Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luthor Mansion is being used as Oliver Queen's home.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luthor Mansion is being used as Oliver Queen's home.

Well this is interesting:

Castle home to the Arrow

Royal Roads landmark to be featured in pilot for superhero series

By Michael D. Reid, Times Colonist March 13, 2012

Archery wasn't on the agenda at Royal Roads University last time we checked, but apparently it will be soon.

The university's historic centrepiece, Hatley Castle, will face the cameras later this month, we have learned, for two days of filming on Arrow, the CW network's pilot for a new series inspired by DC Comics' long-running Green Arrow franchise.

Produced by Warner Bros. TV in association with Berlanti Productions, the hour-long modern retelling stars Stephen Amell (Hung, Queer as Folk) as Oliver Queen, the former billionaire playboy who, after being marooned on a desert island for five years, returns with a mysterious new agenda and lethal skills he uses in his war on crime.

The legendary Robin Hood-like crimefighter was previously played on the network by Justin Hartley from 2006 to 2011 in Smallville, the long-running Superman-inspired series that ended its 10-year run last year and inspired the spinoff.

Network star Katie Cassidy (Gossip Girl, Supernatural) has been cast as Laurel, a young attorney ostensibly based on Dinah Lance, the comic-book character whose superhero moniker is Black Canary. The daughter of pop star David Cassidy was a familiar face around town last year while here to star in Kyle Mann's untitled thriller, formerly known as The New Girl.

Law & Order: Criminal Intent alumnus Jamey Sheridan, most recently seen in HBO's Game Change and Showtime's Homeland as U.S. vicepresident William Walden, has also joined the cast as Robert Queen, the vigilante crimefighter's father.

The growing cast also features Susanna Thompson (Once & Again) as Oliver's mother; David Ramsey (Dexter) as his private security guard; and British actor Colin Salmon (Resident Evil) in a potentially recurring role as a key executive.

The resourceful hero in CW's Green Arrow project is already being described as the Jason Bourne of superheroes.

"It's very provocative and sophisticated and edgy," CW development head Thom Sherman told Entertainment Weekly.

Sherman described the clever, physically powerful archer as a "very grounded" cross between Bourne and Rambo.

The Arrow pilot is being directed by David Nutter (Entourage, Smallville), from a script by executive producers Greg Berlanti (Everwood) and Marc Guggenheim, his collaborator on Green Lantern. The dynamic production duo joined forces with executive producer Andrew Kreisberg (Fringe, The Vampire Diaries), who they worked with on Eli Stone and other projects.

Details are being kept under wraps on local filming of the comic-book adaptation that will continue shooting in Vancouver before crews briefly relocate. Hatley Castle will reportedly masquerade as home base for the show's central character.

It won't be the first time the oceanfront edifice has hosted superheroes. Hatley Castle notably portrayed Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters in the X-Men movies, and Lex Luthor's estate in Smallville.

Royal Roads University is pleased to welcome Warner Bros., said Lorraine Burtoi, the Campus Service Division's manager of scheduling and events.

"Our ability to support filming activities creates revenue opportunities for the Greater Victoria community at large and showcases our destination worldwide," she said.

The upcoming Arrow shoot, however brief, couldn't be better timed, added Victoria film commissioner Kathleen Gilbert.

"It's been a slow start to the year so I'm extremely happy to have it shooting here," Gilbert said. "The economic impact of those few days can be substantial."

All going well, Arrow would be rolled out as part of the CW's 2012-13 season.

[email protected]

Okay...

Originally posted by Poweranimals
    Well this is interesting:
    So Lionel Luthor wasn't the only one to ship his personal castle across the ocean to the US?

Or perhaps Oliver's dad simply looked at the same brochure and decided to get one built for his very own... so since Olly's mum's alive doesn't that mean she's the billionairess?

Technically Olly is of age so I was kind of wondering if at some point some guy in a red jacket and wearing blue jeans starts to regularly penetrate the security of this place just to start arguments with one of the residents?

Just asking mind you!

Seriously though I assume they got some sort of deal where its more affordable to rent this place than look for something else...

Comment

And yet they are trying to stay away from Smallville by not having Justin play Green Arrow but it's alright to use the Smallville Luthor mansion.

Comment

Wow. This looks amazing. I hope this means that Arrow will more or less be picked up. I can't deal with another disappointment.

Comment

The legendary Robin Hood-like crimefighter was previously played on the network by Justin Hartley from 2006 to 2011 in Smallville, the long-running Superman-inspired series that ended its 10-year run last year and inspired the spinoff.

actually calling it a spinoff?? orrrr is that liberty of the article writer?? more excited if its the 1st one but id take it either way...

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
            And yet they are trying to stay away from Smallville by not having Justin play Green Arrow but it's alright to use the Smallville Luthor mansion.
            I thought of the same but the mansion was used for the X-Men movies too. I hope they don't use same angles and same lighting conditions as Smallville did though. And the interiors will differ from SV too (or they'll use a set, either way).

Comment

Hatley castle lol

Didnt know the castle was in Xmen, thats awesome, what a legend.
              Last edited by Aquahyde; 03-14-2012, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                I thought of the same but the mansion was used for the X-Men movies too. I hope they don't use same angles and same lighting conditions as Smallville did though. And the interiors will differ from SV too (or they'll use a set, either way).
                They probably will change the inside but you know when the outside of the castle is shown, some viewers are going to think Green Arrow went to Smallville for a visit.

Comment

Again if they present the mansion differently then viewers might not spot it. I certainly didn't recognize the Luthor mansion or Xavier's School to be the same mansion before I read it here.

Comment

I recognized the picture above as Luthor Mansion, but yeah, I didn't recognize it as the X Mansion.
                    Like someone said, if they use different angles (preferably not the angle in the picture) and different lighting, Queen Mansion in Arrow will look different.

Comment

Okay, well you guys let me know how the mansion looks. I probably won't see it anyway until I read some reviews to make sure I won't be wasting my time. It's going to take a pretty great show for me to start watching the CW again.

Comment

To me it doesn't matter what lightning or different angles they attempt with this pilot. If I watch it assuming that it's green-lit i'll still be going 'Hey Oliver high jacked Lex's mansion'.

Comment

^^Yep, they let the cat out of the bag and some viewers are going to know no matter what they do to try to change the look of the castle.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
                            Okay, well you guys let me know how the mansion looks. I probably won't see it anyway until I read some reviews to make sure I won't be wasting my time. It's going to take a pretty great show for me to start watching the CW again.
                            If Arrow is picked up, I'll definitely watch the pilot even before I read the reviews.
                            But yes, at the moment, it's the only show that'll get me to watch the CW again.
                            I like shows aired on ABC and CBS these days.

Comment

^^If I like what I hear about Arrow, I can buy the episode on Amazon so I won't miss anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎