Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arbar
    To be fair, it was in a wide open piece of land. Not too hard to 'crash' it
    That is right.

You know, Lex saying "Clark! My father just died and you are already breaking and entering ?" is one of my favorites. For once Lex approaches Clark and accuses him immediately. And rightly so. The number of times Clark broke into the mansion - never bothering about irrelant things like hidden cameras.

And we saw it in this scene again: Lex does not call his guards to "guide" Clark out - as he did with Lois for example. No, he enters a verbal duel until Clark leaves on his own. Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by Arbar
      Quick thoughts (from memory - I'm sure you'll all correct me if I misremember )

- I felt so sorry for Lionel *and* Lex this episode. Lionel because...well, nobody listened to him, then he got chucked out a building. Bad day for anyone, really.
      Yes. But his death had style. I think he appreciated that. I doubt that Lionel ever wanted to die of old age in a hospital. And Lex was really kind to him, told him he would die in his shadow and that nobody would even remember his name. I think Lionel liked that.

Lex, because he really doesn't seem like he wanted to do it; all he really wants to do is tell Clark the truth and get it over with, but he has that prophesy hanging over him (of course, that doesn't get him off the hook, but it is very sad).
      I agree.

- Lex supposedly 'kills' his good side. Very powerful...except there was no real payoff. He didn't start getting rid of people who knew too much, he didn't attack indiscriminately, he didn't even seem to look forward to controlling Clark in Arctic. So it comes off as one of those 'cool!' scenes SV liked to do, that had no real purpose.
      He even keeps protecting everybody. Chloe in Sleeper (or do you think he did it just to have a hold over a photographer in the basement?), Lois, Clark (he attacked Edward after Edward suggested he had done something nasty to the Traveler), Jimmy (he didn't do anything against Jimmy after Jimmy told him he didn't want to lie to Lois any more). This is not the behaviour of an unscrupulous and power hungry Lex we have seen in Onyx.

I think he really attacked his weak self. The child who wanted to be weak to be good. Who adored Warrior Angel. Who believed that Kara was an angel. Who haunted him even though they both knew that Lex had no choice but to kill his father. And who was a hallucination - just like Lex hallucinated on the island after being betrayed, and in school after he had to suppress the memory of his mother killing Julien. There was a pattern established when and why Lex starts to hallucinate, and child Lex being Lex's good side does not fit into it.

- The funeral scene is so gorgeous. Clark's defiant, judging look, Lex's sad but smug smirk, that lovely ray of sunshine - SV's crew really knew how to film a beautiful scene.
      Love that. In fact it is the one and only funeral scene in Smallville I liked.

- Poor Clark gets to go on another guilt trip. I wish he'd feel guilty about the things he did have a choice in *cough*stopping Lex getting the key, not worrying over Lana *cough* and not the random stuff sometimes.
      He clearly has to rearrange his priorities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freawaru
        There are also different Christian views on who ends up in hell, so even if the writers of Smallville used a Christian setting it is not clear which one.
        I believe that people end up in hell for only one reason: rejection of Jesus Christ, once they've learned of His sacrifice for them. God is just, and will not damn anyone for something beyond their control.

Looks like in the Bible fire is a metaphor for many things. Which one is it in the case of "child Lex" (assuming that it is meant as a Biblical symbol)?
        I wouldn't know; I assumed it was just used as a story device in the vein of being "burned alive".

That may be because the "ends don't justify means" isn't exactly a Christian attitude. All through history the ends did justify the means for Christians.
        Actually, the Bible teaches that everyone who used that excuse suffered for it. Righteous intent does not justify things like murder, adultery, theft, abuse, etc. God did judge both cities and individuals, but it was never arbitrary, and He always warned them first, so they had a chance to escape.

Originally posted by skully
        Well, with due respect, mf2k4, I think all descriptions of hell in the Bible are all similes or metaphors, given that nobody has been there and returned to describe it.
        Actually, many people have had near-death experiences, about being literally to hell and back. One guy spent 29 minutes there, and afterward, didn't speak for a year. He later wrote a book about it.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎