Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Snuggled up with Clark at the McDougal Inn
    Well color relieved. *wipes brow* For a moment there you had me in panic mode regarding Dr. Stuart, but thanks to your explanation, I can now relax knowing that Clark's secret is safe.

Always Hold On To SV MrsWolverine's Avatar
    Jenny¡ That was a really good start and I am hooked on with this story, what happened to Lois?? and what happened with Jimmy? Looks like he is alone with the kids and in bad terms with Clois.
    Can't wait for more¡¡ Please PPMS

BTW-I love the at the beginning, so hot and sweet...

Wow, I don't know where to start. Poor Clark, its so heartbreaking to read his thoughts and its hard to read Lois going through this. she must feel so alone right now. But I'm sure Clark will change that soon.

"Clark interrupted shaking his head violently, “Look. Lois isn't like that! We did lose someone a while back but Lois hasn't been hiding from her grief, we've grieved together. And I don't know anything else. I just...”

Okay so who was it that they lost, was it mentioned in the previous chapter and I missed it or haven't you told us yet? Cos I really can't remember.

And uh....Bits?? I can only imagine what kind of situation happened to come up with that nickname but I'm curious as to what her real name is.

And last but not least, poor Jimmy, I'm guessing he's raising the boys alone, which is sad. What on earth is happening? So much pain and suffering around everyone, I hope it gets better soon.

Fantastic update, more soon please.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamClois View Post
    Well color relieved. *wipes brow* For a moment there you had me in panic mode regarding Dr. Stuart, but thanks to your explanation, I can now relax knowing that Clark's secret is safe.
    Yep. His secret is safe when it comes to Dr. Stuart..

Quote Originally Posted by MrsWolverine View Post
    Jenny¡ That was a really good start and I am hooked on with this story, what happened to Lois?? and what happened with Jimmy? Looks like he is alone with the kids and in bad terms with Clois.
    Thanks and there will be answers coming probably in chapter 3 on the Clois/Jimmy relationship front.

Can't wait for more¡¡ Please PPMS

BTW-I love the at the beginning, so hot and sweet...
    More soon. Hoping to have another update by Wednesday if my body cooperates.

and I knew you would.. except more hot and sweet in this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Loulou26 View Post
    Wow, I don't know where to start. Poor Clark, its so heartbreaking to read his thoughts and its hard to read Lois going through this. she must feel so alone right now. But I'm sure Clark will change that soon.
    It's funny i put clois through things when I write them and but it always breaks my heart, yet i cant help it. Am I crazy?

"Clark interrupted shaking his head violently, “Look. Lois isn't like that! We did lose someone a while back but Lois hasn't been hiding from her grief, we've grieved together. And I don't know anything else. I just...”

Okay so who was it that they lost, was it mentioned in the previous chapter and I missed it or haven't you told us yet? Cos I really can't remember.
    Nope not been clarified. I'm getting to it if ur not sure you will be soon.

And uh....Bits?? I can only imagine what kind of situation happened to come up with that nickname but I'm curious as to what her real name is.
    uh.. well you see.. er wait, you'll just have to read about it. Her full name will be revealed eventually..haha

And last but not least, poor Jimmy, I'm guessing he's raising the boys alone, which is sad. What on earth is happening? So much pain and suffering around everyone, I hope it gets better soon.

Fantastic update, more soon please.
    Yeah, is sad right now. And will be a bit angsty but there will be lots of happy, sexy or sweet as well and Jimmy will get some of the happy to, even if he's not right now.

Thanks Babe, and will do soon!.. now.. where is one of your updates missy?! lol

pls up date!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eleidich View Post
    pls up date!!!
    Should be updated tomorrow if not tonight (my time). It's currently 3:35pm for me and I'm working on the update but children come home any min and that can make it hard to write (never mind that im battling dizziness lol). But I am close enough that I believe I should eb able to get it out tomorrow..

How about a couple of teeny tiny teases..

“That?! Clark, you agreed to do the interview. So because I don't listen you rewrite it, I'm surprised you left my name on it!”

He found himself frowning. Clark knew she'd be pissed and he could understand it. But the extent of it bothered him, no angered him a little. Accusing him of rewriting it like she was, was in truth a little unfair.

“Did you actually read any of my changes? Or did you just see a difference and assume...”

Lois took a step back and blinked at him, “You wanna go there? You took out a whole question and answer. You reworded at least five of my sentences completely.”

&

Not even five minutes later he strolled back down the hall, adjusting the sleeves of a fresh suit, having chosen that particular one because she had remarked the style looked sharp on him. Made him hard to resist and lethal.

“Ari..” he called out on the way to her room. Surprised to find her not there, he headed down the penthouse stairs figuring she was waiting for him in entry hall. “Ari”

Again there was no reply and from where he was on the steps he couldn't see her waiting at the door. Before he could call out her name again there was a sudden thump coming from the direction of his home office. Lex turned his head sharply at the sound, frowning deeply.

Carefully he walked over to the little side table that sat beside the staircase, pulling open one of the tiny drawers he removed an ivory handled letter opener. More than sharp enough to suit the moment.

intrigued?

Update ETA: Due to dog getting hurt (he'll be fine) I probably won't be getting this out till tomorrow morning. Sorry
    Last edited by FWvidchick; 09-27-2012 at 02:00 PM.

A/N: A nightmare to post.. or even finish. My week has not gone all that well. But here it is and though I'm not in love with the update I'm postin it. It ended up being longer than I had planned due to the fact Clois sometimes doesn't know when to shut up

Can be read also at my Blog or ff.net

Chapter 2: Confusion

It was a strange sensation to know that just hours before the world had been one way and now was an entirely different reality. Lois found she couldn't escape the surreal haze she was trapped in. The haze was, it seemed, just as much a part of this new reality as her lost identity.

She went from the streets of some new jersey city, to superman’s arms, to a hospital bed and now a jet with a man who was her previous reality’s fiancé. Surreal really didn't cover it.

Hours before, not long in fact after she agreed to go home with him, Clark asked if she'd feel more comfortable flying home privately.

7 hours before

“A jet?” She really hadn't expected that, but to be fair she didn't have any thing to draw expectations from either.

“Yes, it's an option, we have a friend who'd be happy to loan it out.”

“You fly?”

And of course she'd ask that.

“No,” ..Yes, just not like that. “Not me.” Liar. “I just meant that we could go home privately rather than you dealing with the airport and 2nd class seats.” Clark knew how much Lois hated flying second class and airports, actually the only flying she liked was in his arms. The Daily planet, however, hadn't been all that willing to shell out for 1st class.

“Of course it's up to you..” He just wanted her to be comfortable. If that meant she wasn't ready to be alone with him that was okay too.

Lois nodded absentmindedly as she wondered about what she would prefer. After a moment though the choice became pretty clear when she thought about how crazy an airport would be or unsavory flying was.

It was weird to know what she knew about airports, to even be able to picture being stuck behind someone who kept passing gas while the person behind her repeatedly kicked her seat. Yet, she couldn't recall when that had happened or anything surrounding it.

Since she was already so lost and confused, being around a bunch of strangers, rather than one wouldn't be the best route to go. “I think the jet would be nice... so, who's this friend that he would have his own jet?” Wondering how they even knew someone with that kind of money.

And another loaded question. “Uh Oliver Queen,” Clark replied watching her intently wondering if their friend's name would spark something. Her face gave no sign of recognition, instead she stared at him as if waiting for more of an explanation. Inwardly sighing, not because it bothered him to answer her questions but because he wasn't sure if it was a good idea to answer some of them, or how much to say.

“He's the CEO of Queen industries who has the controlling shares of the Daily Planet.” Much to Luthor's dismay.

“Where we work right?'

“Yes”

Lois nodded. Daily planet world-famous newspaper..er news source. Clark Kent her partner and fiancé. Friends with the CEO of Queen industries who practically owned her job. There was definitely more to all of that, but for now she'd stick with the basics.

So now they sat with the hum of the jet acting as a pressure reliever for the silence between them. Lois sat quietly, looking out the window not really seeing any of it as she was more than aware of the man sitting across from her. He was trying not to stare but kept failing. She said nothing about it, couldn't really blame him when she had moments of doing the same to him.

Sometimes she stared because she was trying to understand him, other times she was trying to fathom herself through him. Studying him was both confusing and reassuring. Confusing because she felt there was something underneath the demeanor and geeky look, a hidden aspect of the man. Yet reassuring because in the short time they had spent together she had felt nothing but his sincerity, his genuine care.

Maybe she was wrong to trust her feelings but with no memories all she had was her feelings, her instincts to go by. Somehow she knew that even with memories she'd be sticking with her gut.

When it came to understanding anything about herself through him she gathered one clear image, whoever she was before was someone he felt very close to. It was written in his mannerisms, his facial expressions. She could tell he was trying hard not to crowd her, that he wanted to touch her but restrained himself.

Lois had no idea how to feel about it beyond the idea that at least it wasn't a case of her being some sort of witch to him. It bothered her far more than she wanted to admit that how she was to others mattered. At this point she only had her fiance and Superman to go by, a positive image that took off some of the fear and stress. Being guilty for crimes- emotional, legal or otherwise would have been a bit too much to deal with.

Clark couldn't, despite every single attempt and bit of will power in him, keep his eyes off her. She was without a doubt his weakness just as much as she was his strength. A strength he was unable to find solace in at this time. Instead he had to be hers which was easier said than done when he was a stranger to her and he found himself constantly unsure of what to say.

He wasn't as tongue-tied as before. Thankful that he'd been allowed to stay with her through the remainder of the night. They had talked, mostly chit-chat, idle conversation brought on by things like infomercials and then there was the strange conversation about cocoa. It seemed important to her to know what she liked to drink and if cocoa was high on the list.

Clark knew he needed to find a way to help her and break the ice further between them. It wasn't that she was unfriendly or even seemed bothered by him, nor was she shy of asking questions, but the silences between them were killing him. Suddenly he found himself taking her traits as if to fill in the hole she left.

It was disconcerting. Clark Kent uncomfortable with uncomfortable silences while Lois sat quiet and calm.

As if she could sense his unease, She turned to look at him, sitting across on the other side of the jet with a little cup of juice sitting on the little fold out table in front of her. “I.. I uh.. I guess” Lois began, sitting up straighter in her seat.

Clark did the same, while adjusting his glasses as he waited for her to continue.

“I suppose I should learn a little about myself while we're here.” She gave a slight shrug of her shoulder. Looking suddenly very vulnerable and lost.

The urge to comfort her was quelled for the hundredth time since he had found her this way.

“Yeah, of course. I'm sorry I should have..”

“No..no it's okay. I know your trying to be careful, give me space.”

“I still should have asked.”

Lois shook her head before leaning it back against the head rest of her seat. “ I don't know where to start. Uh” She looked back at him, “How long have uh.. we “ she flicked a finger between them, “been together?”

Oh she was good. Even with amnesia the woman could throw the awkward questions at him.

Not totally sure how to answer that, not when it included the subject of Superman.

“I didn't think it was that hard of a question” She remarked softly at his hesitation.

Clark gave a soft sigh, “No, it's not. Sorry.. um, It's kinda different depending on who you ask. “ Oh that made a lot of sense..not.

Obviously agreeing with his unspoken thought Lois raised an eyebrow. “Well if someone was to say ask me, when I remembered of course, what would I have said?”

A smile appeared on his face which only intrigued her more. “What's so funny?”

“We use to argue about this. You'd say 10 and I'd say 9. Basically, we had this sort of year where we were kinda a couple, but we weren't.” He shook his head.

“Okay..” he was going to have to explain that again later, “so years. But we're not married?”

The smile fell a little, Lois could tell that was a painful subject. Before she could retract her question he went ahead and answered.

“Two years after we became a couple, I asked. That year though wasn't the best year, I mean we were good just there was some issues, things that happened," The kind that separated us for months. “And we put it off. After another year we tried, went through whole planning but again.” Another time of unwanted separation. Clark ran a hand through his hair. “It just got to be complicated. We were finally planning it again when..”

“This happened. “ Lois finished for him. They didn't seem like the luckiest pair if they had been trying to marry off and on for 8 or 7 years.

Obviously feeling a need to change the subject Lois found a question thrown at her in return, “Do you remember anything?”

She shook her head, “Not really. Sometimes I get flashes of things happening but they are so vague and give me nothing to work with. Like I remember being on an airplane but not who I was with or where I was going. I remember Superman and I'm pretty sure I dislike vegetables.”

He nodded and went quiet for a second before asking quietly, “What um..do you remember about Superman? I just ..” He gave a deep sigh, “ you don't have to answer..” he trailed off.

It didn’t take a genius to see that he was trying to be okay with how she remembered something about Superman and nothing of him. Lois could imagine how hard it was for him, to want just as much as she did for her to remember but unable to make it happen. The difference was he had the burden of memories and all the emotions that came with them while she lived in a blank void of confusion with nothing to guide her.

She could, at least, help him like he was trying to help her. Give him the little bit of truth she had, “ I don't really 'remember' him exactly. I know him like..” She rolled her eyes trying to find the right analogy, “The way I know about World War II or that I hate hospitals.”

“I see.” Was Clarks soft reply.

“Do you know him?” She asked. Clark looked up from studying his hands to her face. Such a simple question, but it brought with it a history between them. One he couldn't explain the way he wanted to, at least not now.

Keep it simple Kent. “I do. The three of us were friends.” Friends. The thought broke the dam he had been trying to keep up against the flood of memories he didn't want to deal with in that moment.

Oh how he missed her, even when she was Mad Dog Lane and after his throat.

He heard her coming long before she arrived. Every curse, including his birth on krypton, she made under her breath, every person she almost ran into on the way and the resulting unfriendly exchange reached his ears. Reporters could be a temperamental bunch, at least those with a competitive nature at the Daily Planet and she was one of the worst, and in moments like this she wanted him to know she was coming.

Clark sighed, not really looking forward to the confrontation. He knew when he had made the choice she would be furious at him and he hated making her so. However, this situation was getting out of hand and this was the only way to get her attention.

For the average human the sound of her high heels clicking hard and fast against the floor would have been a signal to flee. But for the Man of Steel it was a preëmpt to possible war. One he hoped to avoid.

“Who the hell do you think you are?” Lois came into their office giving new meaning to bat out of hell with the fury written on her face. She slammed the door behind her as she parked herself in front of his desk where he sat.

“Do you honestly think being my partner in any sense of the word gives you the right to do this?” She threw the rolled up paper into his chest with as much force as she could muster.

“Lois…” He tried to begin as he unrolled the paper, revealing the headline that he had in a way stolen from her. It had been devious he knew but it was worth it if he could get through to her. He was relieved though she had caught wind of it before it went to print.

She pointed down at him “No! You look here, Clark Kent, soon to be bachelor of steel. “ Any other time he may have laughed at that but with her tone of voice and anger in her eyes there was nothing to laugh at. “You changed my article and you think you can come up with an excuse for this. I don't think so, I'm not going to stand here while you reason your way out of it. It was low, underhanded, assine and...”

Clark clenched his jaw. Hating the look of hurt that had begun to walk hand in hand with the rage.

“I don't want to reason my way out of this. I want to talk to you.” He wasn't entirely sure he had put that the right way with how her jaw dropped.

“Excuse me?”

Clark stood to face her, “Lois I tried three times to get you to hold off. “

“What are you talking about? Get me to hold off?”

“Lois you dismissed me twice and third time I was called away. But I tried to tell you, if you kept the interview as it was...”

“That?! Clark, you agreed to do the interview. So because I don't listen you rewrite it, I'm surprised you left my name on it!”

He found himself frowning. Clark knew she'd be pissed and he could understand it. But the extent of it bothered him, no angered him a little. Accusing him of rewriting it like she was, was in truth a little unfair.

“Did you actually read any of my changes? Or did you just see a difference and assume...”

Lois took a step back and blinked at him, “You wanna go there? You took out a whole question and answer. You reworded at least five of my sentences completely.”

Taking a deep breath to calm himself Clark nodded, “Yes I did. But I didn't rewrite the interview.”

“So you're excused?”

“No, but I have your attention now.”

She laughed and it wasn't the kind that he loved to hear. “You have my attention ...Ever hear of a sticky note? Email? I dunno pillow talk? Oh...” She waved her hands in the air, “stabbing me in the back. That's an attention getter!”

“Lois!”

“What if it had gone to print?” she shook her head and moved further away from him, he could see she was shaking a little.

Great Kent, you really did it this time. Dumb ass.

Somehow he had to fix this and get her to see that he meant no real harm, that he was trying to prevent what was already a precarious situation from getting worse.

“Lois, listen to me” She started to open his mouth and he gave her a look he rarely did in the guise of Clark Kent. Lois clamped her mouth shut but glared daggers at him. At least she was quiet, “It would have never made it to print. Why do you think you got wind of it before it did? I wanted you to see it before it would ever get that far. Lois I'm not out to steal your article, I just want your undivided attention. “

He watched her take a deep breath. Still really angry but now he really did have her attention as what she thought was him undermining her was obviously not that simple.

Since he had come out as Superman everything had become ten times more complicated, including their relationship, all aspects of it. Work, love, friendship, competition...all of it seemed to have gone into an upheaval.

It wasn't to say it was bad or damaged, just different and messy. Including the attention the public was giving to Superman and Lois Lane which had an unfortunate consequence that Lois didn't seem to be seeing.

He needed her to see it because losing her would kill him. He was too far gone to ever be able to do this without her.

Lois kept the distance between them but her tone was less hostile, “I'll bite, why did you do this? What exactly have I been dismissing?”

Giving an inward groan, Clark put aside the other issues his words may have caused to focus on the current one. Everything else he could repair later.

He hoped.

Clark opened a drawer on his desk and pulled out a copy of Lois' original interview. He glanced at her as he picked up the famous Lane red correction pen. She raised an eyebrow but said nothing, so he continued feeling a little more positive this would end well.

He circled a number of words and or sentences on it before handing the interview over to her. His hand shook as he did, something he knew she noticed.

“Lois, look…really look at it.”

Frowning Lois took it calmly and read it over, her frown deepening as she did. Clark realized he was holding his breath as he waited for her, mostly certain she'd catch the meaning behind it.

After a minute she looked up and gave a great sigh before turning to look out their office window.

“I'm not sure what to say. “

“Lois, you don't have to say anything.”

She turned to look back at him, “Yes, I do. How did I not notice this?!” She held up the paper. “I'm the one usually pointing these things out to you! So when did I become blind?”

“You're not blind. You're busy...you've been juggling a lot more like I have.” He took a step towards her and was relieved when she didn't seem to object to it. “Lately we've been crisscrossing our wires and tripping over our own feet.”

She nodded and took her own step towards him. He could tell that the anger had been replaced with disappointment in herself. He didn't want that.

“Clark, I'm sorry if I dismissed this earlier... I shouldn't have.”

Clark shook his head, “Lois, I don't need an apology. To be honest I feel I need to. I should have found a better way to get your attention. It just was so frustrating when I couldn't seem to get a moment alone with you to do so. We did the interview and Superman has been constantly busy.”

“Don't I know it, the one night I was home, I ate dinner alone.” She frowned again. “Apology accepted if you accept mine, because I hold some of the blame for our lack of communication to. Sad thing is, I think you needed to get my attention this way.” She gave a sigh and ran a hand over the top of her hair as if to smooth it down when it didn't need it. A sign of her internal agitation.

“Lois...” He began but she shook her head at him.

“No, seriously Smallville. I was caught up in the excitement of it all.” Lois looked up into his eyes and smiled. “You see I'm in love with this hero and being able to help, even if it's by interviewing him and getting the right amount of truth out, is important to me.”

Clark smiled back, “Nothing wrong with that. But we do have a problem.”

Lois again nodded and then to his surprise she punched his shoulder, “Even so, you try that tactic again I'll hurt you.”

“I won't.”

“Good.” She sat down in her chair and glanced at the red marked interview again. “I know this is a problem Clark, and I'm not dismissing your concern but are you sure it's that much of a problem?”

Grabbing his own chair he rolled it over so he could sit knee to knee with her while they discussed the issue. “Yes, Lois... people think you're in love with Superman.”

“I am” She was teasing him.

“They don't need to know that. “ He rolled his eyes. “Let me put it this way. It looks like Lois Lane and Superman might be more than friends and it’s pretty widely known that Lois is now engaged to her partner Clark Kent.”

“There is always that kind of talk, you know this. Since you're début there has been rumors and tabloid garbage. We need to just ignore it.”

“We can't just ignore it when it makes you a target.” Clark returned, “Whether or not Superman likes blondes or brunettes or if he has a secret identity isn't important. Besides being a target do you really want to be seen as Superman's lover?”

Lois folded her arms, “You think they'd make that assumption from an occasional interview? Do you really think it's that big a deal?”

He mirrored her, crossing his arms over his own chest. “As you pointed out there is the celebrity thing and Superman has saved you how many times in the last three months? It takes less for people to match up movie stars with each other. “

With an imploring look Clark uncrossed his arms and leaned forward, “Lois, what if someone with an agenda, someone who wants to hurt Superman gets the idea to use you because of this?” he took a deep breath and picked up one of her hands holding it between his. “I can't ignore that. You are too important to me to not consider the possibility.”

Lois kept her hands in his, remaining quiet, she stared at her blank computer screen. Clark waited patiently for her to think about it. Normally he'd agree with her, just ignore it but something about it all unsettled him and having to save her repeatedly lately reinforced the idea.

Eventually she turned her gaze back to him, her voice soft, a clear indication that she understood the gravity of what he was getting at. “I've always been a target, Clark. I'm not sure we can change that. I can't undo the image we're friends, Superman and Lois have been so before you had the title Superman.”

“No, we can't undo that. I'm not asking for it either. Just that...”

“I need to tone it down.” She interrupted and he nodded.

Lois pressed her lips together in thought, “I can do that but what if we somehow worked Clark Kent into the equation?”

Clark furrowed his brows confused, “Lois?”

Pulling her hand out of his, Lois moved her mouse awakening her computer. “What if Clark Kent also became Superman’s friend, tone down the Lois/Superman friendship and added you. It would decrease the affair gossip and make less of my relationship with the hero. I'd just be one of several friends. I'll rework the interview, we can add your name to the byline.”

“Okay.” He knew that was the best she could promise him and perhaps adding himself into the equation would make a difference. “I'm sorry Lois. It's just I love you so much and I know if anything were to happen to you because of who I am…I…”

Lois gave him a loving soft smile, “I know Smallville, I know.” She picked up his hand and rubbed her thumb over his knuckles in comfort. “Though I can honestly say that 90 % of the time any danger I'm in finds me because of who I am as a reporter or a Lane...take your pick”

“That doesn't exactly make me feel better Lois. It still leaves 10% cause of me and you in trouble that 90% anyway. “ He looked at her over the rim of his glasses in exasperation.

“Honey, I didn't say 10% was you. You're more like 2% “

Clark sighed but appreciated the change of mood, “Lois, still not making me feel better. That leaves a lot of trouble.”

Her smile changed to a playful grin as moved from her chair into his lap, putting her arms around his neck, “Clark you can't control how trouble finds me or how something’s are just the way they are. Like how 5 % is for living in Metropolis.”

“At least it's not Gotham. So what about the last 3%?”

Lois nodded then laughed. “Oh that? That is for those times when I get possessed or attacked and it has nothing to do with any of the other stuff.”

Clark snorted and returned her smile. “It always has to do with the 'other' stuff.”

At her scowl he leaned forward and captured her lips in a deep kiss. Amazed once again at how lucky he was to have her.

It was funny in a painful way the truth of the statement. We're friends. Both Clark and Superman, aspects of himself, as Lois use to tease his own personal chicken and the egg. Or the more preferred analogy two sides of the same coin. Now he was back to being separate men in her eyes and it killed him. One thing he never wanted was to be in this position again.

To tell her or not? And when?

Questions he hoped to answer after they saw Emil that afternoon.

Martha came into the waiting room juggling three cups of coffee, good coffee since she had no intention of subjecting Lois further. Her eyes fell on her son who held his head in his hands. His colour was back but she could still see the signs of exhaustion. Only two things could make Clark like this, grief or worry over his family.

It had broken her heart earlier when she had arrived and Lois went with Emil, to have Clark pull her into a hug. The sort a child gave to their mother when in need of comfort. She had held him and whispered reassurances that Lois would be okay. That he could do this.

Now she could only hope it would be. Not that she didn't believe Clark and Lois could over come this but with the loss of Chloë not even a year ago, she was reminded that somethings were painfully beyond their control.

Placing the coffee, destined to go cold, carefully down Martha sat beside her son, rubbing a hand up and down his back. Thankful they had the waiting room to themselves. Emil had apparently made sure to reorganized his schedule so they would have privacy, well not just because of that. The clinic served a particular type of clientele they weren't prepared to explain to Lois yet.

One of Chloe's legacies, the clinic. A project her and Emil had thrown themselves into, to help the meteor infected and keep them from turning to those who'd take advantage of them. Eventually it also served as a backup for treating heroes and a place to take their families and avoid unwanted questions. The meteor infected were only portion of who the clinic helped so it had a reasonable cover, helped the rest of the community as well.

Sliding scale fee, no questions asked policy. Funded by charities supported by Wayne enterprises and Queen industries kept it out of Luthor's hands and influence.

It was where she had brought Bits in for her last checkup. Martha was impressed with Dr. Hamilton's ability to adapt to the challenges of a half Kryptonian patient. Also with the continuing care and friendship he had with Clark and Lois.

“Mom is she alright. Should I go see her tonight?” Clark finally looked over at her.

“Clark, she is fine. Misses you but is just fine and if you see her right now she'll want her mom even more. Leave it till tomorrow, she likes Jimmy and the boys .” Martha leaned over and kissed the side of his head. “He promised he'd call if she was having a hard time.”

It was a good thing the little girl was easy going. All the best bits of her parents with nothing to weigh her down yet. Martha hoped it would stay that way for a long time.

“Clark, Martha” Emil's voice startled them both.

“Is she okay?” Clark asked standing. Looking as worried as he felt.

Emil held up a hand, “She's fine. She's is in the middle of getting an x-ray at the moment. Why don't we go talk?” He tilted his head towards his office in the back.

Once in his office, Martha with them as Lois would have wanted her there, Emil took a seat behind his desk and opened a folder he placed before them. It was hard to miss the fact the normally sedate Clark Kent was extremely fidgety, and like the mother she was, Martha patted his leg to calm him.

“I gave Lois a physical and looked over the results Doctor Stuart sent me. I agree with his findings though I am concerned about the bruise on her neck. I sent for another x-ray, I also would like to have her go in for second CT scan and MRI to compare with in couple of days.”

Clark felt physically sick at the mention of the bruise, his mind focused on that point. “Why are you concerned with the bruise?”

Emil pointed at the photo in the folder, it showed Lois' bruise, “I believe I've seen an identical one recently. Until I remember where I am just investigating further, it may prove to be nothing to worry over. I've told Lois that if any other bruises appear to let me know and I'd like you to watch out for a list of behaviors as well.” At the increasingly worried expression on Clark's face, Emil added, “It's all precaution, I don't expect there to be anything to worry about.”

“As for her memory. That could change yet and until it does stick with how you've been handling it. Lois doesn't show any signs of distress and trusts you, this is very good Clark, it's the best thing for her. To feel safe and secure, to move at her own pace.”

Clark nodded and took a deep breath. Martha knew he needed a minute, “What about Bits? Do you think she can handle finding out she is a mother.”

Startled at the question Clark threw her a shocked look, “Mom...”

“Clark, it's a fair question. She doesn't remember being a mom and right now it's confusing. I've only spent five minutes with her so far and I can see it. Yes, she does seem to trust you but piling a baby on it could really throw a wrench in.”

Emil nodded, “Give her a day or two if you can. I do think she can handle it and whatever you do, don't lie if she asks. If she continues to make positive adjustments tell her and follow her lead.”

Clark knew they were right. Lois, even with memories, sometimes doubted herself as a mother. How much harder would that be if she couldn't remember her own baby? Emil's words on not lying brought up another question. Something a bit bigger than motherhood.

“Do I tell her I'm Superman? And if so, when?”

Emil leaned back more than aware some of Clark's sanity was riding on his answer, “I can't say. The more time you spend with her and the more she re-acclimates to her environment the better equipped she should be to handle that. Clark, I wish I could give you an easy answer. I think overall it's the same one as before. Follow her lead and don't lie if she asks you directly. Keep her trust and it should all be fine.”

Fine. Nothing about this was fine. Clark looked over at his mom and felt his heart relax a little when she squeezed his hand. Lois had agreed to Martha staying with them, he wasn't sure why she had but it meant the world to him that his mother would be there, that she'd help them through this.
    Last edited by FWvidchick; 09-29-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Lois glanced down the hall, taking in the fixtures and décor which indicated pricey. How did they afford to be able to live in such a nice apartment building? She thought as she continued to follow Clark down the hall, not sure what to expect when they walked into his, no their apartment.

“This looks like a really nice place.”

Glancing at her, Clark nodded, “It is.” he gave her a brief friendly smile.

“Not to sound rude but how do we afford it? I mean okay two paychecks but on a journalist pay?”

There she went with the awkward questions again. This is was going to be fun. Clark put the suitcases down as they approached their door. “It was a wedding gift. “

Lois stared at him incredulously. Was he for real? “But we aren't married.”

“We would have been if our wedding hadn't been crashed.”

He was serious. Closing her eyes for a second, Lois decided to ignore the questions that came with that statement and move on.

“I see. So this Oliver Queen guy pays for our apartment too?”

Clark sighed and ran a hand over the back of his neck sheepishly. “No, uh...another friend...”

“Are we in some sort of um, secret society or something or are we just popular in wealthy circles?” She added a smile so he wouldn't think she was being critical. Really she was just intrigued and confused.

Smiling back Clark had to chuckle, her reaction was a little spot on in a way and admittedly funny. “I guess you could say we're popular.“ You have a way of charming heroes.

He decided to go for the business angle to avoid the Superman one. “Oliver and Bruce Wayne, who owns this building..” Something else Luthor hates. “Do business together. We met Bruce that way and became friends.”

Clark added a shrug hoping she'd accept that, it was true just not the whole truth. “When we were suppose to get married the last time, Bruce gave us a deal on an apartment. We still pay rent just much more in our price range.” Actually Bruce had given them a ridiculous deal but refused to accept no for an answer. Plus it has better security something which is needed with who I am and who you are.

There was camera's all in the halls, even one their apartment which focused on their front door. As long as they didn't get hot and heavy at the door their privacy was maintained. It was also locked down tightly, non residents could not get in the building unless invited. The extra benefit was the secluded balcony as well, which allowed for his coming and going, a bit of reassurance he wouldn't be accidentally seen.

Lois nodded yawning, “Okay, fair enough.” Apparently the day was catching up to her.

Clark noted it and opened the door, “Still hungry or do you want to lay down first?”

“Is there something quick I can eat?” Lois took in the apartment as she stepped in, moving aside so Clark could bring their luggage in.

It was lovely, simple and sweet. She could immediately see the aspects of two people sharing a life together. If she had felt more awake Lois knew she'd probably be able to see bits of who she was in the knickknacks and decorations.

At the fridge Clark opened it and frowned at the bare shelves, glad his mother had decided to pick up some essentials before she came over. He pulled out a yogurt, noting the date on it was still good and placed it on the counter. “You like these. It's sometimes the only way you eat fruit.” He smiled at her and got one in return.

“I'm that bad huh?” she took it and the offered spoon, settling herself on a stool at the breakfast bar. Purposely avoiding a look around, she needed time to soak in everything else she had learned that day as well as wanting to be refreshed before she immersed herself in the apartment.

“Yes, well.. vegetables yes. Fruits you like but I've always, I try.. had to.. remind you to eat..right” Clark shook his head slightly at his own word fumbling. Lois just laughed before digging in.

Watching her, Clark realized that she wasn't all that different as he first thought she was. Yes, there was some definite differences but somethings were also very much the same. She seemed to be more Lois like as the hours passed on.

He tried to not let it get his hopes up. Remembering what Emil had said about it taking time.
    One of those differences was very obvious as she sat there and ate her yogurt in silence.

Completely comfortable in what he felt was not a comfortable silence. Maybe it was just because he missed her rambling on about something that it felt uncomfortable. They virtually shared every part of their day, especially over a meal. It was the time to connect and recoup.

It hurt how much he missed her, the her who remembered him.

Yogurt finished she stood up and glanced around for a trash can. Clark held out his hand and disposed of it for her when she passed it over. “I guess I should give you a tour at some point.”

“Yeah” Lois yawned again, “Tomorrow though, I know it's early but I'm so tired.”

Clark shook his head, “There's no need to apologize. It's been a really long day and neither of us has really slept for a while.”

He moved around the counter and gave her a soft smile, “I do think a small tour is necessary right now. I imagine you'd like to use the bathroom.”

“Uh yeah! Lead the way” She returned the smile. He could tell she felt awkward but she seemed to be handling it well, seemed to like him.

After showing her where the restroom was Clark made sure both the their bedroom and guest room were comfortable, unsure which one she'd want.

Lois came out a few minutes later with a robe around her. Obviously found the farm yard printed robe hanging up, a gag gift from a few years back.

“Is this mine?” She asked looking a little doubtful.

“It is in the sense you always steal it.“ He replied amused.

“I take it I do that a lot.”

“Yes, it's one of your many..” sexy.. “charms.”

And suddenly the awkward hit like a tidal wave. He hadn't meant for her to take it suggestively but she obviously had felt it was. Or she read his mind.

Hoping to make it easier he glanced away and asked, “You can sleep in either bedroom, the guest or...” Great that really didn't help. “My mom is fine with either.”

Lois looked between the two rooms he indicated before focusing her attention on the third. Before he could stop her she was at the door, which he had forgotten to close all the way. “Whose room is this?”

Clark watched as her face paled when she opened the door fully. It was very clearly a nursery and that meant she now knew what he had hoped to tell her tomorrow.

“Oh...”

“I'm sorry I was going to tell you. I just wanted to give you a chance to rest before I dropped that on you.”

A mother. She was a mother. Glancing down she realized the signs had been there with her body all long, she just hadn't connect it. Lois wasn't sure she was ready to deal with it. The idea of a baby who would obviously need his or her mother, depending on her, was a bit much.

She shook her head, “it's fine..I just, I'm sorry I can't do this right now.” Noticing the dent in the door frame she ran a finger along it before glancing at Clark's worried face. “Night.”

He nodded. Wanting to reach out to her, make it better. Realizing he had lifted his hand he pulling it back suddenly. “Night..”

Lois turned toward the door to her right then turned back around, “Thank you. Thank you for helping me.” Before he could answer she went in. To tired to realize she had chosen their room or to even care.

Sleep was all she could focus on, all she could handle.

Once the door was closed behind her, Clark gave a big sigh. Telling himself she would be alright that she hadn't freaked out. He turned back to look at the gouge in the door frame. Smiling softly, despite himself, he remembered coming home to find a four month pregnant Lois trying to move the rocking chair into the room by herself. A feat she'd normally find easier but her changing body and raging, or crazy as he had once foolishly joked, hormones had left her struggling.

She had been in such a state of anxiety. After he had calmed her and set the chair where she wanted, Lois had sat down in it and implored him with her doleful hazel eyes asking silently for reassurance. Even after all these years with her it could still surprise him how she could be so very strong and brave in some ways, full steam ahead, no holds bar. While in other ways her insecurities could leave her seriously doubting herself and the amazing woman she was. A side of her the world wasn't often privy to, the vulnerability of Lois Lane.

Moving into the room Clark looked down at the chair and closed his eyes. It almost seemed like yesterday if he allowed himself the luxury of pretending that nothing was different now.

“Lois it's going to be alright. You know that right?” He had bent down before her.

Hands sprawled over her small baby bump Lois sighed and nodded, staring down at her lap.

Clark moved a little closer till he was in between her legs before gently tipping her chin with a caress of his hand to look at him. Once their eyes locked he gave her a small smile, “Our baby is going to be so lucky. An army brat for a mother and a clueless Kryptonian for a father.” Bringing up an old joke.

“He or she will excel at rebelling against Grandpa Generals and AI's while being Super oblivious to all the amazing things before them?” She quipped. He could hear a touch of amusement in her voice but he knew she needed more.

Smiling he shook his head, “No...Lois they will learn to be strong and courageous, have a heart for compassion and justice, will accomplish great things because of the most amazing woman.”

Lois swallowed, “Smallville...I don't know how to be a mom. Amazing as I am,” she tried to smile at that but failed, “I don't think I could be anything like your mom, or mine.”

Leaning fully up so his face was more even with hers Clark cupped her cheek. “You don't have to be like anyone. Lois you have so much love to give and that will make you a wonderful mom all on its own. You have your own experiences to draw from and dreams to pass on.” he rubbed his thumb gently along her cheekbone, wiping away the tear that had fallen. “And you'll have me...”

A few more tears later Lois had leaned forward touching her forehead to his, “Thank you....you always know what to say, thank you.”

Clark blinked and wiped away a tear. With a shuddering breath he turned to look around the room. Missing Bits, his baby girl and his Lois, the one that remembered tender moments between them, the woman he should be holding now. There wasn't any way he could sleep tonight, especially not on the couch with all the memories it too would hold.

Instead he decided the rocking chair would do. Clark pulled a quilt off the end of the crib and sat down, holding the blanket to his chest as he closed his eyes. Refusing to dwell on the days events or live in the untouchable past.

In the end it was emotional exhaustion from the last 24 hours that claimed him. Lulled to sleep by the steady beating of the heart in the room next door.

“If you're going to dress like that we'll never make it to our reservation” Lex leaned down to whisper in her ear as he caressed his hands down the shoulders of his new bride standing in front of the full length mirror. Her strapless violet colored dress showed off her long legs and hugged every curve, her dark black hair hug down in silky waves framing an exotic face that tempted him to call and cancel at that moment.

Arianna smirked at his reflection, “We do that and you'll be kicking yourself later Mi amor” She turned in his arms, smiling up at him for a moment before she slide out of his hold and moved away, “Now go. Plenty of time for that later, I promise.”

Lex sighed knowing she was right, watching as she went over to her dresser and began to put on her earrings. After a moment of admiring, a smile teasing at his lips, he turned and headed for his room. Fully intending on taking her up on her promise later. Right now they were going to be a little late as it was, all the power at his finger tips and he was still subjected to meetings running late. Of course Arianna had proceeded to get ready as if it was all running to plan, calm, cool and collected.

If there was anyone who could enhance his image it would be that woman and not just because she looked divine.

Not even five minutes later he strolled back down the hall, adjusting the sleeves of a fresh suit, having chosen that particular one because she had remarked the style looked sharp on him. Made him hard to resist and lethal.

“Ari..” he called out on the way to her room. Surprised to find her not there, he headed down the penthouse stairs figuring she was waiting for him in entry hall. “Ari”

Again there was no reply and from where he was on the steps he couldn't see her waiting at the door. Before he could call out her name again there was a sudden thump coming from the direction of his home office. Lex turned his head sharply at the sound, frowning deeply.

There was only two scenarios that fit this moment. Either someone else was in his home, which meant his wife was endangered for he had the best security money could by. Or just as equally upsetting, Arianna had gone into his office.

The deal was she stayed out of any and all business not related to her, this included never stepping foot in his home office, in return he'd give everything he could to further her research and humanitarian efforts. Helping her was a win for him on so many levels as much as it was for her.

Carefully he walked over to the little side table that sat beside the stair case, pulling open one of the tiny drawers he removed an ivory handled letter opener. More than sharp enough to suit the moment.

Quietly, and more calmly than he felt, Lex made his way towards his office. There was another thump just as he got to the threshold, the sound of papers spilling. Carefully he peaked inside, first to see the documents littering his floor and when his eyes moved back up she came into view, back turned to the door.

Anger filled him. The feeling of betrayal.

Arianna had been his exception to a loveless life, he hadn't been looking for love when had met her, in fact he had abhorred it. Because of past experiences, when he realized his feelings for her ran deeper than casual, he had looked into her past and nothing of her history pointed to anything other than the person he had come to know. A woman who viewed the world in a more positive light than he did but also felt he could do great good, a woman who also feared the damage done by heroes such a Superman. Someone who he honestly believed loved him.

So why would she do this? Break the deal? In the back of his mind he heard the mocking voice of his father commenting that all women were duplicitous. He couldn't recall when he had said it but that wasn’t unusual, he had years taken from him. Just scattered pieces were left, faint echos of a previous life.

Growling, he pushed open the door fully, crossing over to her before she could react. Grabbing her arm, wrapping his own around her neck, pressing the tip of the blade against the delicate skin of her throat. “Who's paying you off?” he hissed. “What did I miss Arianna?”

Arianna said nothing and even seemed relaxed against him. That wasn't like her. He had seen her defend herself. Lex repeated the questions and added, “If this isn't what I think it is tell me now? Arianna this is your only chance. I won't be betrayed again.”

Her replied stunned him. No words just the simple act of her fist slowly moving up and revealing a chess piece in the palm of her hand. A black king.

Him.

She was working for him? Somewhere deep inside Lex hoped that she could prove her innocence that this was all against her will. He hated that he felt this need for her.

Lex lowered the blade of the letter opener and pushed her suddenly away, causing the lower half of her body to collide with his desk. “You have four minutes.” His tone rang like steel as he waited.

It was the second shock he would receive. Her expression was not only devoid of any emotion, she stood stiffly facing him, none of her usual sensuality or warmth of eyes.

After a brief moment those eyes suddenly locked with his and in a monotonous voice she replied, “Do you like my gift lex?”

“Excuse me?”

“I thought you'd enjoy the packaging of your lovely wife. No worries though, I kept my tinkering to a minimum. Would hate to damage such a beautiful specimen.”

Lex didn't bother to reply this time as he knew the message he was about to receive was in effect a 'recording'.

“As I warned you before, there would be consequences if you attempted to open up the Mnemosyne project again.” The reminder and threat continued from the mouth of his wife even though she wasn't really present in the room with him. “I thought long and hard about the best way to 'deal' with this situation. As much as it would be convenient for her destruction to be appropriate retribution I am not fooled. You are Luthor, love is to easily tossed aside. However, power is not.”

What did that mean? Power is not.

“Look out for a gift, a specially tailored torment just for you. The wrath of memory devoid lane will lead to roads unfavorably traveled. Enjoy your gift.”

Questions were never his friend. Lex resisted the urge to uselessly ask the meaning behind the message. Expecting more, he was for the third and final time taken by surprise when Arianna rapidly blinked and stumbled back a little.

“Lex..” She questioned.

“Ari?” He returned still unsure and watching her.

Obviously disoriented Ari put a hand to her head, “What's.. whats going on?”

Neither wanting to or sure how to explain it, Lex stepped forward and took hold of her by the shoulders, gently guiding her to the door. “We're late.”

“Yes, I know but..Lex why were we in your office..” Sounding worried.

Of course she noted that.

“No reason. “ He reassured her, turning her so he could look her in the face as they now stood in the hall. “You came to check on me, that's all.” Lex smiled down at her, feeling relief that she hadn't betrayed him, worried though that the Black King had lied, done more to her than using her to leave a message.

“You ready?” he asked.

Arianna searched his eyes before nodding. “Yes, I have a slight headache suddenly” She took a deep breath before continuing, swaying into him slightly when he reached up to tuck a lock of hair behind her ear, “ but I think I'll be alright. Let's go before it gets any later” She gave him a small reassuring smile before turning and heading down the hall as if nothing more was amiss.

Lex frowned as he watched her go, he'd make sure she would see a doctor tomorrow even if all she had been used for was to send a message there still could be damage, the Mnemosyne project proved this years ago.

Unsettled, Lex glanced back at his office. The chess piece now laid on its side at his desk. Quickly walking back in Lex swept it up and into his pocket.

Trying not to let the threat of a 'gift' get to him.

“The wrath of memory devoid lane will lead to roads unfavorably traveled. Enjoy your gift.”

Lex's wife Arianna.

Good? Bad? Thoughts? Toss me some cookies!
    Last edited by FWvidchick; 09-28-2012 at 10:17 PM.

'Memory devoid lane'. Is that a reference to Lois? And Mnemosyne - Greek personification of memory (thank you Google!)? What is Lex up to?

Next Episode: Comfort KatherineKent's Avatar
    Oh my goodness. So Lex hasn't wiped Lois mind, Checkmate (black king) has. And he has control of Lex's wife. Ahhh. I don't know why I even throught this would be a simple story just because it was your writing exercise!!!

Can't wait for more. I also want to see Lois connecting with Clark, yet also wondering why things feel more than just familier with Superman too.

New In Town
    Oh no! Does "The wrath of memory devoid lane" mean she's gonna be super pissed when she finds out
    abut Clark's dual identity, and possibly ...wait.

Okay first I thought that it would mean Lex would somehow find out about supes if she were pissed enough,

but I just re-read that part, and think that Lex's -what was it called?- Mnemosyne project was what blanked -out
    Lois' mind, but power (aka, Superman) wont be so easy to deal once the pieces are connected to Lex, than the random person's head, being messed with. In other words, anyone other than Superman's girl, as the case may be.

Not sure if I'm making sense..kinda loopy...

anyway, I'm intrigued, and as sad as I am that Clark feels so lost, I'm on the edge of my seat. I want Lois to
    tryst him, but I don't want her mad when she gets in on the super-secret.

Incurable Postaholic bigvillir001's Avatar
    outstanding wow more plz

Wow

Didn't see that coming I thought lex did the mind wiping and Lois finding out she is a mother I can't wait for Clark to tell her all about their daughter.

Update soon.

Great updates Jenny, how should one read into the line, "“The wrath of memory devoid lane will lead to roads unfavorably traveled. Enjoy your gift.”

I mean this pretty much describes what Lois is right now right? Pleas continue Jenny.

Okay so Lex didn't hurt Lois, he wasn't even close to her..... Checkmate I those guys!!!! And i have a bad feeling about all of this!!!

Update as soon as you can !!!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast