No announcement yet.

Smallville/Roswell connection?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallville/Roswell connection?

Don't get me wrong. I love Smallville. In fact, it's my favorite show. Although since I've started watching Roswell, I've noticed a lot of similarities which makes me think that the producers were really big fans of Roswell. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I think it is kind of interesting. There are quite a few differences as well.

For those that aren't aware of Roswell, it's a show about a group of aliens that have lived in a small town. It aired from about 1999-2002. Here are a few of the similarities that I found worth mentioning:

The most obvious being that both shows are named after the town in which the series takes place. Both shows take place in a small town and involve aliens. The crashdown is kind of similar to the meteor shower. Both brought Clark (Smallville) and the Royal Four (Roswell) to Earth. While a lot of that can actually be credited to the Superman mythos, the overall feel is similar.

In addition, both shows have the involvement of an indian tribe who have been previously visited by aliens. The way Max Evans is effected by alcohol bares a striking resemblence to Clark on Red Kryptonite. Both shows also have an episode which involves a series of flashbacks which portray the main actor in an earlier setting that expands on the mythos of the series. The Talon is also kinda similar to the Crashdown Cafe. The Granilith is kind of similar to the caves.

The Clark and Lana relationship does seem to paralel the Max and Liz relationship a little too. There always seems to be things keeping them apart. Also, the secrets and lies aspect with everyone trying to find out the big secret. Sherrif Velenti(sp?) in the first season reminded me quite a bit of the way Lionel would always show up places uninvited. Both shows started with the main love interest dating a football jock Kyle/Whitney. Both shows also had a scene at the end of the episodes that involved someone going to visit a sick parent in the mental hospital. Velenti with his father and Chloe with her mother.

There is probably other stuff too. They might seem minor and the writers usually took them in different directions, but I'm sure at least some of the stuff in Smallville was influenced by Roswell. Mostly stuff from the earlier seasons of course.

I think Smallville was a mix of Dawson's Creek and Roswell. The episode commentaries with Al & Miles said they were also influenced by the X-Files and that it showed with some of their freaks of the week.

And the cycle goes on as Merlin has the same premise and tone as Smallville had. Also I noticed quite a lot of similarities with SV's Pilot and the first episode of TVD.

Comment

Spartacus also kinda has the same tone as Smallville that Merlin has taken on. The first "Blood and Sand" season in very much about the iconic character before he escapes his career as a gladiator and becomes the more well-known incarnation of himself during the rebellion against Rome. As if that weren't enough, the second "Gods of the Arena" season (though this was done mainly for the benefit of Andy Whitfield's health) went even further back as a prequel story that leads into the first produced season and kinda the upcoming one as well. Then we could discuss the recent prequel movies in the live-action X-Men franchise, First Class and Origins: Wolverine share quite a few similar traits.

Comment

Originally posted by SSJConan
        Then we could discuss the recent prequel movies in the live-action X-Men franchise, First Class and Origins: Wolverine share quite a few similar traits.
        Wow, really? I thought those two were like night and day.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
          I think Smallville was a mix of Dawson's Creek and Roswell.
          Well, all three were on The WB. No doubt the network were probably trying to follow a formula of sorts*.

Seriously, there was a time, when I felt that Katie Holmes, Shiri Appleby and Kristin Kreuk resembled each other to an extent.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎