard it sends Bart flying at a wall but he was able to move fast enough to vibrate through the wall before crashing into it.

- In Prophecy,Captain Cold is seen to have a grudge with Bart just as Black Manta does with Aquaman. In the comics, one of Barry Allen's most famous Rouges is Captain Cold (although he has fought Wally West and Bart Allen many times).

-Bart's death in 'Haunted" like you said resemble Barry's death in Crisis of Infinite Earths and a little like what happened to Bart and Wally in Infinite Crisis(helps when this is a 'Crisis' season and BQM said he was taking elements from.various crises stories from Crisis of Infinite Earths to Infinite Crisis to Final Crisis, etc)

-When the explosion seem to have disintegrated the Black Flash and Bart, only the Flash symbol, blasted into the ground remains.

I feel like SV Bart could return like Barry in Final Crisis or Bart in Infinite Crisis and take up the mantle of The Flash and help heal Jay's leg through the Speed Force energy.(honestly at the beginning Haunted feel like when Bart met Jay it was going to be a passing of the Flash mantle as well as Jay going to help restart the JSA and becomes the Flash again).

Comment

Yes, that is what he told Clark in season 4. But in the comic it is revealed that he actually has no idea who he was until he got his powers. His memory is wiped, it appears.
        With this new information in mind, when taken into account that he also was a thief, Bart very well could have been telling a lie to Clark about his parents. Not that Bart is a chronic liar, but at that time he didn't know who Clark was, and was unsure of his own origins, and as well of knowing about the Black Flash's presence, he didn't want to reveal to Clark his dark secrets.
        We also have the life from RUN where he tells Chloe that he is from the future, sure he was joking at the time, but if he has had memory lose, it is possible that his subconscious still retains information which could be psychologically why he made that pass.

Comment

ironman29758
          I really thought that Bart was Barry Allen in Smallville Universe, it didn't make sense to me for him not to be, and it seemed kind of out there if he really was Bart from the comics instead.
          But Miller, to me, has made it pretty clear in Haunted that Bart and Barry are two separate people and that Smallville continuity is not necessarily DC comics continuity.
          I think that it is verified in Haunted that he isn't Earth Smallville Barry Allen due to:
          Barry Allen's ID was a stolen ID and did not belong to him. We learn that he took those names because he heard the names Wally West, Jay Garrick, and Barry Allen when he received his powers.
          Jay also heard their names when he received his powers, including Bart's name along side Barry Allen's and Wally West's.
          Additionally, we saw 3 other speedsters running behind Bart in the fourth issue (which we are presume are Wally West for sure, Barry [in speculation], and a third [?])

So that's what I took away from Haunted and what the writer wanted the reader to take away from it, that Bart and Barry are two separate characters.
          As I pointed out, we are left with three options then when considering Bart Allen
          1. He is from Smallville's current timeline and became a heroic Speedster, named Impulse, before Jay passes the name down to Barry (That Barry and Wally never became flashes beforehand is due to their fear of the Black Flash). Bart then, in Smallville Universe, goes down in history to be the second "flash" after Jay and the great legacy is through him, instead of Barry. And additionally the theme of the heroic sacrifice is accounted to Bart (Not Barry, just like it is accounted to Wally in Young Justice).
          2. Option A, He could be from the future and a descendant of Barry Allen, which lines up with his comic counterpart, who was sent back in time to defeat the Black Flash (this then begins to create a time paradox, perhaps, because if now Barry is the new Flash taking the mantle from Bart, how did he become Flash in the first place with Bart not coming back in time.
          Option B, the New 52 origin of Bart is still undetermined other than he suddenly appeared in the present with his powers. Does not know how got his powers or really who he is other than he believes that he is somehow connected to Barry Allen's the Flash, and then calls himself Kid Flash. It is a hypothesis from Static Shock that he is perhaps from the future.
          3. Or he could be Barry Allen, just of another dimension and time Line. And Black Flash could also be another Barry from another Dimension (earth 3). Which is why when they touch an explosion takes place.

Comment

ironman29758
            I really thought that Bart was Barry Allen in Smallville Universe, it didn't make sense to me for him not to be, and it seemed kind of out there if he really was Bart from the comics instead.
            But Miller, to me, has made it pretty clear in Haunted that Bart and Barry are two separate people and that Smallville continuity is not necessarily DC comics continuity.
            I think that it is verified in Haunted that he isn't Earth Smallville Barry Allen due to:
            Barry Allen's ID was a stolen ID and did not belong to him. We learn that he took those names because he heard the names Wally West, Jay Garrick, and Barry Allen when he received his powers.
            Jay also heard their names when he received his powers, including Bart's name along side Barry Allen's and Wally West's.
            Additionally, we saw 3 other speedsters running behind Bart in the fourth issue (which we are presume are Wally West for sure, Barry [in speculation], and a third [?])

So that's what I took away from Haunted and what the writer wanted the reader to take away from it, that Bart and Barry are two separate characters.
            As I pointed out, we are left with three options then when considering Bart Allen
            1. He is from Smallville's current timeline and became a heroic Speedster, named Impulse, before Jay passes the name down to Barry (That Barry and Wally never became flashes beforehand is due to their fear of the Black Flash). Bart then, in Smallville Universe, goes down in history to be the second "flash" after Jay and the great legacy is through him, instead of Barry. And additionally the theme of the heroic sacrifice is accounted to Bart (Not Barry, just like it is accounted to Wally in Young Justice).
            2. Option A, He could be from the future and a descendant of Barry Allen, which lines up with his comic counterpart, who was sent back in time to defeat the Black Flash (this then begins to create a time paradox, perhaps, because if now Barry is the new Flash taking the mantle from Bart, how did he become Flash in the first place with Bart not coming back in time.
            Option B, the New 52 origin of Bart is still undetermined other than he suddenly appeared in the present with his powers. Does not know how got his powers or really who he is other than he believes that he is somehow connected to Barry Allen's the Flash, and then calls himself Kid Flash. It is a hypothesis from Static Shock that he is perhaps from the future.
            3. Or he could be Barry Allen, just of another dimension and time Line. And Black Flash could also be another Barry from another Dimension (earth 3). Which is why when they touch an explosion takes place.
            I understand that but there is still part of me that feels like that even there that Bryan introduced 4 elements that suggest otherwise(explanation to the whole fake idea in Run, connecting it to the speed force,Bart not remembering his life before the flash of light, and the three speedsters who were informing Bart something, Steven DeKnight revealed that Bart origin might have been Barry's grandson). But part of me thought he left it kind of open ended to be touched on for a future issues so again anything can stillhappen(Bart is alive, from future,Bart is Barry, etc)

I hope BQM Bart is still alive and in a Final Crisis/Final Crisis: Legion of Superheroes/Infinite Crisis where Bart is revealed to have survive his accident and ended up in a place like Keystone City, Central City, etc alive and either
            A.) Bart gains all his memory back and he is Barry Allen
            Or
            B. ends up in Central and/or Keystone City with all his memories and ends up as Barry Allen, rookie CSI and when he gets his memory back he remembers everything from his time at Impulse, Justice League member and time before accident and ultimately becomes the Flash.

Comment

Yes, that is what he told Clark in season 4. But in the comic it is revealed that he actually has no idea who he was until he got his powers. His memory is wiped, it appears.
              Or there never had been one in the first place.

With this new information in mind, when taken into account that he also was a thief, Bart very well could have been telling a lie to Clark about his parents. Not that Bart is a chronic liar, but at that time he didn't know who Clark was, and was unsure of his own origins, and as well of knowing about the Black Flash's presence, he didn't want to reveal to Clark his dark secrets.
              I think he lied to Clark for the reasons you stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Freawaru
                Or there never had been one in the first place.

I think he lied to Clark for the reasons you stated.
                Well Haunted showed that Bart did tell the truth in a way, just not his parents

A.there was a flash of light or more specifically "I honestly don't know or remember. Nothing from before I woke up with my abilities. Don't look at me like that--I kinda told you, but I didn't want to make a big deal about it. There was a BIG flash of light. Then your name...just like the others...was just there in my head."

and

B. He first found out about Black Flash when Lex had him captive in "Justice" but before he said he thought he speed had some limit and. He didn't have any choice, he had to run faster that he ever had. He didn't know about Black Flash or the Speed Force until Justice and Haunted. Before then he had little to nothing to worry about.

So honestly he could have been Barry Allen in Central/Keystone city or Bart from the future. Untill BQM flatout says it or shows it it's still up for debate.

Comment

Originally posted by ironman29758
                  So honestly he could have been Barry Allen in Central/Keystone city or Bart from the future. Untill BQM flatout says it or shows it it's still up for debate.
                  I agree. All options are still possible.

Comment

In the comics, he became an adult (and assumed the guise of the Flash) and died. He was later resurrected as his old teenage self. Bart could still be alive, within the Speed Force and one day, he'll emerge from it. As time in the Speed Force doesn't work like in our dimension, he'll be a teenager again.

In "Argo", Clark ran into a kid named Bartholomew Allen in the 31 century. Which would hint that Bart is from the 31st century and ended up in 2004, when he got his powers.

However, I would like to bring up another possibility. The character we came to know on Smallville, might not be the real Bart Allen at all. By his own admission, Bart can't remember anything, before waking up with powers. So, how could he have known his own name? His connection to the Speed Force caused him to hear the names "Jay Garrick", "Barry Allen" and "Wally West" in his mind. Which he then used as fake identities. Whose to say, that the same doesn't go for the name "Bart Allen"? Jay Garrick noted that he had heard Bart's name (along with Max Mercury). Kyle Gallner's character could then be a speedster of unknown origin, who took the name of Barry Allen's future grandson. He could be the before mentioned Max Mercury. He could be Eobard Thawne, Johnny Quick or a completely original character.

Granted, those three mysterious speedsters called him "Bart". But, what else would they call a person, who can't remember his own past and has been going by "Bart" for about seven years?

Comment

I think Bryan Q. Miller set it up that he was transported somehow back to the 21st century after he lost his memories as a result of the lightning strike. That this is the Bart Allen from the future and that he would one day re-emerge from the speed force. If he were theoretically to return, maybe he even has his memory restored thanks to the speed force and we get more of his back story. Some sort of hybrid between what we got on Smallville and the comics...well prior to the new 52.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎