3 3.03%

0 0%

0 0%

1 1.01%
  • 1 - Leave him on the island

3 3.03%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Exedore View Post
    As far as I remember, Oliver killed a bunch of drug traffickers in The Longbow Hunters and they weren't supervillains or anything. Of course they tortured Dinah and that basically led to Oliver killing them. But that run did show him as a darker, more violent character than before. Seems this show is taking inspiration from there.
    Okay you have a point, but I still felt the detached way in which Green Arrow acted in this was more reminiscent of the Punisher. Even in The Longbow Hunter Green Arrow had his liberal viewpoint that drove much of actions. Also the kills he made, he did out of revenge for what the drug dealers did to Dinah. That at least appears more noble then what happened in the pilot last night.

Posting Pro KneelBeforeSmallville's Avatar
    I really Enjoyed the Pilot. They set out to do some very cool things in the future, and has some great action pieces. It has that Smallville charm but is new & fresh so it gives it its own take, and i enjoy that. Lots of twists that kept me interested. Some good production value also.

Im not sold on the characters and romance stuff yet but theres still time. Not the best pilot iv scene but one of the good ones, espcially now. I think this show can save the CW, they need to treat it as such. They dont need to pay for heatvision and superjump sequences so i dont wanna hear any BUDGET CUT EXCUSES! LOL

I look foward to more episodes! Bravo!

I enjoyed it. I liked all the action and gritty city scenes. Wish they did the Smallville thing and killed off the family in a plane crash and then have him come back to like butlers and maids and what not. I hope there is more of emotional connections between characters cause it seemed like Ollie returned and everyone was like ummm ok nice to see you now lets go get drunk.

I dont think they needed to bring drugs into it unless somewhere down the line something will happen and Ollie will go after drug dealers directly connected with his sister. And his dad with the murder suicide thing i dont get so who knows. Looking forward more to stuff that actually happened on the island.

I thought this was really great. I have a lot of issues with Oliver killing, especially since it's handled sort of casually. There aren't any consequences or anyone going "gee, we need to catch this vigilante who's off KILLING people." which to me is unrealistic, but it's possible they'll deal with that in future episodes, I hope.

I think that it's interesting to see Oliver interacting with those he left behind so I don't hate the addition of a living mother and sister, but I'm not a huge fan of the actress who plays his mother. Hopefully that will change.

I am not a fan of love triangles, but the main love triangle on the show is actually better than I expected because it's not a case of one person stringing two people along either because they're too indecisive or too clueless to be aware of the feelings of the people involved. In this case, there is the history with Dinah and Oliver that's pretty hairy and gives a natural reason for her to avoid getting back into a relationship with him. So while I'm still not sold on the triangle aspect, it has the potential to be more interesting and less irritating than usual so that's a good thing.

I dont mind Ollie killing right now. He seems to be more on a revenge kick and not doing it to be a superhero. Im sure by seasons end he may decide to go into superhero mode and help people. This season people might consider him a villian or something.

String Bikini Theory BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow's Avatar
    Uncanny X-Valley, Avengers World, Year 2099
    I thought it was brilliant pilot episode. Very energetic from beginning to end. The actors all did fine, even the smaller supporting roles like Ollie's bodyguard. Amell initially felt too grim for the part but when he got to the club he sounded like Ollie should. His dad and the list intrigue me, looking forward to finding out more backstory via more possible flashbacks. The pilot certainly left a lot of questions unanswered in a good way. There's many story opportunities in the future it seems. I'm also impressed they brought in drug problems which are a part of Green Arrow mythos history. A good pick and should also offer a good/meaningful arc for Ollie's sister.

What irked me was Ollie's narration. Some scenes really didn't need it (beginning) and when he looks at himself in front of the mirror. Maybe it's the voice but it seemed kinda tacked on. The dialogue was good for the most part but nearly every time a new character had to be introduced it got bad from Laurel being introduced as a lawyer and Speedy being a bad nickname. These things should have been blended in and not just thrown out there at the start.

And the killing...well, Ollie could use tranq darts or taser darts. But then again the kills will make it more plausible for Ollie to keep his secret identity a...secret.

Overall I really enjoyed Arrow's pilot episode. Time flies when you're having fun and it's certainly what happened here.

On target. Some of the things surprised me (dialogue is a little more racy). Its definitely nothing like Smallville.

Watched it again today and can't say enough good things. I really think this is going to be an excellent show. Love the lead as Ollie! I knew the Luthor mansion was going to be used, but it seemed to me like there were a lot of Smallville sets used, which was cool because my wife and I could play guess that scene. There are lots of possibilities and I'm very excited about where things can go.

Quote Originally Posted by superhippie2000 View Post
    I dont mind Ollie killing right now. He seems to be more on a revenge kick and not doing it to be a superhero. Im sure by seasons end he may decide to go into superhero mode and help people. This season people might consider him a villian or something.
    I think it makes sense that he might be killing in the beginning, but I just felt like it wasn't dealt with. It felt more like a big budget action movie where the bad guys are just expendable and get killed right and left. Which to me, just doesn't feel right for a show that seems to be very character-focused.

On the other hand, him killing so callously might speak to what he went through on the island and whatever he might have had to do to survive and how that changed him. If they actually deal with it at some point, I'll be a lot happier.

As for the Longbow Hunters, Oliver only killed one person-the guy who was torturing Dinah and that murder was a BIG plot point if I remember correctly. He might have killed more, but Shado ended up killing the rest. But I do agree that killing bad guys isn't all that out of character for Oliver. I think my main issue is just in how it was handled as if it was no big deal. But as this is only the first episode, it's very possible it will be dealt with later.

Other than that gripe, I really loved everything and I thought Amell was the perfect choice for Oliver. And Katie was a fabulous choice for Laurel as well.

I will be rewatching this tonight, so I definitely did enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by LoveHurts38 View Post
    I give it a 6 will watch next episode just sucks how Ollie cheated on Laurel with her own sister.
    that surprised you?

Forum Regular
    I really enjoyed it.

It’s a lot like Nolan’s Batverse and I am perfectly ok with that. This show has tons of potential, definitely the best pilot of the new season so far.

What really stood out are all the different versions of Oliver Queen.

1. Island Oliver
    2. Pre-island playboy Oliver
    3. Post-island playboy Oliver
    4. Arrow

Amell did a great job convincingly playing each version of Oliver Queen. I especially enjoyed his post-island playboy persona because you could tell Oliver was uncomfortable being the playboy he used to be. It came off as more of a disguise, like Bruce Wayne being a playboy or Clark Kent being a clumsy reporter. The playboy persona will allow Oliver to go on as Arrow without anybody suspecting him.

For all that Smallville’s Oliver Queen went through as a character (the good and the bad), TBTB always came back to Oliver Queen realizing that no matter whom he was or whom he had to be, at his core, he is the Green Arrow. If this show can stick to that formula (from the pilot it looks like they are), then it will be very interesting to see how his character develops.

Looking forward to the next episode.

May last 4 seasons. Good action, good story but Smallville is CW/WGN. Arrow is a cool character but one I can't follow. Enjoy people.

What really stood out are all the different versions of Oliver Queen.

1. Island Oliver
    2. Pre-island playboy Oliver
    3. Post-island playboy Oliver
    4. Arrow

Amell did a great job convincingly playing each version of Oliver Queen.

Agree the actor and the pilot did well better than I expected.

For all that Smallville’s Oliver Queen went through as a character (the good and the bad), TBTB always came back to Oliver Queen realizing that no matter whom he was or whom he had to be, at his core, he is the Green Arrow
    Eh dont agree with this about smalllville, they changed him to for someone. Thats exactly what NOT to do an I hope that Arrow can learn from that.

Otherwise good post

New In Town
    Before I start my review and for and for the purposes of this because I'm a DC Comics traditionalist. I'm going to refer to Ollie's mother as Laura and Laurel as Dinah. I want to begin with the minor stuff and then I will go into the more heavier details. I loved Willa Holland as Speedy though those who remember this performer from her days on the TV series The O.C. as Kaitlyn Cooper, her character on Arrow very much acts much like her character on The O.C. I love that the performer who plays her best friend she was the daughter of The Alpha vamp last season on Supernatural. I understand why she's doing what she's doing just because your Dad and older brother are both dead (or so she thinks) and she's behaving how any teenager would behave and I love how she said it in a way that was not totally self pitying, just the truth. I love that for Digg and Oliver's relationship is like the anti Bruce and Alfred, I love how Nutter shot the car scene between the two of them. Adam Hunt I liked I realize it's the stereotypical rich guy who's stealing from people and The Green Arrow uses his skills to right wrongs, (hey it's a DC standard and it works, if it didn't people wouldn't keep using it.) loved both the fight scenes and how Nutter was able to go from gut wrenching emotion to butt kicking fight scenes with Hunt vs. The Green Arrow. Tommy Merlin I have to admit was the one character initially I didn't think I was going to like and not just in the I don't like the sneaky best friend villain sort of way, the more go away from HDTV sort of way. But I really enjoyed his character because if one were to go back and track his actions his whole reason to bring Oliver and Dinah back together is just to see for himself if they still love each other because if not he wants Dinah. Love the line "What's Twilight?" "You're better off, not knowing." LOL. Laura Queen Susanna Thompson very much The Lionel Luthor (in so far we know) she loves her children but she will go to extremes to get what she wants. On a side note, I love we have seen more of the exterior of The Queen Estate in one episode than we ever did when it was Luthor mansion. Probably my favorite shots that David Nutter did beside the fight scenes was the way he did (very similar to the Smallville Pilot) how big rooms are and how very apart the characters are especially in The Queen Dining Room. Also loved the lighting the cinematographer did a fantastic job lighting this episode and I liked unlike Smallville where there was say a dramatic contrast to the lighting in Metropolis to Smallville. No matter where we are in this episode no matter if it's sunny outside or cold and rainy on the island there is this almost flat black to the lighting which really fit the theme of the series. Now to the Lances. First of all, I thought it was a very creative move not to reveal that Detective Lance was the father of Dinah and Sara. I also like the fact that Detective Lance much like his child would have seen Oliver stay dead. Paul Blackthrone (Lance) is the stand out performer apart from Steven Amell. Katie Cassidy should not be without mention a Rachel Dawes like lawyer I was very impressed with Cassidy's dramatic chops she's usually known for parts where she's the sneaky sexy siren (see the short lived reboot of Melrose Place) but here she's covered up and shows real depth and anger towards Oliver, but yet warmth and kindness to him at the party and when Oliver blows her off, she switches right back to tough. I like that the writers chose the absolute smuggest thing for Ollie to do to Dinah and add guilt for Ollie as well, not only see your lover who happens to be your girlfriend's sister die right in front of you, but her family blames you for her death. So good. Steven Amell (the man who most of my female friends are swooning over right now. Did anyone notice when Oliver's looking at himself in the bedroom mirror the camera stops on his abs and stays there for like thirty seconds, lol.) Has brought so much guilt, a thirst for redemption, and a sense of purpose that Justin Hartley (no disrespect to him) couldn't pull off. Everything Amell's Green Arrow/Oliver Queen does I totally believe. I like the logic of doing the voice overs because really who is he going to talk too? No one knows what happened to him on that island and no one knows he's the Green Arrow, of course he's going to have voice overs. Note: He never stated he was alone on that island. I love how we began the episode with his rescue and his mission statement within the first five minutes of the episode and once again everything he did, I believed. David Nutter can't be praised enough much like he did on Supernatural he told you through visuals why people should care about the main character and Greg Berlanti & Marc Guggenheim wrote a script which is by far one of the best pilots ever done, I can't wait for next week and if you would like to listen to a podcast about Arrow myself and my partner Michael J. Petty have created a show entitled "Longbow Hunters" please take a listen we record our first episode this Saturday. http://acrosstheairwaves.com/arrowpodcast Episode rating: Five out of Five.

This fall most awaited series “ Arrow” is now officially on the TV and I am so happy to see positive reviews about the pilot. The show turn out to be exactly how I expected, I wouldn’t expect any better than this.

The opening Island shot is short and inspiring , 5 years’ time in the Island could be a very long story and I am glad the writers left Island part of story to add in future episodes. I loved the family re-union, it was simple and definitely not dramatic. It appears like CW is using same sets of Smallville, am starting to think if Arrow is more like spin-off from Smallville. The Oliver mansion was Luther’s, the starling city is more like Metro polis, and Dinah’s office is definitely Lois workstation at daily planet. It seems like there are lot of locations of Smallville are going to be in Arrow. Can’t wait to see the up-coming similarities. As “Arrow” I think Stephen Amell have done a great job, he got a stunning body, I loved his exercise scenes. I remember him from his first TV show Queer as Folk and later in Dates Cove. I think he changed so much from what he was that including his acting skills. So, Our Arrow seem to be a more like human with few special abilities which he picked up from the Island.. the abilities I have observed are long jumps, multiple fighting skills, strength, speed, fast thinking, arrow shoot, and survival skills. The action scenes are quite realistic, I especially loved the kidnapers chasing scene, it was very exciting.

To talk about the plot, so Oliver once was spoilt rich kid who has no agenda in life other than enjoying life, so he happen to travel somewhere with his father along with his ex-girlfriend’s sister and the ship was wrecked. Although He , his father along with some random guy who survived the shipwreck which I think may not be the natural disaster, otherwise how can his father and other guy can be in the life boat when the boat got sinking in all of sudden? I am hoping there is some good story to this. So, His father kills himself so that Oliver can live and survive and take care of his father’s Agenda. That little book with list of people who our hero is planning for avenge. Back to mansion, His Mom already married to another guy , his sister is addicted to drugs, his best friend is trying to take his ex-girlfriend, Not something Oliver expected, He is here with a mission, he strikes off the first person from his list - “Adam hurt”, I love the way he stole his $40 billion. Sometimes, It’s more fun to see our super heroes’ uses technology to bring the bad guys down. He takes every opportunity in his account, pushes Laurel away so that she won’t come in his way. Tommy seems to be very suspicious about Oliver, I wonder how these guys relation going to be. I don’t want to see another Clark and Lex story. I hope Tommy supports Oliver.

I love the episode end, so what’s up with his mother moira, she got him kidnapped to know about his father. He is dead, at least that is what they shown it to us. Seems like there is so much back story and wondering if she had planned for the Ship wrecking. Can’t wait to see what’s coming next.

Arrow may be not as popular as Smallville but 4.4 million is a good start but to be a hit series, this show needs more ratings.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast