No announcement yet.

Geppetto: the real villan of the story?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by closetclana
    Just because he had really good motivations (or even feelings of desperation) doesn't mean what he did was right and he wasn't being selfish. That is a great thing about this show is that every character has good motivations. The Queen was totally screwed up by a controlling mother, Prince Charming's father wanted to keep his kingdom stabilized, etc, etc. I mean, Rumples whole reason for creating this curse was to find his son. That is a noble and good motivation, but the choices he made in achieving his desires were selfish and hurt a lot of other people along the way. Geppetto is the same way. While we can all see why he did what he did, it didn't make doing it the morally right choice. If our love for our children gave us moral high ground, then every parent could be shoving other kids off the playground so their kid gets a turn.
    I guess I have trouble viewing a parent wanting to save their child’s life as being selfish. But, I do agree his desire to save his son’s life lead him to making morally questionable decisions.

I don’t consider him an evil man. If there was only one spot in the wardrobe, I believe he would have made Pinocchio stay behind. But since there were two spots, he felt there was no harm in letting them both go and was willing to lie to save his son’s life.

I think it would be hard to be told you have to build a magical wardrobe that can save your son’s life but you can’t use it. That ranks right up there with someone telling you to dig your own grave before they push you into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Exedore
      No I'd say he was being selfish. He was putting his entire world in danger for his son. That's selfish. It's understandable (because he's a desperate parent, a guy who lost his own parents at a young age and was probably alone for most of his life so he just went nuts about his only child) but selfish nonetheless. What you're describing would have been selfish and evil. He isn't evil. You can be selfish without being evil.
      He was not putting the entire world in danger. Snow and Charming are not the savior, Emma is! If Pinocchio had been cursed he would have been turned back into a puppet, possible forever.

Gepetto did have to carve the tree, but he did not have too. It was not unreasonable for him to want to save his only son in exchange for carving the tree.

----- Added 16 Minutes later -----

Just because he had really good motivations (or even feelings of desperation) doesn't mean what he did was right and he wasn't being selfish. That is a great thing about this show is that every character has good motivations. The Queen was totally screwed up by a controlling mother, Prince Charming's father wanted to keep his kingdom stabilized, etc, etc. I mean, Rumples whole reason for creating this curse was to find his son. That is a noble and good motivation, but the choices he made in achieving his desires were selfish and hurt a lot of other people along the way. Geppetto is the same way. While we can all see why he did what he did, it didn't make doing it the morally right choice. If our love for our children gave us moral high ground, then every parent could be shoving other kids off the playground so their kid gets a turn.
      Gepetto did the right thing. Saving Pinocchio's life is more important then Emma having parents there to raise her.

If you want to paint someone as a villain I think The Blue Fairy qualifies more. She is lied to the Charmings (do you really think Gepetto is the only wood carver in fairy tale land?), turned Jiminy into a cricket (because she wanted him and Geptto to be friends? no there is something else going on there), she has openly been against true love( poor Nova and Dreamy), she had Gepetto cut down the last great magic tree(way to save the environment fairy, She separated Rumple from his son(If she knows Jiminy/Gepetto future friendship why not Rumple being a coward?) .
      Last edited by Degobunny; 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you want to paint someone as a villain I think The Blue Fairy qualifies more...
        I've been getting that vibe, too. I wonder if she's going to be a major player in the S2 arc.

Comment

I don't think Gepetto is necessarily evil, or even selfish for that matter.

You have to look at it from his point of view:

Both of his parents were turned into puppets, never to be turned back. Yes, he's probably desperately afraid that the same will happen to Pinocchio if the curse hits him. He's just being a worried parent, worried from experience.

But at the same time, the wardrobe was made on the condition that Pinocchio was saved. This deal was made when Snow wasn't giving birth yet, and it was a reasonable deal, as everyone involved in making it was alright with it.

But imagine the desperation that gew when Gepetto found out that Snow had given birth, and now his son had to give up his spot for both Snow and the baby.

As people who aren't in that kind of position, it's easy to say "Oh, he's being selfish, he's being a bad guy" because he insisted that the blue fairy kept her part of the deal. But if we were in the same position he was, I really can't imagine most of us doing things differently. If it was us in the same position as him, I imagine most of us would have fought to make sure our children were safe. Heck, I imagine some would even insist on making sure that both the child AND them were saved...now THAT'S selfish...in a way.

Comment

to put it in perspective...there is a huge difference between a playground and my baby's LIFE. As I have stated before if her life is in danger there is nothing I won't do, no line I won't cross to save my daughter....pure and simple. not selfish merely the mama bear influence.

Originally posted by Degobunny
            He was not putting the entire world in danger. Snow and Charming are not the savior, Emma is! If Pinocchio had been cursed he would have been turned back into a puppet, possible forever.

Gepetto did have to carve the tree, but he did not have too. It was not unreasonable for him to want to save his only son in exchange for carving the tree.

----- Added 16 Minutes later -----

Gepetto did the right thing. Saving Pinocchio's life is more important then Emma having parents there to raise her.

If you want to paint someone as a villain I think The Blue Fairy qualifies more. She is lied to the Charmings (do you really think Gepetto is the only wood carver in fairy tale land?), turned Jiminy into a cricket (because she wanted him and Geptto to be friends? no there is something else going on there), she has openly been against true love( poor Nova and Dreamy), she had Gepetto cut down the last great magic tree(way to save the environment fairy, She separated Rumple from his son(If she knows Jiminy/Gepetto future friendship why not Rumple being a coward?) .

spot on with gepetto and I like your theory with the blue fairy really being the manipulator behind the scenes. Maybe the magic of the fairytale world was dying (the lack of magic trees and magic beans) and she is trying to bring magic back to them by using the nonmagical world.......I dunno, just a thought!
            Last edited by Rac80; 05-10-2012, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎