No announcement yet.

Prometheus

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prometheus

Did a search and didn't see a thread for the new Ridley Scott scifi film. Can't wait to see this movie coming up this wknd. I like all the people in it and it looks like an honestly good flick. I think its also the most anticipated film this weekend too. What do u folks think? Anyone else hyped up for it?

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
    Did a search and didn't see a thread for the new Ridley Scott scifi film. Can't wait to see this movie coming up this wknd. I like all the people in it and it looks like an honestly good flick. I think its also the most anticipated film this weekend too. What do u folks think? Anyone else hyped up for it?
    I'm not really looking forward to it and haven't seen the movie yet, but, from what I read, it ties in nicely with the original Aliens franchise or, at least, it explains where the Aliens creatures came from, albeit in a rather contrived way.

Comment

It is being called the Super 8 of the yr. Works for me because I loved Super 8.

Comment

I've never seen any of the Alien films, but I saw Prometheus last night - and I liked it.

I had some problems with it. I felt it ran too long at the end and could've shaved some off of the beginning.

Comment

I saw it Friday. I also felt that it was too long and very slow. It had plenty of plot holes.
          First, the technology was way ahead of the Nostromo's in the original Alien. Second, a
          group of people left the Prometheus in three vehicles to get to the caves...Two guys got
          lost in the caves...the rest of the group had to hurry out of the caves to beat a storm...
          ...they never noticed that all three vehicles were still parked at the entrance to the caves
          and/or asked what happened to the two missing guys. How would they have gotten back
          to the Prometheus? Of course, later, the captain of the Prometheus was looking at a
          hologram of the cave mapping and this included two gold diamond shapes with the names
          of all the crew inside the map and the captain is asking them over the communicators,
          "Where are you?" Why didn't he just look at he hologram and tell them how to get out
          of the caves? Charlize Theron's character had a private escape shuttle with a grand
          piano in it and everything, yet, she escaped in an escape pod where before she did so,
          she had to get into a space suit which took several minutes to put on and pressurize?
          They brought old man Weyland out of Cryo-freeze and with him seemed to come a
          half dozen security guards that weren't listed or shown before he was unfrozen? They
          just seemed to pop up out of no where? My grade: D.

Comment

Prometheus was #2 of the weekend with $50 mil. That's a major victory especially against a mainstream kids film like Madagascar 3. It has done well overseas, its midnight earnings were the best since The Avengers and it was the number one movie Friday. It also did incredibly well in IMAX showings and it has earned more in the opening weekend than Alien Resurrection and Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem did in their entire runs. From what I read, not adjusting for inflation, it also has the opening weekend record for any films in the Alien franchise. Plus, overseas it has exceeded expectations. I am just happy it did that well. Charlize Theron has 2 of the top three movies in the weekend box office this weekend so talk about a win win situation this wknd.
            I heard Fox is very happy with the opening weekend for Prometheus. Reminds me of when Predators came out and was still a success even though it was the number 2 movie of the wknd.

I do have to say that I don't think Fox thought they would beat Madagascar 3 this wknd anyway. They're probably just overjoyed the movie did so well. Also, it seems like one of those movies where people either like or don't like it. I don't think there is a middle ground with this one and those seem to be some of my favorite films.

E just reported that it had one of the biggest openings for an R-rated film. Nice! This was a great weekend for both films so I'm glad to see both were successes.
            Last edited by Austin 3:16; 06-10-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Prometheus

This movie is incredible, superior to the Avengers imo, and I have a hard time seeing Christopher Nolan topping Ridley Scott this summer.

This movie was just incredibly well done. It gave a great backstory to Alien without being the backstory to Alien... basically, it takes place within the Alien universe, but it succeeds in being broader. You come out of this and you think that Alien is just some side story.

The storyline assumes the events of Alien vs Predator never happened.

Finally, I'm 28 years old, but I was afraid, and had trouble sleeping last night.

Comment

Loved the movie too. I think Noomi Rapace is going to be an even bigger star than she already is. Hope she comes back for any sequels they plan to do. Loved the ending too. Had a feeling something would happen but didn't know exactly what. Geez that got me good!

Comment

Very cool movie, especially from a visual/aesthetic and mood standpoint. Beautiful and worth seeing for this alone. The overall storyline/plot could've been better, having some absurd stuff mixed in with interesting/clever, but the visuals were enough to keep me satisfied.

I will say I wish we had more answers on certain things. Like what the heck that "Engineer" alien was doing at the start of the film -- does anyone know why he ate the black stuff and basically killed himself? His DNA was destroyed or something and he crumbled into the water -- did he know that was going to happen? And why did the Engineer alien at the end want to go back to Earth to kill mankind? What the hell was his problem? lol I mean his stupid race destroyed themselves because their own monster creations turned against them, you'd think he would have learned the errors of his ways and not still be so insane and bloodthirsty. And as for the birth of the first "Alien", talk about a convoluted beginning. I mean the chick gave birth to that thing that eventually grew huge, after having been impregnated by that dude who was infected with the black substance that mutated him or whatever it does. So that giant thing is what results when a black-liquid mutated human male impregnates a normal human female, and then when this hideous offspring impregnates the Engineer species, the baby that results is the Alien we all know and love. So random.

Comment

Originally posted by Glove
                    I saw it Friday. I also felt that it was too long and very slow. It had plenty of plot holes.
                    First, the technology was way ahead of the Nostromo's in the original Alien. Second, a
                    group of people left the Prometheus in three vehicles to get to the caves...Two guys got
                    lost in the caves...the rest of the group had to hurry out of the caves to beat a storm...
                    ...they never noticed that all three vehicles were still parked at the entrance to the caves
                    and/or asked what happened to the two missing guys. How would they have gotten back
                    to the Prometheus? Of course, later, the captain of the Prometheus was looking at a
                    hologram of the cave mapping and this included two gold diamond shapes with the names
                    of all the crew inside the map and the captain is asking them over the communicators,
                    "Where are you?" Why didn't he just look at he hologram and tell them how to get out
                    of the caves? Charlize Theron's character had a private escape shuttle with a grand
                    piano in it and everything, yet, she escaped in an escape pod where before she did so,
                    she had to get into a space suit which took several minutes to put on and pressurize?
                    They brought old man Weyland out of Cryo-freeze and with him seemed to come a
                    half dozen security guards that weren't listed or shown before he was unfrozen? They
                    just seemed to pop up out of no where? My grade: D.
                    Hey Glove, I think I finally found the answers to all your questions....or rather, even more questions....

http://www.redlettermedia.com - Mike asks so many questions it melts Jay's brain. This video was 30 minutes longer. This is an edit. To see the full review h...

(this guy makes hilarious reviews..you should see his TNG movie reviews and Star Wars reviews if you haven't)

Comment

Comment

There will more than likely be a sequel or 2 which will answer the questions started in this movie thank goodness. I thought it was pretty cool though and hope Michael Fassbender returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
                          Hey Glove, I think I finally found the answers to all your questions....or rather, even more questions....

http://www.redlettermedia.com - Mike asks so many questions it melts Jay's brain. This video was 30 minutes longer. This is an edit. To see the full review h...

(this guy makes hilarious reviews..you should see his TNG movie reviews and Star Wars reviews if you haven't)
                          Exactly.

Comment

This is another in a long line of movies that I think was technically well made, but dissecting the plot inconsistencies sours my opinion. I believe the story should come first, and this just didn't do it for me. Additionally, I didn't like any of the characters - definitely not enough to mourn for any deaths. The only remotely interesting character was David, and I have no idea what his problem was.

I did, however, appreciate the inclusion of Zero Suit Samus.

Comment

Decided to rent and watch this for the first time. Thought it was nowhere near as bad as I've heard people claim over the years.

Originally posted by Glove
                              First, the technology was way ahead of the Nostromo's in the original Alien.
                              While true, one should also consider that the Nostromo was a mining ship. The characters in the movie are essentially "truckers in space" (why would anyone supply them with all the latest tech?). The Prometheus is a science vessel, that transports the company CEO and his daughter. There'd be more money invested in the latter (think someone said something about how something had cost one billion dollars). And there's only about 30 years between this and Alien. Rapace's character is even shown to be amazed upon seeing the MedPod. Clearly not everything (if anything) onboard is available to your average Joe.

Originally posted by Xanderman
                              Like what the heck that "Engineer" alien was doing at the start of the film -- does anyone know why he ate the black stuff and basically killed himself? His DNA was destroyed or something and he crumbled into the water -- did he know that was going to happen?
                              He broke his body down to it's basic genetic material and caused the creation of mankind.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎