Clear All

• Fanfic: Wolf Heart (1/1)

Title: Wolf Heart
    Type: Gen
    Rating: PG-13
    Character: Belle, Rumplestiltskin/Gold, Emma, Henry, Ruby/Red
    Spoilers: Through the finale
    Word Count: 617
    Summary: Belle discovers a wolf in the woods.

Belle Gold found the languishing wolf while walking in the woods -- a white wolf with one red eye and one yellow – unmistakably native to another forest. "You're so lovely," she cooed, stroking the softest fur she had ever felt. "Where's your pack? The witch probably thought she was being clever bringing you here without your pack, proving she could strip even an animal of his happy ending." Of course, that would imply Regina had thought of the wolf at all, that her husband had thought of the wolf at all. Belle knew neither had. She sat upon leaf litter, placed the wolf’s head upon her lap, and called another wolf upon her cell phone.

Red Lucas drove out, and together the two managed to lay the wolf gently upon the back seat of Belle’s station wagon, wrapped in Red’s cloak. They took him directly to Gold’s shop and lay him at Rumplestiltskin’s feet. “What’s this?,” he asked, truly puzzled. Belle felt as though she walked upon a grave, as she watched recognition dawn within her husband’s eyes. “The Huntsman’s pack brother, the poor creature.”

Rumplestiltskin told his wife and the werewolf the tragic tale of the Black Queen’s rebellious pet -- raised with this wolf and dead by her hand. “I’m sorry, Belle. I didn’t think to make provisions. He’s been subsisting all this time, alone.”

“Just like me,” realized Belle softly.

Rumplestiltslkin looked at her, stricken, resolved. “I’ll fix this, my love.”

Fixing this meant paying a visit to Emma Swan, now living with her son in one of his rentals. The boy looked as well as could be expected, considering how his world was changing and how he had to swallow his own adoptive mother’s poison to force those changes. He suspected the cricket made frequent house calls. He greeted her formally, as the magic required: “Princess-Sheriff, I come on an errand of solace and memorial for which I require the Huntsman’s heart.”

Emma looked upon him with suspicion and regret. “I’ve got to take care of it, even if it’s crushed. It’s all I can do for him.” Days after lifting the curse, Snow White’s daughter learned the history of her son’s namesake, looked upon her step-grandmother’s vault, counted the serial criminal’s trophy hearts, and vomited.

Henry spared himself none of this knowledge, none of these sights. While Regina’s evil visibly overwhelmed the jaded princess, the hopeful prince buried his pain within purpose he instinctively understood. “You found the wolf,” he stated simply.

Emma sighed, accepting Henry’s unspoken commitment to the task ahead. Back at the shop, Emma, Henry, and Belle bore witness. “To save this wolf,” began Rumplestiltskin, “I must recreate what was lost to him – a sense of belonging -- a pack. To do this,” he continued, “I require the blood of a living wolf to mix with the remains of the pack he mourns.” At these words, Red cut her hand with the switchblade Emma kept in her glove compartment. Rumplestiltskin used a bowl made of wood from the wolf’s native forest to catch her blood. He then mixed Red’s blood with the Huntsman’s crushed heart and with water that restores that which one has lost. Belle took the mixture from her husband, coaxing the wolf to drink.

Weeks later, Belle and Red released the recovered wolf back into the forest, wearing a collar with a G. P. S. tracker. Red handed Belle a large handmade card. “All of the children in Snow’s class signed it,” she said. “They love having a wolf to look after.”

Belle looked at all the names, smiling. “Yes,” she replied. “The wolf has a pack, again, and the heart to carry on.”
    Last edited by Raissa; 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM.
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎