No announcement yet.

COMBAT and PROGENY Official Re-Watch Thread, August 24th, 2012

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJ Doena
    She did more than that. She blackmailed a doctor and threatened the future of his family in Arrow. Karma is a female dog.
    haha!

Comment

• Definitely Lana didn't deserve any of that, but man! everyone warned her about Lex, and she dismissed it all. Oh! Yay, Erica and the Superman tags!

It was a great rewatch!! See you all next friday!!!!!
      Last edited by Ankhara; 08-24-2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• well, I can't wait for Noir!
        see you next week

Comment

• Good rewatch. I am going to go watch Combat now, since I missed it earlier. TW does a great job with angry Clark!

See everyone next week for Nemesis and Noir, both of which I quite enjoy.

Comment

• MrsK: If you write Combat comments I'll be here to talk to you. For some weird reason that episode is fresh in my mind.

PS: Yay, my 1,800th post.
            Last edited by DJ Doena; 08-24-2012, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Chloe's mom left when Chloe was 5, 8 and "before she was 12".

fan wank: Maybe she left for a while when she was 5 but came back and ultimately left when she was 8. The age of 12 is just a milestone for Chloe because that's when she moved from Metropolis to Smallville.
              But she must have been in Smallville for some time to be infected. Her mother, too. Or was there enough meteor rock in the vegetables her father buyed in Smallville? One wonders if her father is infected, too.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by kal-el_Girl
              where did chloe get all that strength to knock Lex out?
              It is not that difficult, more about where one hits than mere strength. And it is Lex, he likes to be unconscious - just hard to kill.

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by skully
              Lex is delightfully evil in this episode.
              I have read this phrase "delightfully evil" regarding Lex before. What exactly does it mean? When is somebody "delightfully evil"?

----- Added 7 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by MrsK
              True. If they hadn't shown a blonde woman in S5, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but since they did...
              Maybe Chloe's mother blonded herself and they didn't do it in the clinic any more?

----- Added 10 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by DJ Doena
              What I can't believe is that Oliver really didn't "acquire" the formula to the wake-up drug and helped her. I know she's going to say that she's dangerous. But Oliver can hide her.
              Maybe he did and after "Cure" he could also have "acquired" a way to cure Chloe's mother, too. Lex obviously kept healing the infected. Maybe she and Chloe's father live somewhere happily and secretly. It is one of my speculations that Chloe hid her family and that is why her father didn't come to her wedding and was never even mentioned any more except in that Jor EL vision end of season seven.

----- Added 13 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by DJ Doena
              It's fascinating how Lex seems to have guardianship authority over everyone. Remember when he wanted to transfer Chloe from SMC to Belle Reve in Tomb without asking anyone from the family for permission?
              That is the Luthors. Remember the time when Clark loved to use it? Can you get that convicted out of prison, Lex? Can you get me into the football team ? ...

----- Added 22 Minutes later -----

Lex: This man is a violent psychopath.
              Moira: Good for him.
              I think this shows Moira's infection. She is already a psychopath, willing to hurt others with her power for her own goals. I mean, she knew that that infected guy she influenced would do anything (including killing innocents) to kill Lex. I don't think she would have risked that just to kill Lex if she was still sane. I mean, what did she know about Lex? That he had cured her with an experimental drug and was not yet willing to let her see Chloe. And that he wanted her power to control other psychopaths with powers. Sorry, but that is hardly a reason to kill somebody, and even less to risk others to die for this goal. Not to mention that killing Lex would hardly have solved anything. Somebody else would have stepped into his place. Nothing would have changed.

----- Added 24 Minutes later -----

Lex really should have anticipated that Moira wouldn't cooperate!
              He did. That is why he gave her something from Chloe. He hoped she would reach her daughter through it so that he could know if she really had that power.

----- Added 29 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Ankhara
              "That's why I left, to protect you from me" OMG!!! So sad.
              She was still sane here. And then she hyṕnotized herself to go into coma! That order was obviously so stong even Lex's drug didn't work for long.

----- Added 35 Minutes later -----

I like this scene at the 33.1 facility when under-control Chloe takes charge.

And Clark's "I think I'll let you die, Lex" moment as the gas grenade was about to hit him was powerful.
              Was that really what he thought? I wondered, if he just took his time to look at the odd "bullet". Just like he did during other scenes with Ollie's odd arrows. I mean, Lex desperately searching for a way to keep the meteor infected from killing innocents should not be a reason for Clark to let Lex die. Seriously, if Moira had cooperated (not likely because she was insane herself) Lex could have let most of the patients go. Moira just would have needed to give some commands to the infected - like, "don't kill humans", and they could at least live an almost normal life.
              Last edited by Freawaru; 08-25-2012, 12:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Chloe's mom left when Chloe was 5, 8 and "before she was 12".
                Continuity never was a strong point for the show. I honestly wish they had somebody on staff whose only job was to be an expert on the series and stuff that happened or said and to read through script to catch any errors

As for the episode it's a mixed boat. I am not a huge fan of Progeny but there is nothing stand out terrible about the episode so while it's not on my rewatch list it's passable entertainment(I probably would enjoy it more if I was into Chloe and the meteor freak storyline, although if I was a fan of Chloe I would probably be annoyed that why waste a Chloe centric episode on her being a meteor freak, why not have a Chloe centric episode of her actually doing her job(something which it didn't seem like we got much of during her time at the Daily Planet)). I should probably add there is one idiotic Clark save in progeny that bugs me. Basically Chloe puts a piece of green K on him and we then flash to sometime later that evening and Martha comes in and pulls it off of him. I guess on the bright side that save was easy to ignore compared to some other ridiculous Clark saves(to often they have Clark looking useless as a key part of an episode(see Solitude)) but it still bugs me to no end.

As for Combat, the middle 20 minutes are great, the starting and last 10 minutes dragged down the episode. This is a problem for me with many S6 episodes(especially ones in the second half) that basically trying to interject Clexana triangle drama into the episode completely ruins a good premise for an episode, many episodes in S6 would have been way better if they were more standalone instead of trying to fit Clexana into the plot(Hydro, Crimson, Combat, Nemesis and Phantom all could have been some of the best episodes of the series if Clexana wasn't an issue in them, instead all leave me with a feeling that something just isn't right in the episode although I did enjoy some parts of them alot). I could only imagine how great Combat would be if the episode was completely standalone from anything else happening in S6, probably would make my top 5 episodes
                Last edited by Supsfan; 08-25-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I find it odd that Chloe would be the one on sandwich duty mere hours after she's finally met her mother after years of absence.

I know it's important for the emotional scene later on. But it still doesn't make sense. Clark could have gotten the sandwwiches just as easily.
                  I think they felt they still had to protect her from Lex.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

I didn't like this Doctor's snotty attitude towards Lana.
                  I think he had a point. I mean, how likely is Lana's story?

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Ankhara
                  "Deal?" Once again I'll say this...you're evil Lex!!!!!
                  No. If he was evil Chloe and the others would just have accidents.
                  Last edited by Freawaru; 08-26-2012, 12:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• The 2 WWE Champions SV used in season 6 should have been traded in the episodes they were used in!!!!!

Kane should have been used to play Aldar...........he looks like a bone marrow eating glutten!

David Batista should have played Titan............he looks the part of a giant warrior.........muscles on top of muscles and 1 percent body fat!!!!!!!

Comment

• ^ Batista or Kane would have made for a cool Darkseid. Just cover their mouths so you could even do voice overs with some acting skill suitable for the character. Ashley would have made a terrific Fury.

As for the episode Combat itself: One of my favorites on the whole show. I like how different the A and B plots were. Clark's motivation might have been off but I appreciated the drive to stop the Phantom. Lois was awesome in this episode from the way she found the place to how she took pictures and faced off against Athena. His "fight" with Clark was hilarious and she even tried to attack Titan! Clark's and Titan's brawl was the highlight of the episode. Really good moves and tension. Best fight in the entire show. Even the Lex-Lana scenes were moving and balanced the action heavy A-plot.

Comment

• Just wanted to add: did nobody wonder how Lex knew exactly what Chloe was doing in the DP? He even knew what she wrote to the extent to quote it and I doubt he could see it from where he stood. He came into the DP to make his "deal" with her, knowing what she was writing even before entering.

And Chloe mentioning their (Lex and her) "playing ball ("hardball, softball, any kind of ball". One cannot play ball if one does not know one's adversary and where they stand or move. I think, Chloe is quite aware that Lex knows pretty well what is going on, that he knows who are the "terrorists" that attack him and that Chloe is now a part of them. Because otherwise we don't see Chloe and Lex playing any kind of "ball", right? Just a few weeks ago she was at his wedding. In no way we see them fighting each other officially or privately. So her statement to Lex - which he accepts without question - makes only sense if we assume that they both know what Chloe did and does and that Chloe knows that Lex knows about it.

We see Chloe mentioning "playing ball" several times over the series. For example, when Black Thursday happened she called it "definitely hard-ball", right? I think, her final game with Lionel when he was in prison counted as "hardball" to her, too. And that is why she reacted so harshly to Lex as she did. She feared that their soft-ball "terrorist" (let's face it, it is mainly just Lex's property that is blown up and nobody gets hurt) game would turn into Luthor hardball, hurting her family. She had warned Jimmy about the Luthor hardball.

Did she really expect to get her article published? I doubt it. If she had really wanted to publish it she would have done it in secret (for example in Ollie's place) instead of the DP she must know Lex (not to mention Lionel) keeps monitoring. Or told her uncle about it. Or gone to the CIA, FBI, whatever. If you ask me she really just wanted to show Lex that he had gone too far by including her family into the game. And that prison was not enough to scare her. If you ask me, Lex had no plan B at all, because if he had he would have threatened her with it.

Comment

• sorry banners are late, I've been recovering after becoming a mum

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎