Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    I'm back, to whoever reads my ramblings here...

Last night's premiere was AMAZING. Here are my observations/thoughts, and I'll try not to ramble too much:
    • The opening sequence was CRAZY. At first, you really understood how Norman survived since the end of last season, but then—when "Mother" disappeared, reality set in and you saw the house in disarray. CRAZY! I LOVED the music, too, and—of course—Juno! It's amazing how they've managed to keep that dog alive for 4 years...
    • The Madeleine/Norman/Sam/Marion quadrangle - The moment I heard the surname Loomis, I knew Madeleine would take a shine to Norman. Of course, since she's practically a doppelganger for Norma (which I read was intentional), it'll practically write itself. To me, it speaks more to Sam's character, though. He's definitely bad news if she has a twinkle in her eye for Norman already. In Season 4, that same shop was called "Sam's Hardware." Now, it's "Village Hardware." My guess is that, in a last-ditch effort to save the marriage, he allowed her to rebrand and take control of the store? I'm sure that won't work. As for Rihanna, I LOVED the way they handled Marion onscreen. Keeping her shrouded in mystery, even though we know what she looks like, was a smart move.
    • Dylemma - When I saw Emma with the baby, I knew a time jump had occurred. I read online that 19 months have elapsed since the Season 4 Finale. I love the idea that at least ONE member of that family can find happiness. The cinematography felt like a character in Seattle, too. Everything about Dylan and Emma's life was so bright, which was echoed in Norman's fantasy of perfection in the opening sequence. When the doorbell rang, I just knew it would be Caleb. I was surprised that it was Emma who put her foot down and told Caleb to go, but it felt like something Norma would do, which I think was the point. Kenny Johnson's portrayal of Caleb is so tragic. At every turn, his character just seems to never get a break. I still think he'll end up killing himself at some point. I mean, how much more misery can he take before he snaps?
    • The Peeping Tom scene - This was CRAZY, but funny. "I'm just coming, I'll be right there." Thanks for the double entendre, Kerry Ehrin...
    • "Mother" - It was SO great to see Vera Farmiga back onscreen. It's interesting how this version is slowly turning into the domineering person we all know and love to hate from the Psycho film. While I was sad that Norma died last season, I'm ok with it now as long as Farmiga is allowed to chew up the scenery as "Mother."
    • Romero - As soon as we saw the flashback involving the hitman, Jim Blackwell, I knew instantly (before the boat scene) that it was Romero who set up the hit from behind bars. It's going to get ugly FAST! On another note, is it wrong that all of Romero's scenes reminded me of Double Jeopardy with Ashley Judd? Oh, and: Did anyone notice how Norman's boat scene last night mirrored Romero's in Season 4 (after he dumped Bob Paris's in the water)? Now, it's Norman who's in deep. That final shot, where the camera sort of zoomed in and out on the boat, was beautifully shot, too.

Something else I noticed was the color palette for "Mother." I'm sure it's nothing, but: The bow on the back of her apron, as well as all the dishes she and Norman used (in the fantasy scene) were all shades of green instead of the signature blue? Perhaps to show that this character is the opposite of Norma?

Anyway, it was a GREAT premiere. It did not miss a beat, and I can't wait to see how it'll all end!

End of rant.

My thoughts on last night's episode:
    • Romero's "visitor" - I'm sure Norman was the LAST person Alex wanted to see, but it was definitely a bold move on Norman's part. The cat/mouse game seems to be coming naturally to him. My favorite part was when Alex assured him that he's still alive, "For now." I'm sure there's more to come, and I CAN'T wait for that. Oh, and: Nobody rocks a hair net behind bars better than Romero...
    • Caleb's return/discovery - As soon as I saw him get off the bus, I knew it wouldn't be good. The way he found out about Norma was just tragic. To be told by a complete stranger? His reaction at the gravesite, to me, was more restrained than I thought it would be, but it almost got me. It was beyond sad. I thought the face-to-face with Chick was interesting. Chick is a lot more observant than I gave him credit for, that's for sure. To that end, I got a chuckle when it seemed like he was reciting/writing his "novel" about Norman's split personality? It was kind of a "WTF?" moment, but I love how he's inserted himself into the situation.
    • The double date - Another interesting bit. I loved how Norman kept pushing Sam whenever the opportunity presented itself. Norman is definitely becoming more "slippery" for sure.
    • Mother's "debut?" - The ending was INSANE! It practically wrote itself. Chick's presence was definitely unexpected, but strangely welcome. I think it's smart that the writers have chosen him to "witness" the madness. I can't wait to see what happens next week. As for "Mother," she really knows how to dress... The wig was definitely the icing on the cake, at least for me.

An honorable mention goes to the costume department. Vera Farmiga looked AMAZING with that white shirt/red lipstick combo. Her "disguise" when she appeared inside the bathroom was hilarious, too. Hooray for new costume changes. On another note—and I totally forgot to mention this last week—but: Denial is a REALLY powerful thing. It's so interesting and SAD how Norman actually believes that Norma has faked her death when he clearly understands that she's dead.

Theory: Sam said he was in real estate and that he had a "friend" in Seattle who worked in the business. I'm starting to wonder if this "friend" is actually Emma? If it's not Caleb who informs them about Norma's death (and Emma's mother's fate), does she have a connection to Sam somehow that would bring them both to town later on? It's a long shot for sure, but I don't think Sam/Madeleine being from Seattle is a coincidence. I guess we'll have to see, though.

Anyway, it was a great episode. I can't wait for next week!

What an episode last night!

My (meaningless) thoughts:
    • The "Aftermath" - Everything about the opening sequence was CRAZY! Chick Hogan is one cool cucumber... Seeing his reaction to "Norma/Mother" was interesting. As the two talked, I couldn't help but notice a little sexual tension between them? It looked like Chick was getting a little turned on by Norman's outfit the longer their conversation went on, at least to me.
    • Romero's escape - As soon as he turned his back on Doug in the bathroom, I KNEW it was on! It's just too bad that he was shot by the very observant teenager in the woods. I'm sure the kid's mother will nurse him back to health, but: Romero is a dog with a bone. I know he won't get give up until he avenges Norma.
    • Caleb's final performance - Some of his final scenes were tragic. However, I was glad the writers clarified that he understood that it was really Norman dressed as Norma. Even so, I was glad he was able to have a final goodbye with Norma, in a way. The moment I saw Chick fiddling with his phone, I knew Caleb was history. Still, I think he lived A LOT longer than he was supposed to. I really thought, especially last season, that he'd end up committing suicide, but this works too. I'm sure Norma will be very appreciative!...
    • Chick the writer - As soon as I saw the close-up on the vintage typewriter, Chick's behavior over the last two episodes made SO much sense. At first, I thought there might be a very slim chance that Chick was actually a retired psychotherapist, but "true crime" writer works too. This has to be an homage to Robert Bloch's novel, right? Or, will that "novel" be the novel we all know by the time the Series Finale airs?
    • Norman - I was so glad to get confirmation that Norman CAN transition into Norma without the get-up, mainly because this is true for most people who actually suffer from Dissociative Identity Disorder. I love the emerging tug-of-war between the two personalities. I also love how they're handling scenes between the two, like the bar scene from last week. SO good! I have to say, too, that Freddie Highmore has great legs!

It was a great episode. It kind of felt like the perfect storm for tragedy was starting to take shape. I can't wait to see what happens next!

End of rant.

Well, last night's episode was pretty good, but definitely a SLOW burn.

My observations:
    • Romero lives - Of course, we all know he would—at least long enough to avenge Norma. Talk about resourcefulness. The return of Maggie Summers (Keith Summers' sister) was a surprise, but made perfect sense. Once Romero recoups, it's ON!
    • Chick's tantrum/friendship with Norman - What a character Chick has become. I found his tantrum—after being asked to leave by Norman—slightly hilarious, but the heart-to-heart they had was the highlight of the episode for me. After seeing Chick's "home," it's no wonder he wanted to move in with Norman! The quip about Norman needing to wipe his feet before he entered busted me up. In all seriousness, Chick's response to Norman's "plea" for help was tragic. I could tell it really touched Chick in a deep way. You really got the sense that these two people NEEDED each other at the end. It was great.
    • Norman's dinner date with Madeleine - It was so REFRESHING to see Norman take a stab at normalcy in the midst of all the madness. The scene (with the dresses) at the hardware store was AWKWARD. "Here are my dead mother's dresses. Will you wear them for me?" Ok! We all knew the date would end horribly, but I can't wait to see what happens next. "Mother" definitely made an appearance at the end, right(?) so who knows. I think Mrs. Loomis's days are numbered, though!

Other tidbits:
    • Max Thieriot did a GREAT job directing this episode. That shot of Romero running into the field in the dead of night was STUNNING. Kind of a metaphor, too. Romero's situation is so bleak, but he ran straight into the darkness.
    • The humor - Only on Bates Motel would a character care more about the perishable groceries in the backseat instead of the decomposing body... While I'm on the subject, did anyone else find it VERY interesting that Chick, seemingly, had a canary bird as a pet? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but, to me, it sort of symbolizes his relationship with Norman, but: Who is the cat and who is the canary? I don't know, I just thought it was interesting. So was Chick's comment that his story would make a great "movie."
    • Brooke Smith as Sheriff Greene was PERFECT casting. Did anybody else notice the contrast in cinematography between her character and Romero's. That shot of him running under the moon and hers with the clear, bright fall backdrop as she rode into the station on her bike. I'm sure her color palette will change the more she's exposed to Norman and the case. Speaking of, how AWESOME was that scene inside the motel office? Norman with his candy corn and someone peeking at the guestbook was VERY Psycho to me. Her gumshoe gumption is either going to put her on the map or get her killed, though!
    • The phone conversation between Norman/Madeleine was so CUTE, wasn't it?
    • Madeleine's stand mixer - I have the hand-held version of that mixer. It's Sunbeam's Heritage model. It's not as quiet as they made it seem. They are LOUD mixers. I want to know how they got it to sound so quiet! Also, I truly hope her cake batter was made from scratch and not a DISGUSTING mix!

Anyway, I enjoyed it, but it ran SO slow at times. Hopefully, the pace will pick up next week.

End of rant.
    Last edited by Aries83; 03-14-2017 at 02:46 PM.

I thought this show was over after Norman glued his mother's eyelids open...

Quote Originally Posted by Glove View Post
    I thought this show was over after Norman glued his mother's eyelids open...
    Do you mean that literally or figuratively?

I will say that it did feel like they painted themselves into a corner by killing of Norma, but this season has been excellent. There are 6 episodes left for Season 5.

Last night was a DOOZY of an episode, especially towards the end! Wow!

The perfect storm for tragedy continues to circle around White Pine Bay. My take on last night's events:
    • Madeleine lives - Contrary to what I expected. I was relieved when she FINALLY confronted Sam. Something tells me that she's going to run back to Norman to beg for his forgiveness at her outburst [in the truck], too. I can understand being upset that Norman wasn't forthcoming, but to get that angry when she knew in her gut that something was off? Totally unfair. I'm sure she's done with Norma's dresses, though!
    • Marion Crane arrives! - This was so surreal to watch unfold on screen. Rihanna's performance was fine, but I can't say the same for Carlton Cuse, who cameo'd as the police officer during the traffic stop. His acting was so AWFUL! I get that maybe it was a wink to the audience, but I would've preferred a regular actor. Did they run out of money and just have him do it? Sorry, Carlton: Please don't quit your day job!
    • Dylemma - I was wondering when Audrey's earring would come back into play. I knew it was only a matter of time before Dylan would spill his guts. Their scenes were ok, but Emma calling Norma a "nut" seemed REALLY out of character to me, especially since I always got the impression she sort of looked up to Norma as a mother figure. Anyway, the s*** is gonna hit the fan when Dylan finds out about Norma's suicide. Speaking of that, how awful for Emma to find out that Norma went out like that...through an online news article. Sad. I know they weren't that close, but still.
    • "Mother"/Norma's activities - This just BLEW my mind. Right after the bartender said, "Hey you," after Norman walked back into the bar, EVERYTHING clicked in my mind. As I watched the flashback scenes with the young man/"Norma," all I could think about was whether or not it was a body double or Freddie Highmore... Those scenes looked pretty intimate. That must've been an interesting conversation between actors before the cameras rolled, if in fact it was Freddie!
    • The episode, for me, ended on the PERFECT note—with the glare of the motel sign enveloping Marion as she pulled up. Pitch-perfect! Nestor Carbonell did a FANTASTIC job directed this episode, too!

Another highlight was seeing Damon Gupton's Dr. Edwards again. I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of him, either. As for Sam Loomis, there are now TWO reasons for him to show up DEAD before the series ends (Three if "Mother" gets involved somehow). To lie to BOTH women like that. What a complete and utter piece of GARBAGE! Men like Sam Loomis are the reason women should stay single! He'll get his, trust me!

It was a great episode, I can't wait for next week!

End of rant.

Last night's episode was INSANE!

If I had to sum it up in one word, I would just say: Anvils (!)

Here are my nonsensical thoughts on some of the events:
    • Dylan's reaction - This was so SAD and heartbreaking to watch. My only criticism is that I thought the tears started flowing a little too quickly. Then, I thought about it and it made PERFECT sense. Throughout the series, Dylan is the one character that always struck me as being more stoic than Norma AND Norman combined. He's always kept his feelings really close to the vest. So, this one thing that he finds out just PIERCES that armor instantly. My heart broke for him. The phone call with Norman was something else. Trying to blame Dylan for the fact that HE didn't notify him. Typical Borderline Personality Disorder at its best!
    • "Mother's" tantrum - This was INSANE (and a highlight). That smile that Vera Farmiga flashed at Norman right after she violently grabbed his face was MENACING! If Farmiga doesn't get any Emmy for this, award shows really are a JOKE! What I also loved about this scene (and others) was how Norman is becoming even more self-aware. He knows that this personality is not Norma. I love that he's trying to break free of its grip, but always just barely.
    • Marion's fate - I'll start with the fact that she survived, unscathed. This was, by far, the BEST choice Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin could've made. They knew they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't. Rihanna, surprisingly, did a VERY good job with what she was given. That tire iron scene was GOLD. Did anyone else laugh when Marion said, "Screw this s***!" or was it just me? This may sound strange, but: Norman shoving her out of the motel and letting her leave was so SWEET, wasn't it? He knew "Mother" would kill her so he literally pushed her out in order to spare her a tragic fate. I enjoyed it. However, part of me wonders if we've truly seen the last of her?
    • The shower scene - This was BRILLIANT! No amount of exclamations, caps, italics, etc., can even sum up how FLOORED I was when this occurred. As soon as Sam touched that coffee-stained shirt, I KNEW it was on! It also made SO much sense. Sam represented EVERYTHING Norman resented about his father and he just had to try and erase (or excise) those memories (cued up by "Mother") from his mind by killing him. Whether it worked was another story, but: It probably didn't help that both the men shared the same name, either. I LOVED the nods to the original scene, with Sam tugging the curtain, falling over, and staring blankly into the camera. It was FLAWLESS!

It also shows that Norman is an equal opportunity type of killer. A man can suffer the edge of his blade just as much as a woman can/would and why not? The role reversal just worked here. I LOVED it.

I'm sure it was a hoot for Austiin Nichols to film, too.

I'm curious about how they're going to fill the remaining 4 episodes, though. I'm sure next week won't be as good as this episode, but I don't care. I'll be watching!

End of rant.
    Last edited by Aries83; 03-28-2017 at 01:00 PM.

My observations about last night's episode:
    • Dylan's return - I knew it was only a matter of time before he showed up in White Pine Bay. The conversation he and Norman had in the kitchen was SO palpable, as was the eye contact. I kept thinking Norman was either going to lunge at him. Part of me was hoping Dylan would just hug him, too. I thought the lack of body contact was interesting. Normally, you'd want to hug your sibling, right? Not in the Bates family, I guess.
    • Dr. Edwards' fate - When the pharmacy tech told Dylan Edwards was missing, my jaw DROPPED. I couldn't believe it! That was definitely unexpected. However, it makes SO much sense. I'm guessing Norman must've killed him that night they talked in the car (I can't remember the episode name, though)?
    • Norman's confession - As soon as Mother took over his body, I knew she would attack Dylan, and even though I knew it was coming, it was still a nail-biter! I was so RELIEVED when he wasn't hurt AND when Norman called 911! I was still shocked, even though some of the promos for this season had hinted he'd be found out. I gasped as soon as he confessed.

I guess the only questions I have are:
    1. Will Norman survive?
    2. Can Dylan "save" him?

Other tidbits:
    • The opening scene - This was so iconic and really set the tone for the rest of the episode.
    • Mother's attitude - Her matter-of-fact attitude was HILARIOUS!
    • The color of the bodybags - Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but: I don't remember Norman/Norma using yellow tape on anything they wrapped bodies in? Plus, it's been implied several times that they love using the shower curtains used in the motel rooms to wrap in. Why did the bags have yellow stripes on them?
    • The corpse scene - This was SO creepy! The only thing I wondered was: How could Norman be sure animals wouldn't rip Norma to shreds?
    • Maggie Summers - Did anyone else think Maggie acted really out of character in this episode? Granted, she's a very minor character, but I remember her not being so pleasant to Norma after she purchased the motel out from under her dead brother. Plus, I don't remember her being that nice to Romero, EVER, but: Whatever.

It ran a little slow in some spots, but it was a pretty solid episode. I can't believe there's only 3 episodes left.

I can't wait to see what happens next. To that end, based on the promo they showed, it looks like Norman will be in police custody by the time Romero shows up to the [deserted] motel. I'm sure he won't like that!
    Last edited by Aries83; 04-04-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Ok. Last night was so INTENSE.

My thoughts about what happened:
    • Norman's interrogation - This was interesting to watch, especially when "Mother" took over. The way "she" mocked Julia Ramos' name was HILARIOUS! Things got real when she blamed Madeleine, though. It's an interesting way to go, but: I was hoping she was going to confess that she was a separate person.
    • Dylan - What I found most interesting about this episode was that both brothers were making confessions. Norman with Sam and Dylan with Norman (to Ramos). Sheriff Greene was smart to tell Dylan about Audrey in a bid to get his cooperation. Even in the most dire situation, the Bates family is still thick as thieves! I'm pretty sure Dylemma will crumble when Emma finds out, so Greene might get at least ONE person on her side.
    • Madeleine - Who else could tell that she knew Sam was dead after locking eyes with Norman? What a CREEPY stare!
    • Chick/Romero - You CANNOT keep Alex down. He's a cat with 9 lives! Ok, full disclosure: When he saw Norma's "ghost" (after entering the house), I f****** lost it! That was so, so SAD! It really affected me. During the commercial break, I kept trying to figure out why. For some reason, that first shot of Norma in the house reminded me of my own mother, who committed suicide. It really to me, and I really felt Romero's sadness/driving force. Then, Chick performed his last monologue. I just KNEW he'd meet his maker via Romero. What I found most interesting about it was that it was almost like Chick wanted to go out like that, to be a part of the "legacy" he talked about. I thought it was a fitting end. I mean, how many times can you go around antagonizing people until you finally cross someone (like Alex) who has nothing left to lose?

Honorable mentions:
    • Freddie Highmore did a GREAT job directing this episode. That shot of the moon right before Romero darted up to the house was STUNNING.
    • Sheriff Greene - I was totally ready to write Jane Greene off as a failed Rent-a-cop—until that scene towards the end when she found out about Audrey's body. As soon as she said, "I want him to feel like he's being watched," I KNEW she had his number. THANK GOD. Her semi-smile at the end, after the rest of the bodies were pulled out of the well, sealed the deal. I don't think Norman/Mother are going to get away with it!

It's anybody's guess as to how it's going to end. Based on the preview, it looks like Norman Bates is headed to trial, which is an interesting way to go. To me, Romero is the wild card. Will he avenge Norma, and—if so—will he go mad in the process?

Anyway, it was a great episode. Can't wait for next week!

End of rand.

My thoughts on last night's episode:
    • Dylemma - The truth comes to light! I knew Emma would take it hard. After he told her, he hugged her (outside the Kings Motel). I think he knew it would be the last time he would do so. Later, when they parted, she paused before closing the door on the room. I got the feeling that she also knew it'd be the last time she saw him. To me, this was echoed when she closed the hotel room door—as if she was closing that chapter for good. Another thing that struck me, after she got back from cremating her mother, was the flashing red light that shone into room. It was very symbolic of how, all of a sudden, their relationship came to a sudden halt. The light was a warning. Also, it really spoke to the clientele of the Kings Motel. Talk about a "red light district"... It's interesting how they use color in this show. Did anyone else notice how the color of the room contrasted with the photos on Dylan's phone as he scrolled through them? The photos were bright, happy, hopeful. However, he's sitting in a room surrounded by darkness.
    • Emma's goodbye to "Norman" - For me, this was the highlight of the episode. The way Freddie Highmore delivered that brief monologue as Emma looked into his eyes was SO creepy and ominous. When she said, "Tell him I miss him," it BROKE my heart. It was SO f****** sad. Some people might think it odd that Emma saw through the "mask" Mother was presenting, but—to me—it made sense. She hasn't been a major character for the past couple of seasons, but she was always a very smart, observant character. Whether she and Dylan stay together is another story, though, but the odds don't look good now.
    • Romero's power play - I can't say that I was stunned that he busted Norman out (in a bid to be taken to Norma's body), but it does make me wonder how his actions will change the narrative of the story (compared to Psycho) as the final episode plays out. Thank God he got away from sex-starved Maggie Summers, though!

Honorable mentions:
    • It's about time someone mentioned Dissociation Identity Disorder, right?!
    • That grin Vera Farmiga had after Ramos said, "I don't believe in hell" was f****** brilliant. If she doesn't get an Emmy for this role, I'll be pissed!
    • The music - I'll never think of Bobby Darin or Tommy James and the Shondells the same way again...

So, I guess I should present how I think the series will end next week. Not because I think I know it all or that my opinion is the only one that matters, but because—in all honesty—I have no clue!

I thought about it a lot last night after the episode was over. Here are a couple theories/predictions:
    • The final scene reveals that the ENTIRE series has been a daydream of Norman's, who has been institutionalized the ENTIRE time—meaning Norma and company are still alive. This would be a little sappy, but I'd be ok with it. The only problem is that it hearkens back to Psycho. Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin have said they are NOT doing Psycho. It would be a good nod to it, though.

OR

A final showdown (between Romero/Norman) occurs at the Bates house, complete with Dylan and Emma (who find out Romero busted Norman out) and:
    • NO ONE leaves alive (Dylan and Emma walk in and find Romero pointing a gun at Norman. Dylan, despite everything, protects Norman by drawing his gun on Romero. Romero shoots and kills Norman AND Emma. Dylan shoots Romero. Having lost his brother AND his girlfriend, Dylan shoots himself. The house becomes the WORST crime scene in White Pine Bay's history).
    • The above scenario plays out, but only Dylan survives. He takes over the motel. With time, he goes "mad" just like Norman.
    • The above scenario plays out, but only Norman survives.
    • The above scenario plays out, but only Romero is killed. Norman is institutionalized.
    • The above scenario plays out. Romero and Norman kill each other. Emma stays with Dylan. They takeover the hotel.

These are just ideas, with the point being that we'll probably get an apathetic ending, which would be absolutely fine with me since this has never been a happy, hopeful series.

I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm so EXCITED for the Series Finale! I CANNOT wait!

End of overblown rant.
    Last edited by Aries83; 04-18-2017 at 11:56 PM.

So sad to see the show is ending. only 1 more episode. Im hoping it not that daydream theory. personally i hate when stuff ends like that cause its basically saying everything you watched is fake and you wasted your time. I could see romero dying. maybe something will happen where they realize hes the one who killed chick and they could use that as a way to say he tried killing norman and norma and he also set up norman up for killing those people. they could atleast connect him to that one dude and say that Norman did kill him but selfdefen se since technically it was. then maybe that dudes wife forgives Norman for wrongfully accusing him and offers to help him with hism ental problems and then the final scene we get the real shower scene with Norman dressed as his mother and he kills her in the shower. They can also have it where she changes her name to avoid the plubicity and uses the name of her husbands mistress. kind of seems likea lot for the final episode tho so probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by superhippie2000 View Post
    So sad to see the show is ending. only 1 more episode.
    Good to see you again, superhippie2000!

I'm bummed it's so close to being over, too. This show has meant SO much to me, mainly for its honest portrayal of mental illness and family drama. I'm going to miss it terribly!

Im hoping it not that daydream theory. personally i hate when stuff ends like that cause its basically saying everything you watched is fake and you wasted your time.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. Since Marion survived, who knows how they'll end it.

I could see romero dying. maybe something will happen where they realize hes the one who killed chick and they could use that as a way to say he tried killing norman and norma and he also set up norman up for killing those people.
    I have thought about the idea that Norman, somehow, manages to frame Romero, but no matter how I try to make it plausible, there are way too many plot holes.

Another idea I had was that the "final showdown" scenario could end with Norman deciding to kill everybody and then claiming self-defense. In other words, he gets away with ALL of it.

I'd be ok with that. It could be a commentary on people these days. The "bad" guy gets away with it while the "good guy" suffers.

I have faith that it'll be good, though. I'm glad they've been given the opportunity to wrap it up properly, too.

Series Finale tonight at 10/9c on A&E!

Well, here are my thoughts on the Series Finale, for the LAST time! ():
    • Romero's fate - This was a given, right? However, it was still suspenseful. The SECOND he turned his back on Norman, I knew that was it. Letting his guard down was his fatal mistake! On the other hand—given how his last altercation with Norman went (The dinner scene after he was first released from Pineview)—you'd think Romero would've realized that Norman was stronger than he made himself appear. If his [Romero's] grief hadn't gotten in the way, it might've turned out differently.
    • Norman's time warp - The SECOND the fantasy sequence started (When Norman woke up in the house), I wanted it to be real SO bad. For a split second, I thought they would end it there. Then, he snapped back to reality. I'm not sure why, but when he said, "Mother, I'm coming" (or something to that effect) and hoisted himself up off of the ground, I busted up LAUGHING. It was HILARIOUS! That wry smile he had just made me FLIP! The look on his face (When he flashed back to the first moment he and Norma arrived in Oregon in front of the hotel/house) was so f****** SAD! In that moment, it occurred to me how powerful the human mind is. The thought that he could actually believe that he was starting over was TRAGIC to me.
    • The FINAL confrontation - Everything about the final sequence was FLAWLESS. I knew there would be a showdown, but I didn't think Dylan would be the one to give Norman his "deliverance." (I really thought that would be Romero). Max Thieriot's performance was INCREDIBLE in this scene, as was Freddie Highmore's. You really felt his desperation/yearning for his brother to find peace. We've all felt that for family, right? It was so SAD. The biggest question I had (after it was over) was: Did Norman choose to die? When I watched the episode the first time, I was so caught up in the moment that I didn't even hear the gunshot (and thought that the gun accidentally went off). After the second viewing, it was crystal clear. When Norman said, "This is how it ends, isn't it?," it was almost like he was giving Dylan permission. It was HEARTBREAKING to watch, but then—when that brief fantasy sequence in the wood started—I felt relieved! When that shot of Norman as a child flashed on the screen, I almost LOST it! I was HAPPY for him, in a way.

I could go on and on about how much I loved that shot of Norman as a child, but I won't. The ending was pretty apt. I can't say that it should've ended any other way.

Other things I noticed/observed:
    • The shot of Norma/"Mother" (right before Regina started walking) shining through the window as Norman sat in the backseat was BRILLIANT.
    • The color contrast in the bar scene / Norman's call from the house. I saw both as reality and fantasy, respectively.
    • The shot of Dylan in front of the near-frozen lake - To me, it symbolized Dylan's state of mind, feeling "frozen"/powerless over what was to come. It was almost like he was staring into the abyss (that both Norman/Romero) descended into and pondering whether he should "jump" in.
    • Dylan's phone call to Emma - He knew he might not make it out of the house alive.
    • Norman carrying Norma's body to the dining room - very Psychoesque!
    • Norma's corpse - I SWEAR that her EYES moved? (That close-up shot after Dylan realized her body was there). If that was intentional, it was BRILLIANT and it really added to the CREEP factor.
    • The color scheme of the dining room - Everything was red. The dining room walls, Norma's dress, Dylan/Norman covered in blood. It also contrasted with Norma's appearance in the fantasy sequence (When she and Norman were reunited); Her dress was pure white, as if to symbolize she and Norman's "second chance" at normalcy in death. At least, that's what I thought.

If I had ONE complaint about the episode, it'd probably have to do with Sheriff Greene. After Norman was kidnapped, she told the deputy to make sure the residences (of Norman/Romero) were checked. Did that EVER happen? Maybe it did off-screen? I don't know, but to not have both places under CONSTANT surveillance when you know there are TWO dangerous people at large was really STUPID! Then again, if that was actually the case, we wouldn't have gotten the final sequence, but STILL. They really threw her (and the department) under the bus... I can forgive it, though.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I liked it and I thought it ended appropriately. I'll miss the show TERRIBLY, but: Life goes on. If anybody ready ANY of my nonsense for 5 years, I just want to say thank you for reading/tolerating it...

I'm checking out now.

I'm off to read some post-mortem stuff about the episode now, but I know this show will be looked back on as one of the best-written of all time!

End of rant.
    Last edited by Aries83; 04-25-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718