View Poll Results: Which is the best era of Smallville?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seasons 1-3

52 37.14%
  • Seasons 4-7

18 12.86%
  • Seasons 8-10

70 50.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I think S8-10 had to happen. Setting aside story arcs/ships of the rest of the cast for the moment, Clark needed to go through the challenges he faced in 8-10 so that he could achieve his destiny.

"Best" could be so many things. Best for Clark's destiny? It would have to go to S8-10 because it got him to that finale where he could stand off against Lex and be credible doing that.

Best era in terms of entertainment? I'd still go with S4-7, setting aside Clark's (frustrating) destiny foot-dragging during this period.

If the writing had been more consistent over the seasons (S1-3 being generally weaker, IMHO), Clark and Lex's opposing destinies could/should have converged sooner, as in less than 10 seasons.

I think seasons 1-3 were the best written of the series. Seasons 8-10 needed to happen to fix the mess that 4-7 made, but in retrospect, it could've been so much better. Had season 8 not gone through the David/Chloe arc and really, had season 9 been the final season, it would've went out on a bang instead of the whimper that 10 was imo.

Seasons 1-3 will always be the peak of the show for me.

Seasons 1-3 really do it for me. 4-8 were really quite dark and parts of it were really slow. 9-10 were okay, just subpar.

Double post.
    Last edited by X Aethryos X; 03-22-2013 at 06:02 PM.

I'd say seasons 4 5 and 6 were the best seasons from the original show runners. 4 for introducing Lois and establishing a great basis for her and Clark's relationship, 5 for really expanding the scope of the show especially with the finale and 6 for being one of the few seasons to clear arc from the beginning to end and the most cohesive conclusion in terms of tying all the plot threads together. As for the show runners who took over I'd say the first half of season 8 and season 9 were the most evocative of the superman mythos.

Settling In
    Seasons 1-4. I liked the high school years the best. I'm currently finishing up season 3.

If I hard to choose a group of seasons one after the other seasons 1 to 5 I suppose would be the best of a group of season together. Those were the seasons the show was really about Smallville everything after that was CW and Warner Bros beating a dead horse.

I enjoyed the period between Seasons 4-8 the best.

Right now I'm halfway through season 7 on my re-watch of the series.

Seasons 1-3 are still the best. 4 wasn't that great overall but it had some pretty awesome moments. The first half of 5 was the best ever and the second half wasn't all that great. 6 & 7 has it's moments and good episodes but I don't really like the direction these seasons went in.

So the best era is definitely 1-3, the early years, but the first half of 5 was the best ever.

As for seasons 8-10, those had some fantastic moments but also it's horrendous moments.

New In Town
    Seasons 8-10 despite the fact that I loathe most of season 8

Seasons 1-3, hands down, but I would've also added the fourth one as well even if there are some things I would've changed. Smallville is supposed to be Clark becoming the man from the comics. What season eight and beyond did is just garbage and rips out Smallville's soul from the beginning. The whole no suit and no flight is thrown out of the window even with the hints of flight and the Neo-like black suit and the "upgrade" later on. I think, if anything, Smallville should've ended mid-college where Clark discovered a purpose in life, letting the audience think of what would happen next and not bastardize his more famous villains.
    Last edited by Anno_Domini; 09-17-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Forum Regular
    Seasons 1-3. There were very few continuity issues and glaring plot holes. The narrative mas for the most part tight and logical. Character development made sense. Clark was proactive and funny. Lex and Lionel were complex characters, and their relationship was fascinating to watch. Clark's relationship with Martha and Jonathan was pretty much the heart of the show. Clark/Lex friendship was one of the most original and well-rendered things on this show. As enemies, they weren't nearly as compelling. Clark/Chloe/Pete trio was adorable, and it was nice that Clark had several really close friends. No matter how much Clana angst season 3 contained, it didn't come close to what we had to suffer through in later seasons.

Smallville was never a great show, but the closest it came to being a good show was in seasons 1-3, IMO. Unfortunately, instead of building up on that potential, the writers chose to squander it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennsen View Post
    Seasons 1-3. There were very few continuity issues and glaring plot holes.
    It's easy not to have any major continuity issues early one since you didn't have as big a history to go up against as later seasons but in terms of plot holes S1-3 was bad as any other season

1. 14 year olds in Season 1 doing stuff they can't do till they 16(ie driving, there is also other things it really doesn't make sense 14 year olds are doing)

2. We are to assume there is a decent amount of time between Ryan and Exodus, but we don't notice any difference to Martha and her pregnancy

3. What Clark did in Exile would be the subject of national attention and an investigation at the highest departments in national security

Those 3 instantly come to mind but here is a few more I found online

http://www.moviemistakes.com/tv3676/plothole

Skinwalker - S2-E10

Plot hole: Chloe says the coroner found teeth marks on the foreman's bones. During the attack, at the beginning of the episode, the foreman only got a couple of scratches on his face and the rest of his clothes were perfectly fine and hadn't, in any way, been torn up. It would have taken the wolf tearing through the clothes, through the skin and, finally, through the muscle to leave any teeth marks on the foreman's bones and that did not happen.

Perry - S3-E5
    Plot hole: How did Perry manage to tie himself to the barrier without Lana noticing?

Fever - S2-E16
    Plot hole: When Jonathan breaks into the military compound, how did Clark get there in that short a time, seeing as Jonathan drove and Clark is without his superpowers?

Pilot - S1-E1
    Plot hole: After Chloe shows Clark the Wall of Weird, Clark is confronted by Whitney outside. Whitney is wearing Lana's meteor rock (kryptonite) necklace but Clark actually feels no effects until he ends up opening Whitney's shirt.

Hereafter - S3-E12
    Plot hole: During Clark's rescuing Lana from the fire in the basement, Clark wakes Lana just before he is grabbed by the coach. Clark then tosses the coach all the way across the room and into a wall. Lana makes no mention of how Clark could toss a full grown man across a room like that even though it happens right in front of her face.

Ryan - S2-E8
    Plot hole: Mayor Tate and Lex have a discussion about bribes and Tate says this is his 4th term. In last season's episode "Crush", Pete gets a job as a summer intern on Mayor Spiegel's re-election campaign. So how is it possible for Tate to have been on his 4th term when in the previous year Spiegel was Mayor?

Cool - S1-E5
    Plot hole: Chloe writes her phone number on Sean's hand. It disappears when we see him struggling against the ice of the lake, then reappears in the scene where he is calling old girlfriends. And how exactly would pen ink survive several hours submerged in water and then another eight hours of normal activity without becoming blurred?

Exile (1) - S3-E1
    Plot hole: After Chloe and Lionel's discussion we see the Naman and Segeth glyph. This glyph is colored in black and white unlike it was in Season 1 episode Skinwalkers.

Phoenix (2) - S3-E2
    Plot hole: When Edge needs the vial of Clark's blood back, Edge holds Clark's parents hostage. Clark decides to use a sharp piece of kryptonite rock to cut his skin and give Edge a new sample. When Clark picks it up, and when he places the kryptonite rock on his skin, he shows no sign of the usual effects of the rock which include the green lines radiating up his arms.

Vortex (2) - S2-E1
    Plot hole: When Nixon and Jonathan are trapped in the crypt after the landslide, Nixon says he can't breathe, and Jonathan says this is because the landslide cut off the air supply. However, we can see beams of sunlight shining in. So, unless the ceiling of the crypt is made of airtight glass, that landslide didn't cut off the entire air supply.

Hothead - S1-E3
    Plot hole: Why does the principal leave so calmly when Coach Walt starts a fire in his office? He doesn't even bother to call 911, he just walks out to his car and tries to drive away.

Magnetic - S3-E7
    Plot hole: When Lana is in jail, Clark tells her "Sheriff Adams knows you didn't steal the car and Lex has a lawyer working on the other charges." The police got involved after Lex called them because she stole the till from the Talon. Since Lex is the owner of the Talon, wouldn't it be a lot simpler for Lex to just DROP the charges rather than have a lawyer "work on" them?

Covenant (2) - S3-E22
    Plot hole: When Kara realizes that Agent Loder is listening in on the conversation, she runs out to his car to stop him. She has Clark's ability of super speed which she uses to get over to Loder's car. As she runs she ends up running through a wooden fence and you can see, through the motion blur of her movement, she neither jumps over the fence or goes around it yet the fence never gets damaged from her running through it.

Forum Regular
    I think you and I have a different understanding of what a plothole is. What you listed are the examples of bad writing. I never said the first three seasons were particularly well-written. I never even called them a good show - that's because I don't consider SV to be a good show as a whole. When I say plotholes, I mean huge, glaring things, like ignoring some of the most important parts of the show's backstory, changing the characters' motivations without caring whetehr it's going to align with their previous actions and behavior, and retconning the hell ouf of the earlier seasons without any real neccessity to do so. Like, would you seriously compare the ink on Chloe's hand or the color of the Naman and Segeeth glyph to huge inconsistencies like Veritas or the history of Chloe's mother? The only thing that seriously bothered me was the lack of consequences for what Clark did in Exile, and for Chloe-Lana fight in Delete, but the whole ignoring the consequences thing was raised to an art form in later seasons. That Smallville lasted for 10 seasons is no excuse for having such a poor sense of continuity. It was the writers' job to make the show a coherent whole, and they failed miserably.

That said, I came to this thread to express my opinion, not to debate.
    Last edited by Jennsen; 12-19-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennsen View Post
    The only thing that seriously bothered me was the lack of consequences for what Clark did in Exile, and for Chloe-Lana fight in Delete, but the whole ignoring the consequences thing was raised to an art form in later seaons.
    Most of my beefs of the first 3 seasons in terms of inconsistent writing could be centered around the Season 2 Final/Season 3 opener.

The Martha pregnancy for starters(as I pointed out we don't see any physical evidence of it) to me was just a plot created to get to the endpoint of finding an excuse for Clark to get angry at himself, it was rather pointless beyond that. Other things in that episode that don't gel well for me is for the entire 2 seasons Jonathon seems to have it out for Lex but in Exodus he is almost a stand in for Lex's father treating him like a son. When Jonathon gave him the pocket watch the scene felt so forced. Helen Bryce instant change in attitude also was bad writing and came out of left field.

It should also be pointed out while I hated the way the show used Jor-El in Season 2, the Jor-El we saw in Relic felt like a completely different character(AI Jor-El is supposed to be an advanced computerized version of how Jor-El thinks)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast