Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#5.13 "Diamond of the Day, Part 2" (Series Finale)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they had just not shown Merlin wandering around in the present looking homeless I think I could have believed that after he buried Arthur he went back, spoke to Gwen and convinced her that magic wasn't all bad, but showing that even 1500 years later he's lonely and wandering around waiting for Arthur and not using magic, just made it seem like magic never got legalized. The last image of the show made me feel like Merlin was still in hiding even in the present, and that was a terrible image to end on.

I thought that the scenes between Arthur and Merlin were really well-done. I loved Arthur's suspicion and Merlin's pain at being rejected, and I thought that Arthur's death was actually handled very well, it was just the aftermath of his death that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Comment

The finale made the show seem pointless. Nothing happened. The whole point of the show was Merlin and Arthur restoring magic in Camelot. Arthur was too young to die. It was too soon.

Comment

The series finale airs tonight in the U.S., finally!

(Posters, divert your eyes from spoilers up above ^^)

But once you've all seen it, talk about it! And then... *sob* this forum moves into the Morgue in a few weeks...

Comment

Farewell Merlin

Comment

Finale was good, it broke my heart though. The buildup was amazing and I loved everything, but then the last ten minutes kind of crushed my heart and the ideas I had about how Merlin would end... I hated that Arthur and Gwen didn't really get a proper goodbye too.

Comment

I saw this and I have to admit, I was disappointed. Season 5 has felt like a rejuvenation of the series (with a few exceptions, of course) and I had heard so much about the finale.

I did like how we started right where we left off. And wait, so Morgana used her magic to clear the way for Mordred like that? Why couldn't Mordred have done the same thing?

Emrys to the rescue! Sending the dragon away (what happened to the little guy after that? He just disappeared.) and the lightning strikes were pretty cool. Nice to see Merlin being all 'wizardly'.

Okay, Mordred and Arthur's face off was pretty disappointing, to me. Just like that Mordred slays Arthur? And then Arthur stabs him back? And boom, Mordred's dead? (In that vision thing from before I thought they exchanged words at least?) Just seemed rushed.

And the moment we've all been waiting for--Merlin finally admits to Arthur about his magic. I have to admit I was really angry at Arthur for his reaction. (though I did like his exchange with Gaius, where Gaius called Merlin "the greatest sorcerer ever to walk the Earth" and Arthur was all "Merlin?".) It was also nice to see Merlin finally get to use magic in front of Arthur and a nice callback to the first episode and when they met as well, in the mention.

Gwen finally figures things out as well (about time!), Gwaine sets a trap for Morgana then spills the beans and dies.

And finally Arthur seems to come around and doesn't want Merlin to change and is sorry for how he treated him. "Does that mean you're going to give me a day off." "Two." Ah, how I love the banter!

I was pretty shocked when Merlin used Excalibur to kill Morgana. Once upon a time Merlin would have hesitated, but I guess now he'll do such things.

Okay, most bromantic/shipper moment (possibly of the series) occurred by Avalon. "Just hold me. Please." And, um, I'm pretty sure that Arthur has said thank you to Merlin before so I was a bit disappointed by that (I thought he was going to say something else. Was half hoping for a "I love you" but figured that would be too far fetched. I was hoping for a "you're my best friend" or something though.).

Yay, one more appearance of the Great Dragon (why, exactly, didn't Merlin call him earlier?) and then poor Arthur dies. We all knew it was coming (though I had hoped that he would be taken to Avalon--really Merlin, you just put him in a boat and shoved him on his way?--and perhaps put him in some sort of sleeping trance.). The declaration of Arthur's death in Camelot was fairly touching but seemed a bit premature. I mean, they hadn't heard one way or another?

And then the wipe to modern times (which I'd been spoiled on) and Old!Merlin, obviously waiting for Arthur's return.

I have to agree with several posters here that I was disappointed (there's that word again!) that we didn't get the 'golden age of Camelot' where magic was practiced openly and people like Merlin were accepted. That was always one of the biggest sticking points for me and for that to not even happen? Felt like a letdown. I know there's been talk of a movie (if so, wouldn't it either have to take place in the time of Arthur being King, before he dies, which would mean Merlin would have to keep his magic secret yet? Or it would have to take place in the modern era, which could be interesting.) but if there is we still won't see that age of Camelot where Merlin is accepted. It really bummed me out that they didn't show us that.

So yeah, disappointed is the word that comes to mind.

Comment

Well the movie could have Merlin in our time finding Arthur resurrected and able to time travel to right after Merlin pushes Arthurs dead body off to sea and have past Merlin leave camalot to practice his skills while his past self becomes to wizard of camelot.

Comment

My 2 cents

Just watched the series finale on Syfy - I have to admit that I was not spoiler free for seies 5, I tried but when Syfy took from January to the end of May to show 13 episodes, I got inpatient and started reading this board.
                  So I knew that Arthur would die at the end and was prepared or spoiled or both.
                  I like most commentors on the board felt that the series did not deliver on what it promised from series 1. Thart Arthur would unite the 5 kingdoms, restore magic and bring a time of Albion with Merlin by his side.
                  What was not answered 1. What happens to the white dragon. 2. Does Gwen restore magic to the kingdom? 3. Does Merlin return to Camelot after Arthur dies? You get the feeling that Merlin just hangs around the lake for the next thousand or so years waiting for Arthur to return.
                  Again from series 1, Gaius, Kilgharrah and assorted good and bad witches told Merlin that he's and Arthur destinies were intertwined and that they would bring about the time of Albion. This DID NOT HAPPEN. It did not deliver what was promised.
                  I feel cheated
                  I gave it a 7 but now inretrospect feel I was generous.
                  The 7 was based on the Reveal which was all I could have hoped for. Arthur went though all the emotions you would have expected. Denial, fear, anger, feeling that you did not know this person you had respected and trusted for years and finally that he was the same person who had been by your side all these years but using his magic to help you.
                  If I hadn't been spoiled I would have been waiting for Arthur to be healed by eigher the dragon or Avolan and then a triumph return of Arthur and Merlin to Camelot. And when Arthur died I would have been crushed and felt betrayed that we did not get the ending promised. Sometimes being spoiled is a good thing. Ok I get it, in Arthur legend Mordred kills Arthur but that did not have to be shown here, afterall this was a new take on the Merlin legend. After Merlin turns the tide of battle, Mordred could be seen to escape and then return sometime in the future after Albion is established.

On another note, I actually liked the fight between Mordred and Arthur. Arthur turns preparing to do battle, sees Mordred and hesitates b/c of the feelings he wants had for Mordred. Mordred has no such compulsion, runs his sword thru Arthur. Arthur retaliates tit for tat,Mordred smiles then dies.

ology
                  Instead we got that hodgepodge of crap at the end. We waited 5 years for that?
                  Sometimes you get the feeling that the show runners think it's our show and we can end it whatever way we want, to hell with what the fans expect or want.

An anology I like to use is the original Star Wars triology. Jedi wrapped up the saga in good fashion, the Empirer was dead, freedom was restore to the galaxy,Darth Vador was returned to the good side and boy gets girl. When Jedi ended the audience in the movie theater broke out in applause. Everyone went home with a feel good feeling. We all got the good ending, we had waited for 6 years and 3 movies to see.
                  The saga was one of the biggest movie franshise in history.

Comment

Originally posted by Amar J
                    To me it seems they went against so much

The golden age with Arthur and Merlin...

Magic being reunited and Albion being forged once again...

I really think the show should have ended with Arthur alive and accepting Merlin into Camelot, that way it leaves any future movies open...instead you have no idea how Camelot ended up

No idea if magic was truly restored

it goes against what the dragon said at the start, Arthur did not restore magic, he accepted it at the end with merlin but such a let down

what we got was Merlin 1500 years later still waiting for Arthur....so sad

Also big mistake I think for the BBC to put such a tear jerker on christmas eve with so many youngsters watching this....I don't think this will go down well

such a bad ending, they could have been creative and put a happy ending leading to christmas and the show ending with a bang, then who knows? I know a movie is possible and they started talks over it

the whole point was arthur restoring magic and uniting the land, from season 1 but the writers did not let that happen...they just killed him, what was the point of arthur?
                    ITA

Comment

exactly

Personally the final episode for me ends when Merlin says I have one final favor to ask of you.. from there they take off on the dragon and I've got my own ending in my head that jumps from that scene to the round table with a bandaged up Arthur proclaiming peace and announcing Morgana's death with Merlin sitting next to him at the Round Table. Magic is declared legal as all people even of magic deserve peace and freedom while the wielding of magic as a weapon would remain punishable by death. Leon speaks up and says by making magic legal Camelot will need to have a way to enforce such laws and Arthur smiles and says Camelot has a trusted sorcerer in the court who is tasked with such duties. He then grants Merlin status as a free man of Camelot and changes his title to Assistant and Advisor to the King.. Everyone claps Gwen and Gaius smile at Merlin and the credits roll. The golden age has begun....

That's my ending and I'm sticking with it.. That mess they put on TV, the writers and the producers can go eff themselves.

Also I would change how morgana dies with an epic magic battle between her and Merlin...the white dragon bringing her back alive in the end maybe as well
                      ita

Comment

it just seems a bit rushed and messed up to me....Ksite hit it for me, everything was perfect until the last 10 minutes, then it was just a horrible ending, I am really surprised at it...

The latest excuse banded about s that in series one episode eight that this finale had been discussed. Well if the writers had a five year plan like they say they did why on earth did they have to have a sword sired in the dragons breadth to justify the death of Arthur.

Considering the idea of Morgana being the main baddie hadn't been decided until after series two as some on here claim then the very notion of them having a second dragon loyal to Morgana is total hogwash.

This ending was unsatisfactory. We still don't know why Althusia saved Morgana in series four. In series four episode thirteen Merlin says "Arthur you're destined to be the greatest king Albion had ever known". Oh really? Where's the golden age of Albion?

Why didnt Merlin call the dragon sooner? Considering he spent five series asking the dragon for help its shocking for the writers not to have included the dragon earlier.

And finally on the topic of Morgana being killed by Excalibur. Merlin killed nimeuh. Merlin basically killed Morgana in series four and only a random dragon who shed never met before saved her but what real destroys this whole idea is that Morgause was stabbed by Morgana. Now unless Morgana had a third dragon who sired the knife in the dragons breadth it's very far fetched to now be turning around and saying only a sword in the dragons breadth can kill a high priestess.

Also begs the question that if high priestesses are so powerful how comes

A) Morgana got captured for two years?
                        B) uther managed to kill so many magic users. All a high priestess needed to do was walk into Camelot and save the relevant magic user considering now its been declared only swords sired from dragons can kill them!

If you just think about how much it failed, Arthur and Merlin were destined to bring back Magic, the writers just totally failed that, there was no golden age, it goes against everything, both should have lived in the end, for me Morgana who possibly still could live from her dragon the same....then let the golden age begin with arthur rebuilding with Merlin by his side

just a total epic failure for me, I am so angry, Giaus literally told Merlin only a dragon can save Arthur yet he travelled to the damn lake...if it was such an emergency call him earlier!

I wanted to say well done to the actors as they really played their roles well for me, but for the writers, god I hope they never get another show again, to me it seems like for the first 2 seasons we had 2 different good writers and then 2 numpties came on board

The more I think about the ending the more pissed off I become... There is no reason why they couldn't have had essentially the same show except had the battle be Mt. Baden him get injured like that, Merlin reveal his magic and the whole love fest between them on the way to the Isle of the Blessed where he could be healed.. right down to the angst and crying then the dragon swoops in and takes them and he get's healed. The final shot of Arthur at the Round table with Merlin sitting beside him announcing to the table that Morgana is dead and the kingdom is finally achieved the peace it's been longing for and that from now on evil actions would be outlawed rather than magic itself. Gwen smiling at Merlin, Gaius smiling next to him.. roll credits.

Pretty sure most people would have been happy... Mordred could have been defeated in this battle and come back in 20 years with his own army.. there was no need to end it the way they did. That would have brought them a hell of a lot closer to the actual legends than the mess ended with.

edit

The most frustrating part was when Kilgharrah says that they achieved their destiny - total CRAP. They.did.not. And no one-liner in the final moments of the episode is going to make up for the total lack of achievement on Merlin & Arthur's part.

Also the fact they skipped the golden age, the show should have ended at the knights table with the arthur, merlin and the knights starting a golden age of magic returning, that was the whole point of the show, to have magic returned, they messed it up so so much. Like a lot of people, I think they had another ending with arthur alive but for some reason went with him dying

it is strange, if you followed it over the years, you know the actors and writers never got on, they even criticised the writers, I am so surprised the ending made it through.

Think about it, their destiny was to bring back magic and build a great kingdom, they tried to do a one liner with the dragon at the end to make it seems merlin and arthur did that when they never, this could have been a prequel to the legend, with magic restored and arthur and merlin starting their work
                        ITA All you guys have said it better than me.

Comment

I didn't watch the finale on SyFy channel since I had bought the last season to complete my Merlin series collection. It did seem like they needed another season to wrap it up properly. It felt rushed to end it and left out important history between Merlin and Arthur like some mentioned. Did they think they were getting another season and didn't? I think some of the actors didn't want to return but not sure when they made their decision....The scene with Merlin at the end waiting for Arthur was strange. Could they be thinking of making a Merlin series in present time? Would be interesting to see him in action in modern time. Other then that, can't see a purpose for that scene. Is there a set age Arthur is killed? I have seen him portrayed at different ages. Sean Connery played an aged version and that seemed to me too old but I liked him nonetheless. I know Smallville took creative license in telling Clark Kent/Superman's story and it was sometimes not well received when it took a different route than expected so I'm thinking the producers of Merlin did the same thing in telling their version. They did it their way and took a chance....I did enjoy the Merlin series very much and am disappointed it's over but it was great while it lasted and will miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
                            It felt rushed to end it and left out important history between Merlin and Arthur like some mentioned.
                            That was a big problem for me for Season 5 as well. It seemed like all the 'story' was crammed into the last few episodes. That stuff should have been spread out through the season (perhaps rather that than focusing on the Gwen being brainwashed thing, which we all knew would be broken anyway). It just felt like so much was compacted into the last episode (or the last few episodes) after everything.

Comment

This finale was so disappointing I just don’t know were to start. I sat through 5 seasons of fun, hope, friendship, despair and this was the ending. No King, no heir, no rise of magic, only an immortal Merlin wandering along the road almost getting sideswipe by an 18-wheeler.
                              WHAT!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!
                              Not what I was hoping for, they should’ve gone out bigger and better than this.
                              Very sad.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎