Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Chloe get her meteor freak power back?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Chloe get her meteor freak power back?

One of the most interesting character developments Chloe went through over the course of the Smallville series was when she became meteor infected. It opened fresh stories between for Chloe as far as her friendship with Clark as well as her personal view on meteor freaks.

I am curious to see whether people think that her meteor freak power should be brought back at some point.
    Yes!
    0%
    umm....no.
    0%
    Maybe
    0%
    other
    0%

I always wondered if whether they took it from her at the beginning of Season 8 was to ensure that she wouldn't be capable of healing any of Davis' victims; bringing one back to life and having that person ID his/her killer would have killed a lot of that plotline in the first two-thirds of the season (not to mention being stuck with their non-canon Jimmy at the end of it all).

As far as bringing it back... I don't know. I would say it's a little too convenient a power (but not more so than the miraculous ways Ollie and Tess were healed in seasons 9 & 10). Plus I think the meteor-freak story line died in season 8. Once the show started to focus on DCU characters the idea of whether to be sympathetic of the meteor infected or afraid of them was sort of dropped like a hot potato (w/the exception of the Metallo ep). If BQM wants to bring other meteor-infected characters back I'd be up for seeing Chloe's power reassert itself somehow, seeing her as an advocate for the meteor-infected community would be interesting, but I don't know that I'd like to see it revived strictly to serve as a do-over device for other characters.

Comment

I thought it was great character development for Chloe.
      Here she was, with a healing power she couldn't even use because it was basically a wound transference power. So she would end up harming herself if she tried to heal others with it. They didn't really need to remove her powers, they just had to point out that she would be harming herself by healing others. And Chloe would have to wonder if it was worth it to heal strangers who she didn't even know, if it meant that she would be putting herself into harm's way every time.

In some ways it was a lost opportunity to really explore her character here. I mean, Chloe had some pretty traumatic experiences like being stuck in a morgue freezer for god knows how long... yet they brushed that aside and they acted like that never happened? They should really had gone into indepth the monkey's paw effect of those meteor powers, and how we could end up sympathizing with any meteor infected now that we got to see what it was like though Chloe's eyes.

such a waste. in a way that would had been way better than the doomsday storyline.

Comment

I was actually glad, when they got rid of it. By the time they introduced it, they had clearly already begun to phase out FOTWs and meteor freaks in general. In season 6, only "Reunion", "Static", "Subterranean" and "Hydro" had a FOTW and in two of them ("Static" and "Hydro"), Clark never encounters the meteor freak. They're part of the other characters plots, while Clark tackled the alien Aldar or helped Oliver keep his identity a secret. The season mostly had Clark deal with escaped prisoners from the Phantom Zone, regular human villains and a Project Ares prototype.

In season 7, "Fierce" was the only episode with a FOTW plot. The rest of the season was devoted to threats like Bizarro, Zor-El and Brainiac. Along with the immortal Curtis Knox and a few normal villains.

Season 8 had five: "Plastique", "Prey", "Identity", "Infamous" and "Injustice". Randy Klein in "Prey" was a minor character, who got credit for murders committed by Doomsday (throwing suspicions off Davis). And "Infamous" featured a returning villain in Linda Lake (likely chosen for the episode as she was an established, evil journalist, who knew Clark's secret. Meaning, they wouldn't need to introduce a new character, who finds out Clark's secret and forces him to go public). With season 8, they had entered the Metropolis years (where they didn't need meteor freaks, to give Clark superpowered antagonists anymore). The last two seasons didn't have any FOTW plots.

If they had to turn Chloe into a meteor freak, they should've done it earlier (when they were still relevant to the show), not when they were in the middle of retiring the concept.

I do admit there was potential with Chloe getting powers. Unfortunatly, they had her develop an ability to heal others, even bringing back the dead (meaning death is no longer an issue), which I felt they never went anywhere with. When they gave Lana powers, in S8, she got useful abilities like speed, strength and invulnerability. Powers that allowed Lana to be proactive. Healing is a very passive ability. What could Chloe do with it, apart from healing more proactive metahumans, who've been injured actually doing something?

Comment

I thought Lana was too overpowered, and she was already a Mary Sue long before her powers so her powers just made her twice as annoying. To me she was superfluous in most of the episodes where she had superpowers. If you removed Lana from the scenes and gave the scenes to somebody else the story would still have the same result. It was just a excuse to showcase how special she was and to separate her from Clark via Kryptonite, making it seem like Lois was sloppy seconds. Why would anybody want Lois when we see how awesome Lana is, right?? Then we never see her again because she's off in Africa or whatever using her powers to help others. In a way you could say she was even less useful than Chloe was from a certain viewpoint.

I guess our opinions differ because I think Healing is a great power to have, especially when it's not actual healing in the fullest sense of the word. It's WOUND TRANSFERENCE, people!
          This means that there is a certain risk for Chloe, so this means that she couldn't be used as the Deus ex machina every time the writers want somebody brought back from the dead. She would be taking a very big risk in returning to the morgue freezer every time she transferred somebody's wounds over to herself. She transferred Lois's injuries over to herself, and ended up in the morgue freezer for her troubles. That's a big deal right there.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎