Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Vampire Diaries spinoff: The Originals!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vampire Diaries spinoff: The Originals!

Wow, they're actually considering it....

http://www.ksitetv.com/the-originals/tca-2013-mark-pedowitz-talks-about-the-vampire-diaries-spin-off-the-originals/18770

An Originals-centric episode featuring Joseph Morgan and Phoebe Tonkin, shepherded by Julie Plec, will air April 25.

What do you guys think about a spinoff with the originals? Possible crossovers? The end of TVD? Will this mean better or worse storylines for TVD?

Edit: Here's the show's official thread for the spin-off

Last edited by Sugar; 04-04-2013, 05:00 PM.

Totally unecesary. The Originals served teir purpose to fill some blank spots of TVD main storyline. And thatīs it. I donīt see anything interesting coming from how The Orinals came out other then was already told on TVD. Donīt get me wrong! I reeeeally like JMīs Klaus and CHīs Rebeckah and even more DGīs Elijah but considereing that spin-off would be centerd only on Klaus I really donīt get excited abt it.

Comment

I like the ideal. Theres a lot of story that can be told. Plus they can use most of tvd cast. I cant wait.

Comment

Originally posted by rej@ne
        Totally unecesary. The Originals served teir purpose to fill some blank spots of TVD main storyline. And thatīs it. I donīt see anything interesting coming from how The Orinals came out other then was already told on TVD. Donīt get me wrong! I reeeeally like JMīs Klaus and CHīs Rebeckah and even more DGīs Elijah but considereing that spin-off would be centerd only on Klaus I really donīt get excited abt it.
        You obviously just hate the Originals. It is okay. The spotlight can go back to Damon when the Originals move to the better show.

There is much more that can be done with 1,000 year old vampires than there is to do with high school students. I don't understand how you can't see that.

The spinoff isn't only about Klaus. Mark Pedowitz has said that he wants the show to be about the entire Original family.

'The Vampire Diaries' spinoff to focus on dysfunctional Original family dynamics

At Sunday's Television Critics Association press tour, CW President Mark Pedowitz held court to discuss some hot topics, including clarifying some questions about "The Vampire Diaries" spinoff. Though the idea of a spinoff about the Original family has been kicking around for a while, Pedowitz said that ultimately, he and Warner Bros. TV President Peter Roth brought the idea to Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson.

"The genesis of that came from a conversation with Warner Bros. and Peter Roth at the time. I'm a big believer if you have something that's working and you can incubate [it], it's a good way to get pilots on the air," Pedowitz told reporters. "Kevin Williamson said 'Let Julie take a run at it, it's her vision.' ... We're basically going to go and focus on the Original family."

As we'll learn in the April 25 episode of "The Vampire Diaries," Klaus (Joseph Morgan) was one of the founding fathers of New Orleans, making the bustling city the perfect backdrop for a new show. "The [lead] character will be Klaus," Pedowitz confirms. "Hopefully some of his siblings will come along. Klaus is just a great character and the Original family has such great dysfunctional family dynamics, we felt that was a great way to take the show."

Phoebe Tonkin, of course, will be involved in the spinoff as Hayley -- which would take her out of contention for "Amazon," the Wonder Woman origin story pilot that The CW is currently casting. "At the moment Phoebe will be coming on board to the spinoff," Pedowitz says, praising her work on "The Secret Circle." "We wanted to have her on The CW family. At the moment we haven't thought about her in terms of Wonder Woman, but we have thought of her for the spinoff."
        It looks like Caroline will not be on the new show.

I hope that Klaus gets an actual woman, not a girl, for a love interest.

Comment

Doesn't matter to me, I wouldn't watch. I'm almost finished with TVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter
            You obviously just hate the Originals. It is okay. The spotlight can go back to Damon when the Originals move to the better show. .
            What is obvious for me is that you seem not to really read what I post, whatsoever. I never said I hate the Originals, on the contrary I say I like their storyline and I really like Klaus and rebeckah coz they make the antagonic spot of the show. Concerning to Damon, I donīt lie heīs my fave BUT what I realky posted was thhat I wonīt bother watching the Originalīs spinn-off coz Iīm just NOT INTERESTED in learning abt their back story like how they really became vampires and how was Klaus afterlife... Boring, boring and boring IMO. Plus they risk to ruin the character once telling Klausīstory over 1000 years theyīll have to show him (at least once in a while) as a "good" soul
            Like I siad, I thing the Originals served well their purpose on explaining some things in TVD storyline.

Comment

I was really REALLY surprised to find out the CW was seriously considering a spinoff of the originals. Last season I know a lot of the fans were asking about a spinoff, but didn't think they would actually consider it. If I was still watching TVD I might be worried about how the lost of the originals would affect the show, since the originals have been behind the major (and most interesting) storylines since season 2. It would almost be like one of the brothers leaving the show (at least for me). But hopefully for TVD fans, the show has some really major plans to bring in more interesting plots and characters to compensate for the lost of such interesting characters.

I'm kind of half and half on whether a original spinoff would work. I do agree a bit with what rej@ne said above about what could happen to the characters and what kind of storys they would be telling. Would it be set today or would it just be flashbacks to the original's past? I don't know if I would keep watching flashbacks. And I'm not sure what they could do with the characters today. But I'm willing to give it a chance to see what they have planned.

If it is set in today's time, it would work for cool crossovers. So if say...Damon were to leave town, he would go hang out with the originals for a while. He wouldn't completely disappear from the TVD world.

But this does kind of spoil it for Klaus/Caroline fans, since it sounds likes she's not leaving.

Besides Hayley, I didn't realize that other charaters might be leaving the show. I wonder if at the end of this season they are going to clean house and get rid of some characters( besides the originals) and bring in some fresh blood.

Comment

Or theyīll just end TVD for good. Who knows? This Silas plot may work for a while (like The Originals) but for how long? I mean, ok vampires donīt age but the actors do and I donīt thinkTVD is a show to go on for a decade, for onstance... Can you guys imagine Paul (Stefan_ 10 years from now? heīll be like 40/41 years old. And Ian (Damon) will be 44! wow Mid age actors playing a 17 and 23/24 year old charaxters? I donīt think so. TVD is coming to an end. And soon Iīm sure of it.

Comment

You obviously just hate the Originals. It is okay. The spotlight can go back to Damon when the Originals move to the better show.
                  Well, it sounds like Julie Plec will be running this show too. So your assertion that it'll be better than the mess that TVD has become seems kind of dubious.

There is much more that can be done with 1,000 year old vampires than there is to do with high school students. I don't understand how you can't see that.
                  The thing is with the exception of Elijah the originals all act like spoiled, whiny little brats not the 1,000 year old uber vampires they were set up as. Unless their characters are completely rewritten, I doubt they'll be interesting to anyone but their fangirls.

This sounds like a terrible idea designed to pander to the Klaus fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by BorisTheAnimalFan
                    Well, it sounds like Julie Plec will be running this show too. So your assertion that it'll be better than the mess that TVD has become seems kind of dubious.
                    Not really. The actors that play the Originals are much more talented than the TVD cast to the point that I could just watch Elijah drink tea and that would be vastly more interesting than what TVD currently has to offer.

The thing is with the exception of Elijah the originals all act like spoiled, whiny little brats not the 1,000 year old uber vampires they were set up as. Unless their characters are completely rewritten, I doubt they'll be interesting to anyone but their fangirls.
                    I am pretty sure that Mikael and Finn do not act like spoiled, whiny brats. Klaus and Rebekah act that way because they get a lot of screen time. The writers had to mold Klaus and Rebekah to fit into the high school drama that is TVD. I am willing to bet that Klaus would act more mature if he leaves Mystic Falls.

That could be said about TVD as well. Elena going back and forth between Damon and Stefan is fan service. The ghost storyline is fan service. Caroline's gay dad is fan service. Meredith is fan service. And I can keep on listing more examples. TVD is purely fan service at this point.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Not really. The actors that play the Originals are much more talented than the TVD cast to the point that I could just watch Elijah drink tea and that would be vastly more interesting than what TVD currently has to offer.
                        Not really, Daniel Gillies is the only actor who really stands out as spectacular to me. The others are good, but no better or worse than the rest of the cast. TVD has always had excellent actors though.

I am pretty sure that Mikael and Finn do not act like spoiled, whiny brats.
                        Both of them are dead, so I don't know how they'd figure into the new spin off series except in the occasional flashback.

Even so, doesn't most of the fanbase hate those characters anyway?

Klaus and Rebekah act that way because they get a lot of screen time.
                        I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

The writers had to mold Klaus and Rebekah to fit into the high school drama that is TVD.
                        TVD isn't a high school drama and hasn't been for a long time, if it ever was at all.

I am willing to bet that Klaus would act more mature if he leaves Mystic Falls.
                        What brings you to that conclusion?

Klaus' violent mood swings and murderous temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way are part and parcel to his character now. In fact, they seem to be a big part of what his fanbase loves about him. If this new show is nothing but fan service why would Julie change him for the spin off?

That could be said about TVD as well. Elena going back and forth between Damon and Stefan is fan service. The ghost storyline is fan service. Caroline's gay dad is fan service. Meredith is fan service. And I can keep on listing more examples. TVD is purely fan service at this point.
                        So you're saying that an acceptable solution to the terrible fan service that has been plaguing the show for so long is...more fan service?

Comment

Not really, Daniel Gillies is the only actor who really stands out as spectacular to me. The others are good, but no better or worse than the rest of the cast. TVD has always had excellent actors though.
                          No, if you actually watched TVD objectively, you would realize that the actors that play the Originals are superior to the regular cast. Nina only has one facial expression as Elena. She is better at playing Katherine though. Ian's acting is so over the top that he belongs in a cartoon. His eyebrow acrobatics are one of the main reasons that I can't take Damon seriously. Paul is the only good actor of the main trio.

Both of them are dead, so I don't know how they'd figure into the new spin off series except in the occasional flashback.

Even so, doesn't most of the fanbase hate those characters anyway?
                          Mikael is actually loved by most fans and so is Finn to a lesser extent. Rebekah is hated the most. Well, I guess that Esther is hated the most, but she was just used as a plot device mainly.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
                          Klaus and Rebekah have to be written a certain way to fit in with the rest of the characters because they get a lot of screen time. If Elijah and Mikael received as much screen time as Klaus, they would certainly lose some of their old world quality because we would see different sides of them. The writers had to humanize Klaus to justify the amount of screen time that he receives.

TVD isn't a high school drama and hasn't been for a long time, if it ever was at all.
                          Actually, TVD has always been a high school drama.

What brings you to that conclusion?

Klaus' violent mood swings and murderous temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way are part and parcel to his character now. In fact, they seem to be a big part of what his fanbase loves about him. If this new show is nothing but fan service why would Julie change him for the spin off?
                          Klaus usually lashes out because he is always being antagonized. The "heroes" of TVD are constantly antagonizing Klaus. These characters wouldn't be on the spinoff. Yeah, there is a good chance that the spinoff would have antagonists for Klaus, but there is no way that they can be as annoying as the TVD characters. It is impossible to be that annoying. I mean, you would have thought that the Scoobies would have stopped trying to kill Klaus after failing for the tenth time, but they apparently love being mindless drones.

So you're saying that an acceptable solution to the terrible fan service that has been plaguing the show for so long is...more fan service?
                          No, I never said that. Stop drawing drastic assumptions about me. I never offered any sort of solution. I merely said that it is pointless to complain about the Originals being fan service when the entire show is fan service.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowlord367
                            I think this is a good idea. From start to finish, these Originals have been an amazing creation. Well cast, well written, well played. That being said, I think their time on TVD is reaching its conclusion. They've been at least a focus of discussion on the show for at least three years, and its time now for them to leave so we can get back to the characters that the show is actually about.
                            Damon, Stefan, and Elena have been ruined beyond redemption, so it is impossible to get back to the characters that the show is actually about.

Julie Plec has talked about finding redemption for Klaus. Which is a fine goal, just not on TVD. The show where a certain character is responsible for murdering at least four beloved characters is not the same place for them to be "redeemed." Let them embark on their own journey in New Orleans and they can have full center stage, and I think they will use it well and make an interesting show.
                            With that logic, Damon needs to be killed off or moved to another show.

Oh wait, the writers gave up on trying to redeem Damon a long time ago and they expect us to believe that he has grown.

I don't understand why Hayley needs to be a part of this, however. I hope she is still considered for Amazon, because she is perfect for it and very talented.
                            Julie Plec loves Phoebe Tonkin.

Comment

I don't know how I feel about this, yet. But I will definitely watch it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎