Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of the Arrow Pilot?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkraya
    I liked it, but I'm still a little confused about some things that were shown on the episode.

Do whe (or me) have to disregard the Smallville verison of Green arrow/Oliver Queen in order to make some sense out of this new project? I was suprised to see that Oliver's parents were still alive, or lived longer than in the SM storyline. the fact that he has a sister on the show made me raise eyebrows. I'm still wraping my mind around that one, but i like the idea.

Adam Hunt = Lex Luthor?

... no comment.

Also: in the last scene of the episode, whe discovered that Oliver's mother planned the attack/kidnapping of his son. Why ? what are her motives?

I guess I'll tune in next week to get some answers.
    well, it's a new telling of his story, so think we're supposed to forget (disregard) everything we know about ollie from sc. Abd in my opunion, tommy merlyn=lex luthor.

Comment

Ok, one question. What is UP w/ his MOTHER? Why would she want to hire ppl to hurt her own son?

Comment

Originally posted by freewaydog
        Ok, one question. What is UP w/ his MOTHER? Why would she want to hire ppl to hurt her own son?
        Well she said she wants to find out what ollie knows, but personally i just think she's psycho.

Comment

So I didn't get to see the first episode last night but I just finished watching it. Everything that I wanted to say has already been said. So all I'll say is I like it I like it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by sv&spn-girl
            Well she said she wants to find out what ollie knows, but personally i just think she's psycho.
            I think she's going to be Arrow's alternative to Smallville's Lionel Luthor So yeah, she's a psycho!

Comment

It was refreshing to see a CW "superhero" show where they let the protagonist be proactive and able to think for himself with no crutches while keeping him far away from high school level drama. The only thing that kept me from completely loving the show was the ease in which he killed with seemingly no remorse. How the next few episodes go will help me decide whether this will be on my "must watch" list.

Comment

I give it a 6 will watch next episode just sucks how Ollie cheated on Laurel with her own sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquahyde
                  I thought both shows captured quite a lot of the character, Green Arrow was originally very much close to Batman when he first originated until he got revamped to make him more his own person, he had an arrow car, arrowplane, a robin =speedy to keep up with the Joneses he said, lol he didnt want to be left behind. And Batman and Green Arrow also share some similarities due to just being billionaire superheroes who uses technologically advanced gadgetry, with a playboy history and having elite families. Oliver at the island is delt a lot in Green Arrow: year one so I think in the show it will feature a lot and will expand more on that than a comic can accommodate. I never watched Robson crusoe, tv show, only the cartoon lol, I used to like it, well I like anything near water. I agree this Arrow is a lot shades darker, but Green Arrow has killed in comics and grell mostly and other GA comics were mature and very dark. He wont always be this dark, I think.
                  Oliver killed someone who was equivalent to a henchmen in the episode. in the comics when Oliver actually killed Prometheus it was a big deal, like Wonder Woman killing Maxwell Lord big. The Green Arrow/Arrow we saw tonight killed a henchmen, that is type of stuff the Punisher pulls off in the Marvel universe and he is at best a very dark boarder-line anti-hero.

As far as NBC's Robin Crusoe series, I like it a lot. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes island adventure stories. Arrow kinda feels like were Robin Crusoe would have gone had it gotten a second season. ie Robinson returning to London and seeking revenge on the people who had ruined his life.
                  Last edited by Degobunny; 10-11-2012, 07:05 AM.

Comment

It was good for my taste.

Comment

I have to agree with most of the comments here. Arrow is exactly what I was hoping for in a new DC series. It's dark, and has a very interesting story line. The Tommy Merlyn arch will be fun to watch... does he already know how to use a bow... is he considered to be the best marksman in the world yet? Or do we see him develop into the arch-nemesis for Ollie?

I will say, I didn't like how he killed that henchman so easily.... @degobunny

Originally posted by Degobunny
                      Oliver killed someone who was equivalent to a henchmen in the episode. in the comics when Oliver actually killed Prometheus it was a big deal, like Wonder Woman killing Maxwell Lord big. The Green Arrow/Arrow we saw tonight killed a henchmen, that is type of stuff the Punisher pulls off in the Marvel universe and he is at best a very dark boarder-line anti-hero.
                      And I agree that it was a big deal when he did kill Prometheus... because up until then Ollie held to a higher standard and didn't kill for the sake of killing... especially to protect his secret. just my opinion. Heroes are to be at a higher standard... This may come back and haunt him.

However, that aside, this is my replacement for Smallville. :-) I'm so excited. When my wife and I sat down to watch the show last night... I was pacing around my apartment for the minutes leading up to the episode. :-) I can't wait till next week..........!

Comment

Originally posted by Degobunny
                        As far as I remember, Oliver killed a bunch of drug traffickers in The Longbow Hunters and they weren't supervillains or anything. Of course they tortured Dinah and that basically led to Oliver killing them. But that run did show him as a darker, more violent character than before. Seems this show is taking inspiration from there.

Comment

I liked it ,thought the action sequences were a bit hard to follow. I know he's dead, but I'd still like to see more of Oliver's father.

Comment

It was okay... for a pilot. They accomplished a lot in setting up the characters, uninteresting as they are, established a formula and setting, and the main character's driving force and relationships are clearly established. That said, the writing and the performances are pretty poor, especially the lead. He is extremely uninteresting, lacks range, and has almost no personality to speak of. I wouldn't characterize his performance as dark and brooding as much as it is completely devoid of feeling. I'm not even impressed with his look, which is sort of a big deal. I wanted to compare him to Tom Welling, but there are two major things Welling had going for him that this guy doesn't...

1: Welling's supporting cast was extremely strong. They surrounded him with O'Toole, Glover, and Schneider. In addition, we came to realize that Mack and Rosenbaum were also excellent actors. I like Thompson, and I think his guy friend has a shot, but I was not impressed with anyone else in the pilot.

2: Welling has a great look, imo. While Amell has undoubtedly worked very hard on his physical conditioning, nothing about his face or presentation stands out to me.

I could see this show getting better, but Amell needs to develop a personality and the writing needs to improve. Of course, most shows take a while to hit their stride, but Amell worries me.

I did like the twist at the end. I liked that Ollie isn't afraid to kill, presuming they develop him into a hero that does at some point down the line. I liked the tennis balls. I liked the Deathstroke mask. Some of the cinematography was pretty solid, too. There's plenty to like, presuming the bad doesn't stay bad or get worse.
                            Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Was Susannah Thompson also on Once Upon A Time? For some reason I keep thinking she was on there?

Comment

Originally posted by ConnerW
                                This is all new to me - I don't know anything about the Green Arrow - was a bit confused. I get him and his sister, but I'm not sure about his mom and her new husband. I get the bad guys are from the list his dad gave him - but they aren't the man antagonist - is that his mother and her new husband? I like the idea of redeeming himself - then there is the girl? What to make of her. She doesn't seem to have feelings for the friend like he has for her. The friend seems to be a good side kick but with the girl I can see that sometimes he might not be on his side. She seems to really care about him, wondering if they'll ever have a chance. I was looking for some good strong relationships in this but it looks like he might be all on his own - at least with Batman we knew he had Alfred and with Superman we knew he had his mom and dad. I don't like the idea of him being all on his own without someone to count on - maybe its just to early for me to trust anyone in his life and maybe too soon for him to as well.

Over all I thought it was pretty good. Anything anyone can fill me in about the legion of Green Arrow would be appreciated. I'd like the main antagonist to be made a bit more clear but I can go along on the ride. What I really need to see is that he is not alone - that someone is on his side, has his back. But I'm looking forward to more and that's the main thing. Well acted - good pilot to test the waters. Now the writers need to start making relationships happen.
                                That was a sweet review. I think you got the basics of the pilot just about right. Some pointers:
                                main lead -Oliver Queen, used to be a normal guy, a bad boy in the past, until the island changed him. He is on a mission to bring justice to his city as a hero Arrow
                                His mother - Moira Queen, remarried after Oliver and Her husband (Robert Queen) were presumed dead. She remarried. Walter steele is her new husband. i think he used to be a rival to oliver's father's company.
                                The girl - is Dinah laurel lance, Oliver ex girlfriend and friend, she is in the comics as black canary, a superhero.
                                The friend - is Tommy Merlyn, long time best friends with Oliver , is a new character in comics too. Likely will be enemies with Oliver, maybe.
                                The sister - is Thea, new and original character for the show

I dont think he will be "alone" for long. It will all come together soon, you will see

As far as NBC's Robin Crusoe series, I like it a lot. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes island adventure stories. Arrow kinda feels like were Robin Crusoe would have gone had it gotten a second season. ie Robinson returning to London and seeking revenge on the people who had ruined his life.
                                Thanks I will definately check it out when I have time.
                                Last edited by Aquahyde; 10-11-2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎