X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

9, totally loved it

Comment

Originally posted by Ginx
      I thought it was a good start but agree about Mulan being a flat character. I hope they build off of her more since she seemed to be just thrown in there with no real purpose. I'm still not digging that Belle is 'with' Gold and he's the 'beast' I think they are stretching for that one.... Looking forward to the Hatter coming back hopefully.
      Yepˇ
      I agree about Mulan and "Beauty and the Beast"

Comment

I thought it was a good start to kick off the season.

Comment

I gave it a 7. I thought is was an alright season opener, but I felt like too much was going on in a short time.

I also agree about Mulan being flat, although part of my feelings about that might just be tied to me wondering why Mulan was even in this. She wasn't even a Fairy Tale character, and the only magic in Mulan was from the guardians. Other than that, she was someone based in our world (she lived in China...), so putting her into this episode screamed more of "HEY LOOK AT ALL THE DISNEY CHARACTERS WE CAN PUT IN HERE!" instead of actually having some meaning behind it.

I'm very slowly buying into the Belle/Rumple romance. It was just as rocky in the movie for different reasons, and unless they twist it around to where it doesn't work for some reason, it will.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonatus
            I gave it a 7. I thought is was an alright season opener, but I felt like too much was going on in a short time.I also agree about Mulan being flat, although part of my feelings about that might just be tied to me wondering why Mulan was even in this. She wasn't even a Fairy Tale character, and the only magic in Mulan was from the guardians. Other than that, she was someone based in our world (she lived in China...), so putting her into this episode screamed more of "HEY LOOK AT ALL THE DISNEY CHARACTERS WE CAN PUT IN HERE!" instead of actually having some meaning behind it.I'm very slowly buying into the Belle/Rumple romance. It was just as rocky in the movie for different reasons, and unless they twist it around to where it doesn't work for some reason, it will.
            Mulan is a folklore character there is no longer any primary evidence to support she existed. The closest there is secoundary evidense based on compiled text of fictional literature from the 12th-13th century. And of course Mulan according to those text lived in the 6th century. So saying that it is factual that she existed is extremely misleading. I felt she was the best of the new charaters introduced. Phillip was the worst but was okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Degobunny
              Mulan is a folklore character there is no longer any primary evidence to support she existed. The closest there is secoundary evidense based on compiled text of fictional literature from the 12th-13th century. And of course Mulan according to those text lived in the 6th century. So saying that it is factual that she existed is extremely misleading. I felt she was the best of the new charaters introduced. Phillip was the worst but was okay.
              My point isn't that she's possibly based off an actual person. In fact, that thought didn't even hit my brain.

Even though she had a mouse named Pierre, Cinderella nor anyone else in the movie (I don't count Ever After in this since it was playing it in a more true story sense) never explicitly state that they're in France, that they're really French, or anything of the like.

That's my point. Cinderella could live in this Fairytale land because we know fairies exist in her world, and her world isn't necessarily ours because we're never told in the story explicitly where they're from. We just know that she lives in a magical kingdom where dreams come true and where magic exists. Snow White, it's the same story, as it is with pretty much every other character used so far that I can think of. Gepetto in OUAT has an accent because Gepetto in the Pinocchio movie had a similar accent, though again we don't know where he's from. For all we know, he's also in a made up magical place where puppets can come to life with the help of a blue star fairy.

In Mulan, however, it's explicitly stated many times where she's from. She lives in China, she fought for China, she made all of China proud. My point is that while she may not be based on an actual person, she's based off of the fact that she lives in our world, unless China somehow found out how to appear in another world. That's what I didn't understand and what felt out of place about it to me. These are all characters that are from magical lands where anything can happen and magic exists. Then we have Mulan. From China. In Fairy Tale Land.

Comment

My point isn't that she's possibly based off an actual person. In fact, that thought didn't even hit my brain.Even though she had a mouse named Pierre, Cinderella nor anyone else in the movie (I don't count Ever After in this since it was playing it in a more true story sense) never explicitly state that they're in France, that they're really French, or anything of the like. That's my point. Cinderella could live in this Fairytale land because we know fairies exist in her world, and her world isn't necessarily ours because we're never told in the story explicitly where they're from. We just know that she lives in a magical kingdom where dreams come true and where magic exists. Snow White, it's the same story, as it is with pretty much every other character used so far that I can think of. Gepetto in OUAT has an accent because Gepetto in the Pinocchio movie had a similar accent, though again we don't know where he's from. For all we know, he's also in a made up magical place where puppets can come to life with the help of a blue star fairy.In Mulan, however, it's explicitly stated many times where she's from. She lives in China, she fought for China, she made all of China proud. My point is that while she may not be based on an actual person, she's based off of the fact that she lives in our world, unless China somehow found out how to appear in another world. That's what I didn't understand and what felt out of place about it to me. These are all characters that are from magical lands where anything can happen and magic exists. Then we have Mulan. From China. In Fairy Tale Land.
                so what?In the disney film Mulan had a talking lizard and a intellegent lucky bug. That seems more fairy-tale then real. Also disney's Beauty and Beast, takes place in France, the townspeople and Lumiare, the candlestick, make that clear. So are you going take issue with Belle too? The writers have made it clear that they will take personal liberties with characters and the characters are grounded in stories from the book Mary Margret gave Henry. Belle and Cinderella are clearly not French and Geppetto, accent aside, is not italian. So this is more then just mulan if you are making this about were the characters are from. Clearly this Mulan is not from China, like Belle not being from France.

Comment

I gave it a 7. I thought is was an alright season opener, but I felt like too much was going on in a short time.

I also agree about Mulan being flat, although part of my feelings about that might just be tied to me wondering why Mulan was even in this. She wasn't even a Fairy Tale character, and the only magic in Mulan was from the guardians. Other than that, she was someone based in our world (she lived in China...), so putting her into this episode screamed more of "HEY LOOK AT ALL THE DISNEY CHARACTERS WE CAN PUT IN HERE!" instead of actually having some meaning behind it.

I'm very slowly buying into the Belle/Rumple romance. It was just as rocky in the movie for different reasons, and unless they twist it around to where it doesn't work for some reason, it will.
                  are we twins?

Comment

I thought it was amazing. Really built off the first season beautifully and reall left us wondering what was going to happen next. 10/10

Comment

Originally posted by Degobunny
                      so what?In the disney film Mulan had a talking lizard and a intellegent lucky bug. That seems more fairy-tale then real. Also disney's Beauty and Beast, takes place in France, the townspeople and Lumiare, the candlestick, make that clear. So are you going take issue with Belle too? The writers have made it clear that they will take personal liberties with characters and the characters are grounded in stories from the book Mary Margret gave Henry. Belle and Cinderella are clearly not French and Geppetto, accent aside, is not italian. So this is more then just mulan if you are making this about were the characters are from. Clearly this Mulan is not from China, like Belle not being from France.
                      Ah yes...I did forget Lumiere's special song line of "They can sing and they can dance, after all dear this is France!"

You win this round.

Comment

I'm glad they took up, where they left off, rather than jumping forward 3 months or something. Allowing us to see the characters reaction to their new situation, instead of jumping to when they've already adjusted.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎