Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Damaged?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much I can add here, so I'll just nod in agreement with all the good words said about this week's episode....

Comment

Originally posted by 134sc
      This was the best episode of the series so far. I think my problem the first time around is that I was not grasping the point of the episode. In superhero shows it is just a given that there is going to be a suspension of disbelief for certain things; particularly the dual identity aspect and that nobody can seem to put the pieces together. So on first watch I kept thinking that this was a waste of time, cuz in the end he will prove to everybody that he is not “the hood” . But on second watch I realized this was exactly the point of the episode. The writers were acknowledging that people really should start to at least question if Oliver is Arrow, cuz there are just too many coincidences. It made the people in this world seem aware and competent (even Thea was questioning Oliver). So to this I say thank you to the writers, as this is an aspect of superhero storytelling that often gets swept aside, so good on them for facing it.
      I agree this was the best episode so far, and with the criticism about people being clueless about his dual identity (especially now that everyone is looking in his direction). However I'm not on board with how easily he got himself out of it. Det. Lance seems plain incompetent to me now, as he "seemingly" didn't even consider the possibility of Oliver having an ally or anyone that could play the part in his absence, as a ruse or whatnot. Lance seemed to have completely bought it. I hope that was just an act on his part. Oliver doesn't have super powers, he doesn't have super-speed like Superman, so he is much more vulnerable to being found out simply by someone, anyone, keeping a close eye on his activities from here on out. But naturally no one is going to be doing this, and Oliver is apparently free and clear to continue to play dress-up.

Originally posted by 134sc
      By the end of the episode everybody but Dinah believes that there is no way Oliver could be “the hood”
      At least the show did this. I hope that not everyone truly bought it. Would be better if Det. Lance suspects the ruse, along with members of the criminal element. This was an exceptionally dumb move by Oliver, not a brilliant one in my view, but the show seems to be playing it the other way around.

Originally posted by SnowBird
      Another good episode. Predictable that Ollie would get someone to impersonate him to get off the hook. What did surprise me is he planned on getting caught which was a big risk if it didn't work out.
      Yes, that was overly predictable (cliche). So predictable and cliche it makes you wonder if comic books/movies/television even exist in their universe, as you'd think certain people would clue on to this possibility (of impersonation) -- certain people like members of the police force (maybe they discussed it off-screen? Or maybe the FBI or some other agency is going to be called in to spy on Oliver and catch him in the act? Not bloody likely right. lol). But anyway, this was my favorite episode so far.

Comment

I suspect he isn't so easily fooled.

Its just that his superiors ordered him to clear Oliver.

I still hope he becomes the Question but I guess I'm the only one who hopes he isn't killed off!

Now all thats needed is he finds out the yacht was sabotaged and Oliver is actually going after the ones responsible... maybe have him find Sara survived and he goes off to try and rescue her... well if he's going to be the Question and not a recurring character he needs a reason to leave Starling City and that would open up the chance for Oliver to leave Starling City to help at some point!

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
          Yes, that was overly predictable (cliche). So predictable and cliche it makes you wonder if comic books/movies/television even exist in their universe, as you'd think certain people would clue on to this possibility (of impersonation) -- certain people like members of the police force (maybe they discussed it off-screen? Or maybe the FBI or some other agency is going to be called in to spy on Oliver and catch him in the act? Not bloody likely right. lol). But anyway, this was my favorite episode so far.
          This is the ultimate irony of the "grounded, gritty, realistic" approach: They don't have superhero comic books. In the real world, if someone puts on a costume and fights crime, we can assume they were inspired by the wealth of comic books and related media at our disposal. There is precedence for their actions. The "realistic" approach generally has these characters coming up with the superhero idea completely on their own, which is necessarily unrealistic. I don't care about that technicality that much, except that this whole grounded approach ends up cutting out or severely altering some classic elements/characters. It's as if they selectively apply the realism.

That said, I also had the most positive reaction to this episode out of the five thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeless
            I suspect he isn't so easily fooled.

Its just that his superiors ordered him to clear Oliver.
            Let's hope. Would've been nice if the episode provided a hint of this in some way, so as to not leave it up in the air. Guess maybe they want it to be a surprise. Although if he really did suspect him, he should've caught him in the next episode. Is Oliver really so impossible to track? And if Det. Lance does try to follow him (or hires someone to do it for him to keep the police officially, or unofficially, out of it) and Oliver manages to evade him every single time with his ninja "vanishing" skills, that in itself should be highly suspicious to Lance, seeing that the Hood has the very same skill.

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
            This is the ultimate irony of the "grounded, gritty, realistic" approach: They don't have superhero comic books. In the real world, if someone puts on a costume and fights crime, we can assume they were inspired by the wealth of comic books and related media at our disposal. There is precedence for their actions. The "realistic" approach generally has these characters coming up with the superhero idea completely on their own, which is necessarily unrealistic. I don't care about that technicality that much, except that this whole grounded approach ends up cutting out or severely altering some classic elements/characters. It's as if they selectively apply the realism.
            Yes that's true, they want it both ways (as do a lot of more modern superhero works I think). They want the realism, which makes them vulnerable to criticisms when things aren't very realistic. Although I'm not sure they don't have superhero comic books/movies/tv shows etc in their world (didn't any character make references or comparisons to any superheroes in any episode, like as a joke or pop culture reference? Robin Hood was mentioned, but not sure that counts. Twilight was also mentioned, and that sure as hell doesn't count. lol). But yes if none were mentioned, maybe you're right and Oliver is the first of his kind in every way in this universe. (The film "Kick-Ass" is at least one exception to this though of course, it essentially was a realistic approach in which the costumed crime fighter didn't come up with the superhero idea completely on his own, but based it on his love of comic books, etc.)

Comment

Best episode yet, I know we didn't see much of Deathstroke but I have no doubt he'll be back and probably mask less (at least at first). It was a more story driven episode than an action orientated one like prior episodes (not a bad thing). As usual I loved the island flashbacks, the rescue scene was my favourite. Oliver Queen vs the servant was cool too. John Barrownan actually surprised me I often find him corny but he wasnt at all. Lastly, that ending was epic! 10/10

This show gets better every week, its definitely mapy favourite shiw at the moment. As always I really can't wait for next weeks episode.

Forgot to say I loved the Billionaire vigilantes and their toys line, definitely a ting in cheek reference to Batman.
              Last edited by Stebob1984; 11-19-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎