Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess it's safe to say this show isn't as popular as Smallville?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess it's safe to say this show isn't as popular as Smallville?

There isn't much discussion going on here. I thought there'd be at least two pages worth of threads by now.

Which is shocking because I found the pilot to be better than anything Smallville had done in its ten year run.

Comment

Originally posted by Poweranimals
      There isn't much discussion going on here. I thought there'd be at least two pages worth of threads by now.
      The internet is a different beast now. People don't talk in forums as much as they used to, even though it was a lot of fun when people did. They have Twitter and all kinds of other methods of expression. Heck, when KryptonSite started, we had to pay an insane amount of money just to keep the original EZboard running, so there weren't as many places one could go to chat.

Nothing has had huge discussion on here since Smallville ended - not even the Smallville Season 11 comics - at least when compared to how things were when SV was still running.

I think to suggest Arrow is more or less popular than Smallville based on a message board "fact" isn't extremely cool, considering Arrow last night had better ratings than SV did in most of its final years, including (I think) its last year that was on Thursdays. Once Upon A Time, which is also a hugely popular show, doesn't get as many posts on here as Smallville did back in the day.

But also... this is brand new. If the original KryptonSite EZboard still existed, I'm sure you'd find there might have even been fewer posts on that premiere night than you have here. I'm hopeful and pretty confident this community will grow.

The OTHER thing to consider is that I feel the posts have been more spread out. There's the Oliver/Laurel Relationship Thread, where a lot of people are talking. General discussion has been mostly in the Loved It/Hated It thread. Maybe people don't want to create new threads... or, consider that it's only been 21 hours since the show aired in parts of the world. There's a lot of time left.

Smallville was good. Arrow is good. Hoping this doesn't become a Smallville vs. Arrow thing, because there is a LOT of room to be fans of both of them.

And to everyone posting already... thank you

Comment

You're welcome Craig. I loved the show last night and was so happy the ratings turned out that well. I'd never compare SV and Arrow and I'm just glad the new show has done so well so far.

Facebook wasn't even around when Smallville started I think. I know Twitter wasn't. Plus there r more channels then there were back then too. The WB was just at their peak too and it wouldn't be right to compare ratings then and now.

Arrow got major props today by E Online so I think it is extremely popular. They even mentioned its success in the same article as Nashville which was a megahit for ABC last night. E has been the biggest supporter since the project was announced.

Comparing the shows is like apples and oranges. Personally I'm just happy the series is doing well. Not only that but everyone who I talked to who watched it enjoyed it thoroughly. Lot of those people were not Smallville fans either. The fact they liked it speaks highly of it to me u know?

Comment

The other thing to consider is - this forum STARTED as being all about Smallville, so it's no surprise that would be the most popular thing there.

Comment

Totally agree. I miss Smallville but Arrow doing well makes me proud as a comicbook fan.

Comment

while watching last night i wasnt thinking about doing a smallville vs arrow pros and cons list. but i do personally as habit compare EVERY tv show, movie, dvd set, music soundtrack to smallville. personally these are two different shows. my logic side realizes that and allows me to enjoy a new show but the sentimentalist in me wishes it was smallville. as i have been reading through these forums i read a lot of 'wishes' posts where i believe the users are comparing the two not because they want to start a fight or upset anyone but because they want arrow to succeed as well as smallville did. after 10 yrs the comparisons of 'new show vs smallville ' is a hard habit to break, for any of us.

ive seen the 10 sec ad for arrow on several different channels in the last 2 weeks the cw seems to have been advertising it outside there channel so it is conceivable that there are new watchers and they have yet to look it up on the internet yet. i also agree that many people think message boards are 'a thing of the past '. these are the ones that use fb and twitter. although these boards are one of the fastest moving boards ive visited many like the instant response of fb pinerest tumblr twitter

Comment

I sure hope though that a group of people sticks around here. To me, nothing beats the community of a good message forum

Comment

Same here man. This show deserves a rabid fanbase like SV had. It's not the same show but I think it is spectacular and it's a fun series.

Comment

First i respect your opinion on this, I dont think there is a need to compare the shows though, the circumstances for both are totally different. Like with ratings inflation every year, CW not being the WB, which had its advantage for shows like smallville, as well as Green Arrow not being as nationally or intentionally recognised as superman etc.

As mentioned here they are a lot of options lately, besides doubt that when smallville first started out there were a lot of discussions initially.
                    Forums only show how many people are willing to discuss the shows on forums, not how popular a show is, millions watch but not everyone can joins on message boards. An example is shows like Person Of Interest or other major network shows, they average around 15-20 million or more viewers, yet the internet activity is very small to none at all, doesnt mean they are millions out there not enjoying the shows. Young Justice is quite popular but mostly on tumbrl nowhere does it have an official forum as big as this one.

I think the Arrow forum here is growing each day and there have been lots of activity lately, and it takes time to have an internet following like smallville had (or other CW shows), it had 10 years to get to that, not comparable with only a pilot, not much to discuss yet.

Maybe Arrow will never be as popular as smallville, it can still do well in its own right and be a success story for GA and the CW, thats all thats needed imo. And really that success is relative, what was considered a flop back then my not be today, what was considered a success back then may also not be today.
                    Last edited by MarvelXY; 10-11-2012, 08:35 PM. Reason: keyboard probs

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
                      I sure hope though that a group of people sticks around here. To me, nothing beats the community of a good message forum
                      I totally agree with you on that, Craig! I've missed having that. Last year, I kept visiting the SPN forums but it was a lot quieter over on there. Which is part of the reason I've been posting so much over the summer because this show definitely seemed to have a built-in fanbase before the airdate.

I personally think that Arrow is off to a solid start. There were a LOT of Arrow-related posts on my FB feed last night which is a good sign. Hopefully people will migrate over here and we can have great discussions minus the shipper wars that sometimes took hold in the SV discussions.

Comment

Also hey - if you look at the total number of posts in this forum vs. other shows on the main page, it's already got more posts than Teen Wolf and Walking Dead combined!

Comment

Personally speaking, I felt Smallville episodes got kind of overanalyzed over here.

I agree with Craig that social media has changed the landscape. And there are only so many times someone will say the same thing. The Arrow section seems well structured to me. And since the show is off to a good start, hopefully that will bring in more comments as the episodes go by.

Comment

I haven't watched the pilot yet, have seen a couple of scenes off of you tube which left me wondering if Moira (Oliver's mum) is the new Lionel but then we enter the territory of is Oliver a remake of Alexander the Great?!

Its supposed to be opening over here in the Uk on the 22nd so have a check after that and see if that changes your mind?

Comment

Very well said Craig about how the Internet has changed from much do two social media websites and I agree with all the other comments that others have said the dynamic is just different than it was 10-15 years ago. However I personally enjoy the forums a lot better than the social media websites because like you said Craig it's more of a community thing and I personally enjoyed far more than those other social media sites, granted it started with smallville but as you say there's plenty of room to grow and given time fans will visit enjoying the forums more in the future. So to you Craig, I thank you for all your hard work in creating web sites such as krypton sites arrow sites man of steel sites and many others to include the forums that are connected to each of those sites so thank you my friend and please continue what you do for the fans of not just smallville, arrow, man of steel, or any other shows that may come forth in the future but all fans website forum site are places of true community.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎