#5.06 "The Dark Tower"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #5.06 "The Dark Tower"

Episode Description:

When Gwen is snatched from Camelot without warning, Merlin knows there can be only one person responsible: Morgana. Arthur is determined to rescue his queen, but it will not be easy; she is locked in the Dark Tower, a place that haunts the dreams of men...

Arthur and his knights must embark on a quest like no other, battling through a landscape riddled with hidden dangers, perilous obstacles and magical beings. As they near their goal, Merlin's sense of dread reaches breaking point. What twisted game is Morgana playing? And more importantly, just what is the final test that awaits them in the tower?

I never thought I'd say this about a Merlin episode, but this was mind boggling slow. The scenes of Arthur and company trekking through the impassable forest reminded me of the zillion pages of Harry Potter and friends milling around in the wild in the last book. Rescue Guinevere already before the clock runs out! And then they kill her brother off? I could say lots about that, but I won't. What was the point of Morgana conjuring snakes to attack Leon and Perceval? And who is the fake Gwen because there is no way I believe that doppelganger is Guinevere. Is the real Gwen still being held prisoner in the tower or is she dead, too? And finally, did Merlin just give up using his magic????

Comment

It's definitely Gwen...Morgana used the Dark Tower to manipulate Gwen. She somehow convinced Gwen on believing some twisted lie. She broke her mind; her sanity.

Comment

i am seriously not connected to the way the story is going now... They're saying that this is final season. I am waiting to see more war type of episodes, a duels between morgana and Merlin. Arthur learning truth about Merlin. and duel between Aithusa and Great dragon possibly to defend their masters.

this is going awfully slow. Good part is that they finally decided kill one of their knights.. honestly that was needed. I see ever reason to get of Eylan from the show, moreover they are more characters who doesn't hold much use... Its time for major chages.. bring back nimueh, freya or morguse in some or other way...

More action needed!!!

Comment

Have they actually confirmed that this would be the last season? We are already 1/2 way through this season and there hasn't been any episode thus far to show that they are heading to a finale. Unless the latter half will be rushed to squeeze what they can from the last episodes. It is possible to end it within a few episodes but, the pace this season as been slow. As slow as it's been I doubt they'd want to rush the ending.

Comment

Bradley james gave a hint in the Season 5 comic con that producers has big plans for Merlin, may be a movie.
            http://www.**********.co.uk/tv/s53/m...on-a-high.html

However, Recently there have been talks about Merlin Season 6 but not confirmed anything as of now..

Merlin's executive producer Julian Murphy has hinted that the fantasy drama may return for a sixth series in 2013.

But I still think they need to push story to other side.. Its becoming all the same.. I do love Merlin, I loved it from last 5 season, Its a good show. I don't want to be bored with the same story. Its easy to predict what's going happen... Now Gwen betrays Arthur/Merlin and helps morgana but in the end Arthur's love on Gwen changes her back blah blaha..couldn't be better story than this... i only be surprised if they kill off Gwen character which we both know its not going to happen.

Comment

I'm kinda happy Morgana and gwen are friends again. They had great chemistry in seasons 1-2.

Comment

Originally posted by harryandginnyfanatic
                I'm kinda happy Morgana and gwen are friends again. They had great chemistry in seasons 1-2.
                They are not friends. Gwen is brainwashed and Morgana is using her.

Comment

Regardless, I'm sure the actresses enjoyed working together again.

Comment

No, not regardless. In the frame of the story they are not friends, but I agree that the girls probably enjoyed working together.

Comment

pretty good episode. kind of figured Gwens brother would be the one who died since they kind of focused on their relationship from the opening scene.

wonder how Gwen will be saved and whats going to happen between her and Arthur while shes brainwashed.

Comment

I loved this episode, one of my favorites.

Comment

This was a good episode, definitely more psychological than what would be a typical Merlin episode. The knights of Camelot were there, but they didn't do a heck of a lot. They were out of their league in this one.

Morgana broke Gwen's mind! It could potentially be the most diabolical thing Morgana has done -- driving a wedge between Arthur and his own queen. I actually hope that Gwen doesn't recover in one episode, for the sake of more drama and conspiracy angles. "Normal" Queen Gwen running the castle and issuing edicts isn't all that riveting.

But "Broken, Mind-Warped" Gwen unknowingly carrying out Morgana's schemes within Camelot's walls, count me in!

Comment

I, too, thought this episode was a little slow. We had so many loving shots of the Knights riding horses or whatever. I get that it was supposed to symbolize the long journey to the tower (at least I think that's what it was supposed to?) but they didn't even reach the tower until about 10 minutes left in the show, which left the actual rescue very short. It really made that part feel rushed.

So the Queen and her brother visit her father's grave (I was reminded of how Gwen's father died and wondered if Gwen still hates Uther because of it).

Loved this bit: "He told you who Gwaine's in love with." "Himself."

Poor Leon and Percival hit but they seemed fine the next day (except that whatever-it-was on Percy's foot). Gwaine breaking the tension after the dreams (cheese that tastes like apple pie?) was great (he's always good for that). Then the bit about him being born to rescue the damsel in the tower. Actually I was thinking that sounded more like something Lancelot would do.

Best part of the ep--Queen Mab! How nice to see that. And hey, someone to remind Merlin he can just use magic to help. Why he didn't do something earlier, I have no idea.

"Trust me just this once." And Merlin gets them out (though I notice none of the knights said thanks or well done or anything).

Ah, and Morgana has now tricked Gwen (at first I thought that nice!Morgana was a product of Gwen's mind--that she had gone back to the old days of Morgana being her friend or something?) into thinking they are friends again.

The Raiders of the Lost Ark type booby traps seemed very unimaginative.

And like I said the final scenes with the rescue of Gwen seemed rushed after all that came before. And poor Elyan. Queen Mab was right.

And Gwen's under a spell again. First she cheats with Lancelot because of a spell, now she betrays Arthur again.

So yeah, this was not one of the better episodes, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎