Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not Chloe?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes but Clark never hid a serial killer in his basement... but that's neither hear nor there.

And from what I know there isn't always a reason for everything, things are quiet reasonless in real life at times.

But hey if you want to go Meta here is the reasons as I understand them: The creator of Smallville wanted it to end matching up as best they could with the comics, and the DCU is well known for Lois and Clark being their big couple. The creators were also big Clana fans. They unabashedly loved the writing that relationship. Having Clark date or be with Chloe would require them breaking up, so the thought seemed to be, why go there if in the end you have to back track? Why throw something that would break up the Clark/Chloe friend dynamic like that? Plus AM was not a big fan of having Chloe's whole life circling Clark, at the end of season 5 she was asked what she would like for Chloe and she said for her to get a boyfriend, who was not Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagenspear
      But what's the reason for that? There's always a reason for everything. What's the reason for this?
      My opinion is that Chloe's character was initially outlined this way, the girl with the crush, always the BFF, never the GF, quite the stereotype, IMO. They gave her Jimmy in season 6, but she still remained somehow attached to Clark, what always ruined the relationship. In season 9 TPTB realized they needed to take drastic meassures to end the codependance between characters and practically made her Clark's stalker. Both Chloe and Clark grew from this little crisis, she finally moved on and they gave her a boyfriend so she would end the show on a happy note. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
        Yes but Clark never hid a serial killer in his basement... but that's neither hear nor there.
        Yeah, but he was with Lana. Just as bad. If not worse.
        And from what I know there isn't always a reason for everything, things are quiet reasonless in real life at times.

But hey if you want to go Meta here is the reasons as I understand them: The creator of Smallville wanted it to end matching up as best they could with the comics, and the DCU is well known for Lois and Clark being their big couple. The creators were also big Clana fans. They unabashedly loved the writing that relationship. Having Clark date or be with Chloe would require them breaking up, so the thought seemed to be, why go there if in the end you have to back track? Why throw something that would break up the Clark/Chloe friend dynamic like that? Plus AM was not a big fan of having Chloe's whole life circling Clark, at the end of season 5 she was asked what she would like for Chloe and she said for her to get a boyfriend, who was not Clark.
        Is that in an interview or something? Or, are you just throwing out possible scenarios?
        Last edited by Dagenspear; 10-31-2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but he was with Lana. Just as bad. If not worse.

Is that in an interview or something? Or, are you just throwing out possible scenarios?
          That is from my compositing of every interview I've ever read and reading between the lines of them. If you feel it is just my opinion I guess you can ignore it but it was pretty obvious to me that the creators loved Clana and every interview they ever gave said they wanted to end to match up with the Mythos so... there you have it. The statement on AM's opinion comes from interviews with her as well. If you want me to sight sources, I'm sorry I can't, this is 5 years of interview reading I am remembering and I didn't keep links on the subject laying about.

As to Lana, I will say that IMNHO nothing is worse than Davis. NOTHING in the entire Smallville world is worse than Davis Bloom.
          Last edited by borednow; 11-02-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

That is from my compositing of every interview I've ever read and reading between the lines of them. If you feel it is just my opinion I guess you can ignore it but it was pretty obvious to me that the creators loved Clana and every interview they ever gave said they wanted to end to match up with the Mythos so... there you have it. The statement on AM's opinion comes from interviews with her as well. If you want me to sight sources, I'm sorry I can't, this is 5 years of interview reading I am remembering and I didn't keep links on the subject laying about.

As to Lana, I will say that IMNHO nothing is worse than Davis. NOTHING in the entire Smallville world is worse than Davis Bloom.
            I was asking a legitimate question regarding the AM interview, and was actually asking if that was a theory of why you thought Chlark never happened, or if it was something you read. Wasn't trying to attack.

As for Lana, I was just joking. Lol. Try to not be so serious.

As far as hiding Davis goes though, I'll say that I can't really think of any other option Chloe could've had in that situation. I mean, she either gives Davis up, and risks Clark being killed or keeps him hidden.

I will say, regarding the Chlark thing, that if the writers were NEVER going to even take a crack at it, then they really should've just given it up after S5. I honestly don't understand or see why they didn't. All the teasing they did to the shippers, ESPECIALLY in S8 REALLY PISSED ME OFF.

Comment

Personally I didn't see any shipper bones in season 8... but I saw a lot in 6 and 7 and personally I agree since they didn't want to go Chlark they should have cut that the heck out... Shipper bones to Clois though frustrating to me as a shipper were at lest forgiveable as "Foreshadowing" but teasing is generally lame to me...

Comment

Why not Chloe? Because although Clark loved her, he was was never in love with her. That's good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin
                  Why not Chloe? Because although Clark loved her, he was was never in love with her. That's good enough for me.
                  WHY wasn't he in love with her though?

Comment

WHY wasn't he in love with her though?
                    Because love is not something you rationalize. In fact, no one decides whom he/she is going to fall in love with. Either you are in love, or you are not. I think that, from the rational point of view, Chloe has always been the safe option for Clark. The one he would want to fall in love with, if it was up to him to decide whom he would fall in love with. But the very fact that he couldn't, and that he fell in love with someone that he never even dreamed of loving makes it much more realistic.

Because in real life, you don't get to choose whom you fall in love with. You don't just wake up and say: "Life would be easier if I just loved this person", and BANG, you are in love. That is not how it works, and in a way, by showing us that Clark SHOULD fall in love with Chloe, and yet he just couldn't is much more realistic than it would be if he just decided to fall in love with her and just did.

Comment

1) Do I think that Chlark should've happened? Yes. They either could've done it in the first half of S2 or they could've done it in S6 after Vessel.

2) But Chloe is the reason why it never happened. In both cases, Clark put himself out there after Chloe expressed interest. In Vortex he asks her out to make it up to her for having to leave the dance and in Zod he comments how they shared a moment (which she initiated). Yet both times, Chloe is the one who back pedals. What drives me nuts is that she goes on and on about Clark's lack of emotional intimacy and how he would run away again in the Fever letter. But she is the one who pulled the friend's card, made up a guy in Heat, and brushed things off after the Vessel kiss.

So as much as Chlark fans like to make Clark out to be the bad guy for never seeing what was right in front of him, he gave Chloe multiple chances to progress past friendship and she shot it down.

Comment

I think they could had given Chloe and Clark a chance... maybe in season 2. Having Chloe and Clark date doesn't mean that Clark couldn't hook up with Lana later on. Espeically if the TV show truly explored all the nuances of why Chloe and Clark made better friends than they did as girlfriend and boyfriend. And then had both Chloe and Clark realize that they were just better off as friends than as lovers.
                        As I said in another thread:
                        Yeah, I agree on the Chloe front. Plus it's not like dating Chloe would automatically cut Clark off from any future with Lana as his girlfriend. The way they did it, they should had Clark do something to the effect of shrugging his shoulders when he sees that Lana is with Whitney/Jason/etc and start dating other women. Even if he does have a crush on Lana.

Season 1-2 could had Clark dating Chloe and then the two of them realizing that they made for better friends than as a girlfriend or boyfriend. Things could be awkward between them afterwards for a few eps, but then they'd get over it. Clark could even find the fact that Chloe's a huge supernatural fan to be a little off-putting. Because you know Chloe, she does have a tendency to go overboard with being a Supernatural fan. Even the Wall of Weird looks way out there sometimes.

Season 3-4 could have Clark dating Alica, and have Alica be more toned down so that she wasn't such a Yandare. There was also Kyla... the two of them would be a good way for Clark to get a taste of what it's like to date others who have powers too. He would find that dating a superpowered person had it's cons and pros. and while he found it refreshing to be able to share who he really was with them, he might realize that they just don't mesh that well together personality-wise.

Season five--Basically the season where he finally started a real relationship with Lana Lang. So nothing would change here on this front.

I think Season 6 is when Zod arrived, etc. That would be a good way to cause Lana to break up with Clark. After all think about it... It was this season that Lana started to have Xenophobic tendencies, especially after seeing how much damage a single evil Kryptonian could do. Lana doesn't really know everything about Clark, but she does have her suspicions about him. And so seeing what zod could do, she starts to fear and mistrust Clark. She doesn't tell anybody about her fears and suspicions, because she still loves him. But she just wants to feel safe and lead a happy normal life with the man of her dreams... and she doesn't think that Clark can provide that.
                        Later on we could have maybe a scene where Lana realizes that Clark wasn't like that at all... and that she might had made a big mistake in leaving him. But by then it would be too late for her because...

Season 7-10 is where he starts the transition to Metropolis, and also starts to have a relationship with Lois Lane.

It would be a good way to shape Clark's experiences and preferences in women, if you think about it. This pattern has an logical outcome where he's exploring what kind of woman would be right for him. He learned that he didn't want somebody who might be in love with his powers instead of the real him (Chloe). He also learned that just because somebody has superpowers like him, doesn't mean that they're automatically a perfect match (Kyla and Alica).
                        And that not every normal human being is truly equipped to deal with the things he has to do everyday... (Lana Lang).

So then when he finally meets Lois Lane:
                        He found somebody who could love him the way he was, and not just because he was superman. Their personalities mesh well... and most importantly, She's far more tough and harder to faze than Lana Lang so she's not that easy to scare away.

I think that kind of narrative could had worked so great on the romance side of Smallville, and fits in with watching how Clark Kent became the Superman we knew and love.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                          I think they could had given Chloe and Clark a chance... maybe in season 2. Having Chloe and Clark date doesn't mean that Clark couldn't hook up with Lana later on. Espeically if the TV show truly explored all the nuances of why Chloe and Clark made better friends than they did as girlfriend and boyfriend. And then had both Chloe and Clark realize that they were just better off as friends than as lovers.
                          As I said in another thread:
                          It's probably some Clark-pureness-conservation-factor that's at work there. Just consider all the flack Lois has gotten for the audacity of having three different boyfriends in her seven years on the show.

You have other teen drama shows (Gossip Girl comes to mind, but Veronica Mars wasn't that different in this department) where any given m/f character had three totally different and totally serious relationships over the course of a single season. One probably doesn't notice it during the original airing but upon rewatch it becomes starkly obvious.

Smallville on the other hand basically stayed away from that trope, the only real exception being Lana who constantly had to be in a relationship to keep the Clana drama afloat.

While Chloe may have slept with Jimmy between seasons one and two (and we only get this information during the fourth season PSA episode Unsafe) her first serious relationship is with Jimmy in S6. Clark has dated here and there (mostly Lana) but his first real relationship is also only in season 5 where we get confirmed "pureness" from both Lana and Clark.

It's basically the men outside the Kent family that are the "sluts" on the show. Lionel has an established history, Lex got married thrice and had a lot more side fling and unlike Batman, Oliver isn't just playing the playboy until he meets Lois (and even his relationships with both Lois and Chloe start out more as a fling than anything serious).

That's my guess on why Clark was never allowed to have a serious relationship with Chloe from an RL point of view.

It would also explain why Martha had to drastically overreact in Unsafe compared to what Clark did in Metropolis in between S2/3.
                          Last edited by DJ Doena; 10-07-2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

You're probably right on the Clark pureness front.

Just consider all the flack Lois has gotten for the audacity of having three different boyfriends in her seven years on the show.
                            I don't think the issue was that Lois Lane had three boyfriends. I think the issue was the fact that the writers basically had her jump into bed with the next guy when it was barely less than a week since she broke up with the last boyfriend, etc. Add in the fact that one of her love interests were the boss of the daily planet while she was working there.....

It would had been accepted more if Lois Lane were basically single for a entire month in-universe before moving on to the next guy. But hooking up with another guy in less than a week after she broke up with Oliver, etc? It sorta shows that she never had any serious feelings for Oliver, despite past episodes.
                            I also get the feeling that the writers hated Lois because she stood in the way of the Clana drama they were so fond of, and they often went out of their way to make her look bad as possible without destroying her canon character. Why else did they seem to make fun of her in episodes like sneeze?

Comment

I will openly admit to having been a "Chlark" shipper, when the series originally aired...especially in the first three seasons. But once they introduced Lois in "Crusade", I couldn't help but adore Erica's portrayal. She and the writers gave that version of the character a ton of heart and humor, mixed with occasional bravery like helping Clark look for Chloe in "Gone", or carrying a gun in "Odyssey". Regarding her sexual habits, that's something I objected to with virtually every character on the show...and when they had Clark join the club, I was pissed. The constant melodrama and "sleaze factor" practically screamed "soap opera", and that's not what I ever wanted from "Smallville". I'm thankful they (eventually) dialed it back down a bit, though some moments still irked me...like actually seeing Lana in bed with Lex during "Fracture", or Lois' stripper routine in "Exposed".

But getting back to Chloe, I recall wondering much of the time, who she'd end up with as the years went by. When they had her marry Jimmy Olsen, I cheered because it seemed so perfect. Then, they had to go and wreck it with Davis killing him...a plot point even Sam Witwer confessed to hating. It was literally done to force the show's narrative closer to the comics, which never seemed like much of a priority the first eight years of the show. Along with Lex's mind-wipe in the finale, Jimmy's death and subsequent renaming ranks among one of the show's worst character moments. I wanted Clark to bring him back, when Chloe begged him to...in spite of all the worries from another "Reckoning" scenario. They could've written it so Jimmy was saved, and Davis died by someone else's hand (maybe Oliver's or Tess').

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                                I don't think the issue was that Lois Lane had three boyfriends. I think the issue was the fact that the writers basically had her jump into bed with the next guy when it was barely less than a week since she broke up with the last boyfriend, etc. Add in the fact that one of her love interests were the boss of the daily planet while she was working there.....

It would had been accepted more if Lois Lane were basically single for a entire month in-universe before moving on to the next guy. But hooking up with another guy in less than a week after she broke up with Oliver, etc? It sorta shows that she never had any serious feelings for Oliver, despite past episodes.
                                Lois went on one date with MF Tim Wescott (and even was coerced to do so) in 4x12 Pariah, then one date with AC in 5x04 Aqua, then one date with MF Graham Garrett in 5x20 Fade.

She then started dating Ollie in 6x03 Wither and he(!) broke it off in 6x11 Justice.

In that episode she said "I mean, is it just me or is this relationship all interuptus and no coitus" implying that she had not slept with Oliver.

She then started dating Grant/Julian in between 7x07 Wrath and 7x08 Blue which was ended by him(!) in 7x09 Gemini. I don't know if it was ever implied that she actually slept with him (I try to avoid S7 as much as possible).

In 7x11 Siren she slapped Oliver when she learned he was back in town and decided not to get back together when she learned that he 'has a higher calling'.

Here she somewhat contradicts her previous statement by saying "So, in all those nights together somewhere between brushing teeth and spooning in the sheets [...]" which would imply that they actually slept together.

I guess that's Smallville consistency...

After that she may or may not have gone to a couple of dates (as implied in 8x17 Hex) but she only started dating again in 9x06 Crossfire.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎