No announcement yet.

Series 7/Season 33/(insert your own alternative designation) News

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 7/Season 33/(insert your own alternative designation) News

New information regarding the next series has emerged courtesy of a Steven Moffat interview in Doctor Who Magazine and remarks at the press launch of "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe". There is a big spoiler from the pres launch that I will leave to the end (don't read further if you don't want to know).

1) Moffat is only planning on single episodes for the next series - no two parters. They are not ruled out - if a story develops to the point that it becomes a two-parter, he will let it become one. However, his view is that two parts are only needed if the story logically splits into two distinct sections that are best treated as two separate episodes. Otherwise, "...there is no story that cannot be told in 45 minutes." The other reasons against are that - despite what everybody thinks - if you study the figures, two-parters don't save money compared to two single episodes, but the second episode of a two-parter invariably shows a drop in ratings, audience Apprieciation Index (AI) and press interest - even if the second part is better.

2) Noting the reaction to the "Let's Kill Hitler" title reveal at the end od "A Good Man Goes to War", Moffat is promising "slutty titles" and "movie poster plots". Before anybody panics, this sounds to me like the Moff's reworking of RTD's "big cheeky headlines" manifesto combined with his previously-expressed view that if you have a great idea for a movie, that might just about be good enough for 45 minutes of Doctor Who. Apparently, Moffat's first episode (he is planning on writing five episodes of Series 7, although that may change) is called "[ Spoiler ] Of The [ Spolier ]" (DWM doesn't give the full title), and has something of a Die Hard feel.

3) Moffat is still talking about making more episodes than normal, and hinting at "big things" for the 50th anniversary.

4) River Song might return.

And finally (this is the biggie)...

5) Amy and Rory will finally leave the series permanently roughly midway through Series 7, and a "new friend" will join the Doctor in the TARDIS. The @bbcdoctorwho Twitter feed states that further information on this may be released tomorrow.

Thanx for this!!

Im actualy relieved to hear Amy and rory are going, as much as i love their characters the time has def come to move on,and would love to finally see the 11th Doctor's interaction with other sorta companions! Just read though here that their ending would be a heartbrakig one...hmmm intersting!

And great about River, guess one good thing is that now weve seen the rough outline of how her life goes theres the room for all those untold adventures in the miidle even for future Doctors too, which could be fun!!

Comment

Maybe River will be a companion too now that the Ponds are off?

Sad to see them go but I'm sure we will see them again sooner or later.

Counting down the days until the Christmas Special!

Comment

The BBC website has some FAQs about Doctor Who and one is about his regeneration limit. The answer says that 13 lives was the limit. However, now that his people r gone, who knows? That's what it says. Hmmmm wonder what that means.

Not only that but that ep of Sarah Jane Adventures implied he will go past 13 lives.

I think that the will let it be up to The Doctor himself to decide when he's ready to be done for good.

Comment

Let's not get into the regeneration 'debate' again. Of course there will be more than 13 Doctors.

Comment

Steven Moffat has promised that Doctor Who will return with “at least” 14 episodes from Autumn 2012.

“It will be returning in the Autumn – not exactly saying when – for a long run,” he told the Radio Times.

Asked about how many episodes we can expect, he teased: “I’ll just say it’s at least 14 episodes. Obviously we start in the Autumn so the Christmas special is part of the run.”

He was then asked if there were big plans for the 50th anniversary in 2013: “Oh dear god yes! I think honestly, saying this as a Doctor Who fan myself and knowing a certain amount of what’s coming, there will never be a better time to be a Doctor Who fan! I absolutely promise that!”

Comment

He also said in DWM a month or two ago that they were about to go into production for the longest period yet. So it does look like we're getting more than 14.

Comment

Darkhorizons.com reporting that Benedict Cumberbatch is most likely going to be The Master opposite Matt Smith's Doctor for the 50th anniversary.

So the guy plays Sherlock, is in Hobbit, and is the villain in the new Trek movie? Then he may play The Master?? When does he sleep?!?

Always wondered since The Master disappeared with the Timelords in "The End Of Time Part II" if he would come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
                  Darkhorizons.com reporting that Benedict Cumberbatch is most likely going to be The Master opposite Matt Smith's Doctor for the 50th anniversary.

So the guy plays Sherlock, is in Hobbit, and is the villain in the new Trek movie? Then he may play The Master?? When does he sleep?!?

Always wondered since The Master disappeared with the Timelords in "The End Of Time Part II" if he would come back.
                  This is just a rumour printed in the Daily Express, a British tabloid newspaper. Treat it as "wishful thinking" (or something made-up on a slow news day) until we get any hard evidence to back it up.

As for "hard news", Series 7 started filming last Monday (20th February) with the first production block (two episodes comprising two separate stories) to be directed by Saul Metzstein. Metsztein's resume is certainly eclectic enough for Doctor Who, as he previously directed Micro Men - a BBC comic drama/documentary about the rivalry between British personal computer pioneers Clive Snclair and Chris Curry - and was second unit director on the forthcoming Judge Dredd movie, Dredd. One confirmed guest star for this block is Mark Williams (star of The Fast Show, and Harry Potter's Arthur Weasley), who was involved on the first day of filming (fan rumours suggest that he might by playing Rory's dad). Other confirmed guest stars for the series are David Bradley (Harry Potter's Argus Finch) and Rupert Graves (Inspector Greg Lestrade in Sherlock).

It has been confirmed that Series 7 comprises 14 episodes (presumably including the Christmas special), and that there will be no two-parters. As filming is due to continue until December, it is probable that the series will start in late autumn/fall, with several episodes shown after Christmas - but nothing has been stated officially. Toby Whithouse (The God Complex) and Chris Chibnall (The Hungry Earth) are the first writers other than Steven Moffat to be confirmed for the Series 7, although Mark Gatiss and Torchwood's John Fay are rumoured to be contributing episodes. Chibnall's episode apparently features the largest set ever built for the series, whilst Whithouse has stated that his story is in a very different genre for him - and the series. Toby Whithouse has also stated that his episode is one of the last to feature Amy and Rory, and that he does know some details about the new companion, but doesn't know who may have been cast, nor will he reveal any of those details publicly (because Steven Moffat would kill him). Other than that, expect a "classic Who" enemy to return (several websites are suggesting the Zygons), Let's Kill Hitler style "slutty" titles...and River Song (possibly, if Alex Kingston isn't too busy).

Comment

If I am not mistaken, Moffat insinuated at Twitter that Sophia Myles (Reinette/Madame de Pompadour from The Girl in the Fireplace) will be returning. I wonder if that means she will resume that role, or play someone else (a descendant for example). I hope she is not going to be Reinette again, because it will take something off that tragic episode. It was perfect just as it was, and having her back alive and well, or even worse, as a companion would ruin it, IMO. But we will see. Maybe it will just be the Doctor's memories or an another alternate Universe? Who knows?

Comment

Are we going to see Amy's parents again? They were pretty cool and I really hope they come back, even if it is only one ep.

Comment

Well, it appears the new season will only start airing in November, in the United Kingdom. That makes almost a year without any new Doctor Who.

I wonder if River will be in the last episode with Amy and Rory. Honestly, I think she should be, but who knows? I also wonder if the fact that they will leave means that River is going to be leaving the story as well. I hope not, because I love River, but they might want to have her leave as well, or, in another words, go to the Library.
                        Last edited by liana; 03-07-2012, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Some interesting new rumours, apparently taken from this month's Doctor Who Magazine (so should be confirmed tomorrow)

The first production block consists of episodes 2 and 3. Episode 2 is written by Chris Chibnall, and guest stars Rupert Graves, David Bradley and Mark Williams - the last as "Brian Williams" (Rory's dad?). Episode 3 is written by Toby Whithouse, and is set in the Wild West (location filming is currently underway in Spain). The big news is that Ben Browder - star of Farscape and Stargate: SG1 - will be guesting in this episode.

It's going to be a long wait...

Comment

Sorry, I've been without a computer and therefore living under a rock for the past week or so, so I may be slightly late in saying this but I'll say it anyway:

Mark Williams as Rory's dad would be the absolute best thing ever in the history of the world. Unless, of course, one of his lines is "I'll get me coat". Then that would be the absolute best thing in the history of the world.

Comment

BBC America was airing ads earlier in the yr about 2012 being the yr The Doctor returns.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎