Collapse
No announcement yet.

My finale thoughts on Lex in smallville

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like I wrote earlier, if it wasn't for Chloe, Clark would have revealed his secret and would have trusted Lex with the knowledge about the Kawatchi Caves not to mention probably hook up with Lana ending that one tragically given his other intended actions. Without his memories Clark would have made different decisions and ultimately could have become a whole different person.

Comment

"Lex should only become president IF PEOPLE LIKE CLARK AREN'T AROUND TO STOP HIM."

Boyscout, I know you and I have debated about Lex as president a lot before but I think I'm seeing more where you're coming from when you put it like that. But here's where I'm coming from: Lex Luthor will ALWAYS become president--just like he did in the comic books--and that is not something that would change with Superman's presence. In the comics, Superman can't stop Lex from becoming president because his black and white view of morality prevents him from stopping a "democratic vote" of the people. However, what Superman's presence can and does prevent is the nuclear armageddon we saw in "Apocalypse" or the symbolic field of beautiful flowers laid to waste by a darkness in Lex's heart in "Hourglass".

See part of the point of Lex and Clark's final meeting in "Finale" is that both men will always be around to keep the other one in check. Sure, Lex may end up becoming the most influential man in the US besides Superman, but that's the key. "BESIDES Superman". Superman, as Clark said in "Finale", "will always be there to stop Lex. Always."

----- Added 18 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
      ^ You raise up good points. "

Thanks, Boyscout, you too. That's why our debates are always such fun .

"It's true, personality and skills don't change even with amnesia. However I'd argue that your skills and personality do not determine what the person ends up becoming. They might guide them to a certain path but it's not the same as decision making."

I agree with you for sure. But I wasn't trying to suggest that it's merely Lex's personality and skills that guide him toward decision making. What I'm trying to say is that Lex's traumatic experiences will ALWAYS guide his decision making, even if he doesn't remember the specifics. It's the same as a trauma victim who's been abused, for example. Often times people who have been sexually abused as children, for instance, have aversions to sexuality (or on the opposite end will embrace it in a promiscuous way) without even knowing the reason why because the memories were blocked out from their mind. They experiences still influence and shape decision making even if the memories are gone or "paralyzed" from the person's recognition. NOTE: I am not saying ALL victims of abuse react this way, just saying it's common in psychological studies. This should not take away the idea of choice in the victim but merely suggests that our pasts shape us even when we don't remember all of our pasts.

"SV already switched the theme with Clark Luthor. An anti-Clark who was raised by Lionel. He killed and terrorized but because it was convinient to the plot he turned good. And no, chokeslamming Tess through a glass and about to drop her off a buolding does not equal love."

Haha at your chokeslamming quote, true lol. But I'd argue that they didn't change the theme. The theme was always about nurture and choice. Clark Luthor was raised by Lionel Luthor so he became a murderous tyrant the same way Lex did. However, Clark Kent was able to get to Clark Luthor in time to help inspire change in him whereas with Lex, Clark Kent was too late to pull him back from the dark side. I don't think this has anything to do with Clark Luthor's nature but I think it's again all about his nurture and his choice to pull back from the path of darkness.

I would also argue that Clark Luthor didn't have it as hard as Lex Luthor (in regular Earth 1) had it in terms of being raised. Lionel molded Clark Luthor in his own image, but unlike Lex, Clark gave in to Lionel's control. Lex tried to rebel against it and Lionel only made things worse for him by becoming his constant competitor. And due to the incident with Julian, Lionel always saw Lex as his adversary, his opponent. That did not happen with Clark Luthor, so again it was a difference in NURTURE that made Clark Luthor able to redeem, since his nurture wasn't AS harsh as Lex's.

Let's use another example: Lionel Luthor in Earth 1. He was raised by abusive parents whom he murdered and then went on to become an evil corporate tycoon/megalomaniac much like Lex. But Clark and Martha were able to inspire him to become a good man in his final years. For Lex though, it was too late. He didn't make the CHOICE to redeem the way that Lionel did.

Basically "SV" is saying anyone can choose to redeem but some people just don't want to be saved.

"Ignoring Lex's arc doesn't make sense but then again the writing on the show doesn't make sense a lot of times. Kelly and Brian weren't producers in the Al & Miles Lex Luthor era."

They weren't producers but they WERE some of the major writers during the Lex Luthor era. They put in just as much work as Al and Miles did for Lex's arc on the series, I would believe. Because as writers they constantly were creating and reshaping his arc and all the little details that made Lex who he is. I doubt they'd want to just erase their own work like that.

"Smallville was all about the why and how. Making Lex forget it is the exact opposite. If Lex does indeed end up evil again because of his skills and personality drove him to it...I think it would have been for the wrong reasons because he can't remember the actions behind the choices. He's being evil because he doesn't know any better. Literally."

But even if he doesn't remember why, the experiences and choices of his past still would influence who he is now. Another example is The Joker, who--especially in graphic novels like "The Killing Joke"--doesn't seem to remember his past completely but he still retains the emotions that made him who he is. Or again what about the example I mentioned with Ted Bundy?

"Smallville's been wrong before with it's science. I think the last time was regarding Conner and something to do with his aging. I think they chose the words because they sounded cool. Even if that wasn't the case they should have concentrated more on Tess' lines about the world not existing to him. Just make him forget the last few years of mostly offscreen death. Make him forget the finale of S7. That's it. Everything else could have remained. Lex's lines about forgetting memories to me meant that he didn't forget Clark's secret after Lex's rebirth. He obviously didn't remember it after the mind wipe so I see no reason to assume he'd obtain any of the other memories. The show didn't tell us. It gave us visual clues that fall flat given in what state Lex is. They have new meanings now. Perhaps evil but not the same evil that Lex was prior."
      First of all let me reiterate that I 100% agree with you that if he had to forget then at least it make it only up to a point instead of having him forget his entire life. But again I'm not arguing about the execution, merely what the intended meaning seems to be. The visual cues you mentioned etc. all seem to indicate that the writers were thinking Lex is still Lex but doesn't know why. They don't seem to indicate anything else. And even if the execution fell flat or didn't explain enough, it still seems to be the route they were going IMO.

----- Added 42 Minutes later -----

"Lex should only become president IF PEOPLE LIKE CLARK AREN'T AROUND TO STOP HIM."

Boyscout, I know you and I have debated about Lex as president a lot before but I think I'm seeing more where you're coming from when you put it like that. But here's where I'm coming from: Lex Luthor will ALWAYS become president--just like he did in the comic books--and that is not something that would change with Superman's presence. In the comics, Superman can't stop Lex from becoming president because his black and white view of morality prevents him from stopping a "democratic vote" of the people. However, what Superman's presence can and does prevent is the nuclear armageddon we saw in "Apocalypse" or the symbolic field of beautiful flowers laid to waste by a darkness in Lex's heart in "Hourglass".

See part of the point of Lex and Clark's final meeting in "Finale" is that both men will always be around to keep the other one in check. Sure, Lex may end up becoming the most influential man in the US besides Superman, but that's the key. "BESIDES Superman". Superman, as Clark said in "Finale", "will always be there to stop Lex. Always."

----- Added 18 Minutes later -----

^ You raise up good points. "

"It's true, personality and skills don't change even with amnesia. However I'd argue that your skills and personality do not determine what the person ends up becoming. They might guide them to a certain path but it's not the same as decision making."

I agree with you for sure. But I wasn't trying to suggest that it's merely Lex's personality and skills that guide him toward decision making. What I'm trying to say is that Lex's traumatic experiences will ALWAYS guide his decision making, even if he doesn't remember the specifics. It's the same as a trauma victim who's been abused, for example. Often times people who have been sexually abused as children, for instance, have aversions to sexuality (or on the opposite end will embrace it in a promiscuous way) without even knowing the reason why because the memories were blocked out from their mind. They experiences still influence and shape decision making even if the memories are gone or "paralyzed" from the person's recognition. NOTE: I am not saying ALL victims of abuse react this way, just saying it's common in psychological studies. This should not take away the idea of choice in the victim but merely suggests that our pasts shape us even when we don't remember all of our pasts.

"SV already switched the theme with Clark Luthor. An anti-Clark who was raised by Lionel. He killed and terrorized but because it was convinient to the plot he turned good. And no, chokeslamming Tess through a glass and about to drop her off a buolding does not equal love."

Haha at your chokeslamming quote, true lol. But I'd argue that they didn't change the theme. The theme was always about nurture and choice. Clark Luthor was raised by Lionel Luthor so he became a murderous tyrant the same way Lex did. However, Clark Kent was able to get to Clark Luthor in time to help inspire change in him whereas with Lex, Clark Kent was too late to pull him back from the dark side. I don't think this has anything to do with Clark Luthor's nature but I think it's again all about his nurture and his choice to pull back from the path of darkness.

I would also argue that Clark Luthor didn't have it as hard as Lex Luthor (in regular Earth 1) had it in terms of being raised. Lionel molded Clark Luthor in his own image, but unlike Lex, Clark gave in to Lionel's control. Lex tried to rebel against it and Lionel only made things worse for him by becoming his constant competitor. And due to the incident with Julian, Lionel always saw Lex as his adversary, his opponent. That did not happen with Clark Luthor, so again it was a difference in NURTURE that made Clark Luthor able to redeem, since his nurture wasn't AS harsh as Lex's.

Let's use another example: Lionel Luthor in Earth 1. He was raised by abusive parents whom he murdered and then went on to become an evil corporate tycoon/megalomaniac much like Lex. But Clark and Martha were able to inspire him to become a good man in his final years. For Lex though, it was too late. He didn't make the CHOICE to redeem the way that Lionel did.

Basically "SV" is saying anyone can choose to redeem but some people just don't want to be saved.

"Ignoring Lex's arc doesn't make sense but then again the writing on the show doesn't make sense a lot of times. Kelly and Brian weren't producers in the Al & Miles Lex Luthor era."

They weren't producers but they WERE some of the major writers during the Lex Luthor era. They put in just as much work as Al and Miles did for Lex's arc on the series, I would believe. Because as writers they constantly were creating and reshaping his arc and all the little details that made Lex who he is. I doubt they'd want to just erase their own work like that.

"Smallville was all about the why and how. Making Lex forget it is the exact opposite. If Lex does indeed end up evil again because of his skills and personality drove him to it...I think it would have been for the wrong reasons because he can't remember the actions behind the choices. He's being evil because he doesn't know any better. Literally."

But even if he doesn't remember why, the experiences and choices of his past still would influence who he is now. Another example is The Joker, who--especially in graphic novels like "The Killing Joke"--doesn't seem to remember his past completely but he still retains the emotions that made him who he is. Or again what about the example I mentioned with Ted Bundy?

"Smallville's been wrong before with it's science. I think the last time was regarding Conner and something to do with his aging. I think they chose the words because they sounded cool. Even if that wasn't the case they should have concentrated more on Tess' lines about the world not existing to him. Just make him forget the last few years of mostly offscreen death. Make him forget the finale of S7. That's it. Everything else could have remained. Lex's lines about forgetting memories to me meant that he didn't forget Clark's secret after Lex's rebirth. He obviously didn't remember it after the mind wipe so I see no reason to assume he'd obtain any of the other memories. The show didn't tell us. It gave us visual clues that fall flat given in what state Lex is. They have new meanings now. Perhaps evil but not the same evil that Lex was prior."
      First of all let me reiterate that I 100% agree with you that if he had to forget then at least it make it only up to a point instead of having him forget his entire life. But again I'm not arguing about the execution, merely what the intended meaning seems to be. The visual cues you mentioned etc. all seem to indicate that the writers were thinking Lex is still Lex but doesn't know why. They don't seem to indicate anything else. And even if the execution fell flat or didn't explain enough, it still seems to be the route they were going IMO.

----- Added 43 Minutes later -----

Sorry for the repost; for some reason it keeps posting my reply in the gray quote box, so the new stuff I'm writing actually looks like a quote instead of a new post. Quite annoying. Lemme try again...

" You raise up good points. "

Last edited by MozartRequiem; 02-14-2012, 02:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Even if Lex can't remember and has a clean slate, I believe he will fall into the wrong hands that will guide him. For example, those around him in his business and science projects aren't honest and are probably crooked because they were hand picked by him when he had memories. When he runs for president, those supporting him could be, for instance, the mafia and they use underhanded ways to get him elected and Lex goes for the ride and the dishonesty rubs off on him. Lex is destined to be bad and the path he takes will lead him to be Superman's nemises no matter what....Like I mentioned before, I'm glad he doesn't remember Clark is a super powered alien since Clark couldn't lead his normal life without looking over his shoulder. In fact, I'm glad Lex doesn't remember they were friends at one time since it would peek Lex' natural curiosity about Clark and he'd start to investigate him. It's better that Lex has his doubts about Superman instead of Clark and then Superman can face Lex head on and stop him from destroying the world. If anyone is thinking Lex will follow the paper trail or computer trail to remember, I'm sure with Tess' capabilities, she erased that as well...In closing, I believe the writers were right in erasing Lex' memories and it wasn't a waste of time to show Lex' life in Smallville because I, as the viewer, do remember, and Lex and Clark together helped make Smallville something special in the earlier years so it was will worth telling the story of their friendship even if Lex doesn't remember.

Comment

^ I can buy that his business associates would quickly re-lead him back to a life of crime having mafia and supervillain contacts etc. But it's a pity we can't see that stuff onscreen. It's an altogether new/different journey.

The whole reason Smallville got made was to see how Clark and Lex develope from friends to enemies. That and making Lex discover Clark's secret made Smallville feel original. It's one of the few and best times the show didn't take a disastorous route by deviating from the mythos. After ten years it feels like cheating and the characters still aren't that close to their comic book counterparts. They just kinda leave it open/vague for some reason.

Comment

^^I can't agree on the disasterous route. Even though the Clark and Lex friendship helped make Smallville interesting, I mostly watched to see Clark's journey which lasted the full ten seasons and I wasn't disappointed. I hate to sound like a broken record but Smallville was Clark Kent's journey before he became Superman with all that went into making him the world's greatest hero, good and bad.

Comment

Well a lot of people including me watched it for both Clark and Lex which was a clear focus. Lex who was in the first seven seasons. And just because the show is about Clark doesn't mean you have to wreck other characters in order to make him work. It's not a sign of good storytelling. They went so far to get Rosembaum back this was the best solution they could come up with? They should have left the character dead.

It's funny because before the finale (or was it before Prophecy) people were scared that Lois would get mind wiped. I'm 100% positive that they would be much more offended by that and it wouldn't be any different than what happened to Lex.

Comment

I don't know why they would mind wipe Lois. She wasn't a threat to Clark and they were married in the comics so I don't see any reason to split Lois and Clark up. Lex, on the other hand, doesn't know that Clark is a super powered alien in the comics that I know of and in the end shouldn't know Clark's secret so I can understand why he needed to forget what Clark was. I know that mind wipes aren't popular for any character that someone likes. Look when Chloe was mind wiped of Clark's secret and the outcry of Chloe fans. That didn't bother me either as Clark was trying to protect her but for some, there isn't any good reason to mind wipe a character and I can understand but in these two instances, I went with the flow.
                Last edited by SnowBird; 02-14-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

my revised theroy on the finale is they really wanted to book end the show smallville by showing that smallville Lex and smallville Clark are different then future Lex and future Clark and there last steps are shown to mirror eachother. let me break it down in three parts

First is they meet up with their finale enemys
                  With Clark: it was Darkseid in the appearence of smallvilles first villain and also a person that Clark did once save from darkness
                  With Lex: it was Tess a person he viewed once as a student then someone who betrayed him but she may have been the one person who could have really saved him from his darkness

Second is the flashbacks
                  With Clark: he wasn't able to take Darkseid as smallville Clark so he took a moment and had a mental conversation with Jor el like he did with Jonathan earlier and when he did that and saw all his super saves he finally accepted both sides of himself and it gave him the power of flight which I feel was him becoming future Clark and it was future Clark that banished Darkseid
                  With Lex: killing Tess was his finale step of evil since in essence he killed his finale chance for redemption but to have the memories would still make him smallville Lex so they were wiped and with his flashbacks it was what made Lex also I love that the last clip in the flashbacks was Lex looking right up at the camera and that faded into future Lex who I believe is at his core smallville Lex just with none of the baggage of his memories he then walks away from Tess who I feel represents his past and he walks to the window which I feel represents his future plus it feels like it shows him choosing curiosity over compassion seeing whats going on outside rather seeing if the woman is ok.

Third is them getting there tools for the future and also we got little glimps of their future selfs
                  With Clark: there's a lot more for Clark. it was him getting his suit and saving the world. I feel since that was more future Clark and Smallville was not about future Clark we don't see the full look of Superman then we get the last part of the finale which was kind of a glimps into the future Clark's world or the world of Superman and it was bridged by Chloe who was a part of Smallville but not a part of Superman
                  With Lex: we see the rise of Lexcorp from the ashes of Luthorcorp and we see his quick clip of being President

If you think to much of the Mind wipe it gets complicated but with this it gives smallville Lex a beginning and a end and it was his finale choice to kill Tess that leads to him to really become Future Lex which was the point of the show the journey to one point to the other and since it was the finale episode thats all they needed to show IMO
                  Last edited by the jester; 02-14-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

But even if that were to happen then the finale still got it wrong given that the world ended again. Lex should only become president IF PEOPLE LIKE CLARK AREN'T AROUND TO STOP HIM.
                    Maybe Lex becomes President in SVClark's absence (when he inevitably "dies" fighting Doomsday-Lite).

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
                      I don't know why they would mind wipe Lois. She wasn't a threat to Clark and they were married in the comics so I don't see any reason to split Lois and Clark up. Lex, on the other hand, doesn't know that Clark is a super powered alien in the comics that I know of and in the end shouldn't know Clark's secret so I can understand why he needed to forget what Clark was. I know that mind wipes aren't popular for any character that someone likes. Look when Chloe was mind wiped of Clark's secret and the outcry of Chloe fans. That didn't bother me either as Clark was trying to protect her but for some, there isn't any good reason to mind wipe a character and I can understand but in these two instances, I went with the flow.
                      Lex isn't that much of a bigger threat knowing Clark's secret. He said it himself in the finale. Clark was his enemy. If you don't believe it then have a look at S8. He knew Clark's secret and they were worried he was going to tell. And Lex could have. He even had footage of Chloe's wedding. But in the end Lex just wanted to make Clark feel loss one way or the other. It was personal, he wouldn't have anyone else do it (press, military, police etc.)

So in the finale instead of killing Tess, she'd run off to & hide to the Caribbean to continue her marine biology career etc. but with full accounts & info on Lex's criminal past. He won't release it as a last favor to a brother but that's it. She will send it the second she finds out that either Clark's secret is out or there's any physical harm done to his friends and family. Superman is out of the deal leaving him and Lex free to duel it out.

They could have done this but instead they had to reset Lex's character to make his character mythos-faithful destroying the character. If they were willing to do that to Lex they should have done that to Lois. Why? Because it's not mythos friendly and that's what SV was after apparentaly. Lois isn't supposed to know Clark's secret until his Superman. Since they aren't married seven years later she still shouldn't know given how Clark tells her just before they get married.

Chloe still retained her memories about Clark and the others. She only lost the memory regarding Clark using his powers. The memories were there, just tampered. That's not what happened to Lex. We saw those memories burn.

In Abyss Chloe does lose all her memories one by one. And her "instincts" that I've been reading about here leads her to Davis, not Clark or Jimmy. So maybe Lex wouldn't be drawn to a life of crime?
                      Last edited by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow; 02-15-2012, 04:16 AM.

Comment

^^Yes, Lex was Clark's enemy and knew just what to say to get his way by buttering Clark up and giving him props about how he was a hero that could save the world but that's because he needed him at that moment. I doubt Lex would have wanted to be a slave to Darkseid on his planet as Lex was in a good place on earth with his company and getting healed through clones. Yes, he needed Clark's powers to save the world and himself. Afterwards though with Lex' devious mind and knowing his secret, he could taunt Clark by threatening Lois, Martha and friends to get what he wanted from Clark like controlling him as a reporter to get in print what he wanted not to mention controlling Superman and, therefore, his powers. After all, that is one of the reasons Clark was leading a double life to protect his loved ones from being used by Lex and people like him. That double identity would just go out the window with Lex knowing Clark was Superman and he would have to give up Lois and his life as Clark Kent. As Superman with no ties or home, he was less vulnerable as you know. Tess knew what Lex was capable of or she wouldn't have given her life to protect Clark and ultimately make the world a better place since like Clark said, he would always stop Lex. That was no small thing she did. No, Lex should never again know Clark's secret and it was for the best that he had his memories wiped clean of Clark's secret, imo.

Comment

But with the example I gave Lex would be basically committing suicide had he revealed Clark's secret. Season 8 also showed that Lex wouldn't out Clark even considering his current state that season. I'm not saying my reason has to be THE reason but something similar that would have stopped Lex from harming Clark other than when he was openly acting out against his plans as Superman. Think of the situation more as like the Clark-Zod interaction in S9. Both sides can't beath the other completely without losing themselves.

For the Smallville comic I think it would make a really interesting story. I hope the new series does give Clark a formidable foe since as of now Lex is walking in with a major handicap. Don't want a repeat of Darkseid who was a lousy threat.

Comment

^^Right, and look at what Zod did, he used Lois and almost killed her to get what he wanted because he knew Clark/Blur loved Lois. Not good for the villain to know Clark's secret. Zod for sure had to go....Lex can cause all kinds of trouble in secret before Superman finds out. It will probably be at the last moments that SM can stop what he has planned. Lex can be in charge of a group of bad guys that will make Superman's job of saving people even harder and we will see the build up which is part of the enjoyment. Look at Lex in the comics. He doesn't know Clark is Superman and he is a formidable foe. In six months, Lex could have turned evil again for whatever reason after the mind wipe....Darkseid, like other major villains. were introduced to face Superman another day so they weren't at their worst. Have to save something for later...Let's hope we get a good Smallville comic in many ways with Clark/Superman, supporting characters and villains.

Comment

Again, if Tess or anyone else has enough leverage to make Lex forget the others and concentrate on Superman it doesn't matter. Lex's not suicidal and part of the drama would be for Lex to find new ways of bending the "rules" on how he can stage accidents etc. for Clark's loved ones but they'd always be foiled. Sure Lex knowing Clark's secret wouldn't make it easy but it would make watching/reading etc. Smallville a lot more exciting. It's not really a plot hole or something that needs to be fixed especially if the only solution to it is destroying Lex's character.

If the villains were lame the first time (Darkseid) nobody wants to see them return. Plus the Phantom Zone (and Zod) was destroyed before Clark became Superman.

Comment

I don't think Tess could stop Lex unless she knows his plans to control Clark/Superman ahead of time and she would have to be around and as of right now, she is dead. Wouldn't mind if she came back though and helped stop her pyscho brother in his evil plans. I don't think there is any distraction that would make Lex forget how he could get one up on Clark/Superman if he knew his secret. Lex is the bad guy here and could do series damage as a billionaire controlling baddies. Let's not give him an unfair advantage by knowing Clark is Superman....I wouldn't mind seeing major villains come back and Superman beat their butts again. He gets stronger as he ages, the villains get better and should be a great fight and like others have said, the skies the limit in a comic book for fights. Zod could come back, he did in the Superman movie from outer space.
                                Last edited by SnowBird; 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎