Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the Smallville comic book real ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just hope we will be able to get a copy of that comic book.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
      I just hope we will be able to get a copy of that comic book.
      Ditto to that.

The art was great, would love a souvenir.

Comment

Yeah the artwork was fantastic. Not only that but it was very reasonably priced. I would buy it. That is fantastic value for money. All that and it reveals the secret identity of Superman as well!

Comment

What if it was like a JLA special release thing? Like, the JLA superheros where all siting around one day, drinking coffee, comparing saves, when one of them was like "What if they made comics about us?" And their comic book connection was hanging out with them that day and said "Lol, Clark, I am doing one on your life. Because it would be epic." So, for their company Christmas presents that year, they all got the Smallville comic.

Or not. But I do think it would be funny.

Maybe we're just meant to not think too much into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eckyboy
            Yeah the artwork was fantastic. Not only that but it was very reasonably priced. I would buy it. That is fantastic value for money. All that and it reveals the secret identity of Superman as well!
            The comic was priced at $2.99. That's the going price in 2011. Imagine how much a comic book would cost in 2018. This is a blooper in Finale along with Lex winning the Presidental election in 2018 when in all actually that would never happen in any comic book universe. The next election would have been 2016 & 2020.

Comment

Don't know and don't care.
              The whole Chloe and the comic sement had me scratching my head.
              Maybe it was a way to give Chloe a great series send off by having her be the one to call Clark, Superman.

Comment

Originally posted by supercatmom
                Don't know and don't care.
                The whole Chloe and the comic sement had me scratching my head.
                Maybe it was a way to give Chloe a great series send off by having her be the one to call Clark, Superman.
                It was said that they gave Chloe the unique privilege of calling him Superman, but they could have managed to do it in a sensible way without the comic book.

Comment

^ I think her saving Clark from the gold k was enough. Lois should have named Clark Superman on the Air Force One talking to a camera feeding it live. That way the average joes and janes would get that it's a new hero, not the Blur who's saving them from a planet.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                    ^ I think her saving Clark from the gold k was enough. Lois should have named Clark Superman on the Air Force One talking to a camera feeding it live. That way the average joes and janes would get that it's a new hero, not the Blur who's saving them from a planet.
                    I agree with you. As much as I liked Chloe (season 8 aside), I think Lois should have named him.

Comment

I never really thought too much about the comic. After awhile, my theory was that some spell was placed on it by Zatanna where once u finished the book or got to a certain point, u forgot Clark was Superman. Either that or maybe it was just a special book Oliver had made for Chloe and the kid.

Comment

^ It would have been good to get some answers for it. But even still, if Oliver and Chloe would be careless enough to tell their kid that Clark Kent is Superman they certainly wouldn't put it in anything concrete like that.

The writers need for a homage to Superman: The Movie and a cute scene shows they really don't know nothing about superheroes or don't care.

Comment

I think the writers were trying to go for an "artsy" draw your own conclusions ending. The less you think about it the better off you are

Comment

Well they weren't writing the finale for the Sopranos. They were writing a finale to something they already knew how it would end. And it's not like Smallville did it's own thing that doesn't fit right with the comic book fans (myself included). It's stuff like having Jonathan back from the dead...and not explain it. No matter how beautiful that fortress scene was there was this constant voice in my head saying this is stupid just because they didn't give a damn on how to write a character back and expect me to care anyways.

Same thing happened with the comic, with the Superman reveal to the audience (both us the viewers and anyone looking in the sky). If the show doesn't care to give us answers then the episode makes me disconnect from it no matter how many fangasm moments they threw at us. It's cheap and lame.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                              Well they weren't writing the finale for the Sopranos. They were writing a finale to something they already knew how it would end. And it's not like Smallville did it's own thing that doesn't fit right with the comic book fans (myself included). It's stuff like having Jonathan back from the dead...and not explain it. No matter how beautiful that fortress scene was there was this constant voice in my head saying this is stupid just because they didn't give a damn on how to write a character back and expect me to care anyways.

Same thing happened with the comic, with the Superman reveal to the audience (both us the viewers and anyone looking in the sky). If the show doesn't care to give us answers then the episode makes me disconnect from it no matter how many fangasm moments they threw at us. It's cheap and lame.
                              I agree with you. There were better ways to give homage to Superman: The Movie, but the comic book read by a character within the story is stupid beyond belief. I can almost let the Jonathan Kent absurdity go because it was such a great scene and one can justify (with a stretch) that Jor-El made a holographic representation of Jonathan so he can hand Clark the suit. Looking back, the fortress scene was the only one where anybody had direct interaction with Jonathan; in the other scenes, he was just an invisible spirit watching.

I wish TPTB redirected their comic book effort to make believable CGI images of Clark/Superman in the full suit. Knowing that TW was unwilling (unWelling?) to wear the suit, they could have at least given us good CGI.

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Supsfan
                              I think the writers were trying to go for an "artsy" draw your own conclusions ending. The less you think about it the better off you are.
                              That is so true!! Since good story telling is not defined by "the less you think about it, the better off you are," it's pretty clear why so many fans were disappointed. I don't think the Finale is going to win any awards for writing or creativity.
                              Last edited by Blue85; 10-30-2011, 01:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

This is one reason I wish the Finale had a commentary track. If it had, they would've given an explaination for it.

Decided to give this some thought and the answer is: it's not a real comic book. Rather it's a fake that Chloe's had made (things like the price tag is added, to make it look more authentic), so she can tell her son about this part of her life, without running the risk of the boy telling his friends at school that Clark Kent is Superman. You know, Oliver's got a public identity, so he can tell the kid just about anything (only having to hold back some folks real names). Chloe, on the other hand, wouldn't be able to tell the boy directly about all of the adventures she's had with the Man of Steel, how she served as his side-kick and went to school with him. As this could lead to the boy figuring out Superman's identity and telling someone. So, instead, Chloe chooses to print fake comic books, about said adventures (possibly with changed names), that she can read to her son. Thus, presenting them to the boy as fiction, rather than the truth. It's possible that there exists real Superman comics, in this universe, which deals with fictional Superman adventures. Something that Superman has allowed a comic book company to do, while giving his share of the profits to charity (because he's Superman). So, the kid doesn't think anything off the comics, that his mom reads to him.

There have been other movies and TV shows, where something is presented as fiction and is then revealed to have been the truth. You have the film Spy Kids, where Carla Gugino's character tells her kids a bedtime story, which is then revealed to have been based on her own life. You have Once Upon a Time, where Henry reads a story book and realizes that the characters in the book are the people in the town.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎