Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC Animated Movies

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Flashpoint Paradox is a really really tough film to get a handle on. I think the reason for this is that it feels conceptually a little bit like one note. Do all the parts add something interesting to the story? I'm not convinced. I think it feels rushed in the sense that they tried to shoehorn a lot of different characters and side stories into an impossibly short period of time without developing any of them, but the very same movie also feels way too bloated. I mean... this would be one 42 minute episode of Star Trek.

All of the cameos were fun. They certainly shocked me with several of the kills, if there's value in that. Beyond that, I think I have to call BS on this one. I think my list looks a little like the following:

5-star *****
    Superman vs. The Elite
    Justice League: New Frontier

4-star ****
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
    Batman: Under the Red Hood
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

3-star ***
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern: First Flight
    Batman: Year One
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
    All-Star Superman

2-star **
    Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    Superman: Doomsday
    Batman: Gotham Knights

1-star *
    Justice League: Doom
    Superman: Unbound

Comment

Two new animated movies were announced at SDCC for 2014 called Batman:Assault on Arkham which is based on the Batman Arkham game universe and Son of Batman. which will be based on Grant Morrison's introductory story for Damien Wayne.

Justice League:The Flashpoint Paradox
      I've gotten round to seeing it and well it's a disappointment for me. The animation doesn't look right for some reason and Cyborg seems somehow has a bigger role in the movie than in the comic arc that I remember. Though I admit i haven't looked at it for a long time.

For me this is in the Green Lantern:Emerald Knight's and Batman:Gotham Knight's territory.
      Last edited by maasaloo; 07-20-2013, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Am I crazy, or did James Tucker say they would be steering clear of adaptations for a while? They obviously aren't. Anyway, I love Batman. I really do. And I know he sells. But please, can we get some variety in here? Can we at least have some creative team-ups? It's nice to see the Justice League as a whole, but it would also be nice to see something smaller. If we can't get an Aquaman film, for instance, can we have a Superman/Aquaman movie? Superman/Green Lantern? Batman/Green Arrow? Trinity? You get the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
          The Flashpoint Paradox is a really really tough film to get a handle on. I think the reason for this is that it feels conceptually a little bit like one note. Do all the parts add something interesting to the story? I'm not convinced. I think it feels rushed in the sense that they tried to shoehorn a lot of different characters and side stories into an impossibly short period of time without developing any of them, but the very same movie also feels way too bloated. I mean... this would be one 42 minute episode of Star Trek.

All of the cameos were fun. They certainly shocked me with several of the kills, if there's value in that. Beyond that, I think I have to call BS on this one. I think my list looks a little like the following:

5-star *****
          Superman vs. The Elite
          Justice League: New Frontier

4-star ****
          Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
          Batman: Under the Red Hood
          Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

3-star ***
          Wonder Woman
          Green Lantern: First Flight
          Batman: Year One
          Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
          Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
          All-Star Superman

2-star **
          Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
          Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
          Superman: Doomsday
          Batman: Gotham Knights

1-star *
          Justice League: Doom
          Superman: Unbound
          I have to disagree with your rating. Justice League Doom 1 Star? That was incredible. Superman/Batman Public Enemies 2 Stars? But you give Apocalypse 4 Stars. Respect, but I don't see how you'd rated those movies in that fashion.

Comment

Public enemies was non-stop action with very little character development. I found it boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Rival X The Great
              I have to disagree with your rating. Justice League Doom 1 Star? That was incredible. Superman/Batman Public Enemies 2 Stars? But you give Apocalypse 4 Stars. Respect, but I don't see how you'd rated those movies in that fashion.
              I have spoken about my reasons for liking or not liking all of these films in the individual threads dedicated to each. Public Enemies was, as DA Champion put it, non-stop action with very little character development. Doom was a logic black hole where nothing made any sense. I could forgive neither. Apocalypse had more charm, a more natural rivalry between the combatants that made me actually care about who won and which derived from the story rather than my knowledge of the players involved, and the story itself was more personal.

Comment

Respect, I loved Justice League Doom. Just watched again yesterday. I could be biased cause it Dwayne McDuffie's last movie. Public Enemies was my favorite overall. Doom in second and Under the Red Hood in 3rd. I don't think they're are any bad dc animated movies in the line up.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
                  Two new animated movies were announced at SDCC for 2014 called Batman:Assault on Arkham which is based on the Batman Arkham game universe and Son of Batman. which will be based on Grant Morrison's introductory story for Damien Wayne.
                  You know Kevin Conroy is going to voice in the Arkham movie. Hope he does both films.

Comment

I don't know if this goes here but here is the Justice League: War Preview.

Comment

Thanks looks interesting but I wanted other adaptations from the DCU. A lot more stories to tell than the New 52.

And yeah all DC animated movies/discussions in here please.

Comment

So after seeing the flashpoint movie i really do think its a movie thats hard to wrap your head around. Too much is going on in a small amount of time that it feels like you dont really care for whats happening. the action was cool but also the animation was lackluster. I hated the way Aquaman was drawn and some of the lines of dialogue was too hard to swallow. 3/5

Comment

As far as that preview goes, is Aquaman not going to be included in the movie? it seems like he's just glossed over in that preview and one thing that DC should be open to at this point is exposing Aquaman more so people can take him more seriously since his series is the surprise hit out of the new 52.

Comment

One thing I think DC has never been good at is exposing Aquaman to the right audiences, in the right way. His character really is quite cool, and he has so many more uses than "the guy that talks to fish", but DC themselves seem to perpetuate the myth of his lameness, by excluding him whenever possible.

Comment

Originally posted by HalJordan4184
                              One thing I think DC has never been good at is exposing Aquaman to the right audiences, in the right way. His character really is quite cool, and he has so many more uses than "the guy that talks to fish", but DC themselves seem to perpetuate the myth of his lameness, by excluding him whenever possible.
                              I remember seeing for the first time that JL episode where he chopped off his own hand to save his son. That sure changed my opinion of the character. That dude was badass.

Comment

Well, I saw The Flashpoint Paradox, and I have to say, it seems like the very definition of a movie that can't fully stand on its own. It feels like the very nature and scope of this story necessitates some form of prerequisite knowledge of the DC world. If their target audience is comic readers, I guess that's fine. I'm just not convinced it totally works on its own merits. Particularly worth noting, I thought Thawne's words that served as the catalyst for Barry's timestream fling were pretty weak. I don't even remember what he said, but I remember thinking, "That's what makes Barry decide to save his mother without regard for the consequences?"

I enjoyed it to some degree, but I sure hated looking at a lot of it. Did Rob Liefeld have a hand in some of these designs?

I thought it did a decent job of showcasing Barry's character. Thomas Wayne was pretty good, too. Other than that, I mean, were there other characters? Everyone else was pretty much just thrown in there. Aquaman and Wonder Woman were just faces of their respective forces.

I have to admit, it was cool seeing Aquaman, Orm, Black Manta, Garth, Kaldur, and Tula all on one team. Also, the Flash and Reverse-Flash fight was pretty good.

One thing that really bugged me was Flash's costume at the end. In the comic, Barry didn't successfully restore the timeline by himself. He was running, and Pandora swooped in and gave him a line about having to rejoin the three timelines (which were apparently fractured long ago) as one, which created the New 52 and accounted for the costume changes. I figured they'd just go for the classic timeline restoration trope, and it seems they did, but then they pulled that costume change out of nowhere, and it looked horrible. Flash's New 52 suit really isn't all that bad, but that design was absolutely awful. I can't say enough bad things about it. More to the point, did he restore the timeline, or did he create another variation?

I really wish they would either refrain from doing direct adaptations or choose more contained stories that can work in a timeframe of seventy minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎