Clear All

• Fanfic: The Journey (1/1)

Title: The Journey
    Type: Gen
    Rating: PG-13
    Character: Belle, Rumplestiltskin/Gold, Henry
    Spoilers: Through the finale
    Word Count: 568
    Summary: Belle and Rumplestiltskin discuss important truths about the search for his son.

“Good morning, Henry,” said Belle Gold cheerfully, welcoming the brave little prince into her new home.

“Good morning, Mrs. Gold,” replied Henry. “You wanted to see my book?”

“Yes,” she answered. “I love books, especially books that help reunite people who love each other.”

Henry sat down on the couch beside her, as she carefully studied the book, page by page. “I’m sorry Rumplestiltskin and I aren’t in here,” Belle said at last. “Scenes from the Dark Castle would be beautifully rendered with this style of illustration.”

The boy’s eyes widened. “The Dark Castle. You actually lived in a place called The Dark Castle. That’s brilliant.”

“It was brilliant and mad and sad and scary,” said Belle, “often all at the same time.”

“You were there as part of a bargain with him,” asked Henry, “because you’re Beauty, and he’s the Beast?”

“Apparently,” answered Belle. “I’ll have to write our real story, myself, it seems. It only exists in pieces here.”

Belle must have looked as pensive as she felt, because Henry asked worriedly, “You didn’t find what you were looking for? What was it?”

“I was looking for Nova and Dreamy,” answered Belle, telling the boy their story.

“You’ll have to write their story, too, since it’s part of yours.”

“Yes, she will,” replied her husband, gently kissing his new wife on the nose. “Right after she helps me take over this world.” The man who looked like Gold giggled like the Dark One. Henry gaped. “I was joking, boy. You’re as bad as your grandfather.”

“I knew that,” said Henry, a little defensively. Belle hugged him goodbye, as she knew Emma Swan disapproved of her son visiting while Rumplestiltskin was there.

Belle waited until Henry shut the door behind him before she addressed her husband. “I know you created the curse, brought magic here, in order to find your son, but it sickens me that another child had to willfully swallow his own adoptive mother’s poison to further your plan.” She wept. “He must’ve been so scared, a…”

“Desperate soul,” he finished, huskily, taking his True Love in his arms. “I’ve choked on that irony, too, dear, especially since I would’ve made you his adoptive mother, if...”

Her tears spent, Belle quickly changed the subject. “Unfortunately, the fairies aren’t in the book. They’re mentioned, as you are, but like you, never central to any of the stories.”

“That’s disconcerting for you, isn’t Belle, beyond my hatred for them?” Belle looked into her husband’s suddenly stern eyes. “Vendettas are my line. You don’t have the temperament for them, and I won’t allow you to actually sicken. Tell me!,” he commanded.

“True Love’s Kiss would’ve broken the Dark One’s curse,” she began unhappily, “and Emma Swan proved that parent-child love counts the same as romantic love when she saved Henry. Surely, the Blue Fairy knew that, so why didn’t she just tell Baelfire to kiss you? Yes, my love, you’re cowardice parted you from your son.” Belle felt new tears upon her cheeks. “Cowardice parted you, but the journey was never necessary. Gods help us all. The journey was never necessary.”

For the first time in her life, Belle despaired, truly despaired. “I will not allow you to sicken,” replied an ashen, shaken Rumplestiltskin, kissing away her tears. “You are mine, my love, and the only mother my son will ever have. You make the journey necessary.”
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎