Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Hope Leads

Title: Where Hope Leads

Author: Briee aka Kaeleigh

Rating: PG-13 for language, themes and violence. This one is going to be a little darker, kids, so be warned.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters within this story. These are someone else's toys, I'm just playing with them for a while. Don't worry, I'll put them back when I'm done.

Author's Notes: I've been a fan of the guy in the red cape for a long time. I've seen the movies, the cartoons, the televisions shows, but up until a few years ago, I had never read a Superman comic book. To be honest, I didn't think that it could measure up to the action and emotions of its cinematic counterparts. However, while watching the documentary Look! Up In The Sky! I discovered that Superman had died in the comic world years earlier.

The scenes shown in the documentary intrigued me and I thought that I might be able to use them in a story I was working on. So, I ordered the graphic novels for the three part series of Superman's death. When they arrived, I flipped through them thinking I would really just need the scene itself and the rest would merely be research that would allow me to fill in the background details.

But in reading those few pages something happened that I didn't think would-- I fell completely into the story and quickly read all three graphic novels from beginning to end. It was gripping, emotional, and drew me into that world. So it was from these three books that I found a love for the comics and immediately began searching for any recommendations on others that I might enjoy. (LOL, I'm still on the lookout, in fact. )

And while I was searching, I discovered one story that absolutely captured me with its imagination, mystery, and devotion to Clark and Lois. There was one scene in particular that caught my eye- there was just something about it I couldn't forget. I kept coming back to it, so much so that I eventually printed it off and hung it on my wall. It's been there for three years, just whispering its secrets to me as I go by it. Now, I don't know if this story is the only one that it had to tell me, but I do know that WHL exists because of what I saw in that one page.

Where Hope Leads differs from anything I've ever attempted before, in several ways, not only just where the inspiration for it came from. For one thing, it is much more focused on the comic world as far as the settings, the feel, and the characters. Which has required more research than I have ever put into a story so far, LOL. (And if I have gotten the details wrong here, die hard comic fans, sorry, I'm relying on what I can find online to help me with it.)

I've also had to create a lot of the environments instead of relying on existing ones, and the characters themselves are not exactly the ones that we know. However, I've tried to put a Smallville spin on this so that they seem familiar, and I hope that comes through. Lastly, this story is also much darker than anything that I've written before, both in theme and characterization, and that has not been easy for me to write in a way that comes across as true and believable. But, I've always thought that as a writer, it helps for you to explore outside of your comfort zone, and LOL, I'm definitely in uncharted territory here. That said, however, I hope that you guys still find the parts of my writing that you've liked in previous stories in this one.

This story has been an adventure for me as I discovered exactly what surprises lay around the next corner (LOL, and there have been a few) and I hope that it will be the same for you. My advice- look out for the twists and turns, and be prepared for the unexpected! ;D

The very awesome poster(s) were made by RPK_Jovi, so please, show this very talented artist some love!

Dedication: This story is for Lightseeker, a friend who has been there from the beginning of my writing journey and who reminds me with her continued encouragement, even after all this time, why I started writing in the first place. Thank you.

Summary: Their world is gone. It has been stripped bare and left burning, and those who are still alive are fighting to survive. But there is still hope. If they can get to him, then he can save them. He may be able to save all of them.

I. All They Could Do

Hope? This is a world devoid of it.

Another blast shook the moon base, knocking Oliver to his knees as the glass from the interior windows of the Research Lab showered down around him. He threw his arms up to cover his eyes. As the tremors stopped momentarily he shot back to his feet, yelling, "Move!"

As soon as the first explosion had happened, the members of the JLA that were still alive had scattered in different directions, each knowing the chaos would provide them only precious seconds to get to safety. He knew their chances lessened with each blast that followed, and hoped they would make it. He wanted them to be safe; he had thought this was the one place left they would be.

The base vibrated again, knocking him hard into the metal wall, reminding him of what he already knew- that it was too late to rely on hope. Right now, there was only one person that he had to make sure was still moving. He ran across the long overpass that connected the laboratory building to the main section of Watchtower, not daring to look out the windows at the warships that were docked in their own hangars. Forcing himself to concentrate only what was ahead, he shouted back to the ones that struggled to follow him, "Bart! Is he with you?!"

There was no reply, but the two sets of footsteps that followed him was answer enough. As they reached the main building he skidded to a stop, checking down both corridors to make sure it was clear. To the left he could hear the sounds of weapon fire and quickly flattened his back against the wall, his hand curling around the handle of his crossbow. His shoulders tensed as he waited for them to near, but the noise faded as they went the opposite way, leaving him to sigh in relief.

In the sudden quiet he could hear the sound of heavy breathing behind him. He turned around to find his friend leaning against the wall, his head tilted back as blood poured out of his nose. One eye was almost swollen shut and by the way he had his arm wrapped around himself, Oliver would guess he had at least one broken rib.

Bart watched the concern pass over Oliver's face and knew that they couldn't afford to be distracted, not now. He let a cocky grin brake across his lips, ignoring the blood that coated his teeth. "Still ready to go, Green Bean."

"Both of us," insisted a quieter voice filled with just as much pain.

Oliver's gaze swung to the person they were now going to pin all their hopes of success on. Jimmy Olsen looked better than the hero beside him, and Oliver knew that Bart was the reason. His lightening quick responses had deflected most of the blows Jimmy would have taken. Still, he wasn't fairing much better, having been injured in one of the explosions before they had met up.

So far, he had managed to keep going on his own, but Oliver could see the way his whole body trembled from the strain of holding himself up. He was favoring his right leg and the gash on his shoulder had stained his jacket dark red with blood. But determination was in his eyes and in the stubborn jut of his chin and Oliver knew that he would continue, if only to keep up with Bart.

He shook his head in exasperation at them. "Come on, let's get you both there while you can still make it."

They nodded in agreement as they raced to reach the Monitor Womb of Watchtower, praying that it hadn't been hit yet.

Bart swung his gaze from left to right as they crossed the passageway to that lead to the Armory. Intent on watching their backs, he didn't realize Oliver and Jimmy had stopped just inside the door until he bumped into them. They were frozen in shock and he knew what from as the sickening smell of blood and death hit his nose. He looked over their shoulders and wished that he hadn't. Bart turned his head away and for a moment the only sound was Jimmy's labored breathing.

"Dammit!" Oliver swore under his breath.

Jimmy started forward, reaching out, but Oliver caught his arm, stopping him. He said shortly, "Don't. She's gone."

Star Girl lay there in front of them in her costume, staring up at them with empty eyes, her last expression one of pain and shock. Her left hand was missing.

Bart stepped around Jimmy, sliding a little in the pool of blood that surrounded her as he forced himself to breathe through his mouth. "They must have used her hand for ID. They'll be able to get access to anywhere now and they won't even have to blast their way in."

Oliver closed his eyes at the implication. Watchtower was theirs now. He had thought there might be some hope that they could win here, but they had used her to get into the armory and had taken every last weapon. Now, they would be able to get into the Monitor Womb and if they destroyed the machine-

Oliver straightened. They needed to hurry. "We have to go now."

Oliver went out the door, Jimmy limping after him, casting one last look back at the sweet blond woman lying there. She had been his friend. In a time when hope had been the hardest thing to find, she had helped him retain his optimism. She had never stopped believing they would win. He ignored the tears that filled his eyes. And now she was gone. He forced his gaze in front, wondering if any of them would make it through the night.

Bart brought up the rear, dragging his left foot now that they were ahead of him. He was determined not to let them know that it was probably broken. They needed him now. Gritting his teeth together, he tried to ignore how every part of him ached like he'd been in an explosion. Which, he acknowledged bitterly as he heard the sound of gunfire behind him, he had been. "Move it, dudes, we've got company!"

They sprinted the final steps to the last secure part of the base. They didn't have to wait to put in the DNA signature because as they neared, the metal doors slid smoothly open on their own. They rushed inside, feeling the panels close quickly behind them. The JLA members leaned against the thick barriers, breathing heavily, glad for the momentary protection.

The Monitor Womb was the most secure part of Watchtower. It controlled all of their defense systems, monitored as much of Earth as they could now, and was the most heavily fortified. It was why Oliver had chosen to hide it here. In the low lights, which were flashing red, indicating war mode, they met the concerned gazes of Victor and J'onn.

In his solemn voice, J'onn declared, "They have arrived."

Bart chuckled, leaning back against the door, ignoring the pain that radiated through his ribs as he did. "Sometimes, man, you have a way of stating the obvious."

"Who has survived?" The question was stated blandly, the Martian holding his emotions deep inside until they were all secure. Emotions had no place in battle; they would bring death to you quicker if you gave into them. It was an old lesson he had learned in hard times, learned on days just like this.

The remaining members looked at each other, silently acknowledging that those who made it to this last safety were probably the only ones who were still alive.

"Kara never made it to Watchtower before the attack. There's a chance that she's still alive," Oliver offered without much hope.

J'onn looked away. This once great league of superheroes had been reduced to just twenty members. There had been a time when heroes had considered it an honor to be accepted into this league, and then later, times when heroes had left it, questioning its purpose and decisions. But those times had long ago ended.

Pride and petty arguments no longer mattered. Heroes no longer joined the league for prestige or honor. Now they banded together to stay alive, to survive, because a hero alone in the world was a target. And now, he thought as a tremor made them stagger, indicating another bomb had gone off, even together they hadn't had the strength to win. He forced himself to ask, "What of Bruce, Courtney, AC, the others?"

"We found Courtney." Bart shook his head, looking away from the hope that he knew would fade from their eyes with his answer. He volunteered his account of what had happened, "Diana was at the blast site with me."

"Diana?" Oliver turned his head sharply toward Bart. When the league had tried to stop the attack on Keystone Diana had been disappeared. It had been six months ago and though they had never said it out loud, each had thought the princess had been killed.

Bart closed his eyes, his jaw tightening in anger. "Diana was the blast site. Whatever they did, however they did it, they planted it on her. When I saw her comm signal from the hub in Washington, I verified that it was really her and than I teleported her up. I knew something was wrong the second she appeared. She was tied with her lasso and her bracelets were missing. I went to untie her, but I hadn't gone more than a foot when she-"

He turned his head, not wanting to remember how the beautiful Amazonian he had often teased had laid in pieces around him, how it was her blood, still warm, he had fallen in when the second explosion had hit. He breathed out slowly through his mouth before saying angrily, "It was a dirty bomb, or whatever it was. It had shrapnel. I think.. I think it might have been inside of her. At least one of them was. She was gone the second it happened."

"Bruce was with me," Oliver gave the information solemnly. "We knew that the odds of both of us making it here were... unlikely," he trailed off as he thought of those last moments.

Oliver raced down the stairs. He had been in the lounge when the first explosion had happened and he hadn't even reached the door before he had seen another one take out the solar tower. After that he had taken off at a dead run, trying to find out what was happening, knowing even as he did who was responsible.

He reached the hallway that lead to the Villains Gallery, and turning a corner he saw a group of soldiers standing there. With a yell, he threw himself forward, pulling out his cross bow and shooting two of them with paralyzing arrows. As they dropped, he started to fight the three left, only to hearing something whizzing through the air. When they fell, he glanced back to see Batman standing behind him, and the three soldiers now at his feet with batarangs buried in their chests.

He nodded his thanks and Batman returned the gesture before an explosion sounded right above their heads, followed by the heavy stomp of boots marching. More soldiers were heading toward their location, and the two of them quickly made their way into the Villains Gallery, barring the doors behind them.

"Is the device ready?" Batman asked as they leaned against the doors.

"Cyborg has been working on it, let's just hope he's got it ready because it looks like we're out of time!" Oliver looked up to see the sinister faces of the villains staring back at him. It had been Bruce's idea, somewhere they each could go and study everything about those they would face, those who were a threat to them. Somehow, she had never it to this room, a sign of respect to the man they had lost, or maybe just that she was too big a threat to ever be considered just a villain. He jerked his head toward to the access panel. "We'll have to go through the tunnel. It'll be the only way we can reach the Monitor Womb!"

Bruce nodded, but before they could move, they saw the blast of a weapon on the double doors leading in to the Gallery from the other side. Bruce tightened his gloves on his hands and started toward them.

Oliver grabbed his arm, and yelled, infuriated, "What do you think you're doing?"

They had only seconds to get to safety. Then he saw the look in his eyes. It was a look that he had seen on others' faces, too many times, when they had reached the end and knew it. He shook his head in denial. "No. This is no time to be a hero!"

Bruce stopped, glancing around the walls at the enemies they had defeated, each representing a time when they had helped to save the world. Then he shook his head and gave him a grim smile. "No, that time is gone. We're not the heroes, Oliver. But now is the time that we do what we have to and end this." He shoved Oliver down and ran toward the other set of doors on the far end of the hall.

"Batman!" Oliver shouted, scrambling to get up. He watched as the doors burst open, guards pouring in.

The Dark Knight never looked back as he threw over his shoulder, "Go! Bring him back! He's the only one that matters now!"

Oliver shook himself free from his memories to see them staring at him. "He took off towards them before I could stop him. The last I saw of him he was yelling for me to go and rushing ten of them."

"And AC?"

Jimmy jerked at his name, but didn't say anything. He had been with AC when the first explosions had hit, sitting at the edge of the deep water tanks.

"It's the last peaceful place left in the whole universe," AC had often said, and Jimmy's eyes closed at the memory. The once carefree and happy superhero had been left a shell of his former self. The loss of Mera had been the first blow, compounded by the oceans being reduced to muddy cesspools by an atmosphere so dry that it had shrunk the great bodies of water until they were almost nonexistent. The only solace Aquaman had found had been in those tanks, swimming with the animals.

It was why Jimmy had been there today as well. The exotic animals the tanks housed had made the only sounds that soothed his soul now. It was almost like music. It was dark and quiet there, and he would often lay at the edge of the tanks and just listen. Now those sounds were something he would never be able to hear again, because the soldiers had bombed it, killing the animals and injuring AC. Jimmy, who had gotten a piece of glass driven into his shoulder by the explosion and then submerged by a wave of water had been saved by the superhero. He had used a water blast to protect him, giving him time to get to the access tunnels that lead to the hangar where he had met Bart.

He knew he should tell them what had happened, but he couldn't. He couldn't make himself talk about it.

Bart shook his head, wiping distractedly at the blood that trickled out of his nose on his lips. "Went down before I met up with Oliver. They took his body with them."

"Dammit! This shouldn't have happened!" Oliver exploded, pounding his fist back against the door. "I thought Watchtower was supposed to be the best there was? How are they destroying it?"

"Their intent is not to destroy this facility," J'onn interjected grimly, "their intent is to destroy us, and it would appear they are succeeding."

Oliver hung his head at this chastisement as Jimmy came forward asking lowly, "How?"

"It was the explosion at the private teleporters," J'onn said, stepping back to the console. "At the same time it happened, there was an unauthorized teleport on the other hub. The first wave of soldiers must have come from there. Explosions where set off at different points within Watchtower until they reached the hangar, from there they were able to override the system, though I am unsure how."

Bart said awkwardly, "I know how. We found Courtney in the Armory. Her- her hand had been cut off. It looks like they used her DNA signature to authorize the opening of the hangar doors."

Oliver ran an agitated hand through his hair. "It just doesn't make any sense! I thought all of the hubs to the teleporters on Earth were destroyed except for the one in the Batcave."'

"The signature from the private teleporter came from the hub in Washington," J'onn said, checking through the backlogs to make sure. "It would appear that it was saved or reconstructed, and that she has been waiting for the opportune moment to use it."

Oliver turned and walked a few steps, his hands on his hips. He asked, his voice tight, "Is she here?"

Bart nodded his confirmation. "Yeah, I caught a glimpse of her as I was running for my life. It seems that we were important enough for her to be part of the recon trip personally."

"Well, I'm feeling honored," Victor spoke for the first time, his voice harsh, almost mechanical. He stepped out of the shadows into the dim lights and they gasped in surprise.

"Damn, Tin Man," Bart said softly. Half of his friend's face and neck had been stripped down to the metal plating that was underneath.

Victor turned his head away at their expressions, anger and shame at his appearance fueling his hatred. He forced his voice to be calm as he said, "I'm alive, and that's more than most of the JLA has got. Don't worry about me, Flash."

Bart nodded reluctantly. Cyborg was right; they couldn't waste time on regrets right now. That's what tomorrow was for.

"Is it ready?" Oliver's question brought them back to their mission.

"Almost," Victor replied, returning to the control panel beside J'onn.

"Are you guys sure I'm the right one for this?" Jimmy asked nervously as he stumbled forward. His hand squeezed the wound at his shoulder, trying to stop the blood that still oozed from it. It was a question he had shouted at Oliver as they had run through the medical lab when he had told Jimmy it would have to be him now. Jimmy didn't agree then and he didn't agree now. He offered weakly, "Besides, we still haven't officially decided. We were supposed to vote on whether or not we were even going to do this."

That had been the whole point of the gathering of what was left of the JLA today- to decide their fate. But fate, it seemed, had decided for them instead.

"We were, until we were betrayed," Victor added darkly, glaring at Oliver. "I told you he would. We knew that we could never trust him, and now that we've got the deaths of the JLA on us because of it."

"We do not know that we were betrayed, or that he was the one. It is possible that we were simply discovered," J'onn interrupted reasonably, trying to maintain the calm in their small collective.

"Yeah, right," Bart scoffed, "I agree with Tin Man. He was a losing lottery ticket that we bet on."

"Enough," Oliver stopped them. They could debate this later. All that mattered now was the mission. He turned to Jimmy. "We've run out of options, Jimmy. This is it. This is our only chance."

"But me?" Jimmy asked desperately. "I mean, I thought the plan was for one of the JLA to go."

"It was," Oliver told him shortly. "But that was before the attack. Now it's only a matter of time before she gets in here and when it comes down to it, we need as many fighters here as we can get. Besides, he'll believe you. You're the best one for this now, Jimmy."

He nodded in defeat and then took a deep breath. "Okay."

The door Bart was leaning against shuddered, letting them know their time had just run out. Oliver repeated urgently, "Is it ready?"

"Yeah." Victor opened the door to the small vehicle. It had been six months ago when they had discovered the schematics to Rip Hunter's original Time Sphere, and it was then that Oliver had told Victor of the plan he had thought he would never be able to put into motion since the disappearance of the Legion Rings. It was a plan that he had sworn Victor to secrecy on, wanting to see if he could even make the device before approaching the league. Because of the lack of materials, it had been made on a much smaller scale than the original device, now only able to fit two people. Victor had spent every spare moment of the last six months working on it and now, it was finally operational. "It's ready."

Jimmy stepped forward hesitantly, but Oliver grabbed his arm and shoved him in the seat. "Now, Jimmy. There's no time."

Staring at the glittering gadgets inside, panic set in once more. "Guys, I don't think that I'm the one to do this, really. I'm no hero."

Victor leaned in on the other side. "Everybody's got to start sometime. Pay attention." He pointed to the circuitry on the dash. "This will get you there, and unless you specify something different, the second gauge is set to bring you right back here."

Another shudder shook the room and Jimmy asked nervously, "What if here isn't here?"

Victor and Oliver exchanged looks. Oliver nodded slightly. Victor turned back to Jimmy. "Good point. Okay, I'll reprogram it to take you to Smallville instead, three days from now."

"Wait, what? There's nothing there now! We'll be like sitting ducks with targets painted on our backs!" Jimmy protested.

"Exactly! It's a wasteland now. She doesn't even have patrols there, so no one will be looking for you," Victor pointed out, "No one but us."

"I will keep my senses attuned for your arrival," J'onn promised. "We will be there to find you."

Jimmy relaxed slightly at the news. There weren't any fires in Smallville anymore, so he knew his friend would be able to sense them without any difficulties. He agreed, "All right."

A wedge was hammered in at the divide in the doors beside Bart's head and he watched as they slowly began to open. He shouted, "Hey, amigos, I think we're about to have some party crashers!"

"Go, Jimmy, now!" Oliver urged, shutting the door.

A great surge of light and energy went through the room as the machine powered up, knocking them down and then it disappeared, leaving a deathly quiet in its wake. From their position on the floor, the remaining JLA members looked at each other.

Allowing the first doubts to enter his voice, Bart asked, "Do you think he'll make it?"

Oliver shook his head grimly. "I don't know, Flash. We've done everything we can. Right now, we just have to count on the fact that once a boyscout, always a boyscout."

The last of the door gave way as they got to their feet, bracing themselves for what was coming. They looked at each other and nodded. They were ready.

As the soldiers ran into the room, the Justice League threw themselves forward, doing all that they could right then, which was to continue the fight.

The whirring of lights stopped, its blinding rainbow-like prisms having made Jimmy keep his eyes closed for the trip. When he could no longer see the white lights shinning through his closed lids, he cautiously opened them. Recognizing the scenery around him, he gasped in shock. Despite what Oliver and Victor had told him, he hadn't really expected it to work. With shaking hands he opened the door and stood beside the vehicle.

Tears filled his eyes, clouding his view of the landscape and he blinked them away, uncaring that they streamed down his face. He was here.

He was here.

He let out a whoop as he raised his hands up and tilted his head back, letting the warm Kansas sunshine fall on his face. The day was so clear and the colors were so bright that they hurt his eyes to see them, but he didn't care. He looked around at everything, absorbing each sight into his memory before staring up into the bright blue sky. There were no permanent black clouds dimming the sunshine here.

He inhaled deeply. The air was clean and sweet, like a cherished memory that had been forgotten until now. His hand crept to his chest to cover his heart, the pounding beneath his fingertips reassuring him that he was still alive, that he hadn't simply gone on to a better place than the life he had left behind.

He was back. Back fifteen years in the past in Smallville, Kansas, back to find Clark Kent and convince him to come with him to save the future, for everyone.

Da-da-dum! Hope you enjoyed the first part!

Oh, and if you think you might know what the quote or comic that I'm referring to is, shh! Don't spoil it for the rest of the readers! However, if you would like to PM me, I'll let you know if you're right or not!
    Last edited by Briee; 03-29-2012, 09:07 PM.

Great start, my friend. You didn't pull any punches with this one. The future is GRIM indeed.

I just hope I'm wrong about the bad girl...

I can't wait to see if Jimmy convinces Clark.

Comment

What the heck??? I need to know more!!! who is "she"?????
      Update!!! I need an update!!!

Comment

Absolutely amazing I love your stories it's good to see you writing again update soon

Comment

WOW amazing start. I have so many questions. Where ´s future Clois?, who is "she"?, what catasprophe happened in the world?
          please up date soon. I have a great feeling with this fic!

Comment

Great start ppms

Comment

WOW , more please...

Comment

Fabulous start.

I have a feeling the evil 'she' is Lois and the 'he betrayed us' is Clark who couldn't help but want to be with Lois.

Can't wait for more action and excitement and Clois.

Comment

Excellent! Oh gosh. Briee, you never cease to amaze me. I usually stay away from action stories but I think I'd read the phone book if you wrote it.

I have an inkling of who the "she" is . . . which is an interesting . . . but I hope I'm wrong . .

I'm really curious who it was who betrayed them. Who was it that they took a gamble on? Briee you need to post spoilers, hahaha. We'll do an Ausiello type interview where you can give us misleading hints and we'll discuss and come up with insane theories and then when you post the rest of the story we'll all be like "duh, of course that's what she meant" and we'll feel like idiots in the wake of your awesomegeniusocity

Can't wait to read more!

Comment

Intense, exciting, intriguing, action-packed...I'm in! Looking forward to more.

Comment

Love it! I love your research and passion behind the story as well. The fic that I've got up right now (Mr. and Mrs. Kent), started out as pretty dark, and it turned into one of my favorite fics that I've written. Sometimes pushing those boundaries can help you create something even more interesting and hopefully, more enjoyable for your reader.

I actually got chills when I realized where and when Jimmy had been sent -- I can't WAIT for the next part! And who is "she"? -- Tess Mercer, maybe? I don't know. But I'm definitely intrigued and look forward to reading!

Comment

Great start Briee

Comment

Wow! That was definitely darker for sure. Gotta admit, this part kinda freaked me out. *shivers*
                          Star Girl lay there in front of them in her costume, staring up at them with empty eyes, her last expression one of pain and shock.
                          Her left hand was missing.

Bart stepped around Jimmy, sliding a little in the pool of blood that surrounded her as he forced himself to breathe through his mouth.
                          I have to hand it to you, Briee for stepping out of your comfort zone, this was one heck of a start!
                          This first part was fantatic. I felt like I was reading a script for an action movie or something haha
                          I'm not sure what graphic novel inspired you but I sure want to find out!

Can't wait to find out who the SHE is, though I have my suspicions, and WHO started this war! Finding out is going to be so much fun!

Love,love,love the details! Helps me with my imagination and all

Wow, Briee I don't know what else to say but thank you for the dedication. No one has ever dedicated anything to me before and I feel very honored especially when it's coming from you. Glad I could help inspire you. *sniffles* *runs to hug Briee*

Comment

Originally posted by tra42008
                            Great start, my friend. You didn't pull any punches with this one. The future is GRIM indeed.

I just hope I'm wrong about the bad girl...

I can't wait to see if Jimmy convinces Clark.
                            LOL, nope, I didn't. Yes, it really is and you haven't seen it all yet.

Well, as far as the 'bad girl' you'll have to wait a little bit to find out about her, but you will see if Jimmy convinces Clark in this update.

What the heck??? I need to know more!!! who is "she"?????
                            Update!!! I need an update!!!
                            LOL, well, I did promise something different, didn't I?

I can give you more with an update, but I'm afraid you're going to have to wait a little while longer before you know who 'she' is.

Absolutely amazing I love your stories it's good to see you writing again update soon
                            Thank you! It's good to be writing again, too!

WOW amazing start. I have so many questions. Where ´s future Clois?, who is "she"?, what catasprophe happened in the world?
                            please up date soon. I have a great feeling with this fic!
                            LOL, you do have a lot of questions don't you? And I... can't answer any of them yet.

But, I do have another update for you!

Great start ppms
                            Thanks! mih-- more is here!

WOW , more please...
                            Well, since you asked so nicely...

Fabulous start.

I have a feeling the evil 'she' is Lois and the 'he betrayed us' is Clark who couldn't help but want to be with Lois.

Can't wait for more action and excitement and Clois.
                            Thank you!

LOL, oh, the theories are starting already! I love it!

Excellent! Oh gosh. Briee, you never cease to amaze me. I usually stay away from action stories but I think I'd read the phone book if you wrote it.

I have an inkling of who the "she" is . . . which is an interesting . . . but I hope I'm wrong . .

I'm really curious who it was who betrayed them. Who was it that they took a gamble on? Briee you need to post spoilers, hahaha. We'll do an Ausiello type interview where you can give us misleading hints and we'll discuss and come up with insane theories and then when you post the rest of the story we'll all be like "duh, of course that's what she meant" and we'll feel like idiots in the wake of your awesomegeniusocity

Can't wait to read more!
                            LOL, well, if it makes you feel any better, meg, I usually try to stay away from writing action stories, but I thought it was time I branched out some.

Well, remember it's who they think betrayed them. You won't know for certain until later on in the story, LOL, or who it is for that matter.

LOL, so I can be as hated as Ausiello is? No, thanks. But, I may leave a hint or two here and there. Maybe. (How's that for vague? )

Okay, you are so getting karma at another site for that word. Seriously, meg, you crack me up!

Intense, exciting, intriguing, action-packed...I'm in! Looking forward to more.
                            LOL, lots of very good adjectives, especially when I went around killing off half the people in the first chapter. Here's hoping you feel the same after chapter two!

Love it! I love your research and passion behind the story as well. The fic that I've got up right now (Mr. and Mrs. Kent), started out as pretty dark, and it turned into one of my favorite fics that I've written. Sometimes pushing those boundaries can help you create something even more interesting and hopefully, more enjoyable for your reader.

I actually got chills when I realized where and when Jimmy had been sent -- I can't WAIT for the next part! And who is "she"? -- Tess Mercer, maybe? I don't know. But I'm definitely intrigued and look forward to reading!
                            LOL, well, there is definitely a lot of research into it and I'm hoping the drive behind it comes through as well. LOL, well, this one is going to be pretty dark all the way through, because I've never done one like that before. That's what I'm hoping will happen by pushing the boundaries. You guys will have to let me know if I get it right!

LOL, well, I can't tell you who 'she' is yet, but there is plenty more happening in the next chapter, so read on!

Great start Briee
                            Thanks!

Originally posted by LightSeeker
                            Wow! That was definitely darker for sure. Gotta admit, this part kinda freaked me out. *shivers*

I have to hand it to you, Briee for stepping out of your comfort zone, this was one heck of a start!
                            This first part was fantatic. I felt like I was reading a script for an action movie or something haha
                            I'm not sure what graphic novel inspired you but I sure want to find out!

Can't wait to find out who the SHE is, though I have my suspicions, and WHO started this war! Finding out is going to be so much fun!

Love,love,love the details! Helps me with my imagination and all

Wow, Briee I don't know what else to say but thank you for the dedication. No one has ever dedicated anything to me before and I feel very honored especially when it's coming from you. Glad I could help inspire you. *sniffles* *runs to hug Briee*
                            Well, I've always said that if you're going to do something, you shouldn't do it halfway. If you do, then the reader won't believe it as much.

LOL, it may sound weird, but I'm glad that it kind of freaked you out. I wanted to try my hand at something like this and I wanted to be as descriptive as I could without going over the PG-13 line, so this is what I came up and it's nice to know that it got a reaction.

LOL, it felt a little bit like trying to write out the first part of an action movie. Action sequences are very hard and props to anyone who tries them, they are not easy to describe with words!

I'll let you know about the graphic novel a little later on in the story. There's a few things I want to get posted first. But, in the end, you'll know it all!

Well, I can tell you that 'she' started this war, but I can't tell you who 'she' is. That you'll just have to wait for!

You're very welcome. You've helped me a lot and I just wanted to show my appreciation. *hugs back*

Okay, guys, here's the next chapter and it's a long one, so enjoy!

(Also, to those that were wondering about a posting schedule- my beta and I are going to try for once a week, but have a little patience with us if we fall behind!)

*And because RPK_Jovi is so wonderful, she didn't just make me one poster, she made me two, so I wanted to share both of them with you guys!*

Comment

II. No Longer The Heroes

"Things are not right in this world, are they?" "No, I don't think they are."

Clark sat on the couch in his loft staring at the cellphone in his hand. Displayed on the screen was the text message he had received the night before:

Chasing a lead, couldn't make it anyway.

He struggled to force down the confusing emotions that one sentence brought out. It was something he had gotten good at lately. In the three weeks since Lana had left, he had begun to pull away from those around him, becoming more isolated with every day that passed. He had gotten willfully lost in his responsibilities, using them as a way to insulate himself from his emotions and from everyone else as well.

He had worked at the Planet, taken care of the farm and every spare moment in between had been devoted to his duties as the Red Blue Blur. The days had slipped past, and it wasn't until the night before Lois was supposed to return to Metropolis that he had been at his desk and noticed the date circled in red on his calendar.

That had been the first time he had faltered, not knowing what he should do. His hand had hesitated over his cell before he turned to his computer instead, emailing to let her knew he would be there to pick her up from the airport the next morning.

But from there, time had split itself in two opposite directions- the way it had almost happened and the way that it had. In a day no one else remembered, he had never made it to the airport. And by choosing to circumvent Linda Lake's plan to use him as her puppet, he had revealed who he really was- first to Lois, and then to the world.

And they had embraced him, leaving him feeling more accepted than he had ever thought he could feel. For twenty-four hours, he had lived as he had always wanted to, with no secrets from anyone.

He exhaled sharply. But it had been a mistake. The world couldn't really accept the idea that someone who had been living as one of them all these years could have powers and not have some nefarious purpose for them. Once their adoration had faded, they had turned on him, blaming him for what he hadn't done, suspicious of what he could do, and wanting to control his life to ensure the safety of theirs.

Not everyone had, his mind contradicted him traitorously as his memory shifted to the sight of Lois standing in this very barn, her eyes sad and pleading as she had tried to make him understand something neither of them had been ready for.

"This was different," her voice, soft, insistent, whispered to him even now.

He closed his eyes, wondering if it really had been. If he had stayed, could he really have changed anything for the better? It was a chance he hadn't been willing to take; too many things had gone wrong. So, he had taken the Legion ring and gone back, making sure that this time he didn't repeat his mistakes. He had taken care of Linda Lake, staying long enough to make sure she had made it into police custody and then he had gone to the airport to pick up Lois.

But as he had driven the two of them to the Planet, he'd realized that he didn't know what to say to her. The first time, he had been the one who had alluded to what had happened, but it had been nearly forgotten in the aftermath of all that had followed until that moment in the barn. This time, he had kept quiet, thinking that Lois, who usually avoided emotional scenes, would simply brush it off or ignore it. Instead, she had turned to him, in a moment of honesty and confusion, looking at him as if she thought he might have the answers to the questions that had risen silently between them. When he hadn't, she had invited him out to coffee, maybe to see if they could find them together.

"If you want to come by for a coffee, cool. If not, let's just say I get it."

And though her offer had replayed itself through his mind the entire day, he hadn't mentioned it to Chloe when he had filled her in on everything that had happened with Linda Lake. He told himself it was because he hadn't wanted her to influence his opinion, but the truth was, this wasn't something he could share with her.

He had stayed away from the Planet for the rest of the afternoon, going home to change before speeding over to the cafe. There he had stood on the darkened street, still unsure of what he should do, only knowing that he had to see if she would come.

She had. He had taken a step further into the shadows as she had approached in a soft white jacket, watching as she had sat at one of the outdoor tables, flashing the waitress a nervous smile when she had given her order. As she had tilted her head, looking for him, he had known then that by not coming he was going to hurt her.

But he had finally learned the lesson Jor-El had been trying to teach him all these years- the greater the attachment, the greater the pain he caused. His dad had paid the price for loving him with his life. For Lana, the cost had been leaving her entire life behind, including him. And each one who had left had carved their mark on his heart. He wouldn't to that to anyone else, and he couldn't take the pain of losing another person he cared about. It was safer that way, for both of them.

Still he had lingered, unable to let her wait there for him. He had quickly sent a text, a lie and an apology mixed in one, and watched as she had picked up her phone. His heart had pounded harder as she had shaken her head in disappointment and then written a reply. He had expected her to deflect by saying that it was just coffee, not a big deal or that she had been too jet-lagged to talk anyway. But when he had lifted his phone to read her message, he'd found that she had lied in return, pretending that she wasn't there, that she hadn't taken the chance he had been unable to.

He had hesitated, some part of him wanting to go over there, but in the end he had walked away, knowing it was the right thing to do.

Now he had no idea how to act around her. He should have been at the Planet earlier this morning, but he hadn't known how to face her. He slid the phone shut, putting it back in his pocket as he caught sight of the framed picture on his desk. He stood up and went over to it, looking down at the face of Lana Lang. The sorrow in his heart swelled as he remembered those last moments with her, but it was quickly engulfed by the detached determination he had built over the last month.

He nodded to himself. He had done the right thing last night. Heroes didn't get the chance to love. Oliver had made that choice years ago, and now Clark had made it as well. It was the right one.

It was what the world needed that was important. That was the mantra he repeated to himself each day. The world came first.

As he put the frame down, a sudden explosion of light blinded him. He put his hands up to shield his eyes as it filled the barn. He felt a wave of energy pass over him, and then everything faded away, leaving the day just as it had been before. His brow furrowed as he went down the steps, intent on finding the source of the light. He had just reached the bottom when the hairs on the back of his neck stood up, letting him know he wasn't alone. He called out cautiously, "Who's there?"

His eyes landed on a figure standing in the shadows made by the barn loft as a tired voice croaked, "CK?"

Confused, he stepped closer. "Jimmy, is that you?"

Jimmy limped forward, a megawatt smile on his face. "I might ask you the same thing. Man, you don't know how happy I am to see you."

As he walked out of the shadows and into the light Clark's mouth dropped open in shock. The familiar grin told him the man before him was Jimmy Olsen, but the lines of strain around his mouth and the look in his eyes made him look older than the young photographer who was married to his best friend. Then he noticed the gash on his shoulder and the way he was limping, and knew that they were too fresh to have been caused by the attack at the wedding. Cautiously, he asked, "Jimmy, what happened? Was there an accident?"

The laughter that bubbled up from inside him came out with a hysterical edge. He could tell that from Clark's alarmed expression, but the emotions that were running through him- the giddiness, the leftover horror, the grief, the worry, and the absolute happiness of being here and finding Clark Kent just as he remembered, automatically responding with an offer to help- was almost too much for him. "Oh, how I wish it were that simple." The tears were in his eyes again as Jimmy took a step closer, reaching up to hug him. He clapped his hand on Clark's shoulder as he pulled back, his expression solemn but sincere. "It really is good to see you again."

Clark returned the hug, his worry rising. Jimmy was acting like they hadn't seen each other in years instead of months. Clark didn't understand why he was at the farm, either. He was supposed to be in the hospital, still recovering from his attack. Leaning back to look at him, Clark asked, "Jimmy, what are you doing here? I thought you were getting transferred to Met. Gen. this morning."

Jimmy's eyebrows furrowed, not entirely sure what date Oliver had sent him to. "What do you mean, CK?"

Feeling even more concerned now, he explained slowly, "Jimmy, I talked to Chloe yesterday and she told me that you had healed enough to be moved to Metropolis."

Jimmy's heart constricted as he realized then what time in his past he had come to. Deliberately pushing aside his own feelings, he forced himself to say reassuringly, "Clark, trust me, this isn't what you think. I'm not MIA from the hospital. In fact, I'm not who you think I am. Not exactly, anyway."

Clark's head cocked to the side as he studied him warily. "Jimmy, what's going on?"

He took a deep breath. This was the part he had to get exactly right. He had to give Clark enough information to get him to agree to help, without telling him too many details. "I'm from the future, CK. From the year 2024, and I need your help. The whole world needs your help."

Clark's gaze traveled from the fevered look in his eyes to the gash on his shoulder, and to the way he was balancing his weight on one leg. He said placatingly, "Jimmy, I think that you're just confused. This is 2009, and whatever attacked you at the wedding hasn't been seen since. Everyone's been looking for it, Jimmy, but it's gone. You're safe. Let's go inside and get you cleaned up, okay?"

Jimmy only shook his head in tired amusement, but then grunted as another shot of pain went through the wound on his shoulder. Looking down, he grimaced as he noted that it had started bleeding again. He must have opened it up when he had hugged Clark. He reluctantly nodded, gripping the cut. "Okay, CK."

He let Clark help him into the bright yellow farmhouse and sat patiently on the couch, rolling the pain relievers Clark had given him in his hands like dice. Jimmy watched as he carried in a first aid kit and a glass of water. Clark sat on the coffee table in front of him and held out the cup. He took and obediently swallowed the pills.

Clark said nothing as Jimmy struggled out of his jacket, but winced when he saw the exposed laceration on his shoulder. He opened the kit, getting out the gauze, tape and disinfectant. "Jimmy, we really need should get you to a hospital. You're going to need stitches in your shoulder and I think you might have sprained your ankle." As he spoke, he cleaned the wound and then taped the gauze over it. His x-ray vision had shown him that his ankle wasn't broken, but if he could convince Jimmy to go to a hospital, then maybe they could find out what had really happened to him. Hoping it would help sway him, he added, "And we need to let Chloe know where you are. She must be really worried about you, Jimmy."

He shook his head wryly. "And maybe get a CAT scan or two while I'm in the neighborhood? And they thought I would be the one who would be able to convince you," he murmured to himself. He put the glass down on the side table, his expression earnest. "I really am from the future."

Clark shot him a disbelieving look.

He sighed, muttering under his breath, "And the bombshells start. Okay, you're not actually human, you're Kryptonian. Your birth name is Kal-El, your cousin's name is Kara Zor-El. You've been zooming around Metropolis lately as the Red Blue Blur and the first one to snap a picture of you in action was me."

Clark shot up, automatically distancing himself as panic threatened to overwhelm him. His mind searched for any way that Jimmy could have found out about him. Could Chloe have said something on the phone to him while Jimmy was in the hospital and his subconscious had remembered it? He tried to smile gamely as he struggled to find a way to deny everything, "J-Jimmy, I think that you've just been under stress. I, uh, I don't even know what any of those names mean. Besides, I'm not him, remember? You saw the Red Blue Blur standing on the ledge with me right beside you."

Jimmy chuckled as he awkwardly slipped his jacket back on. "Yeah, Oliver did a heck of a job impersonating you, didn't he? But if you're still not convinced, call Chloe right now and ask her."

Not taking his eyes off Jimmy, he pulled his cell out of his pocket and dialed his best friend's number. After two rings, she picked up.

"Hello?" Her voice was hushed.

"Chloe, have you seen Jimmy this morning?"

"Yeah," she said slowly, "I'm sitting right next to him."

Clark's eyebrows arched in surprise. "What? Are you sure?"

She sounded confused as she answered, "Yeah, I'm sure. I've been with him all morning. They just finished admitting him into a private room at Met. Gen. Why are you asking about Jimmy? Is everything okay?"

His gaze was guarded now as he observed the man sitting in front of him. He said in the phone, "Yeah, everything's fine."

"Okay," there was a rustling sound and a groan, before Chloe muttered worriedly, "Clark, Jimmy just woke up, I've got to go."

Jimmy's smile was tinged with sadness and he determinedly brightened it. He had forgotten that this was a time before Clark had learned how much the world needed him, back when he had still been afraid that if he ever revealed his powers, they would turn against him. There was a lot he had forgotten about this time. "It's okay, CK. I've known who you really are for a long time, at least in my time, anyway. And it never changed anything about our friendship. It just turned out that one of my friends was well, a little more super than I thought."

Clark felt himself relax at the obvious sincerity in Jimmy's gaze and his easy acceptance of his abilities. Then a thought occurred to him that made him frown. "Jimmy, why do you need me to come with you if you're only fifteen years into the future? Where am I in your time?"

Jimmy's smile faded and he looked down. This was one of the reasons that he hadn't wanted to do this. He didn't want to be the one to have to tell him. But Jimmy knew his friend and Clark wouldn't go with him without at least some answers. Answers that he deserved. "Clark, you're- What I mean is- You're not-"

Clark felt a stillness creep over him as he realized what Jimmy was trying to say. He reached out and put a hand on on his uninjured shoulder, stopping him quietly, "It's okay, Jimmy. I understand."

Jimmy looked up, grateful that Clark hadn't made him say it. Then he saw the look of fear on his friend's face. Living these last few years had taught Jimmy just how hard it was to face your own mortality and here he was, literally bringing the reality of Clark's death to his door. He started awkwardly, "Clark, I-"

"It's okay," he repeated as he tried to smile at his friend. Clark went over to the window and stood, staring out at the farm. He mused quietly, "You know, it's funny, I used to worry that because I was different that I was going to live forever, that I was going to out live everyone that I loved. I guess that's not how it turned out. When did it happen?"

"I can't tell you that," Jimmy said regretfully as he stood up, gingerly putting his weight on his injured leg. "The plan is to take you back and then we'll explain as much as we can."

There were a million questions that ran through Clark's mind, but the one he asked was, "Why me?"

"There's something that we can't defeat. Someone," he clarified, looking away from Clark. "And the general belief is that you're the only guy for the job."

His eyebrows raised in surprise. "Me?"

Jimmy nodded, then tried to smile cheerfully at him. "So, what do you say, CK, will you help us save the world?"

Clark could see the desperation in his eyes hidden behind his smile and nodded. "What do we have to do?"

He gave a sigh of relief, not knowing until that moment how much he had been afraid Clark would turn him down. He let out a shaky laugh. "Well, the first thing we need to do is to get back to my time machine." Jimmy grinned up at him. "I've always wanted to say that."

He took a step forward and his leg gave out beneath him. Clark caught him before he could fall and frowned. "First let's get your ankle wrapped up so you can at least walk on it."

Jimmy nodded his agreement.

Once the ace bandage was snug around his ankle, Clark helped him through the kitchen door and down the porch steps.

Halfway down, Jimmy stopped him, his eyes glued to the sky.

"What is it?" Clark looked around, confused.

"I just want to watch the sunset," he said softly, gazing up at the sky filled with more brilliant colors than he had seen in such a long time.

"Why?"

Jimmy smiled sadly at him. "Let's just say I haven't seen one like this in a long time."

In silence they stood as Jimmy stared unblinkingly up at the sky, his eyes traveling over every color and shape. When the sun had nearly sunk into the cradle of the horizon, he took a deep breath, reminding himself of what lay ahead and nodded resolutely. "I'm ready."

They went down the steps and around the side of the house toward the apple trees where Jimmy had left the time machine. Clark looked between the trees, catching his first glimpse of the odd silver and white machine sitting there.

Jimmy nodded at the surprised look on his face. "Yeah, I know it looks more like a Hatchback than a time machine, but trust me, this baby outstrips a DeLorean any day of the week."

Clark didn't comment, only helped Jimmy over to it. Then he went around to the other side, climbing awkwardly into the small seat, his knees brushing the steel console in front of him.

Jimmy winced in sympathy at his cramped position. "Sorry, CK, I don't know where the seat controls for this thing are."

Clark waved off his concern. "That's okay, Jimmy. Let's go."

Jimmy hit the button Victor had shown him, and a low hum began, growing steadily louder. He advised quickly, "You might want to close your eyes."

Clark did, but the bright light still made its way through his lids. He watched the prisms of light dance across the back of his eyelids for a long moment before they began to fade. When they were completely gone, he cautiously opened his eyes and then blinked, to make sure he was seeing what he thought he was. He looked over at Jimmy, who once more wore the solemn expression he'd had when he had first stepped out of the shadows in the barn.

The general shape on the land told him they were in the same spot they had left just moments ago, but the similarities ended there. His house was gone, the barn, every structure, every thing. Gray clouds hung dirty and dark in the sky, leaving a blanketed shadow across the land.

Without a word to Jimmy he got out, looking down at the ground that crunched and crumbled beneath his feet like ash. Everything had been burned all around them. Every blade of grass, every tree, every living thing for miles was gone. "What happened?"

Jimmy glanced out at the familiar scenery, grimacing at the acrid smell of burning soil that was still so strong, even after almost three years. "She destroyed it, all of it. Smallville was obliterated off the face of the planet. It was the first city she hit."

"She?" He asked sharply, his gaze swinging back to Jimmy as he wondered who could have caused such destruction. How could one person do all of this?

Jimmy's eyes darted quickly up at the taller man, afraid that he had given too much away. But there were other things he had to worry about right now. His eyes searched the skies as he said, "We need to get out of here soon. It's too open, too exposed. We're sitting ducks out here, and trust me, in this time, you always need cover. The team is supposed to be here soon."

"Team?" Clark asked as he privately mused what kind of team could build a time machine and still be unable to prevent this.

As Jimmy opened his mouth to explain he had the familiar whirl overhead and sighed in relief. They were here.

They watched as the large black plane landed almost silently on the soft ground, quieting to a whisper as it powered down; the whirling blades making the dirt rise in the air like powder around them.

He beamed at Clark. "Yeah, this is the team. You might recognize them."

The door opened, revealing three people. Two of them stepped out, identical looks of relief crossing their faces as they saw Clark.

"You're here," Oliver said, his shoulders slumping, unaware of how tense they had been until that moment. Then he straightened once more, his eyes searching the perimeter. "We don't have much time. We need to get the machine moved now."

But Bart ignored him, smiling as he sped over to the large man, enthusiastically slapping him on the back. "Amigo, it is good to see you!"

Clark couldn't help but grin back at him. Like Jimmy, he looked older than his counterpart in Clark's time, but Bart still seemed like the guy he knew. Bart had always had a way of making him see the lighter side of life, and he was glad to know that whatever had happened in the future, it hadn't dampened that part of him. "Yeah, I hear it's been a while."

At this, their gaze turned sharply to Jimmy who shrugged. "He was going to find out sooner or later. Did you really think I was going to show up and get him to come with me, no questions asked?"

"And just how many of these questions did you answer?" Oliver asked silkily, a dangerous look in his eyes as he took a step closer.

"Oliver," the third man who had been quiet until now spoke, a warning in his voice. J'onn stepped out of the back of the plane, nodding once toward Clark with a small smile before turning to his time traveling companion. "James, I told you I would keep an eye out for you."

Jimmy grinned in return. "You have no idea how happy I am to see you guys."

Oliver said shortly, "Guys, this heart-felt reunion can wait until we're safe. Let's get gone."

Clark and J'onn carefully loaded the device into the cargo bay, the others climbing on board after them. J'onn and Oliver moved to the cockpit, while Jimmy, Bart and Clark sank onto the bench seats around the walls of the plane, the machine between them.

Once they were in the air Jimmy was able to breathe a little easier and turned to Bart, asking eagerly, "How did you guys make it out of there?"

He just shook his head, remembering the fight. "I was beginning to have my doubts, amigo. We were about one hit away from being massacred, but then Zee showed up. She did the hocus pocus thing, and before you know it, zip bam boom, she teleported us back to Earth."

"And the station?" Jimmy asked now, his brow furrowed.

Bart shook his head again, this time in disgust. "As far as we can tell, it's gone. We're having to piggyback on existing satellites for any Intel we're getting, and we can't stay tapped in for long. But, it looks like she's either stripped it down or destroyed it. Probably both."

"What about Victor?" Jimmy gestured to his face, where Victor's skin had been blown away by the explosion.

Bart settled back against the seat. "He's okay. He and J'onn went down to Mexico for a weapon's run, and they stopped by the only working Queen Industries lab left." He smirked at him. "No worries, Jimmy, the Tin Man's just as ugly as he was before."

Clark only half listened to their conversation, not paying enough attention to them to really understand it. His focus was on the ground below. The scorched town that had been his home had given way to sporadic fires that seemed to lead toward the city. Large parts of everything beneath them had either been destroyed or burned. Vegetation was scarce and Clark hadn't seen any indication of life at all. There was so much destruction, he thought disbelievingly.

As they approached Metropolis, Jimmy and Bart grew silent, the atmosphere in the cabin tense. But, instead of continuing toward the city, Clark felt the plane descend.

They landed on a small airstrip that looked like it had been condemned. He followed the rest of them as they stood and moved to the door of the plane. He glanced back to see Oliver standing up and coming over to join them while Bart went to the front with J'onn who remained in the pilot seat. Jimmy, Oliver and Clark disembarked, stepping back as the engine fired back up. Clark's eyebrows rose as he watched the plane ascend again.

Oliver answered his unasked question, "They have to get the plane to a secure location. All air traffic is monitored in Metropolis. This is one of the landing fields that we use, but every time we do, it raises the risk that we might be discovered. But this time we had no choice. We had to make sure we were the ones who recovered the Time Sphere. We'll drive in to Metropolis from here."

He nodded toward an old CJ-5 Jeep that looked like it had seen better days. Oliver got into the driver's seat while Jimmy scrambled into the back, leaving Clark to take the front. They followed the interstate into Metropolis, the concrete road busted in some places and missing chunks in others. In the hour that it took them to reach the city, they only passed two other cars. Both looked to be in the same condition as the jeep.

Metropolis itself was almost unrecognizable. Debris littered the dirty streets, and there were only a few buildings that had power. Those that did had only a small number of windows lit up, close to the ground floor. Some buildings had been demolished while others had been condemned. It looked like the city had been under a different attack than the outlying towns, but an attack all the same.

Oliver took the back streets, pulling the jeep into a deserted parking garage, hiding it in a corner on the bottom level. The power was out there as well. When they got out Oliver turned on a low beam flashlight, leading the way toward the stairwell. Inside it was hot and stifling, the air so thick that it was hard to breathe.

Jimmy wiped the sweat off his brow.

Clark had thought they would go up to the street, but instead Oliver went down the stairs, stopping at a door with a sign on it that read 'Maintenance Room.' The light in his mouth, he reached in his back pocket, pulling out a small kit and jimmied the locked, swinging the door open.

It was a tiny room and even hotter than the stairwell. They went to the far wall where there was a large metal safety procedures sign hanging up. Oliver pulled down one side, revealing a hole big enough for a person to step through.

Clark went first, followed by Jimmy who gagged a little at the dusty smell mixed in with the faint odor of sewage. He smiled apologetically at Clark and whispered, "There are just some smells I can't get used to."

Oliver didn't comment, merely stepped in behind them, hooking the sign back in place. Then he motioned toward the left, setting off in that direction with Clark and Jimmy trailing him. Their path kept them following two long pipes for almost fifteen minutes before they came to a door. It looked like it had been rusted over, but a closer glance revealed the hinges were smooth and oiled. Oliver's gaze swung to the left and right before opening it and going inside.

They came out in what looked like the lobby of an older building. The grainy white tiles on the floors were cracked and there wasn't any lights on here, either. But compared to the sewer it was cooler and Jimmy gave a sigh of relief, able to breathe easier now that the stench was gone.

"Welcome to the new Watchtower, so to speak," Oliver announced as they moved toward the elevator.

Clark was surprised when Oliver punched the button and the arrow lit up. He hadn't thought this building had power, either. The elevator doors opened, and they went in, Oliver pressing the button for the top floor.

Jimmy couldn't believe how fast the new headquarters had been set up. He had known they would have to have a base of operations soon, but he hadn't expected it to be here. He supposed it made sense. It was one of the few buildings that they knew was secure. Oliver had stored extra ammo and other supplies here before. Now it seemed it had taken the leap from storage to Watchtower.

Oliver saw the look of recognition in his eyes and elaborated, "We thought that it might be time to revisit some old haunts." Turning back to look at Clark, he explained, "This place has been condemned for a while now. It's boarded up tight from the outside and with the fortifications we've made to it, we're hoping that she won't know we're here."

"She?" Clark asked again and noted how both men froze.

Jimmy looked helplessly at Oliver, not wanting to be the one to tell him this, not this Clark who had come from a time where he had never known the destruction and devastation they had.

Oliver nodded understandingly as the elevator stopped and the doors opened. They got off and he looked back at Clark while he dismissed the other man, "Jimmy, go get cleaned up. We'll be along shortly. The showers are down the hall, last door to the left before the main room."

Clark watched Jimmy give him a timid smile before hurriedly leaving. Without another word Oliver turned to the right, going down another hallway. Clark followed him as he opened the door to a room that at one time might have been an office. Now it had been converted into an armory. The walls were lined with knives, guns, and high tech weaponry of every kind, some that he knew and some that he didn't recognize. What he didn't see was any of the Green Arrow gear. His voice carefully nonchalant, he asked, "What happened to the arrows?"

Oliver picked up a Sig Sauer that was lying on the table and shoved a magazine into it. "Arrows don't get the job done now." He cocked the gun before meeting his eyes grimly. "We're not the heroes anymore, Clark. We're soldiers."

Clark read the hostility in his gaze and felt his own temper bristle in return. He braced his legs and crossed his arms. He had waited long enough. He asked belligerently, "And I've been recruited to this war because?"

"We needed you," he answered simply. Oliver put the gun down and went to a table to their right, picking up a bullet from the container sitting there. He held it up for Clark to see. "Ammo is hard to come by these days. The E- she has everything monitored closely, so it has to be smuggled in. These are courtesy of our latest shipment that J'onn brought in yesterday. Once fired, it releases the trigger and opens up. As it hits your target, it shreds through them, embedding itself into the muscle and bone. It's damn near impossible to get out; before they bleed to death, that is."

Clark felt sickened by the lack of emotion in his tone and the easy way he talked of a horrific death as an advantage. What had his friend turned into? His voice softer now, he asked, "What happened, Oliver?"

Oliver put the bullet back, turning away from Clark as he braced his hands on the edge of the table. His eyes closed against the patient tone of his voice that reminded him so much of the friend he had lost; the one he had put all his hopes of winning this war into. Now those hopes were transferred to the man standing behind him.

He took a deep breath, facing Clark as he leaned back against the table, his arms crossed. "Three years ago, we were betrayed. Someone that we thought was on our side, someone who was supposed to be one of the good guys, turned. Turned in ways that I never could have imagined. She did this," he made a sweeping motion with his hand, "all of this, destroyed by her."

"Who is she?" Clark asked urgently, taking a step forward. He thought that if he knew that, then he might be able to start making sense out of all this.

Oliver shook his head. "No, I can't tell you. Not yet."

"Oliver-"

He cut him off, his voice fierce, "No! You think you understand what she's done just because you've seen a tiny fraction of it? Well, you don't. You can't even begin to grasp what's happened to this world!" A manic gleam lit his eyes as a plan began to form. "But you will. And once you do, once you really understand, then I'll answer your questions."

"When?" Clark asked angrily, not liking the idea that he was being brought in blind and told nothing.

"Within twenty-four hours," he promised, realizing then how to do it. He took a deep breath to calm himself, knowing he had to divert Clark's attention. "But right now, we should meet up with the rest of them. Most everyone should be here by now."

He walked past Clark out of the room, following the same direction that Jimmy had gone earlier. He pushed open the frosted glass double doors to reveal a big open room that had been converted into a combination kitchen and living room.

Clark thought that at one time it had probably been a bar or a restaurant. There were couches set up on one side around a small flat screen TV and on the other side there was a small bar with stools on one side and a round scarred table opposite it. All of the furniture and appliances looked older and used, making Clark wonder if they had scoured abandoned apartments to get them.

Oliver explained as the entered, "The levels of electricity are restricted around the city. We've found a way to siphon off other buildings to divert suspicion from here, but the less we use, the better. So, we try to combine as many rooms as we can."

Clark heard a sharp intake of breath behind him and turned to see Kara standing there, dressed in a pair of black pants and a black leather jacket.

She felt her face go slack with shock at the sight of her cousin standing there, looking confused and so young. As she took in his blue jacket and red shirt, she realized then what had happened. Her eyes flashed with anger as she turned to Oliver and hissed, "What have you done? I thought we had agreed to wait until we could all vote."

Oliver shrugged unrepentantly. "Change of plans."

"Dammit, Oliver! You had no right to decide this without consulting everyone, consulting me!" She glanced at Clark, realizing what she had to say didn't need to be said in front of him. She had no idea what Oliver had told him yet or what he wanted from Clark. Narrowing her gaze as she glared at Oliver, she ordered, "Outside, now!"

Clark watched them as they walked out the double doors and felt a slap on his shoulder. He looked down to see Bart standing there, a sympathetic smile on his face.

"Give her time, amigo. Speaking from experience, seeing you again is a major shock to the system." He went behind the bar and started fixing himself a sandwich. "Want one?"

"I'm not hungry." Clark sank onto a stool on the opposite side. He nodded at the way Bart was inhaling his food. "It's nice to see that some things haven't changed."

Bart smirked at him. "Yeah, well, the faster my metabolism goes, the faster I heal. And right now, we need everyone at their best." He stared at the man before him, knowing the questions that had to be running through his mind. "That includes you, too, you know. Sure I can't interest you in a doubledecker special?"

Clark just shook his head at the sandwich being waved in front of him. "No, I'm good."

"Well, in that case, I'm going to my room and catch a few zzs before my next patrol shift," Bart mumbled around a bite. "Want me to show you were you can bunk tonight?"

"I think I'll just stay out here, wait for Kara."

Bart shrugged. "Suit yourself. Hasta manana, amigo."

Once he was alone, Clark went to the television, turning it on. Hearing a noise, he looked up and caught sight of Kara walking back through the double doors. She had changed into a white tank top and pajama pants. A few seconds later, Oliver came through a door on the right, still wearing the same clothes. He didn't glance Clark's way as he went to the bar to fix himself something to eat.

Clark grabbed the remote and sat down on the floor in front of the television just as Kara slipped down beside him, impulsively hugging him around the neck. Surprised, he reached up and returned the hug.

"Whatever it sounded like earlier," she said as she leaned back and kissed him on the cheek, "I am so glad that you're back."

"Kara," Oliver said sharply, "we didn't bring him here so that he could stay. We brought him here to help-"

"End it," she finished bitterly. "I know, Oliver. I've been here just like everyone else. But he's been gone for two years, and I, I just-"

"Hey," Clark interrupted, hating the tense way she held herself, as though steeling for a blow. He held her hand, squeezing gently, "it's okay. I'm here now and that's all that matters, right?"

She nodded, swallowing back her tears and grief, taking temporary comfort in his presence even as she lied to him, "Yeah, that's all that matters."

Wanting to make her feel better, he put his arm around her shoulders and eased her close to him. With a sigh, she rested against him with all the trust of a child, her arm coming up to curl around his waist. This was an affectionate side of Kara that he had never known existed. She had always been reserved; something he had thought was a Kryptonian trait. He leaned them both back against the couch. Something made him turn his head and he looked up to see Oliver watching them with an inscrutable look on his face that hinted at weariness. Then he turned and walked away.

Clark rubbed Kara's arm absentmindedly, staring after him. Then he picked up the remote, flipping the channels as he tried to find the news so that he might have some kind of clue as to what was happening in the world. An unusual symbol was in the corner where the station's logo should be. In fact, he thought, frowning, it was on all the channels.

Seeing two people seated behind a news desk, he stopped, pressing the mute button to keep anyone else from hearing. What he saw confirmed what Oliver and Jimmy had told him. There was nothing but destruction and chaos. Death rates were given, totaling how many had died that day, while other reports listed bombings and fires that had happened not only in Metropolis but the world beyond. No place seemed to have been spared.

Unable to watch anymore, he turned it off and looked down to find his cousin asleep against him. Carefully he lifted her up and laid her down on the couch, noting the dark circles under her eyes and the lines of strain around her mouth. He covered her with a faded red blanket that had been slung across the back of the cushions.

Standing up, he walked toward a stain glass door to the left, hoping that it would lead to the outside of the building. He breathed a sigh of relief when it did. As he made his way across the roof, he paused in surprise, recognizing the building. It was the place with a high crow's nest that he had used for a look out point when he patrolled Metropolis. He had only found it a few weeks before, but something about the building had drawn him to it.

He went to the edge now, standing in the very spot he had stood only yesterday. He took in the chaos below him that was Metropolis now. Fires lit up the entire city, smoking rising everywhere in billowing clouds. He knew without being told that Oliver's team was out there, even now, trying to help where they could. But from where he stood, it looked like a losing battle. The fires were like great orange tears reaching up to heaven, begging for an absolution.

"Kal-El," he turned at the sound of his Kryptonian name and found J'onn standing there, "do you wish company or would you prefer to be alone with your thoughts?"

"No, stay, it's fine." He turned back to watching the city, murmuring, "I don't think that being alone is what I need right now, anyway."

The anger, the fear, the disbelief at what he was seeing rolled off the young Kryptonian in waves, J'onn thought as he moved to stand beside him. "I can feel your incredulity and it is deserved," he commented as he, too, stared out at the city, thinking back to what it had been so close to being and the dystopia that it had become. "Even when you have lived as long as I have, you never become accustomed to watching the world tear itself apart."

"No, you don't," he agreed absently, his mind still on the city below him.

As the quiet of the night grew around them, J'onn glanced toward the young man fighting to take in so much and knew he could show no less courage.

"I had thought to walk this long path of life with you longer than I did," he admitted, and watched from the corner of his eyes as Clark's head whipped toward him. His smile was full of somber irony as he continued, "You are Kryptonian, I, Martian. I had thought that perhaps we would watch the changes of the world come together."

"But, instead, I died," Clark finished leadingly, fishing for information. "And she did all this."

"Yes, she did," he agreed heavily. He turned to face the younger man fully now. "I can sense your frustration, Kal-El, and I know that you wish to have all the answers to the questions you seek. You are much like your father in that respect. But you must trust me when I say that too much cannot be revealed at once. You must see the full ramifications of her actions before we make her presence known to you."

"Why?" Clark asked, frustrated. "Why does it matter? She destroyed the world, what more is there for me to know? Was she someone from my time? Do I know her? Is she important to me?"

"I will not answer your questions, Kal-El, not yet. The time had not yet come."

"Tell me something," he demanded, his anger reaching a boiling point. "I need answers. This morning I was in my barn and tonight I'm standing in Metropolis fifteen years in the future being told that I died. That the world has been taken over by some woman, but nobody will tell me who she is! She did all of this, and somehow you think that the person I am now will be able to do the job I obviously couldn't do before- stop her."

"We are hoping that," J'onn hesitated, choosing his words carefully, "the person you are at this point in your life will be able to help us secure the end we desire."

"And what end is that?"

"An end to this destruction," J'onn said solemnly, suddenly feeling every one of the years of his long life, "to the pain and killing that we have been unable to stop."

"And you think I can do that?" Clark asked incredulously. "I haven't finished my training with Jor-El. I've barely started. I'm still learning how to be the hero the world needs, and here I can't do that. I don't know anything about this world. I don't have any answers for you. All I have are questions."

"There are some things that are instinctive to us, no matter what we still have to learn. You will do the right thing," he reassured him, and gave what comfort he could, "You always have. I have no doubt in this endeavor you will continue that."

In the face of J'onn's sincerity, his anger died as suddenly as it had flared. "Why are you telling me all this?" Clark asked, wondering what had prompted this sudden insight from the man in front of him.

The Martian hesitated, his eyebrows furrowing. It was hard, even now, to say it, but the passage of time had given him a second chance. He would not waste it. "I told you once that your connection to humans made you weak, and at that time, it did."

Clark gave a slight smile in wry acknowledgment, remembering, but let him continue uninterrupted.

"But you took your weakness and turned it into your greatest strength. I admired you for that. But, as is often the case, we let time pass without saying the things that we should. And then one of my greatest friends was dead and my chance was gone. I did not want to let this opportunity pass by me again."

"J'onn," Clark faltered helplessly. He had no idea how to handle the sadness written in the older man's eyes.

"There is no need for words," he said, understanding what his friend was unable to say. Then he smiled wryly, "especially with me."

Clark nodded and in silence they stood once more staring out, sentries guarding the city.

Well?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎